Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Umi No Misaki: Latest Chapter Discussion

Umi no Misaki current chapter discussion spoilers

• Please log in to reply
274 replies to this topic

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

The issue with the shrine maidens parents was covered fairly well in the earlier-ish chapters, as was noted by Shizuku. When Nagi and she went to the main island, they noted her mother was among them that were giving reverence. Because the maidens are revered as Gods, they are segregated as they are no longer 'people.' The exception would be Karin, in which case it hasn't been said where her parents are located, or if they're even alive.

As for 'other parents' in the series, I haven't been bothered by it. The focus of this work is the Dragon God, his interactions with the Cape Maidens, and the island, using other characters as temporary mediums (mostly Tamae.) Because of this, you see very little interaction with normal people whom may have parents at home. It could also be said that the older generation gets help on manual labor from their grandchildren, while the parents work in businesses on the main island.

I certainly remember the scene you're talking about, I don't remember that explanation though. No biggie, I'm sure you're right, for that matter I'm rereading the series right now (off and on at least). I'm at around chp 50 so I'm sure I'll come across it again sooner or later.

So, segregated out of society as "non people"....doesn't sound like too happy of an ending to me. I mean as I remember the scene her mom was ignored. I guess that's part of what makes me wonder just how "happy" an ending we're heading for. Of course there's really nothing right now but guess work, since the Dragon god was reincarnated after hundreds of years we've really got no precedent to look at as to how things will play out.

Tn7HA0h.png

omnipwnage

omnipwnage

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

I certainly remember the scene you're talking about, I don't remember that explanation though. No biggie, I'm sure you're right, for that matter I'm rereading the series right now (off and on at least). I'm at around chp 50 so I'm sure I'll come across it again sooner or later.

So, segregated out of society as "non people"....doesn't sound like too happy of an ending to me. I mean as I remember the scene her mom was ignored. I guess that's part of what makes me wonder just how "happy" an ending we're heading for. Of course there's really nothing right now but guess work, since the Dragon god was reincarnated after hundreds of years we've really got no precedent to look at as to how things will play out.

Yea... they touched on the subject that the 'main' cape maiden is secluded from everyone else (remember that Shizuku's house is located in the middle of nowhere, with no neighbors, and that she used manga as a filler for 'What is it like in normal society?' Because Shizuku was selected for this, Soyogi forced herself into the same situation because she 'didn't want to fall behind.'

Lastly, to touch on the maidens a little more, they were very far from happy before Nagi arrived. The mangaka touches on this subject a couple different times throughout the story, to help drive home that "If Nagi didn't show up on the island, the maidens would not have lived with happiness." That is bleak, but it helps pull the reader to the understanding that the three have grown as individuals that were released from a title of Cape Maidens to being three girls whom are growing as individuals.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Yea... they touched on the subject that the 'main' cape maiden is secluded from everyone else (remember that Shizuku's house is located in the middle of nowhere, with no neighbors, and that she used manga as a filler for 'What is it like in normal society?' Because Shizuku was selected for this, Soyogi forced herself into the same situation because she 'didn't want to fall behind.'

Lastly, to touch on the maidens a little more, they were very far from happy before Nagi arrived. The mangaka touches on this subject a couple different times throughout the story, to help drive home that "If Nagi didn't show up on the island, the maidens would not have lived with happiness." That is bleak, but it helps pull the reader to the understanding that the three have grown as individuals that were released from a title of Cape Maidens to being three girls whom are growing as individuals.

Yup, yup.
Well, I'm sure it's a matter of personal interpretation, but none of the maidens struck me as unhappy before Nagi arrived. They were raised from infancy to serve and accept their duty, and on top of that revered.Certainly Shizuku was fascinated by stories of the outside world, but that was all. Even when she let her cool facade slip when first meeting Nagi she she was upbeat and outgoing. But of course they're happier, after all the god's coming was awaited for generations.

Tn7HA0h.png

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

The issue with the shrine maidens parents was covered fairly well in the earlier-ish chapters, as was noted by Shizuku. When Nagi and she went to the main island, they noted her mother was among them that were giving reverence. Because the maidens are revered as Gods, they are segregated as they are no longer 'people.' The exception would be Karin, in which case it hasn't been said where her parents are located, or if they're even alive.

Yeah, I just don't see what you're talking about. I just read chp 53-54 with the whole Shizuku and her mom thing, and I don't see where it's mentioned why Shizuku's mom isn't on Okitsu. Also, while Shizuku was being adored on Hontsu, her mom was slinking by in total anonymity. And as far as the shrine maidens parents being covered in the early chapters.........I don't see it.

Yup, I find it mysterious all the past shrine maidens aren't on the island anymore and I wonder that it won't bear on the remaining story.

Tn7HA0h.png

omnipwnage

omnipwnage

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

Yeah, I just don't see what you're talking about. I just read chp 53-54 with the whole Shizuku and her mom thing, and I don't see where it's mentioned why Shizuku's mom isn't on Okitsu. Also, while Shizuku was being adored on Hontsu, her mom was slinking by in total anonymity. And as far as the shrine maidens parents being covered in the early chapters.........I don't see it.

Yup, I find it mysterious all the past shrine maidens aren't on the island anymore and I wonder that it won't bear on the remaining story.

Well... I do see where you're coming from on that angle. On one hand, the Cape Maidens, much like the Dragon God, are revered as 'living gods,' meaning that when new Maidens appear, and the present ones mature (come of age?), they are no longer revered. Thus, Shizuku's mother would no longer be considered a Cape Maiden, and the mother would worship her own daughter. As the maidens are considered segregated from normal people, casual interactions would be something considered taboo or blasphemy, even if she is Shizuku's mother.

On the other hand, I can't honestly say why the only two examples of Cape Maidens are presented as living off the island. Karin's parents aren't covered at all, mother or father, and Soyogi's parents aren't really mentioned either. So it's really hard to tell if the mangaka omitted this information because it doesn't add to the story (even though it would help add to character development), or if it's something to add some mystery or suspense later in the story. If I had to choose, I'd want to be on board with your thoughts and have it add to the mystique of the island and it's history.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

On the other hand, I can't honestly say why the only two examples of Cape Maidens are presented as living off the island. Karin's parents aren't covered at all, mother or father, and Soyogi's parents aren't really mentioned either. So it's really hard to tell if the mangaka omitted this information because it doesn't add to the story (even though it would help add to character development), or if it's something to add some mystery or suspense later in the story. If I had to choose, I'd want to be on board with your thoughts and have it add to the mystique of the island and it's history.

That's exactly what I started thinking about as the mysteries of the island started being revealed. I mean, how natural in any other story would it be to see the girls mothers offering advice? Either how to be a better Maiden or how to better seduce a Dragon God? Every time I think something is strange in a manga (and the almost total absence of middle aged people on the island, especially those girls parents, not just mothers, I find very strange) I think "foreshadowing". The author leaving a trail of "bread crumbs" to some truth about the story we don't know yet.

>___<

Of course I've been wrong plenty, too, so we'll just have to wait and see. However things turn out it's a great story.

Tn7HA0h.png

Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationFormer Tenochtitlan
I really liked this manga but after the last few chapters, it´s now one of my favorites. This is not a normal harem-love story, regular girls trying to go out with the main protagonist. All the maidens have prepared all their lives to be with the Dragon God, is their reason to exist. Or at least, it´s what the other islanders think. It´s gonna be tragic when he chooses one. It´s gonna be a shock for the others, probably bad enough to jump from the cliff... Personally I think it should be between Shizuku and Rinne. It would be REALLY tragic for Rinne to lose him, even more that the others. Imagine that, you know he is your soul mate, you REMEMBER your past life with him, as if it is happening in that moment, and to lose him because you are not old enough...

Hwa_Ryun_showing_both_eyes.png

omnipwnage

omnipwnage

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

I really liked this manga but after the last few chapters, it´s now one of my favorites. This is not a normal harem-love story, regular girls trying to go out with the main protagonist. All the maidens have prepared all their lives to be with the Dragon God, is their reason to exist. Or at least, it´s what the other islanders think. It´s gonna be tragic when he chooses one. It´s gonna be a shock for the others, probably bad enough to jump from the cliff... Personally I think it should be between Shizuku and Rinne. It would be REALLY tragic for Rinne to lose him, even more that the others. Imagine that, you know he is your soul mate, you REMEMBER your past life with him, as if it is happening in that moment, and to lose him because you are not old enough...

Though I agree with you on some points (That it will most likely be tragic for the other two,) but I would personally find it creep, far far too creepy if he chose Rinne. On the soul mate portion, for clarification, that's not quite the right wording for it. The Cape Maidens all have the ability to win the Dragon God's blessing, and it just so happens that one of the Maidens, whom had received a blessing previously, was reborn. I imagine that they will use this as a way to tie reincarnation (both for the Dragon God and the chosen Cape Maidens) into the story later.

However, if they do start with Rinne being a potential candidate, that Nagi 'dates' like the other three.. I'll likely stop reading. It would leave a pretty bad taste in my mouth.. much like Akane-Iro. That's just my personal opinion anyway.

Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 981 posts
It will be tragic for the other three. I wasn´t clear enough, my bad. If he waits 4 years I don´t find it creep at all. Heck, when there is true love, more than 10 years apart is not an issue at all. And for your soulmate... It´s nothing. Sorry, English is not my first language, what is the right wording for it? The Cape Maidens are chosen by normal people not by destiny, kami-sama or whatever you want to call it. I would agree if the Dragon God and Rinne weren´t reborn, it´s a tradition. But they are, and there is no coincidence that they were born almost at the same time. They had the same dream/memories. Rinne is not a Cape maiden, at least not yet, I don´t know if that can be changed though.
Of course right now it wouldn´t be appropiate. But after sometime... He goes back to tokyo, then comes back, there is no problem. Honestly, wouldn´t you wait 3, 4 years for your soulmate?

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

If he waits 4 years I don´t find it creep at all. Heck, when there is true love, more than 10 years apart is not an issue at all. And for your soulmate... It´s nothing.
Of course right now it wouldn´t be appropiate. But after sometime... He goes back to tokyo, then comes back, there is no problem. Honestly, wouldn´t you wait 3, 4 years for your soulmate?

Agreed, after all, they've said he has to "bestow favor" on the maidens, no one has said anything about marriage or even monogamy. For that matter, they haven't specifically said anything about fathering children by them, either. Like Cloud Strife points out, all the current maidens were chosen, and though they might all be descendants of the previous Dragon God, we don't really know that for sure. I mean it's been many generations since his last incarnation, so the rest of this story is really up in the air as to what might, or might not, happen. They say he has to "choose" soon, but, well.........we'll see, I personally think all the girls (call it harem if you want), Rinne included, are all still in play.

Tn7HA0h.png

omnipwnage

omnipwnage

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

It will be tragic for the other three. I wasn´t clear enough, my bad. If he waits 4 years I don´t find it creep at all. Heck, when there is true love, more than 10 years apart is not an issue at all. And for your soulmate... It´s nothing. Sorry, English is not my first language, what is the right wording for it? The Cape Maidens are chosen by normal people not by destiny, kami-sama or whatever you want to call it. I would agree if the Dragon God and Rinne weren´t reborn, it´s a tradition. But they are, and there is no coincidence that they were born almost at the same time. They had the same dream/memories. Rinne is not a Cape maiden, at least not yet, I don´t know if that can be changed though.

To be honest, I'm not 100% on the 'qualifications' required for Cape Maidens. If I remember right, it's 'daughters of previous Cape Maidens' have the initial qualification (whereas a son of a Cape Maiden is supposedly the Dragon God, sorry if these two bits are wrong,) but I have no idea what the other requirements are after that.
As for the latter half of what you said.. I doubt the council would let/ want him to go back to Tokyo, or away from the island for that matter. Sure, if he wanted to be with Rinne, I would have no problems with him waiting years for it to come to fruition. But he doesn't have that. He has a very limited number of days with which to make a decision at the upcoming festival.

Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 981 posts

Agreed, after all, they've said he has to "bestow favor" on the maidens, no one has said anything about marriage or even monogamy. For that matter, they haven't specifically said anything about fathering children by them, either. Like Cloud Strife points out, all the current maidens were chosen, and though they might all be descendants of the previous Dragon God, we don't really know that for sure. I mean it's been many generations since his last incarnation, so the rest of this story is really up in the air as to what might, or might not, happen. They say he has to "choose" soon, but, well.........we'll see, I personally think all the girls (call it harem if you want), Rinne included, are all still in play.

They can´t marry anyway. They are freaking underage! The islanders shouldn´t be able to force him to chose his lover whenever they want to. Maybe that´s why they are doing in it right now, while the maidens and the Dragon God are still easily manipulated. I don´t know... LOL Harem ending always solves all the problems. Personally i would reduce it between Shizuku and Rinne. Shizuku still has an opportunity. After all, she was the first islander he met. She found her again by the cape/cliff. Fate is not as strong as with Rinne but a lot better compared to Soyogi or Karin.

To be honest, I'm not 100% on the 'qualifications' required for Cape Maidens. If I remember right, it's 'daughters of previous Cape Maidens' have the initial qualification (whereas a son of a Cape Maiden is supposedly the Dragon God, sorry if these two bits are wrong,) but I have no idea what the other requirements are after that.
As for the latter half of what you said.. I doubt the council would let/ want him to go back to Tokyo, or away from the island for that matter. Sure, if he wanted to be with Rinne, I would have no problems with him waiting years for it to come to fruition. But he doesn't have that. He has a very limited number of days with which to make a decision at the upcoming festival.

About the requirements, I am not sure either. I don´t think the islanders would be that scary. Well, who knows, maybe he can leave, but he won´t be able to come back... or chose a maiden anymore. He could wait for Rinne to grow up until she can leave and go to Tokyo with him. But something tells me she might not want to leave her island. Why kami-sama/superior entity would show Rinne all those memories (and WHAT memories! :blush: ) if her role is only to look after the current maidens. It would be too cruel. Maybe if the Dragon God and Rinne talk about their dreams with her grandma, they might be able to change something?

Edited by Cloud Strife, 01 September 2012 - 03:00 AM.

omnipwnage

omnipwnage

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

They can´t marry anyway. They are freaking underage! The islanders shouldn´t be able to force him to chose his lover whenever they want to. Maybe that´s why they are doing in it right now, while the maidens and the Dragon God are still easily manipulated. I don´t know... LOL Harem ending always solves all the problems. Personally i would reduce it between Shizuku and Rinne. Shizuku still has an opportunity. After all, she was the first islander he met. She found her again by the cape/cliff. Fate is not as strong as with Rinne but a lot better compared to Soyogi or Karin.

As far as a civil marriage, you're half right. Nagi is underage, but the Maidens are over 16 (therefor legal with consent). And in concern for having to choose soon, I'm sure the author has something up his sleeve; The finer details of the story are still in the dark, and though we have some clues as foreshadowing, it only shows us a few pieces.

About the requirements, I am not sure either. I don´t think the islanders would be that scary. Well, who knows, maybe he can leave, but he won´t be able to come back... or chose a maiden anymore. He could wait for Rinne to grow up until she can leave and go to Tokyo with him. But something tells me she might not want to leave her island. Why kami-sama/superior entity would show Rinne all those memories (and WHAT memories! :blush: ) if her role is only to look after the current maidens. It would be too cruel. Maybe if the Dragon God and Rinne talk about their dreams, they might be able to change something?

I'm all over the place mentally in concern to what would potentially happen if he left the island. It could be something like the entire island would lose their blessing, and be swallowed by the ocean, or something less likely like his soul 'staying with the island.' Chances are that whatever calamity the island was facing when they sacrificed the Maidens in the first place would return. Lastly, the last part of what you said already happened. Rinne came into Nagi's room and night, snuck in his bed, and kissed him. (Late chapter 90's or chapter 100 I believe? Though they didn't really talk considerably, only enough for Rinne to say her 'previous memories' were scarce.)

Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 981 posts

As far as a civil marriage, you're half right. Nagi is underage, but the Maidens are over 16 (therefor legal with consent).

I'm all over the place mentally in concern to what would potentially happen if he left the island. It could be something like the entire island would lose their blessing, and be swallowed by the ocean, or something less likely like his soul 'staying with the island.' Chances are that whatever calamity the island was facing when they sacrificed the Maidens in the first place would return. Lastly, the last part of what you said already happened. Rinne came into Nagi's room and night, snuck in his bed, and kissed him. (Late chapter 90's or chapter 100 I believe? Though they didn't really talk considerably, only enough for Rinne to say her 'previous memories' were scarce.)

But they would still need his parents consent. I don´t think there would be a problem with her parents consent though, au contraire. Again, my bad. I didn´t finish the sentence. Maybe if the Dragon God and Rinne talk about their dreams with HER GRANDMA/elders, they might be able to change something. Right now the only ones that know are Rinne/Dragon God. But if her grandma were to know this, she might be able to see it as a sign and cancel/postpone the ceremony.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
GREAT new chapter, I love Wolfy Scans take on it too, that's the same thought I've had a lot of times when I've been reading this story!

Spoiler

Tn7HA0h.png

DrkTempest

DrkTempest

Potato

• Members
  • 100 posts
It seems kind of odd that after all this time they are finally hinting as something terrible happening. It's seems like the kind of warning you'd get a little earlier.Then again, if summer break only last about a month, then all of this happened really fast. In fact it may be happening in real time but I'll leave it to other to count how many days have actually passed.
I think the water maiden is the biggest risk, because out of the three, she is the most devout and likely to follow through on traditional sacrifice where the other two would likely balk.

omnipwnage

omnipwnage

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon
yes! I knew they'd have to add the tragic tag to this series eventually. Though, it's not specifically set in stone. And it really makes it feel like this series will wrap up "soon" ("Soon" could be anything between 10 to another 60 chapters, so it's hard to tell.) Does anyone else think this is likely to end soon?

Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 981 posts

GREAT new chapter, I love Wolfy Scans take on it too, that's the same thought I've had a lot of times when I've been reading this story!

Spoiler

Wow, All the islanders looked very nice. But I suppose that stuff like this happen when there is a really secretive, mysterious cult/religion. they didn´t want foreigner to know a thing about it. I said that maybe a cape maiden could end up jumping off a cliff, but not taking the Dragon God with her! :D

It seems kind of odd that after all this time they are finally hinting as something terrible happening. It's seems like the kind of warning you'd get a little earlier.Then again, if summer break only last about a month, then all of this happened really fast. In fact it may be happening in real time but I'll leave it to other to count how many days have actually passed.
I think the water maiden is the biggest risk, because out of the three, she is the most devout and likely to follow through on traditional sacrifice where the other two would likely balk.

Actually, I believe that Soyogi is the most devout. Shizuku is the most important cape maiden, but she reads manga, lots of it. And that could reduce her fanatism. Am I being too optimistic? :D

Does anyone else think this is likely to end soon?

It´s possible. The author´s previous work, Ai Yori Aoshi, it only had 140 chapters. And it was pretty popular, two anime seasons.

This is getting interesting! Does the cape maiden have to sacrifice herserf with the Dragon God for the sake of the island? Did Rinne killed the Dragon-God in her previous life?(I could end up traumatized!) Was she reborn so It doesn´t happen again? Is this manga gonna go all "Higurashi no Naku Koro ni" on us

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Well, personally, I'm just kidding, I really don't think there's anything truly malicious in the plans of the island elders or Shizuku, for that matter. And the "getting thrown off a cliff" bit was only because there isn't a volcano on the island to throw someone in, wouldn't that be the most cliche old religious sacrifice thingy? :D

But that being said, I also don't think that anyone's long term happiness (the maiden's or the DG's) is in the island elder's plans either. There's just been too much talk and about personal sacrifice and duty in the name of the good of the island and its people to think (for me) that that's really something they would overly concern themselves with. As far as what Karin is talking about with Shizuku.........I don't know for sure, but I"d guess it's more like Nagi getting put in a position of sacrificing himself, or maybe just the "spiritual" dragon god part of himself, rather than thinking Shizuku is actually going to kill him. But who knows for sure yet, i guess we'll just have to wait and see. Also, judging by Rinne's thoughts, she doesn't think the maidens really know the truth about the upcoming festival either.

Tn7HA0h.png

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts
  • LocationManetheren, but more realistically Southern California
Let's see:

1. He might die from the maiden of the sea, if she throws him off the cliff into the sea.

2. The maiden of the wind couldn't throw him high enough into the air to hurt him (although Soyogi IS pretty badass, which is what I love about her).

3. The maiden of fire could push him into a fire, which,depending on the size of the fire, could could be trivial or royally suck.

The forgoing, by the way, is meant for humor, not serious speculation!