Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.7 - 387votes)

Ran to Haiiro no Sekai

Alt Names: alt 小亂之魔法家族alt 乱と灰色の世界alt Ran and the Ashen Worldalt Ran and the Gray Worldalt Ran and the Grey Worldalt Ran ve Gri Dünyaalt Rans magiska värld
Author: Irie Aki
Artist: Irie Aki
Genres: Comedy ComedyFantasy FantasyRomance RomanceSeinen SeinenSlice of Life Slice of LifeSupernatural Supernatural
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Meet the Urumas, a slightly dysfunctional family of four sorcerers. Mom, being the most powerful sorceress around, works away from home keeping the world safe. Dad picks up the slack and takes care of the family. Except when he's out, which is when the older brother Jin finds himself in the unenviable position of keeping tabs on his sister Ran. And Ran, the youngest, is a willful girl with too much power and too little wisdom. Let's take a look at Ran's everyday misadventures, shall we?
Go to Ran to Haiiro no Sekai Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic A defense of the creeper New Window granolabar
  • 3 Replies
Topic Outarou & Ran, Pedophilic ass and ignorant little girl New Window truepurple
  • 44 Replies
Topic Latest Ch. Discussion New Window kulekrizpy
  • 3 Replies
Topic Application of the term loli New Window truepurple
  • 13 Replies

425 Comments

but thanks for the read, dad.

Luke, I am your father.

People! Use spoilers or either go on the forum. These debates belong there.

Thanks for the new chapter!

God, how annoying people can be. I loved Outarou and you people hated them, so what? He's dead anyway. Move on. 

Another wild pedo appears. New target for the hate of you all, cheer up. 

The name of the chapter is wrong, btw. It's supposed to be chapter 36. 

Let's leave the Outarou character analyzations (and this rather hostile arguing) behind with this new arc. (:

And so what is your point then, if Outarou is an asshole pervert cunt? What is any of the Outarou dissent trying to say of significant measure?

( a ) Because I know you're not implying that you're not a jerk yourself on some level (you're kind of proving it here, in any case), or that you've been attracted to the 'right person' from the get go (though that may be too far from me, but hell, I'll roll the dice).

( b ) No, face to surface, Outarou isn't to be respected for his character or love choice. But if you're any measure of honest with yourself, you can relate to him. It may not be a pretty view, but we still connect there.

umm dude, can you argue against what i've written and not what you think i've written?

( a ) what does any of this have to do with whether he's a cunt or not (which he is)? I never implied that I was a great person, I never claimed that people who like the character are bad people. What I did however say is that Outarou's a cunt. Can you see how it's perfectly possible to make a judgment on a fictional character without simultaneously making an indictment against the real people who might enjoy/hate said character? does logic even get through to you?

( b ) what does this even have to do with what I've written? whether or not i can relate to him doesn't change what i think about him. did i call him a cunt because i couldn't relate to him? furthermore you're assuming that i don't respect the character. as a matter of fact i thought that the author gave him a very nice send-off (hope the bastard's truly dead, though) and while i did enjoy seeing him interact with characters such as hibiki and jin i'm not however blind to his creepiness and the fact that he's an all-around douchebag.

can you see how you don't have to like a character even though you might feel that the author made him perfect for the role? do you also see how your attempt at psychoanalysis was just widely off-base and in hindsight kind of pathetic? can you promise me that you'll actually read the words that are on the page instead of the words you wish were on the page the next time you reply to me? (seriously, can you do this? thanks.)

but keep up the PLG-cheerleading (and sorry for daring to disagree with your sacred cow), if nothing else it's entertaining.

I greatly disliked the guy as a person, but he was still an interesting and complex as well as annoying character. Being all those things and more, that's Outarou for you.

What bugged me the most wasn't the character himself per se, but the manga's overall approach to romance. That whole 'wolf guy in heat' arc epitomizes my problem with the romance in this series. It's all about the male being forceful and aggressive, and I didn't get much of a sense of buildup. It's all done in a fit of emotion. Even the boy who's Rin's age is forceful about his defense of her from Outarou. There's not much about the female making a choice, even if they were both receptive and interested in the first place. It's all raging male libido and passive female libido.

I'll admit that my feelings about the romance colors my feelings about the manga as a whole. There's a lot I like in it, the sense of wonder and whimsy, the really pretty art, a number of the characters, stuff like that. But ultimately, I'm left with a mixed feeling.

snip

PLG wins again.

But since my pessimist is raring on red bull right now, I'll just say I find it telling, the judgment of the internet's pitchfork committee on Outarou's character. Off base, AND revealing just as bad, if not worse character than the target themselves.

By no means is Outarou an admiral person, by his terrible personality, and even his choice of love.

But also by no means is he a stock antagonist. Few in manga feel as real as Outarou was.

one can understand all the above and still conclude that outaro is an asshole pervert. complexity and whatnot does not suddenly excuse the character from (possibly) being a cunt. a complex, deep, and incredibly conflicted [add your pet adjectives here] cunt at the end of the day is still a cunt. but thanks for the read, dad.

And so what is your point then, if Outarou is an asshole pervert cunt? What is any of the Outarou dissent trying to say of significant measure?

Because I know you're not implying that you're not a jerk yourself on some level (you're kind of proving it here, in any case), or that you've been attracted to the 'right person' from the get go (though that may be too far from me, but hell, I'll roll the dice).

No, face to surface, Outarou isn't to be respected for his character or love choice. But if you're any measure of honest with yourself, you can relate to him. It may not be a pretty view, but we still connect there.

God many of the commenters here are being superficial.  Do you actually have to shrink everything until you think one word describes it?

Really, I've seen way more annoying romance objects than Outarou used by mangaka who didn't even understand what was wrong with them.  But this guy, this guy was deployed in full and clear knowledge of his flaws by an author who was using those flaws to do all kinds of stuff, from drive the story to push symbolism.  It's depressing that the very skill that successfully puts these characters under our skin is pushing people to emote so hard they ignore Outarou's complexity and ambiguity.  He's not a simple villain, people, and foaming on him whether for pedo or assholery or calling him a rapist is not just questionable accuracy, it's missing boatloads of points.

He had to be like this to drive the plot the way he did, to make counterpoint with the insects the way he did, to represent the modern world of money and consumption that knows the price of everything and the value of nothing the way he did, to represent the superficial lure of the adult world the way he did, and tons more shit.  You cannot show the possibility of redemption without a character who needs to be redeemed.  I could write a freaking master's thesis about this guy, and no I'm not exaggerating for effect--I could totally go back to Uni, find a modern-ish English prof who was into genre studies and stuff, and write dozens of pages of scholarly analysis and get my MA, using this manga and this character as my subject material.

one can understand all the above and still conclude that outaro is an asshole pervert. complexity and whatnot does not suddenly excuse the character from (possibly) being a cunt. a complex, deep, and incredibly conflicted [add your pet adjectives here] cunt at the end of the day is still a cunt. but thanks for the read, dad.

Japanese-equivalent of the Doctor has arrived!?

God many of the commenters here are being superficial.  Do you actually have to shrink everything until you think one word describes it?

Really, I've seen way more annoying romance objects than Outarou used by mangaka who didn't even understand what was wrong with them.  But this guy, this guy was deployed in full and clear knowledge of his flaws by an author who was using those flaws to do all kinds of stuff, from drive the story to push symbolism.  It's depressing that the very skill that successfully puts these characters under our skin is pushing people to emote so hard they ignore Outarou's complexity and ambiguity.  He's not a simple villain, people, and foaming on him whether for pedo or assholery or calling him a rapist is not just questionable accuracy, it's missing boatloads of points.

He had to be like this to drive the plot the way he did, to make counterpoint with the insects the way he did, to represent the modern world of money and consumption that knows the price of everything and the value of nothing the way he did, to represent the superficial lure of the adult world the way he did, and tons more shit.  You cannot show the possibility of redemption without a character who needs to be redeemed.  I could write a freaking master's thesis about this guy, and no I'm not exaggerating for effect--I could totally go back to Uni, find a modern-ish English prof who was into genre studies and stuff, and write dozens of pages of scholarly analysis and get my MA, using this manga and this character as my subject material.

Tried to rape her.

What? No. He kissed her, because he knew the brother would be able to detect his scent upon her (although apparently this was untrue, as the brother had no idea what he had done to Sango). Outarou was many things, quite a few of which were terrible, but he wasnt a rapist.

This was a great chapter.

Yeah, I also didn't like him much as a person, but I still felt kind of saddened while reading through it. Props to Irie Aki for causing a bit compassion in me for such controversal character.

Huh, I thought I hated Outarou, but seeing some of the comments here, apparently... I don't hate him enough.

I'm not celebrating his (apparent?) death, but I'm not the least bit sad about it either. He apologized to almost everyone, but then kind of ruined the "sympathetic tragedy" with his outburst at Hibi (and specifically not apologizing to the kid; that's a little petty). Dude, you're dying and Ran's just ten years old. Does he want her to live the rest of her life in mourning or something? It's like he doesn't want her to have anyone else in her life (aside from her family) but him. (And then there was some squick when he said he loved her even though she's only 10 and he's like 29... but that's a whole 'nother can of worms...)

...And that's why I prefer Hibi far more. He wants what's best for Ran and teaches her a lot of important things; he wants her to make more friends and he tells her it's okay to be herself. ...Bonus points for his adorable tsundere crush on her.

I don't get all the Otarou-hating. The character is amazing; ton of flaws, but after he meets the one person he knows he cares truly about, he wants to actually fix those flaws one at the time.

Though I sincerely applaud the author for actually killing him off, this was still too sad. Poor Otarou and Ran.

Ohhh noo the rich pedophile asshole who beats up young boys died.... that indoor scarf wearin fuck. Never been so happy to see a character die in a manga as I am now. Hope someone sits her down and explains what a piece of shit he is. ahahah sorry *WAS lmfao feels good.

20 bucks says that outarou becomes a creepy pedophile ghost that haunts ran for the next 20 chapters

I never really liked the guy anyway except when he messed with that slut of his. Why does Ran have to suffer for that cunt anyway?

Finally that asshole died.

I'm confused so what the artist wants me to think of Outarou.  She gives him the marytr treatment then he says shit to Hibi...Ran is 10, do you honestly want her to never love anyone ever?  I feel like he of all people should know how great it is to be in love, and he should want the same for her.  Or is this his prideful character flaw coming through?

If anything, this chapter makes me think better of Hibi because despite Outarou being an asshole, he's ultimately concerned with Ran's feelings.

While I was never in favour of Outarou and Ran's relationship, the amount of hate you people have for him and the crying out that the manga is 'ruined' for you in addition to insulting the author makes me cringe.

Yea I see where they're coming from, but some do seem a tad overboard... just a bit.

*beats a  tactical retreat*

best-simpsons-gifs-homer-bush1.gif

While I was never in favour of Outarou and Ran's relationship, the amount of hate you people have for him and the crying out that the manga is 'ruined' for you in addition to insulting the author makes me cringe.

I felt legitimately sorry for him until he became 100% pedophile

Honestly, I was totally expecting the author to do the reasonable thing and say "yeah she's still ten and this is dumb and messed up" But nope, turns out my faith in the authors ability to not be a stupid creepy weirdo was completely misplaced!

Tobias-Funke-Crying-in-Shower-Arrested-D

I'm crying. I really, really liked Outarou. I don't care for him being a jerk, he's lovable when he's with Ran. Also, her good influence was getting to him. Come on, guys, age is just a number (jk, pls dont kill me). But srlsy, he can't just stop loving her just because he knows the truth. It wouldn't make sense, love is not something you can control. Plus, he didn't even had the time to think about moral questions evolving her age; just let him love her until the end. I think what Ran would tell him it's that she's 10yo, so he said that in advance so she wouldn't feel bad for lying to him.

Also, nobody wants to be forgotten. The same way he told his mother he would meet her afterlife, he wanted to confort Ran a little, so when she knows he died, she still could meet him in her dreams. Actually, it works both ways: Ran feeling a little less lonely and he conforting himself, to think she still will think of him, so he won't feel so lonely in the end. What I wish that could have happened is Outarou making Ran his heir, so she could inherit his fortune, idk, nothing important, thou.  

I felt legitimately sorry for him until he became 100% pedophile

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics