Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Tags and Genres you'd like to see implemented.

- - - - - tag genre request unified

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

seyrine

seyrine

Unemployed Kitty In A Penguin Suit

• Administrators
  • 1,830 posts
  • LocationLurking nearby...

There are far too many suggestion threads regarding tags and genres and most of them end up in discussions which makes things confusing and cluttered. As such, it was decided to close off all other threads and make a new one. However we are implementing a few rules.

Specifically:

• Suggest only 1-2 tags at once.
  • Give a reason for your suggestions
  • Keep your reason under 140 characters
  • No discussions.
  • If the tag/genre you want to suggest has already been suggested, just use the like button to support the suggestion.

Now for our reasons. Though a lot may not know this, but Grumpy actually reads these suggestions. And to make things simpler and easier for Grumpy, we're keeping things simpler and easier to understand if it should be added or not. Hence, keep it short and to the point.

======EDIT=======
Because the question came up and we don't want to clutter up the topic again explaination here:
There aren't any plan as for how/when or even if those tags/genres/categories will be implemented.

The only reason for this thread is to keep all the suggestions in one place without discussion cluttering it up. So please continue to follow the rules above. Thank you.

Tags/Genres Suggested So Far: 

Spoiler

Tags Added So Far:

Spoiler

Tags Denied So Far:

Spoiler

Edited by Dafortminor, 12 October 2017 - 10:19 PM.
Updated

Catch my story; the Neverender Series

Batoto's Rules Repository | Rules, Guidelines and FAQs

Rules and Regulations | How to get help | Frequently Asked Questions

If all else fails, PM me. And use the REPORT button if you see any content that may violate site policy.

Catch me on irc.idlechat.net (#seyrine) and D.F.T.B.A.!

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato
I'd suggest "webtoon" as a searchable genre. It's a genre that's been implemented on at least one other reader site, I'd guess because of the popularity of the many webtoons now available and how different they are to more traditional manga/manhwa.

Edited by svines85, 01 November 2012 - 07:48 PM.

Tn7HA0h.png

A Nick that you dont know

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUnder a bed...ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ
Music- For the same reason there is a sports tag. There are many manga plots that are centered around music.

foxyeisenhower

foxyeisenhower

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 795 posts
  • LocationKONY 2013 STOP SOPA RIP Spider-man too soon
most music manga are really just school life, we still need the tag though

Implement the Oneshot tag already

oneshot tag is an obvious choice and incredibly useful, nobody looking for a full series wants to stop at 1 chapter and nobody looking for a quick read wants to start a 20 volume monster

same thing I said in the other thread

Edited by foxyeisenhower, 02 November 2012 - 08:00 AM.

Spoiler

KelpTheGreat

KelpTheGreat

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 42 posts
I would very much like to see a "Violence" tag. Yes, there is already a "Mature content" warning, but that is very general, and often does not explain why the manga is mature. Obviously it's probably sexually explicit if it has either a Smut or Ecchi tag, but there are many mangas that are mature just for their violent content. Some people are very sensitive to gore and violence, and I believe it would be helpful for them to have that tag, to avoid them. Series I would consider as having extreme violence include Btooom!!, Sun-Ken Rock, Gamble Fish, Jigokuren, Hohzuki Island, etc.

kdom

kdom

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 376 posts
I'm not really sure what the 'tag' in the title means ? I know the tag that are used in forum threads but those tags are up to the choice of the thread creator and not limited to a specific list. So would these tags be a new things or are there just another word for the genre list that we currently have ?

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUnder a bed...ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ
Forbidden love- for mangas that have relationships such as teacher+student, MC+family member(including ones where they're not blood related but still viewed as an incestuous relationship i.e. KissXsis), etc.

@Kdom Yes it's just another way to refer to the genre list.

kdom

kdom

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 376 posts
I would suggest Award-Winning Work this is a tag that isn't suggestive and can be a good hint for quality

foxyeisenhower

foxyeisenhower

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 795 posts
  • LocationKONY 2013 STOP SOPA RIP Spider-man too soon

I would suggest Award-Winning Work this is a tag that isn't suggestive and can be a good hint for quality

extra info:
This can be immediately inserted into the descriptions (since some already mention awards)
this page is pretty much the place for what he's talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodansha_Manga_Award
only like ten-twenty of these have actually been translated so if you did make it a tag anything you do with those manga would be easy to implement
Spoiler

mhh

mhh

Babo Kim

• Administrators
  • 3,754 posts
No discussions please. We can still do that after we (Grumpy) decides that something should be implemented.

Erana's Peace

Erana's Peace

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationEurope
4-Koma
Sometimes I just want to read a little story or funny anecdote being completed in 4 panels. Ideal for my lunch break at work ^-^;;
"To be is to do." - Socrates
"To do is to be." - Sartre
"Do be do be do." - Sinatra

kdom

kdom

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 376 posts
And what about Cooking manga ?

Reminiscent Cheeseburger

Reminiscent Cheeseburger

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • LocationThe Desert

Edited by Reminiscent Cheeseburger, 19 October 2013 - 10:44 PM.

Dafortminor

Dafortminor

Omnipotence

• Global Mods
  • 752 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

One Shot was already suggested. For this I made a list of tags and genres already suggested in the topic of the first post so people do not give the same suggestion over and over again. 

-Daffy

Best and fastest way to contact me is via Discord: Daffy#9194.

Eien No

Eien No

Russet Potato

• Donator
  • 217 posts

Well, I don't know how popular the genre is since I don't find myself reading it often, but there is a niche of medical manga(basically mangas that center around doctors/hospitals/etc) so maybe a Medical tag?

Examples would be Team Medical Dragon, Saijou no Meii, Godhand Teru and Black Jack.

Also, maybe a "Staff Pick" tag? I know that one is a little sketchy because how good a manga is would be up to the reader, but there are a number of mangas that could be staff picks(like Tower of God). I don't know, this one isn't really genre but if someone new to manga would be interested in reading what the people who run Batoto think is a good manga, that would be an interesting tag(or thread).

Edited by Eien No, 18 October 2013 - 05:23 PM.

Myrrh.gif

Balloonoid

Balloonoid

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationJust south Of Chicago Illinois.

Also, maybe a "Staff Pick" tag? I know that one is a little sketchy because how good a manga is would be up to the reader, but there are a number of mangas that could be staff picks(like Tower of God). I don't know, this one isn't really genre but if someone new to manga would be interested in reading what the people who run Batoto think is a good manga, that would be an interesting tag

I agree this could be very useful for those of us new to the website or online reading in general.

Only I could make being an idiot so Ingenious:D

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts
  • LocationHere of course!

Added:

• Webtoon
  • Music
  • Oneshot
  • Award Winning - This should be done by some referenceable and acknowledged award giving body. Ex: Kodansha Manga Awards
  • 4-Koma
  • Cooking
  • Medical
  • Staff Pick

I can't see myself adding violence/forbidden love in this. :(

Violence would be more catered to detailed "mature" expansion. Less about genre.

Forbidden love is rather a sub-genre of romance, so, I'm not really keen on that either. Although, romance is pretty big genre...

Eien No

Eien No

Russet Potato

• Donator
  • 217 posts

How about gore as opposed to simple violence? I know Akame ga Kill would certainly fall under that category along with a plethora of other mangas and some webtoons as well.

Myrrh.gif

Dafortminor

Dafortminor

Omnipotence

• Global Mods
  • 752 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Made another spoiler section, for those already picked or denied dont keep repeating those tags.

-Daffy

Best and fastest way to contact me is via Discord: Daffy#9194.

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

Equine non grata

• Members
  • 3,853 posts
  • LocationSan Escobar

^I second the general "Survival" tag. Rather popular theme, not yet represented in tags and would save people a trip to B-U. Would also work well with already existing "tragedy" tag to give 'protagonists dying' results truepurple wants without being too spoiler-y.

Also "Acting" for all acting/theater/kabuki-focused manga out there (akin to already added cooking/music/medical tags). I was thinking about 'dancing' tag too, but there doesn't seem to be enough manga (that's listed on B-U) to warrant a tag.

kinda off topic @truepurple

Spoiler

Mod-in-Disguise

FlQCNQa.gif

You <3

Whoever decided to delete this was an idiot.

| Handwritten kanji recognition || KanjiTomo || Kanji converter || J<->E Dictionary |