Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Umi No Misaki: Latest Chapter Discussion

Umi no Misaki current chapter discussion spoilers

• Please log in to reply
274 replies to this topic

maffa

maffa

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • Locationitaly

nah i dont think the author went so far into messing with his readers... there are very few mangakas out there that plan plots from beginning to end before even writing a chapter, and IMO UnM was no exception. Usually mangakas make it up as they go, and us readers are lucky if the author can think 10-15 chapters ahead. He probably planted that little reference for further use in case he wanted to explore the mystery of the island later on, but then he turned for more ecchi stuff for some reason, hence the actress from mainland and the solo experiences with the maidens.

I would have expected an "unexpected" (pun intended) trip to mainland, maybe a confrontation with Negi's father, and to have a dip into (to us, still unkown) Negi's life before the island, maybe a best friend from middle school, maybe his first crush, something to know about his background. We got nothing, that's all doujinshi material now. All we know is the various degrees of the maidens' love for him (even though they dont know almost anything about him, just like us), their troubles with unknown feelings, and that pretty messy part about the Dragon festival.  

As i wrote before, i preferred AyA also because it was more coherent, complete and round from a narrative point of view. If you pluck some filler here and there, you could say that the plot was though with some time in advance (at least as soon as the continuation of the manga was confirmed)

Edited by maffa, 19 March 2014 - 08:51 AM.

Necron99

Necron99

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 35 posts

The first two chapters clearly foreshadow the Rising Dragon Festival.  

maffa

maffa

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • Locationitaly

The first two chapters could foreshadow whatever the author would have liked to do in the end. It's the ending that has to fit with the beginning, but the beginning can fit in more than one ending.

Necron99

Necron99

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 35 posts

I've released a new version of chapter 119.  The new version is close to medium quality and also has a much improved translation.  The new translation clarifies a few plot points, so please check it out.

HippieTheGreat

HippieTheGreat

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

So was that actually the end or was there going to be one more chapter?

Necron99

Necron99

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 35 posts

127 is the end, but there may be some bonus chapters or specials.

crossguy

crossguy

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationMiddle
If the author's intent was to make saps out of dedicated readers, I will be disappointed and extremely surprised.

Ah. I don't think so badly of the Author. I don't doubt his purpose was to keep us guessing,AND interested enough to buy the storyline.

This involved misdirection,hazy explanations, and the trademark of this series, the reverse telescoping of time.

I've seen plenty of tales with time skips- days/weeks/years- but this one had NONE till the tale's ending. And it was not unusual to have an evening be three or four chapters long!

That alone was quite a change from the usual storytelling.

Edited by crossguy, 21 March 2014 - 04:05 AM.

Necron99

Necron99

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 35 posts

Batoto are <insult redacted>.  I'm not releasing any more of my work her.  <insult redacted>.

Edited by KidCongo, 21 March 2014 - 08:40 AM.

maffa

maffa

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • Locationitaly

uh why?

seyrine

seyrine

Unemployed Kitty In A Penguin Suit

• Administrators
  • 1,830 posts
  • LocationLurking nearby...

I don't really get it, but I think it was because we refused to remove/take down the LQ versions of Umi no Misaki as it is against our policy. The site accepts all versions as long as they conform to the Hosting Guidelines. The policy allows us to become a platform for all kinds of groups and going back on that means we're going back on our principles. I understand why he's upset, but really it's not something that anyone should be upset about.

Catch my story; the Neverender Series

Batoto's Rules Repository | Rules, Guidelines and FAQs

Rules and Regulations | How to get help | Frequently Asked Questions

If all else fails, PM me. And use the REPORT button if you see any content that may violate site policy.

Catch me on irc.idlechat.net (#seyrine) and D.F.T.B.A.!

HippieTheGreat

HippieTheGreat

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
ya but now all the chapters necron did are gone off the reader....

maffa

maffa

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • Locationitaly

quick! lets go take them from mangareader! LOL

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

ya but now all the chapters necron did are gone off the reader....

Yeah, looks like it was basically a "removed by scanlator request", which is how Batoto handles things, they honor the scan group's wishes. If a scan group doesn't want their work rehosted, Batoto obliges and won't allow any of their stuff on the site. A shame, but that's how things go.  

http://vatoto.com/forums/topic/17530-replacing-speed-scans-done-by-a-different-scanalator/#entry1169986

Tn7HA0h.png

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts
  • LocationManetheren, but more realistically Southern California

Well, batoto, we now see the truth of the adage, "No good deed goes unpunished."

mitojee

mitojee

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts

Since I read this as a hentai-lite manga instead of as a regular manga with high ecchi content, the payoff at the end made sense to me. Heh heh. If you read the manga with that intent, it makes a bit more sense how the "climax" worked out, except I wish he had spent more time on the actual Festival "activities" ah-hem...but he had to stick to keeping the actual plot going so it made sense not to draw that out (since each girl already had their own make out session, though I wish the first two had a more fulfilling do-over--I guess we'll have to leave that to our imaginations or any doujinshi material)