Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Tags and Genres you'd like to see implemented.

- - - - - tag genre request unified

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

ShiroOuji

ShiroOuji

Potato

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • LocationIn my House

How about Gore(not same with violence, IMO)? some people are really offended by it so I think such people might want to exclude that genre while searching.

tumblr_nj7oiijytN1racgo0o2_500.gif

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Bloodbath:  

Where characters other then protagonist die easily to the point of almost being a certainty. A real love it or hate it type of comic.

Playing god:

Where  a usually off screen power has god like power, may have avatars appear to represent will of said power. Key point is that his power can create, destroy, change at will, and usually without even being seen, and  equally important, characters within are helpless against this power. Usually uses this power to force characters into outlandish games.

Edited by truepurple, 21 November 2013 - 07:32 PM.

Dafortminor

Dafortminor

Omnipotence

• Global Mods
  • 752 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Pinned topic so people would not keep duplicating topics such as these and give some useful suggestions towards this topic. 

-Daffy

Best and fastest way to contact me is via Discord: Daffy#9194.

sprite7

sprite7

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

Based on a Novel

Just as it says, novel / light novel adaptation.

Rhymenoise

Rhymenoise

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • LocationThe Earth

Based on a Novel

Just as it says, novel / light novel adaptation.

I'd like to expand this to an "Adaptation" tag.

Meaning it can be adapated from live action, novels or video games.

Since there's the reacent manga of "Assassin's Creed 4" and novel adaptations like "1/2 Prince" and "Beatless - Dystopia."

It'll make it easier to separate out Doujinshi from the actual "official" adaptations.

Woodensword

Woodensword

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationEverywhere yet Nowhere

Actually i was thinking about a Tsukkomi Tag

Tsukommi: Eg. Comedy that is heavily accented by a "Boke" (Fool)'s nonsensical statement and rebuttal called a Tsukommi from a serious Commonsense type of guy.

Examples: Gintama. Fujimura kun Mates, Cyclops shoujo Saipu, Seitokai Yakuiin domo, Seitokai no Ichizon. Etc

Edited by Woodensword, 09 February 2014 - 08:57 PM.

shndany

shndany

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 9 posts
I think that it would be awesome if in the search option we had the tag incest c:

Edited by ROTFLMAOMAGNETS, 02 March 2014 - 03:44 PM.

My Twitter <--- I follow back   :batoto_007:

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

I think that it would be awesome if in the search option we had the tag incest c:

http://vatoto.com/forums/topic/9375-needed-taggenre-suggestions/?hl=%2Bincest#entry413305

Tn7HA0h.png

Gendalph

Gendalph

Fried Potato

• Contrib Mods
  • 576 posts
  • Locationbeyond the Veil
I think we should add a bunch of tags to indicate that manga is based on something and/or has been adapted to anime.
Why you ask? Because lately I stumble upon lots of manga that's adapted from a novel and is already (or about to be) adapted to anime, which contain only part of the story (even after they're finished - novel advertisement). So in order to help users like me let's add these tags:
[Based on a Novel], [Based on an Anime], [Based on a Computer Game] (I'm not sure the last one really needs to be implemented because it's quite rare, but adding it is still a good idea, imo)
Adaptations can be of 3 types: to anime, to game, to novel (can't remember any specific title being adapted to a novel, though).
So we're down to one or two 'adapted' tags: [Adapted to Anime] and [Adapted to a Computer Game].
Adding [Original work] is also a good idea.

Must have tags: [Based on a Novel], [Based on an Anime], [Adapted to Anime].
Nice to have: [Based on a Computer Game], [Adapted to a Computer Game], [Original work].

Even better idea would be further separating tags to indicate how much has been adapted: [Partial Adaptation from a Novel/Anime/Game] and [Partially Adapted to Anime/Novel]. But this would add to confusion and would be too much to ask.

Rhymenoise

Rhymenoise

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • LocationThe Earth

I think we should add a bunch of tags to indicate that manga is based on something and/or has been adapted to anime.
Why you ask? Because lately I stumble upon lots of manga that's adapted from a novel and is already (or about to be) adapted to anime, which contain only part of the story (even after they're finished - novel advertisement). So in order to help users like me let's add these tags:
[Based on a Novel], [Based on an Anime], [Based on a Computer Game] (I'm not sure the last one really needs to be implemented because it's quite rare, but adding it is still a good idea, imo)
Adaptations can be of 3 types: to anime, to game, to novel (can't remember any specific title being adapted to a novel, though).
So we're down to one or two 'adapted' tags: [Adapted to Anime] and [Adapted to a Computer Game].
Adding [Original work] is also a good idea.

Must have tags: [Based on a Novel], [Based on an Anime], [Adapted to Anime].
Nice to have: [Based on a Computer Game], [Adapted to a Computer Game], [Original work].

Even better idea would be further separating tags to indicate how much has been adapted: [Partial Adaptation from a Novel/Anime/Game] and [Partially Adapted to Anime/Novel]. But this would add to confusion and would be too much to ask.

I think adapted to tags would take alot of work that can easily be done via forum, ie. a thread about the series getting an anime or a movie.

[Adaptation] may seem blanket but it informs the reader that the comic wasn't the first telling of the story/characters. I think information reguarding what it was adapted from should be in the decription the same way sequels are.

Also I'd like to suggest:

[Trigger Warning]

Suicide, cutting, etc

Because for some people triggers can set them off and this tag will inform them that this type of behavour is present in the comic.

and

[Sacrilege]

Any comic that may be offensive to someone's religous beliefs. This isn't a big deal for me but I know alot of people that get super offended by even the smallest bible joke. Even Death Note gets some flack for this due to Light delcaring himself a god and then there's Hellsing....

These tags may seem negative but it's the whole greater good thing.

Edited by Rhymenoise, 09 May 2014 - 03:50 PM.

Natureboy

Natureboy

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,162 posts
  • Locationdeep in the forest

I think adapted to tags would take alot of work that can easily be done via forum, ie. a thread about the series getting an anime or a movie.

[Adaptation] may seem blanket but it informs the reader that the comic wasn't the first telling of the story/characters. I think information reguarding what it was adapted from should be in the decription the same way sequels are.

Also I'd like to suggest:

[Trigger Warning]

Suicide, cutting, etc

Because for some people triggers can set them off and this tag will inform them that this type of behavour is present in the comic.

and

[Sacrilege]

Any comic that may be offensive to someone's religous beliefs. This isn't a big deal for me but I know alot of people that get super offended by even the smallest bible joke. Even Death Note gets some flack for this due to Light delcaring himself a god and then there's Hellsing....

These tags may seem negative but it's the whole greater good thing.

Triggers seem potentially rather open ended. Do we have warnings for people with extreme fears of spiders? or snakes?

Sacrilege tags are particularly inappropriate for translated material from cultures that are predominantly polytheist/pantheist. Living in a mostly monotheist country, I'm subject to "only one god" and "idolatry" hysteria all the time. I don't ask for warnings. I just deal with it. Imposing those monotheist prejudices on material from cultures (Japan, China, Korea) that are not so hung up on religious dualism seems like the height of western (Judeo-Christian) hubris. In some people's narrow minds, every manga with a New Year's shrine visit would require a sacrilege tag. Anime broadcast in the U.S. has to deal with a more naive audience. That's a different issue. Manga readers should be used to seeing more flexible notions of divinity than are taught to American Protestants.

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,650 posts
  • LocationThe Comfy Chair

There has been some discussion I've seen other places of how far trigger warnings should be taken. Even though some people seem to be advocating them a bit self-righteously, there really are people out there who have been through some awful circumstances. I think we should try to help these people avoid reminders of things they would rather forget. However, since I've been lucky enough to avoid such events in my own life, I'm not really sure what content people should be warned about. Probably certain types of violence, sexual assault? It would probably be best to poll the userbase (is that a word? I'm exhausted right now) to see what content needs to come with a warning. Yes, we have a 'mature' tag, but it's used for everything from gore to smut. 

As far as a sacrilege tag goes...I agree with NB. Too many religions, too many possibilities of sacrilege. It's not that hard to see where a manga is going, and, if their treatment of a religion bothers you, just stop reading it.

Previous Avatars • Music for February 21...not picked out yet.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato
Spoiler

You know the original post specifically asked that there be no discussion here. There are some pretty detailed rules in post #1 for this thread.

Edited by svines85, 10 May 2014 - 12:39 AM.

Tn7HA0h.png

Dafortminor

Dafortminor

Omnipotence

• Global Mods
  • 752 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Updated whatever was suggested up to Grumps now. 

-Daffy

Best and fastest way to contact me is via Discord: Daffy#9194.

Rhymenoise

Rhymenoise

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • LocationThe Earth

It's kinda dicussion but I'll clairfly a little more (this keyboard is a bit dodgy so I tried to keep it short.)

[Trigger Warning] should be for anything that could lead to self harm, so sucide and cutting are the main examples, even if it's attempted and fails it can still be a trigger. An example of this is Paranoria Agent where 3 people keep trying (and failing) to commit sucide, that's just in one ep. another is Higuraishi, so many things in that could count as a trigger.

[Sacrilege] should be for the small number of comics that make blantant religon jokes, like Helsing. The Catholic church is heavely mocked in Helsing and even has some of it's members wearing kkk hoods at a point. You can see why a dovoted Catholic might want to be warned about that.

Edited by Rhymenoise, 10 May 2014 - 04:33 AM.

Anon1001

Anon1001

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

========Batoto Staff Notice=========
Comic locked due to content inappropriate for Batoto under the terms of our hosting policies. Sorry for the inconvenience.
========Staff Notice End==========

We have tags for staff pics can you add tags for comics your site takes down? It's a real pain in the butt browsing the comic list to find  a bunch of redacted comics with a DO NOT UPLOAD TEXT. I can understand why you leave the pages up so people can still find the comics and maybe read them elsewhere/actually buy them but if you could add a tag so we can exclude these from the search results that would make everyone's lives easier. If the staff is taking the time to edit the comic description it shouldn't be that much trouble for them to tag it as well going forward, I can understand it would be taxing to retroactively tag this so I don't expect anything in that regard.

OchaMeido❣

OchaMeido❣

The Head Maid

• Contrib Mods
  • 1,728 posts
  • Location@ the Greenhouse Tea Party~

Spoiler

that wont be called a tag then....  tags have to do with the series itself. the hosting policy havent nothing to do with the genre tags.

There is a lot of different notices we put up to let all members knows in general what happen to that series in cases of

missing chaps, no chaps, direct scans....

genre tags have to do with the series in general consist of. we cant add "Not hosted due to adult content" in the genre tags.

Why those series is here with the notice, instead of just leaving them out of our comic directory system, is because we want member

to know the reason why. it is better then member making mutli-series pages we have to keep deleting and ask us the reason.

there is only ~5:1000 ratio in which you see that notice out of the comic directory. compare to other notices we put up, it should be the least of

all concern.

ןן Tea Party~ ןן "THE BAR" ןן

ןןGuide to Uploading/deltin/sortin ןן

ןן[Must read] COMMENT SECTIONS RULES ן

Follow the comment sections' rules or else, you will be hanging at the edge of an cliff ^^
It maybe one step closer to death's door or an extension of your life's time.

mhh

mhh

Babo Kim

• Administrators
  • 3,754 posts

While what Naizumi says is true it could also mean a greater comfort for users to navigate Batoto. Therefore I will consider adding it even if it is not a genre maybe with some sort of prefix to make it more obvious it's not a genre.

We keep the pages so that people know not to upload it. If the page wasn't there nobody would know that it is considered inappropriate and add the page (again and again...).

EDIT: I've experimentally added [no chapters] to the genre database.

Devilbat Ghost 23

Devilbat Ghost 23

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

"Magic"- although we do have a Fantasy and supernatural genre magic encompasses a lot of manga and would make it easier to search for

"Quest" or "travel"- where the main Character(s) are on a quest or mission Or where the person/group travels frequently to keep out of harm, to exclude those mangas where the characters stay within a 5 mile radius for the majority of the chapters. this genre Could also include alternate worlds 

Rhymenoise

Rhymenoise

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • LocationThe Earth

[Spin-off]

Lots of comics have them, but unlike Doujinshi or an Adaptation, they are official but tell a different story.

A good example is Rock-Lee's Springtime of Youth, a Naruto spin-off that has very little of Naruto in it, as it focuses on Rock-Lee's crack filled adventures.

I find them more and more common now and have a small list of them in the back of my head.

Some are by the original artist ( Otter no. 11, Hellsing: The Dawn and Soul Eater Not, come to mind) and some aren't (Springtime of Youth, Titan Accademy, Before the Fall and Trigun: Multiple Bullets)

I actually own a few of these and find them interesting, a different artist's interpretation, or a (often funnier) side story, etc.