Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

So Who is Your Least Favorite Character?

#kubera #characters

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

seileene

seileene

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 26 posts

A girl can hope, though, right?

The prospects of a healing relationship do look pretty grim, but there are small things to cling onto. Kasak does indeed appear to care for her both with and without his earrings, and that's enormously good. At this point, I think a lot of it depends on whether he comes back to Agwen, and he'd better. Preferably within a reasonable time frame. That would nudge things in the right direction.

I suddenly feel like I've bumbled into a topic that has been discussed in much greater detail somewhere or another. Ah, my forum newbiness comes back to bite. Heh. Anyways.

A point I was. . . sort of dancing around without saying outright though, is that I don't think their relationship ever even had a chance to heal so long as Kasak kept those earrings on because of the way Agwen dismisses him with the earrings.

*drums fingers* Although, I hadn't really directly thought of things in terms of Agwen regarding him as a father only when he had the earrings off. It's a very concise way of stating things. You've given me something to contemplate.

. . . Oh boy, relearning how to quote multiple points from different people. Let's see if this works how I think it should. . .

I said that Agwen's attitude towards Kasak is a sort of coping mechanism, and if I could elaborate further: it seems that when he has the earrings on, she doesn't treat him as her father. We've noticed that she only calls him father when he has his earrings off. There could be two reasons for this:

- Without the earrings on, Kasak said that he could just forget that she's his daughter, dump her and leave. Perhaps as 'revenge', Agwen doesn't treat him as her father when he has the earrings on.

- Alternatively, it could be that she thinks that with the earrings on, her father is just a fake, a personality created by the earrings. I admit that one thing I find a bit shocking is that Kasak doesn't really think much about having the earrings on or not. Normal humans would find the prospect of parting with their emotions to be appalling.

It could be a bit of both. What makes relations so interesting in Kubera is how Currygom throw in unique biological twists.

The latter sounds very likely. =o Thanks for expanding on the coping mechanism idea a bit more; it's interesting. =)

I kind of like how having or not having emotions in the normal human sense doesn't matter to him, lol. He just seems to wear the earrings for sake of other people's peace of mind, not his own.

Hmm, I'd say Kasak is Kasak regardless of the earring situation. Just normal for him is having his emotions in a tidy little box where he's more apt to analyze them instead of allowing them to move him. That is literally what emotion means, afterall. Earrings on would then make him more impulsive: more apt to feel and then act upon those feelings.

So, he even though he might seem like a different person with the earrings on, it's just drawing on something that's normally buried.

^Or it could be that with the earrings on, her father is reminded that she's his daughter but without the earrings,Kasak might forgot about her being his daughter so she calls him "Dad" so that he won't forget. I think Agwen is scared of being abandoned by her father.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

It really is curious that both of them do stay with each other. I would definitely agree that Agwen seems to be a very well adjusted adult except where her father is concerned.

In a way, though, it does make sense for her to sponser him, since they are blood family and all. But she doesn't really need to sponser him either. Man's got fans all over the place and good standing with plenty of magicians and priests. Kasak doesn't seem to need her at all, but he does care for her. Maybe it wouldn't be a stretch to say Agwen needs him. Severe psychological trauma can and does freeze affected areas of emotional development.

Lastly. . . Hmm, I actually like both Kasak and Maruna. Kasak is unpredictable in a fascinating sort of way that ranges from serious to trollface.

Then, Maruna is like the perceptive guy who actually really sucks at making decisions: he'll always choose the worst possible option. I think he'd benefit from a sensible girlfriend to steer him around and push him in the right

direction, but the odds of that happening look nothing less than abyssmal. As is, he's walking a very destructive path for both himself and everyone he encounters. And I honestly don't think he'll get off it until it's far too late.

I will say, though. Maruna's disregard for humanity is rather off-putting, and compromising one's morals isn't something I'd ever put a stamp of approval on. His attitude towards other clans and races works for the story though since it paints a picture of sura relations in general. In a way, he's a typical sura in that he places his own vendetta first, then his family and clan, then allied clans. Everything is either food or nothing.

I will forever love how he called the elite of the anantas a three piece snack set.

*frowns up at post* Okay, I think I have that all sorted out semi-coherently. Hopefully.

Baby_Seyren

Baby_Seyren

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Brilith 

I don't really hate her... but she annoys me. 
Hard to explain. A bit like Sakura from Naruto. The type of "I Q.Q alot".

So yeah she's my least favorite character.

Edited by Baby_Seyren, 26 March 2014 - 10:23 PM.

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 3,395 posts
I am quite suprised to see little to no hate on Menaka.

She is a being stronger then Gods but all she did was whine and run away from fights to point of weakening the whole Sura race. (Refusing to help Ananta cause it is violent? Really?) -__-

LovelyLuvLuv

LovelyLuvLuv

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 363 posts

forgot to mention that my least favorite character is menaka. for various reasons... most of them contributing to me feeling that our personalities would probably not clash well. 

also because i like teo significantly better. Teo! (sorry for spanning kubera forums with my missing- teo distress  :batoto_012: )

Edited by LovelyLuvLuv, 27 March 2014 - 06:36 AM.

I love sleeping

I love sleeping

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 504 posts

forgot to mention that my least favorite character is menaka. for various reasons... most of them contributing to me feeling that our personalities would probably not clash well. 

also because i like teo significantly better. Teo! (sorry for spanning kubera forums with my missing- teo distress  :batoto_012: )

You just reminded me i hate menaka. She is jsutt so insignificant i forgot.

popalopa

popalopa

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts

I just saw someone else voting for Leez... I'm seconding that vote... As the topic's title says, it's not about hate but least favorite. I don't know if it's because we can see how awesome she will become in the future, but I find her too naive/gullible and with black&white ethics... I know she feels like a burden, but she really seems like one...

-Tyrael-

-Tyrael-

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts

Brilith.

Other than her birth attributes, she's a thouroughly lackluster magician. And despite having one of the least tragic backstories of the Kuberaverse, she gets fawned over by everyone (including Agni). Oh, and the fact that she was able to cheat death doesnt help.

Claude could kind of go either way for me. But as long as he gets a backstory explaining his motiviations (as much as that is actually possible in Kubera), he could be pretty interesting.

Edited by -Tyrael-, 18 May 2014 - 08:31 AM.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

Brilith.

Other than her birth attributes, she's a thouroughly lackluster magician. And despite having one of the least tragic backstories of the Kuberaverse, she gets fawned over by everyone (including Agni).

Can't say I really disagree with you, she really is an exceedingly weak character........especially for a "side" type character like she really is. I guess my view would be,  if she was a main character, well, we could be looking forward to character growth and how that affected the story/other characters, etc. With her being just support...........well, yeah, now she's basically just someone who's found fame out of luck, a fluke or being her mother's daughter, but who really isn't worth a flip other than that. There's really no reason to expect the story to ever turn her way to improve on that either.  

Oh well, gotta have support characters, everybody should just remember not to expect very much out of her's.  :D 

Tn7HA0h.png

Jassim Al-Madeh

Jassim Al-Madeh

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationBahrain

I am quite suprised to see little to no hate on Menaka.

She is a being stronger then Gods but all she did was whine and run away from fights to point of weakening the whole Sura race. (Refusing to help Ananta cause it is violent? Really?) -__-

Menaka was blind.
Joining the fight against the Gods to save Ananta isn't "unnecessary" but concern the whole Sura race.

I see the Sura's current situation absurd.
Their strongest is dead, second strongest clan threatened by extinction and so the Gandharva Clan, even the Garuda Clan is threatened by the Power of the Name.

I believe that if Gandharva joined the fight, Ananta would be still alive.
Both Menaka and Shakuntala were blind and didn't see that "their stubbornness" harmed their race.

Edited by Jassim Al-Madeh, 18 May 2014 - 06:21 PM.

Can't decide

smtmissin

smtmissin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 821 posts

Instead of being blind, I will just say she is extremely selfish. If the Gandharva clan had joined the fight she wouldn't have been able to live her peaceful life. That must be the reason why she asked Gandharva to ban anyone from the clan to join the fight. I absolutely don't think she has any noble reason to withdraw from the fight than just her own comfortness. Shakuntala was annoying but I can at least understand and empathize with her (she offered her own life just to stay behind with the children until the end. Hard to grill her on that). I would agree that Shakuntala was blind, but really, Menaka was more of a bitch than Sagara even.

Instead of hating on Brilith, I just don't care much about her. She doesn't even have a role in the story, at least up until now. Maybe her role is just there to be Agni's love interest.

My least favorite is Menaka. Then Riagara (annoying manipulating little bitch. She thinks she can manipulate Maruna. I hope Maruna kills her someday). Then Sagara.

Edited by smtmissin, 18 May 2014 - 07:25 PM.

Blunt

Blunt

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 388 posts

1. Sagara

2. Brilith

3. Menaka

microlm

microlm

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 355 posts

I'd say my least favorite is Ghandharva. I hate wishy-washy types and while I can sympathize with his situation, his indecision frustrates me. I mean, I don't dislike him like I do the more outright villains (like Sagara), but yeah...

Awww, so much Brilith hate and she's actually one of my favorites haha. Long post incoming.

I thought she was actually considered a main character by Currygom? I mean, definitely not Leez level of main, but like at about Agni's level? So I dunno about writing her off entirely just yet, especially when this story doesn't seem anywhere near finished.

I actually feel a lot of sympathy for her situation. As far as the story has revealed, her backstory, while it may not inspire as much sympathy as Leez's, is actually not so happy. Her father was absent and mother seemed distant, and she was desperate enough to live up to what she thinks would make her mother approve of her that she uses up a significant portion of life to summon Agni. Then her only friend was Agni. That's a pretty lonely childhood, and not even much of a childhood considering how early she took on the Priestess position. Leez was isolated in a village, but she was friendly with a lot of people, had friends, and at least one loving parent. Whatever may be the truth behind Leez's village, I'd still say that she had a relatively happy childhood with an opportunity actually be a kid. Yeah, ok, Brillith technically only lost her mother and Leez lost her whole village, but that's like comparing Leez's loss of a village to Asha's loss of an entire planet. The greater tragedy of one does not lessen the tragedy of another.

Yes, it was luck (as far as we know) that she summoned Agni, but keep in mind that that is something she is aware of and constantly beats herself up over. I feel like she has this huge inferiority complex, in part because of her desire to live up to her mother, but she just seems to feel like she's not good in enough in general. She specifically states that she thinks she only has luck, and no talent and little effort. But, her divine affinity is actually relatively high among the humans, so clearly she's not completely talentless (and as a priestess I'd say she at least functions better than Sierra); and I'd think giving up most of your life and living what does remain in pain should give some effort points. Yes, she's not top-rate like Asha, but again, she's very aware of that--to the point that she will completely write off the talent she does possess and the sacrifices that she's made.

And what's the first thing she thinks about after her memories come back when she's revived? She's disappointed in herself for not remembering her duties as a priestess. She literally just lost her life in an attempt to save the city and she's disappointed in herself for not remembering her duties as a priestess while she was dead. Dying isn't "effort" enough for her. I mean, yeah, she's not physically the strongest, but physical strength isn't the only thing to consider, and Brillith is willing to give up plenty to protect Atera. Also, she fixed the barrier, what--3 times?--while she was literally almost at the end of lifespan. Compare to Sierra who presumably passed out after the barrier was broken once. Yeah, ok Sierra is probably the weakest priest, but we don't have other barrier breakage to really compare to at this point in the story, and even in the future, the other priests are probably also in much better health than Brillith.

As for her being pointless. Well, if she didn't exist Agni wouldn't even be a player in the Kubera game at this point. That aside, again, she acknowledges that she can't do much at this point in the story, but that's not necessarily always going to be the case. What has her entire arc been this season? She's trying to find a way to help, but Agni keeps her in the dark so she doesn't know how. And when he went to Kalibloom, she wasn't even able to help by maintaining the barrier and was told to go to sleep. I'd say a lot of her perceived mopeyness has to do with how she feels unnecessary and her massive inferiority complex, but I'd also say that she'll probably overcome that at some point in the story and that her character arc will be one of those "finding self worth" sort of arcs.

Tldr; A lot of Brillith's perceived mopey-ness stems from an enormous inferiority complex, but she really does try her best with what's she's got and I'm sure she'll overcome her inferiority issues at some point in the story. Not really her fault that the person with all the answers wants to keep her in the dark. In general, she's a pretty good person, so I don't know about all the hate she seems to inspire.

Whew. Sorry about the page stretch.

Edited by microlm, 19 May 2014 - 11:25 PM.

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 3,395 posts
Currygom's main character rule is 'having at least one chapter dedeciated as POV and is center of story.

This would make that characters more liekly to be important, but does not guarntee they will.

themantarays

themantarays

~A Majestic Ray of Light in the Dark of the Internet~ ☼_☼

• Comic Mods
  • 1,933 posts

Brilith as a human, I understand and care about. Brilith as a character, I understand but sort of wish there could be something a little less milquetoast about her. But I don't hate her.

I'm thinking maybe Agni is my least favorite character? He seems to play favorites with humans, and flouts Yama just to do so. But I don't see how that part of the story could go on without him.

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
Funny thought about Brilith: does she Know of Asha's murder cases?
If she does and still thinks of her as a close friend, that really changes the way some of us see her. xD

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,
Official English Webtoons: https://www.webtoons.com

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

Funny thought about Brilith: does she Know of Asha's murder cases?
If she does and still thinks of her as a close friend, that really changes the way some of us see her. xD

I guess I don't know for sure that she does (just no idea if there's ever been any mention or reference that's been made that would prove it one way or the other) but yeah, I'd at least assume she did.

From what we do know it's public knowledge and the two are close (at least that's Brilith's view of the relationship). I might not think Brilith is all that dynamic or engaging of a character or anything, but I've never taken her to be an airhead either.......yeah, I'd assume she knows all about it.......though I don't know that it really affects my view of her, I've never considered her more than a "mid-level" type support character to begin with. Isn't about her only claim to fame being Agni's pet (magician)?    :D 

Tn7HA0h.png

TERO

TERO

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 42 posts

Awww, so much Brilith hate and she's actually one of my favorites haha. Long post incoming.

I thought she was actually considered a main character by Currygom? I mean, definitely not Leez level of main, but like at about Agni's level? So I dunno about writing her off entirely just yet, especially when this story doesn't seem anywhere near finished.

Although there are some haters for other characters, I don't think I saw a hate post for Brilith. Just least favorite :P

I think Brilith's a main character too, what with being included in both the Season 1 and 2 previews (I think the preview chapter characters are the main characters). When she comes back into the story after her training, I hope she'll be epic xD But we'll see.

I actually feel a lot of sympathy for her situation. As far as the story has revealed, her backstory, while it may not inspire as much sympathy as Leez's, is actually not so happy. Her father was absent and mother seemed distant, and she was desperate enough to live up to what she thinks would make her mother approve of her

That mother part made me think "Asha", although Brilith did tell Asha that she wanted to be a great magician like her mother. That's probably one reason why the two got so close: mother issues ._.

On a different note, when I was randomly looking through past chapters, I came across s2-ch8 where Riche says, "[Asha is] an orphan from Carte. No kin on this planet will come to her aid, which makes her much easier to deal with than Ran." Fast forward to the Taboo chapters (s2-ch92) where we find out Riche has ordered some people frozen (that Asha killed, probably) sometime around N5 in hopes of them being revived.

I find it pretty hypocritical that Riche expects Asha to aid others with Hoti Visnu when she expects no one to help Asha at all. And I'm not sure why Riche would be expecting an apology from Asha? I guess if they were truly accidental deaths, apologizing for them wouldn't be a lie, but Riche says, "If she acknowledges everything now, and apologizes...I can pretend I never saw any of this." So Riche believes the deaths were actually murders, and still she wants an apology? And why suddenly excuse the murders if Asha says, "I'm sorry for what I did"? Isn't that also hypocritical? Did the death of those people matter or not?

Yeah, new least favorite character. (Although I think Riche has a pretty good character design ^^; )

popabogdan

popabogdan

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 330 posts
  • LocationBucharest,Romania

Riche. Her character just annoys me. Not to mention her way of gaining things. Also her kinda superior way of being while she's nothing great(As shown by how Asha plays with her and gains what she wants).

Popcrazy

Popcrazy

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHint: there's lots of people

I don't like the person Agni is searching for

....cause she hasn't made an appearance yet! xD

Nualie

Nualie

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,057 posts
  • LocationSomewhere I can daydream in peace, hopefully.

My least favorite character... It's Menaka. Not only she screwed a lot of people because of her stubbornness, but I ship GanTeo so she's kind of an obstacle... :P

I do like the fact she changed Gandhal for the "better" though. Well, better in term of personality, not in term of responsibilities. I mean, I wouldn't like Gandhal if his personality was the same as before.

Some stuff I made: All's here!

My profile on fanfiction.net is here.

Check Kubera out if you don't know it!

Because it's fun to see Leez dying inside and outside all over the place it's a story of romance, psychology and humor. And horror. A little.