Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Umi No Misaki: Latest Chapter Discussion

Umi no Misaki current chapter discussion spoilers

• Please log in to reply
274 replies to this topic

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts
  • LocationManetheren, but more realistically Southern California
Something Rinne said some chapters back occurred to me, and I went and looked it up. It is this page and the three following pages"

http://vatoto.com/read/_/40561/umi-no-misaki_v6_ch52_by_solaris-svu/10

It made me kind of wonder, as she was definitely talking about the maidens sacrificing themselves, as in the previous chapter (Honoring Okuhime) the three maidens sang that "The maidens died in the sea, and became Okuhime." It sounds as though the sacrifice was a real thing, and that she witnessed it, or was part of it.

At any event, I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going. I just hope it isn't a big seppuku-fest.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

Something Rinne said some chapters back occurred to me, and I went and looked it up. It is this page and the three following pages"

http://vatoto.com/read/_/40561/umi-no-misaki_v6_ch52_by_solaris-svu/10

It made me kind of wonder, as she was definitely talking about the maidens sacrificing themselves, as in the previous chapter (Honoring Okuhime) the three maidens sang that "The maidens died in the sea, and became Okuhime." It sounds as though the sacrifice was a real thing, and that she witnessed it, or was part of it.

At any event, I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going. I just hope it isn't a big seppuku-fest.

Oh I totally agree, for real sacrifice without a doubt. And there's more mention in other parts of the story of the Maidens sacrificing themselves as well. Of course a lot of the things that are referred to about the islands history and the maidens and the DG stretch back over a long, long time in history too. Not that I'm any kind of expert or have any idea where exactly this is going to go, but a lot of religious traditions from faith to faith have become a lot more symbolic in the modern day. But we'll see what happens.

And yeah, when I read that part before, I just assumed that both Rinne and Oba were recounting memories of past lives. Of course the whole reincarnation thing has been part of the story with Nagi is what made me think that. But we've since found out that Rinne does for sure remember her past life, sooooo.........maybe the same for the elders, or at least Oba, as well.

Tn7HA0h.png

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts
What would REALLY add confusion and tension to the story is the discovery that Oba is also the reincarnation of one of the DG's past soul mates. A few erotic dreams and some intimate afterward discussion of that would definitely throw a monkey wrench into Nagi's mental processes.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
Yayyy!! the wait is over, thanks to Wolfy Scans. There isn't any doubt who he's going to meet, right?

Tn7HA0h.png

netcow

netcow

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts
I bet it's soyogi.
Going to warn him for Karin...

Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationFormer Tenochtitlan

It was about time! That was a long break! And it was funny how Rinne was trying to be part of the harem now. And she was trying to sneak with him in such a funny way but she doesn´t look so naive or innocent as she once was, so it didn´t work. I thought that he would sleep only with Shizuku, but it won´t probably be the case :D I wish it doesn´t end to soon. I still cheer for Rinne, but who knows, she probably just reincarnate only to stop the double suicide ritual.

Yayyy!! the wait is over, thanks to Wolfy Scans. There isn't any doubt who he's going to meet, right?

Probably Karin, the last 2 chapters have focused on her. So it´s probably time for some KarinxNagi action

Hwa_Ryun_showing_both_eyes.png

Skrymir

Skrymir

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 15 posts
I don't think it's a double suicide. I mean, think about it. If it's a double suicide, then it means that the upcoming event should be on Nagi's birthday since he's born on the same day the Dragon God died.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

I bet it's soyogi.
Going to warn him for Karin...

Probably Karin, the last 2 chapters have focused on her. So it´s probably time for some KarinxNagi action

Well, I'm guessing Soyogi, she's the sneakiest and horniest too. Though Karin is a good possibility, like Cloud Strife says, given how she's been the one with the freak out going on about the upcoming festival and all the "she might kill you" stuff. Of course she's also in the same room as the other two girls so..........dunno, I guess we'll see. Personally I hope it's Soyogi looking to try her hand at raping him again.

Tn7HA0h.png

KelpTheGreat

KelpTheGreat

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 42 posts
Hmm, I wonder.... who is it that called him out? I'm thinking Shizuku, but it could be someone else, of course.

Samhill

Samhill

Potato

• Members
  • 151 posts
I'm guessing Soyogi too. She slipped the note in his room while everyone was eating. I want to say that it looks like someone with their swimsuit top down, but then there's that notch in her shoulder. Then again it could be one of the other girls on the island looking for answers.
"So round, so firm, so fully packed." - Daffy Duck, not talking about what you probably think he's talking about.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

I'm guessing Soyogi too. She slipped the note in his room while everyone was eating. I want to say that it looks like someone with their swimsuit top down, but then there's that notch in her shoulder. Then again it could be one of the other girls on the island looking for answers.

same here, I mean the last time we saw her in action she was pushing him down on the roof......never underestimate what a woman who's that horny is gonna do......

Tn7HA0h.png

omnipwnage

omnipwnage

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

same here, I mean the last time we saw her in action she was pushing him down on the roof......never underestimate what a woman who's that horny is gonna do......

It wasn't so much doing it on the roof.. as much as it was forcefully trying to do it while Rinne was watching

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

It wasn't so much doing it on the roof.. as much as it was forcefully trying to do it while Rinne was watching

I know, that Soyoi is something, she's like a cat in heat now that she's used to it....

Tn7HA0h.png

MasterFnarg

MasterFnarg

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • LocationUK
MY THEORY : Rinne came back to this life because in reality, death just splits you up and cuts short the time the dragon god has left on earth, there is no happy ending the way they are doing it now and its a misconception passed down from brainwashing granny to brainwashing granny. Shizuku see's that end as the ultimate symbol of her love and duty so shes big for it. Soyogi and Karin weren't trying to be the best maidens, Karin was messing around and Soyogi was just aiming at Shizuku, not a real commitment, that's why they have an actual brain. I doubt they took the whole maiden thing literally.

MY PREDICTION :I think Nagi will be forced into the festival (possibly after an escape attempt/confrontation) and end up choosing Shizuku (hoping she can be reasoned with like the others), the other girls will stop the ceremony and one of two things will happen. Nagi will be saved, Shizuku will gain a brain and happy end. But the tragedy tag haunts me, so I think the festival will be stopped but Shizuku will keep going and stab/drown/strangle/kill Nagi, the last image will be them sinking into the sea. And then an aftermarth chapter. Or maybe they get saved and don't go all the way. But seeing as no one is going to pass on the crazy to the next generation it will be the last double suicide, but not the last dragon god.

Edited by MasterFnarg, 09 November 2012 - 10:07 PM.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
@MasterFnarg

Yeah, all reasonable possibilities. Shizuka's personality since the Dragon Festival has gotten closer at least gives the appearance of someone who'd blithely drag their true love to their mutual death in the sea. I'm personally not convinced yet though.......I'll be surprised if both she and Oba turn out to really be the type of people to preside over and participate in an organized murder/suicide. But time will tell.........you never know.

Tn7HA0h.png

Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationFormer Tenochtitlan
It was Soyogi! But nothing happen. How much power does grandma has that she even stopped a ferry to arrive at the island. Even the tickets were already sold! It´s scary. And well, Nagi might die but I hope he can have some action with Soyogi and Karin before he walks into the sunset and drowns. A man must die happily don´t you guys think? :D.
Damn it does look like its gonna end soon. I wish we could see a 2nd season when Nagi survives, Karin saves him and Suzuki dies trying to kill him so the path is clear for Rinne... :). Just kidding.... A 2nd season where everyone survives and 3 years have passed and Nagi has his 4, 5 girls harem where Rinne is the Queen... But that is not gonna happen. Umi no Mizaki almost reaches Ai Yori Aoshi(author´s last work) lenght and Ai Yori Aoshi is so far more popular

Hwa_Ryun_showing_both_eyes.png

DrkTempest

DrkTempest

Potato

• Members
  • 100 posts
I'm thinking it's up to Rinne...stopping this must be the reason she's come back but convincing everyone that she is a former maiden will be hard. The only other thing I can think of is that Nagi actually throws some god-like power around. Nothing dramatic...just surviving what every they try to do to him...like not drowning or allowing anyone else to drown.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

I'm thinking it's up to Rinne...stopping this must be the reason she's come back

You could well be right.....I don't know how things will happen going forward in the story but I definitely agree that Rinne is a wild-card in all of this. I'm guessing her reincarnation and involvement in the situation with the current Dragon God incarnation is outside the norm.

Tn7HA0h.png

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts

The plot is getting pretty intricate, and the tragedy tag has been in the back of my head as well. I went back to the first page of the manga:
http://vatoto.com/read/_/40504/umi-no-misaki_v1_ch1_by_solaris-svu

In view of the events leading up to the latest chapters, the first page does give me the impression that Shizuku is no longer around when Nagi (I am assuming he is the narrator) was reflecting on this. Shizuku's character, with its' single-minded devotion to duty, is rather scary in a sense. I can see where it came from, with her mother having been a maiden who never gave her daughter any approval whatsoever, and basically left her completely alone when Shizuku became a maiden and the mother retired from her duties. Putting huge responsibilities on small children and removing them from the care of parents is NOT the way to raise well adjusted adults. The "Bleached Virgins" of Rapa Nui (Easter Island) raised in caves with little human contact may have been "holy," but I doubt they had a particularly happy or fulfilling life.

I was reflecting, while doing some re-reading, on what the "Dragon God" actually is to these people. The way Shizuku and Soyogi talk about him, he seems to be all-powerful, grand, and magnificent, and overflowing with love. The fact that no one has bothered to instruct him in anything (Rinne saying basically telling Nagi that he "didn't have to do anything") makes him seem, in a historical cultural sense, to be more of an object of worship that is perceived as existing as a living archetype, but heaven forbid that that said "god" has a personality or opinions of his own. His advice from Oba is pretty much summed up by, "You are our god. Now choose a maiden and get laid." He seems to be a personification, who is to be worshipped (on the surface), yet trussed up like a goose for the market, somewhat like the tortured idiot child in "The Ones who Walked Away from Omelas," or the police inspector in the movie "The Wicker Man." It's as though the islanders who know who he is have given him the maidens to serve him and take care of him (sexually, as well as cooking for him and such) while not telling the younger people (Shizue and the others) who he is. I didn't want it to be like this, but what is happening lately in the story does seem to point to him being setup as a sacrificial lamb big time.

That said, I am looking forward to the next chapters, as I really want to see where this is going.

Edited by Comadrin, 23 August 2013 - 09:13 PM.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
That "Tragedy" tag, that's always been there? I personally don't remember ever seeing it before and it's not a tag used on MangaUpdates.com for this manga either. I mean anyone can add genre tags here at any time they feel like it.

Tn7HA0h.png