Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Umi No Misaki: Latest Chapter Discussion

Umi no Misaki current chapter discussion spoilers

• Please log in to reply
274 replies to this topic

Thunder Wolf

Thunder Wolf

Fried Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 656 posts
  • LocationDiscord
As the title says. Now you won't have to post spoilers in the comments sections.

I'll start off by saying I'm curious as to the mysticism in the story. Will the dragon-god manifest itself within him somehow? There already seems to be some hints to that.

2z50p6t.png

Coca

Coca

Potato

• Members
  • 103 posts

Will the dragon-god manifest itself within him somehow? There already seems to be some hints to that.

Yeah, like his hair. In the beginning it was normal. Now he has Saiyan-level hair and I don't like it.

Before:
Spoiler

After:
Spoiler

But more seriously, the Dragon God doesn't "manifest itself" within Nagi. Nagi IS the Dragon God.
I believe the premise of the series is more symbolic than supernatural, so you won't see him flying around, talking to fish or controlling the tides if that's what you're looking for.
The core of the series seems to be about Nagi coming to terms with an incredibly different set of beliefs and traditions than that of the increasingly fast-paced modern world which he comes from.

On a different note, regarding the artwork, the character designs in general have become increasingly homogeneous and bland, which saddens me deeply.
The landscapes, ocean views, and background scenery were what drew me into this series in the first place and those are still spectacular. The best backgrounds I've ever seen in a manga, hands down.
If I could enter just one manga, it would be Umi no Misaki.

Edited by Coca, 10 March 2012 - 12:10 PM.

Thunder Wolf

Thunder Wolf

Fried Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 656 posts
  • LocationDiscord
Well, in the latest chapters, he "felt" something in the cave. So perhaps there will be supernatural things later on. In which case, I will lol.
That's what I'm referring to. He seems to literally feel something spiritual.

I also agree on you regarding the artwork.

2z50p6t.png

geomixxx

geomixxx

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
I think there is nothing supernatural about this manga. He is a normal man that encounters an island with a culture different than everything he knew. He is learning to be the Dragon God, but that's not a real thing.

The curiosity that I have in this manga was this sensation, that he is nothing but a normal person that receive knowledge about the culture and is "culturized" to be the Dragon God. The girls since children learned that they most serve the Dragon God. His personality makes the girls fall in love with him, and so forth.

He's learning to use it to his advantage conscious or unconsciously.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato
Awesome new releases thanks to Wolfy Scans. I was wondering if/when Rin was going to begin to have more of a role in the story, the author implied that she was even more special than the maidens early on in the story(she recognized Nagi for what he was the moment she met him, just like Oba-san). Remember how surprised Karin was at how Rin acted towards him? I'm not saying I know exactly what's going on with her but there's something with Nagi's dream(did she share the dream?) Can't wait for more. Thanks again Wolfy Scans.

Tn7HA0h.png

man00ver

man00ver

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 72 posts
I'm also highly curious about Rinne. Kudos to the author for patiently cooking the sense of mystery about her, and I really can't wait to hear what she has to say to Nagi next chapter. I hope she doesn't screw up the harem ending. I mean, Nagi was just getting set to grant his favor all around over the next couple days.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
Yeah, the whole harem thing is nice but I'm not sure it's meant to last. One thing that seems telling (to me, just speculation) is that there are NO second generation maidens on the island (the mothers are who I'm talking about, Nagi's, the maidens mothers, all gone, one way or another). Not only that when Nagi was being made the Dragon God, Oba-san mentioned his birthday as being "when the previous DG left us" not died, left. I may be reading too much into it, I mean the whole island paradise never ending baby making harem story sounds good, but I think there's a more complex plot that has been and is being fore shadowed.

Tn7HA0h.png

man00ver

man00ver

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 72 posts
I fully agree that we're going to see some challenges in the plot line, and that the previous history of dragon gods and maidens is beginning to trickle into the present setting. We'll have some dynamic tension and pathos to deal with, or else it wouldn't be worth reading, that's for sure.

But I'm betting that Nagi and these maidens are special, and will somehow find a way to circumnavigate the traps of tradition and win out in the (happy) end. Though it wouldn't be much of a surprise if self-sacrifice and tragedy figure in the story, I'm just hoping it's not fatal.

notwo

notwo

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

Yeah, the whole harem thing is nice but I'm not sure it's meant to last. One thing that seems telling (to me, just speculation) is that there are NO second generation maidens on the island (the mothers are who I'm talking about, Nagi's, the maidens mothers, all gone, one way or another). Not only that when Nagi was being made the Dragon God, Oba-san mentioned his birthday as being "when the previous DG left us" not died, left. I may be reading too much into it, I mean the whole island paradise never ending baby making harem story sounds good, but I think there's a more complex plot that has been and is being fore shadowed.

Same month/day, not same year... Plus, the girl in the dream in the cave was a previou incarnation of Rin and she was aware of the dream, so... was it really a dream or an spiritual encounter?

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Same month/day, not same year... Plus, the girl in the dream in the cave was a previou incarnation of Rin and she was aware of the dream, so... was it really a dream or an spiritual encounter?

Oh yeah, Rin's previous life, that's a good possibility, I said before there was more to Rin than met the eye, now I really can't wait for the next chapter. The whole mystic angle of this manga is still up for debate, it makes it a lot more fun to keep wondering if anything supernatural is really going on or not.

Tn7HA0h.png

sentry

sentry

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • LocationThe ever distant utopia

Oh yeah, Rin's previous life, that's a good possibility, I said before there was more to Rin than met the eye, now I really can't wait for the next chapter. The whole mystic angle of this manga is still up for debate, it makes it a lot more fun to keep wondering if anything supernatural is really going on or not.

I totally agree because since he is the reincarnation of the dragon god, i was expecting something like tis sooner or later and i can't wait anymore.
If only i had some money to contribute or if i could read japanese i would help to translate but infortunately, i am pretty limited and must wait for the translator.

26.jpg

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

I totally agree because since he is the reincarnation of the dragon god, i was expecting something like tis sooner or later and i can't wait anymore.
If only i had some money to contribute or if i could read japanese i would help to translate but infortunately, i am pretty limited and must wait for the translator.

Yeah, I don't know what to say about the scan group issue, like so many manga and manhwa, we'll just have to wait and cross our fingers for luck and more releases. Wolfy does awesome work, I really hope to see more of this one.

Tn7HA0h.png

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts
  • LocationManetheren, but more realistically Southern California
Pretty awesome. I haven't analyzed it as closely as some of you, but it seems as though it could go in almost any direction now. Like other posters, I gathered that Rinne San had some special knowledge the other girls didn't possess from some time ago, but had no idea what it was. It is really getting more and more interesting, and hope that the mangaka keeps it going as a good story.

Also, have to agree that the art has (can't really claim "degenerated," maybe changed is better) from pretty clear and serene to slightly more comic and slapdash.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
Yeah, the author had hinted to Rinne having a special insight quite early in the story (like in the first 2-3 chapters) but it's only recently that it's started unfolding as to why.

This really continues to be a very good manga, a great mix of humor and light drama, not a super-deep story line but very entertaining all the way from the beginning to the present. Thanks again Wolfy Scans.

Tn7HA0h.png

ernabc

ernabc

Potato

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationRomania
It is something so evident but not pointed here: any God is way beyond the costoms usualy made to warship him. Our guy IS the God and can do anything about this. (including to make them stop the warshiping) .

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

It is something so evident but not pointed here: any God is way beyond the costoms usualy made to warship him. Our guy IS the God and can do anything about this. (including to make them stop the warshiping) .

Good point, and actually Nagi already has done some of this when he stopped the Maidens from unemotionally serving him when he was first named as the Dragon God. They wanted to serve him as Cape Maidens and he wanted to get to know them as people. He won....like you said, go figure, he's the Dragon God.

Tn7HA0h.png

ernabc

ernabc

Potato

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationRomania
It is many times said that a god without folowers has almost no divine power. His power might be limited in that area. Stopping them he'll actually transform into a normal guy, that means 90% no harem ending. (yeah, bad for us- guys) but the unchosen maidens will be free to go anywhere and chose from thousends of good men.

Edited by ernabc, 10 August 2012 - 07:02 AM.

omnipwnage

omnipwnage

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

It is many times said that a god without folowers has almost no divine power. His power might be limited in that area. Stopping them he'll actually transform into a normal guy, that means 90% no harem ending. (yeah, bad for us- guys) but the unchosen maidens will be free to go anywhere and chose from thousends of good men.

I'd just like to input that as soon as the maidens reach 'adult age' (I believe that's what it said, anyway), that they were free to choose any man they wanted. After all, that's how Nagi was born in the first place.

As for the overall tone of the series, I would personally love a happy ending, but to me it looks like this will end in a "The two walked out into the sea and traversed out of their mortal existence" feeling from it.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

I'd just like to input that as soon as the maidens reach 'adult age' (I believe that's what it said, anyway), that they were free to choose any man they wanted. After all, that's how Nagi was born in the first place.

As for the overall tone of the series, I would personally love a happy ending, but to me it looks like this will end in a "The two walked out into the sea and traversed out of their mortal existence" feeling from it.

That seems like a good possibility. For me it's hard to say, I really don't know what's going to happen, not as far as actual romantic pairings, harem endings, or what will eventually happen to our MC's. There really seems to me to be a lot of possible paths the story might take and end with.

I've said it before, one thing that has struck me about the whole situation on the island is that none of the maiden's parents are there, for that matter there are very few residents that we've seen that aren't elderly or young enough to be dependent. That and the island leaders have never exactly said they expect the Dragon God to stay there and live happily ever after either. Nagi's mother certainly left the island, as it seems have all the previous maidens, at least we haven't seen any of them still on the island that we know of (or at least ones that aren't old and now running the show).

Edited by svines85, 24 August 2012 - 05:56 PM.

Tn7HA0h.png

omnipwnage

omnipwnage

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

I've said it before, one thing that has struck me about the whole situation on the island is that none of the maiden's parents are there, for that matter there are very few residents that we've seen that aren't elderly or young enough to be dependent. That and the island leaders have never exactly said they expect the Dragon God to stay there and live happily ever after either. Nagi's mother certainly left the island, as it seems have all the previous maidens, at least we haven't seen any of them still on the island that we know of (or at least ones that aren't old and now running the show).

The issue with the shrine maidens parents was covered fairly well in the earlier-ish chapters, as was noted by Shizuku. When Nagi and she went to the main island, they noted her mother was among them that were giving reverence. Because the maidens are revered as Gods, they are segregated as they are no longer 'people.' The exception would be Karin, in which case it hasn't been said where her parents are located, or if they're even alive.

As for 'other parents' in the series, I haven't been bothered by it. The focus of this work is the Dragon God, his interactions with the Cape Maidens, and the island, using other characters as temporary mediums (mostly Tamae.) Because of this, you see very little interaction with normal people whom may have parents at home. It could also be said that the older generation gets help on manual labor from their grandchildren, while the parents work in businesses on the main island.