Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

So Who is Your Least Favorite Character?

#kubera #characters

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

ASHES_TO_ASHES

ASHES_TO_ASHES

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 242 posts
  • LocationAtera

My least favorite in order: Leez, Brilith, Shakuntala. Kalavinka would overtake Brilith if she can use the power of the name instead of just being a something that stores it.

Yuta, Brilith, Asha, Menaka, and Gandharva

Ok so I don't understand why do you guys not like Brilith she's awesome

She summoned AGNI for god's sake (hahaha) and without him everyone would have been screwed in the very beginning of the series. Heck, everyone would probably have been screwed at some point before the series started. And then there would be no series. If there was no series, I'd actually be doing something useful like studying or writing my paper right now. So basically it's all thanks to Brilith that I have a new time-wasting tool. Brilith=Best character in series :D

No seriously though, Brilith is awesome.

~ASHES_TO_ASHES

themantarays

themantarays

~A Majestic Ray of Light in the Dark of the Internet~ ☼_☼

• Comic Mods
  • 1,933 posts

What skills did she use to summon Agni? Intense longing? Being born a triple Agni? Factor X? Those aren't skills, those are luck and circumstance. Brilith said it herself; of her mother's attributes she only has her luck. I think we don't like Brilith because she's too... well the word I use to describe her is milquetoast.

Edited by themantarays, 03 February 2015 - 12:13 AM.

ASHES_TO_ASHES

ASHES_TO_ASHES

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 242 posts
  • LocationAtera

She has tons of room to grow though, and she has the drive to help her people. She's admittedly a bit "milquetoast" (I had never heard of that until now-milk toast? what?) and she is most definitely nowhere near the uber-strong-OP characters in the series. But she has potential and drive, and if currygom develops her soon then Brilith can grow out of her "milquetoast" (I love that word.) 

Also, Agni and her are straight-up hilarous. The Atera parts are always my favorites.

~ASHES_TO_ASHES

seileene

seileene

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 26 posts

Old thread, but I was paging through the series again, and I actually wanted to say thanks~ I still remember this discussion fondly, and I feel like I appreciate and understand Agwen more. :)

ironmonk

ironmonk

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 374 posts

Well since this thread got a bump; Yuta, Gandharva, Agni, Leez, Lorraine, Natasha, Visnu. These are the first ones that pop to my mind.

RandomTurtle

RandomTurtle

Potato

• Members
  • 177 posts

Well since this thread got a bump; Yuta, Gandharva, Agni, Leez, Lorraine, Natasha, Visnu. These are the first ones that pop to my mind.

Woah there, that's like half the main cast! And more than half of the screen time!

To stay on topic: Brilith. She is hollow. Her whole life up until now was a facade, an attempt to be what her mother was. And when she was asked at death's door for a reason to live she threw everything out of the window and answered... Asha? You can't like her character because there is nothing to like at all. Well who knows, maybe season 3 will fix that.

I also can't make sense of God Kubera, but that's mostly because we have no insight (pun intended) to either his past or his goals.

Edited by RandomTurtle, 28 January 2017 - 01:46 PM.

Stagehand

Stagehand

Potato

• Members
  • 181 posts
  • LocationWherever a moocher may mooch

An easy answer in terms of feeling like a non-entity with a lot of panel time is Brilith. She's rather milquetoast, and while sympathetic, her issues are often conveyed poorly (although I suppose it's hard to communicate constant feelings of sickness due to a summoning, among other things, through a comic). Furthermore, she's rather bland as a character, even if we do see her inner conflicts. In some respects, she comes off as 60% backstory, 40% character, where we know a lot about her past, but her character itself is rather lacking.

In terms of being difficult to sympathize with, with have the Seiran sisters, although Ruche at least can be amusing and may or may not have her better qualities.

Then there are characters like Yuta (post-development) and Gandharva. Yuta has turned into an ass, and while he still retains some sympathetic qualities, it often feels like the story wants us to sympathize with him even though he frequently acts in ways that just don't merit much in the way of sympathy. Not only that, but a lot of his interactions with Leez seem to be intended for romantic turns in the plot, but at times the relationship  begs the question (like the 'kiss' in Aeroplateau that may have just been Leez attempting something desperate just so that she wouldn't be alone, but then the story doesn't always seem to reflect that interpretation and almost seems to want to idealize the relationship, at least as much as it can be idealized). Gandharva got some good character development, but he's rather one-note, similar to Brilith, in that he's almost always moping rather than showing the full spectrum of his personality. Hopefully, the story does give him a chance to do more than whinge and gives him some dynamism in his interactions.

Hawksmack

Hawksmack

Potato

• Members
  • 109 posts

What i like about Brilith is that she fakes being perfect. Her actual thoughts are much more interesting than her milquetoast conversations because shes trying to emulate her mom but knows that she is nothing like her. She tries to save the city like her mom and fails AND it turns out that shes been lying to herself. She thought her priestess title was important to her but it meant nothing when she almost died. She tries to use her moms god weapon and it explodes in her face. Some magicians resent her as priestess because shes too weak. She has no real friends. Her best friend, Asha, doesn't really care about her. On the inside Brilith is very pessimistic and resents Agni for putting her on the sidelines just so he can have more vigor, since it makes her feel useless. I'm really hoping this side of her comes out more now that shes traumatized. Brilith isn't my favorite but I want her in the story.

(also, sudden idea, what if Asha left Brilith alive because she thinks Brilith is a weak priestess who makes Agni less of a problem)

least faves: Gandharva - I don't like him for the weirdest reason. I don't think he deserves Teo and I don't want them together. 

Sagara - Makes a lot of excuses about how everyone else is in the wrong, and I would hate it if the end plot twist is about Ananta loving her or something.

Lilia Shu - Rejected girl characters are not interesting. I'm praying she doesn't become a reoccurring character by bugging Lorraine or being generally bitter.

Natasha Ross - May get involved in the human power conflict mentioned by Lutz, and I'm not interested in that plotline.

Parr Hael - I don't like how she has a crush on Ran.

Riche, Ruche - too self serving

I hope the final five human characters on this list do not get more screentime in S3.

microlm

microlm

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 355 posts

She has no real friends. Her best friend, Asha, doesn't really care about her. 

I'm still not sure where I stand irt Asha and Brilith. Obviously she doesn't care enough Brilith to stop what she's doing, but I do think part of the reason Asha neglected to make sure Lorraine was dead was because she was too surprised by Brilith's presence. So I'm not sure if I'd say she doesn't care at all.

Parr Hael - I don't like how she has a crush on Ran.

??? The crush is such a tiny part of her character though. I think it only came up once or twice?

To stay on topic: Brilith. She is hollow. Her whole life up until now was a facade, an attempt to be what her mother was. And when she was asked at death's door for a reason to live she threw everything out of the window and answered... Asha? You can't like her character because there is nothing to like at all. Well who knows, maybe season 3 will fix that.

Yeah, I think hollow is a good way to describe her, but I always thought her character was meant to be that way, at least for now. Like, she's a person who's never really allowed herself to think about what she wants, but just forces herself to do what she thinks she should. I think it's an interesting deconstruction of the super self-sacrificing characters and how in the end her lack of self worth means that as a person she's empty. I like her a lot mainly because of where I could see her character going, and I have hopes that she'll become more rounded before Kubera ends. But as it stands, she's really only had much development in season 1. In season 2, it felt a lot like her arc was put on hold.

Edited by microlm, 29 January 2017 - 02:23 AM.

seileene

seileene

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 26 posts

Actually, after watching the fandub, it's really come to my attention that Brilith's introduction is a massive expository dump. My inner editor wants to rip it to shreds and rearrange the bits into something more heart focused and less monologue. I don't think it helped her cause, and in the second season her arc hasn't moved much except for key traumatic event... And Agwen might have obtained sort-of-friend-status? Both of those girls could use some friends.

I'm definitely anticipating some development with Brilith though. She's broken. Her facade is broken. Now she can become anything. But she'll have to work for it. =3

And when oh when is this girl going to learn about Insight? ... At this point the hook about that bit of knowledge has changed, come to think of it. Maybe she can figure it out organically with Agni just responding to her thoughts directly? Because I get the impression her dynamic with Agni has to pull out of the static sameness now. But hey, we'll see. =)

Yeah, I think hollow is a good way to describe her, but I always thought her character was meant to be that way, at least for now. Like, she's a person who's never really allowed herself to think about what she wants, but just forces herself to do what she thinks she should. I think it's an interesting deconstruction of the super self-sacrificing characters and how in the end her lack of self worth means that as a person she's empty. I like her a lot mainly because of where I could see her character going, and I have hopes that she'll become more rounded before Kubera ends. But as it stands, she's really only had much development in season 1. In season 2, it felt a lot like her arc was put on hold.

Thisthisthisthis~

Anyways. I've sorely been wanting to throw a shoe at Yuta lately. But... nah, I don't hate him, nor can I find it in me to even dislike him. I do however dislike the way he was written in some points.

But the same holds true for Rana. At times, I felt like Rana existed to be a wall between Leez and Ran (Leez's most sane and well intentioned supporter). But it wasn't because Rana was trying to be, but rather because Leez would see her, then run away and tumble back into depression instead of getting help. It was frustrating. But I can't dislike them, it's just the way their roles were written.

And on the converse, I miss second stage Yuta terribly because he was written extremely well, and I couldn't get enough of him.

Nualie

Nualie

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,057 posts
  • LocationSomewhere I can daydream in peace, hopefully.

Personally, Rana, simply because she doesn't really appeal to me..? Go figure. I feel like she solely exists to be Ran's friend/lover, there really isn't much of anything else to her character, and since we didn't see much development between them... 

Also, oh boy, third stage Yuta. I don't hate him but his pseudo-emo persona irks me for some reason. Usually, I like codependent relationships because they're quite fascinating, but Leez and Yuta just feel toxic to each other, and yeah, their relationship is being romanticized in weird ways?? I dunno I haven't reread in a long, long time. But I don't like him. Perhaps because he hasn't done much to prove he loved Leez apart from... stalking her... and eating her face... and staring at her bra before leading her to meet the family, I guess?  

Some stuff I made: All's here!

My profile on fanfiction.net is here.

Check Kubera out if you don't know it!

Because it's fun to see Leez dying inside and outside all over the place it's a story of romance, psychology and humor. And horror. A little. 

Indigo July

Indigo July

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 36 posts

Personally, Rana, simply because she doesn't really appeal to me..? Go figure. I feel like she solely exists to be Ran's friend/lover, there really isn't much of anything else to her character, and since we didn't see much development between them... 

Also, oh boy, third stage Yuta. I don't hate him but his pseudo-emo persona irks me for some reason. Usually, I like codependent relationships because they're quite fascinating, but Leez and Yuta just feel toxic to each other, and yeah, their relationship is being romanticized in weird ways?? I dunno I haven't reread in a long, long time. But I don't like him. Perhaps because he hasn't done much to prove he loved Leez apart from... stalking her... and eating her face... and staring at her bra before leading her to meet the family, I guess?  

Yes, it really is creepy. I actually think that he proved his love when he left her, realising that he was a danger. This is one of the reasons why I hope that there will still be people commenting on here when the new season starts, as the sheer number of comments on LINE supporting the Leez-Yuta relationship and drooling over Yuta's actions disturbs me.

Still, I actually think like Yuta when he is interacting with other characters. The characters I really dislike are Lorraine and ex-Kubera. Lorraine, because even before we met Saha she showed that she was willing to cheat her cousin and deal in stolen goods. Kubera, because he betrayed his friend and now sits around while other people put their lives at risk: He could have personally killed the humans with the name, but lets Sagara and Maruna kill whole villages and cities to do so, even letting Sagara attack Atera when it had no Kubera. Sagara isn't a nice person, but she does fight for her goals, and Gandharva is really indecisive, but he does take action eventually, even if it is in a really narrowmided foolish way.

tkl.ee

tkl.ee

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 426 posts

My least favorite(s)? I can't even remember their names. They are Sagara's minions, and many humans and halfs who conform and are selfish.

My least favorite main character is ... Brilith. I don't know why she's so important. But I guess with all the evil going on in Kuberaverse, there needs to be a balance. I feel like Currygom could have developed her character as someone not THAT weak. Okay, maybe she's not that weak. She coughs blood yet she's still alive. But still...

Then it's Maruna, Agni, and Ran. Their background and backstory are not that interesting. 

One Last God: Kubera (en)

Psst... need to find chapters that contain moments of LeezxYuta and LeezxKubera(Mister)? NO FEAR, click here

ironmonk

ironmonk

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 374 posts
Imma have to renege on Brilith and sub in Claude. Cant wait till season 3 to add more to the list.

Boggyb

Boggyb

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 891 posts

Of the main characters:

Gandharva, Maruna, Brilith, Agni, and Sagara. Ran almost makes the list because of bullshit he spouted at Asha late in season 2, so he's on probation.

Of the secondary characters:

Rana and anyone who condemns Asha without understanding that her being able to cast Hoti Visnu means she has the endorsement of Visnu (if they say fuck the meddling gods, then they are ok). #1 on that list is Lorraine who was the only reasonable magician besides Claude till she went full retard after Saha died.

Horseshoe Crab

Horseshoe Crab

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 551 posts

The special needs community continually struggles against misunderstanding and mockery and simply asks for dignity and respect.

Selenianece

Selenianece

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 707 posts
You're... You're mad that Lorraine was angry at Asha after Asha killed one of the closest people to her?!

Did you want her to continue supporting Asha after murdering Saha before her eyes because she was supported by a God? Why the heck would Lorraine keep supporting a person that would kill close family and friends, who tried to kill her personally under a God's approval? Someone who didn't even try to explain her reasoning, who didn't once claim that what she did was for the greater Good?!

I don't dislike Asha, I really don't. I just... find that Lorraine had a justified reason for turning against her, and that you expecting Lorraine to keep supporting her just because of a God's approval, in a world that has multiple Gods, each with their own personality and agenda, to be rather absurd.

(And I agree with Horseshoe Crab, the word you used is really not nice and not acceptable)

tkl.ee

tkl.ee

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 426 posts

Perhaps the word Boggyb meant was mad, not retard.

Lorraine has clearly gone mad. And mad = mentally ill; insane. 

(But if we have to be politically correct, it isn't a nice thing to say someone is mad either...)

(On another note, I think it's interesting that on one end of the spectrum we have retard/stupid and on the other end of the spectrum we have mad/mental/crazy. Yet people find retard/stupid more offensive than mad/mental/crazy. It is because there are more that are deemed as "retard/stupid" around us than as "mad/mental/crazy"? But perhaps that is because those "mad/mental/crazy" have been unfortunately locked up or been cast away from our community, for being dangerous and harmful to us. Thus we tend to find "mad/mental/crazy" not as offensive, because there are not many "mad/mental/crazy" around us to compare and connect. And therefore perhaps Boggyb lives in a community where there aren't that many "retard/stupid" thus didn't think too much about how it can be a sensitive word...and I am also guilty of thinking that it isn't that bad when others say "this is retarded" or "why are you such a retard".)

Psst... need to find chapters that contain moments of LeezxYuta and LeezxKubera(Mister)? NO FEAR, click here

Horseshoe Crab

Horseshoe Crab

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 551 posts

I work with mentally and/or physically disabled children. And yeah, anyone who carelessly throws it around as a generic insult looks like an ass to anyone within (and to many people outside) the special needs community, similar to how someone who throws around "fag" as an insult looks like an uneducated jerk to the LGBT community. Screw political correctness. I'm not going to force anyone to use more accurate language but I will voice my opinion when someone decides to unfavorably compare someone to an entirely unrelated class of people.

Lorraine didn't suddenly contract Down Syndrome or have her cognitive abilities diminish. She seems rather pissed off, however.

Edited by Horseshoe Crab, 02 March 2017 - 06:40 AM.

tkl.ee

tkl.ee

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 426 posts

I don't believe the original poster was comparing someone to an entirely unrelated class of people though. Actually, upon reading that sentence again, the word retard was used as an adverb to describe Lorraine's progression of her cognitive ability. And in this case, a regression from being reasonable.  

Yes, we can differ in opinion in Lorraine's current mental state of mind. And for someone who isn't a murderer to have a murderous mentality, I would say Lorraine is going into madness.