Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

[OOC] Tales of Batoto

tales batoto vesperia xillia

• Please log in to reply
1890 replies to this topic

Diabolical Rhapsody

Diabolical Rhapsody

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 642 posts
  • Locationin Oblivion, checking out the tapestry.
So well rounded or all rounder classes will stand a good chance against tanks and cannons according to the balancing in the system? That is good to know if that is what you meant

Edited by Diabolical Rhapsodii, 11 January 2014 - 06:14 AM.

giphy.gif

If you have the time: 

Spoiler

El Phantom

El Phantom

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 98 posts

Defensive Artes would scale with the appropriate defense I would say, but they'd all cost 1TP or higher.

Passive movement Artes are a boost to Speed, but only for special circumstances. For instance mine is Reaper Sprint, and gives me a Speed boost whenever I choose to move towards my opponent.

Being all-rounded is good, since you can take advantage of stat weaknesses easily, but then it's the specialized fighter's job to take full advantage of the specialization. A duel is about who can play out their strengths best.

Edited by ~L~, 11 January 2014 - 07:07 AM.

Diabolical Rhapsody

Diabolical Rhapsody

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 642 posts

Hmm. So could you help me with a passive like you did for Reizarch. I think I'll add a Demon Dash like passive. If I list all the Artes could you help me balance their TPs? Other than that I have fair idea of the kind of characters I have played, so I'll be making another Demoness if that is alright? 

giphy.gif

If you have the time: 

Spoiler

SliceAndDice

SliceAndDice

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 95 posts

I did say Duels weren't meant to last very long.

Defensive points are there to resist maybe one or two extra attacks with a good amount of points.

Furthermore it only sounds that way because you didn't take into account of the higher cost Artes, which can potentially end a match immediately. They are also slower and can be denied by lower cost Artes, furthermore the defense scaling is there so that 0 cost Artes are not useless except against people who put points into it, which forces them to use higher cost artes in order to even damage them. Recall that Defense is calculated straight, meaning 10 Defense will block 10 damage, and anything 10 or lower will essentially be completely blocked. I made Defense with the problem of people spamming 0 Cost Artes in mind. Usually a highly defensive character would be slower, so forcing enemies to use slower moves like 1 and higher cost to even hurt them allows them to use 0 Costs and win the trade, likely their opponent doesn't have many defensive points, so 0 Cost moves can be decently effective. In a battle of tanks though, it is a pure slugfest and can literally take a long time, so let's avoid those.

There is also the fact that you didn't take into account of blocking, reducing damage to 10%, and respectively also Magic Guard which is for magic artes, these two actions are what everyone has access to.

So Duels can indeed last awhile, but only while clean blows are not dealt, and that can be achieved with proper evasion and blocking.

Oh yeah, regarding your rebukes about defenses, again.

Ploughing 29 points into one offensive stat would turn you into a wave motion cannon of sorts, but you'd also be a literal glass cannon under tonnes of pressure. Very likely your 0 Cost artes will be slower than other people's 0 Cost Artes because of that very low Skill. There is a way around it, and that's by out-ranging, but even then your low Speed would make it almost impossible to hit someone who has decently higher speed from a distance. They need only get close and wham, you're gone, with nothing defending you you're gone.

But that's the thing, you wouldn't need 29 points in an offensive stat, you'd only need 7 and a handful of 3/4-cost Artes. Suddenly you're a wave motion gun because you hit for upwards of 28-35, which is physically impossible for someone of equal level to defend against. As for blocking, we did take that into account, but all you need is a hybrid attack character who can use both magic and physical damage- they'd need a total of 14 points to be able to wreck in both stats, easily affordable, and now it's a chess game- defender has to predict which one they're going to use, and block or M Guard according, and the second they muck it up (or, the second their opponent decides to lob a Guard Crash for a lousy +1 TP cost on their big gun), defender is screwed. 

I can't speak for Apoc there, but it seems to me like making a tank character (which I would honestly roll myself as, given my personality) is the same as holding up a sign that says "I enjoy being one-shot by even the weakest of enemies while not damaging them much at all," which is especially concerning given your penchant in this RP Series of sending opponents that have 4-5x our stats against 5 of us.

2rD2TPI.gif

Myself, as told by a Hawk;

Spoiler

Crouching Bacon

Crouching Bacon

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 528 posts

huh, i'm shite with systems, but i was going to make a character who focuses on physical offense and speed.

the resistance stat is relatively high as well, so i could make attacks follow through...

but combined with low phys. def. it's looking kinda useless.

i guess i'll just continue making the Style first then tweak the Stats later on to see what fits.

as for magic and stuff like that...

if you're a physical attack based character, can you have magic-based passives?

Posted Image "Don't make me ship you!"

El Phantom

El Phantom

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 98 posts

Dice you forget about the other stats and the absolute rule that lower costs will defeat higher costs in a test of speed, and therefore completely deny them.

No point using the 3 cost if they're just going to use a 2 cost and lower and interrupt you. Yes, you get interrupted, while you don't lose the TP used in using the move, you just took a hit because your attack was so much slower.

Being able to one-shot someone is great, but that comes with the trade-off of being able to deal with them in everything else.

Furthermore, in a contest between two even cost moves, so say a 3 cost Arte versus another 3 cost Arte in optimal range for both, the user who has the higher skill will win and interrupt the other guy's, the loser of the trade fails their Arte COMPLETELY.

Glass Cannon builds are still the way they should be here, strong if they hit, but very risky if you fail it, or if the opponent gets the jump on you.

You are far too fixated on just damage and defensive stats. Other stats also exist.

@ Paper: Yeah, I don't see why not. Though I will check to see if it's too strong, or even too weak.

Edited by ~L~, 11 January 2014 - 08:41 AM.

SliceAndDice

SliceAndDice

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 95 posts

I think you're missing my point here. My issue is that the Defense stats don't look like they'll be effective at, well, defending against things, and your response is to give me alternatives to actually defending. Based on what you just said, it looks like the best way to "tank" is to stack Speed and spam low-cost Artes so they never get a shot off, and if they do manage to get one past us we just Block/M Guard, take at most 10% of our HP as damage, and resume. I'm not seeing where it benefits me to put points in P/M Defense, because from the way I'm looking at it, in order to make it useful I'd have to put such an exorbitant amount of points as to be impractical.

I mean, if the intent is to make No Selling harder to get to, I understand, but unless I missed something it looks like you went a bit overboard...

2rD2TPI.gif

Myself, as told by a Hawk;

Spoiler

Diabolical Rhapsody

Diabolical Rhapsody

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 642 posts

WIP. Hopefully be finished soon.

Spoiler

Edited by Diabolical Rhapsodii, 12 January 2014 - 04:25 AM.

giphy.gif

If you have the time: 

Spoiler

Faye

Faye

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • Location黄金の郷
L, I am going to haunt you with questions regarding res and skill and trading blows~

Prepare your skype >:'D
Yes, I am going to make a glass cannon despite all your warnings, as it fits my personality best~

Edited by fayrbrant, 11 January 2014 - 10:55 AM.

El Phantom

El Phantom

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 98 posts

I have also suggested your character here reflect you as best as possible.

So I won't judge you if you're a girl or of feminine spirit Diabolic.

Edited by ~L~, 11 January 2014 - 11:17 AM.

Diabolical Rhapsody

Diabolical Rhapsody

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 642 posts

oops, I think i missed that bit :P

I'll make it reflect in the final edit.

giphy.gif

If you have the time: 

Spoiler

El Phantom

El Phantom

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 98 posts

I also only warned against excessive stat Glass Cannons. I mean, they can work, and some are properly justified, like Trouble's being primarily support.

It's just, don't do it because you think it's overpowered, because I can prove to you it really isn't, and is actually really weak. Because it becomes incredibly easy to deny your attacks, which while powerful, will never land so long as I can keep denying them. In short I can Perfect K.O you.

I do expect people to specialize in around 3-4 stats for optimal 1v1 dueling. Specializing in 2 or so stats is only good in 2v2 duels, where either cover each other's weaknesses.

Though, if you think it suits you (I know Trouble loves it... She did it like that back in the old Tales of OMF), then go ahead.

Okay thanks on that. Next query. Suppose someone (especially me) makes another glacier if the tiers double the stats originally allotted will there be no redemption for slow pokes like them them. Because bosses will cream the league of such players.

I spotted this on my way back to check a few things.

Stats etc and the system are only references during regular RP phases (like a full party/split party boss battle). So you'd be able to take more hits during those if your stats were high enough.

Edited by ~L~, 11 January 2014 - 01:13 PM.

Axe Of Khorne

Axe Of Khorne

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNext Door...

@L

I've already discussed the TP values. Yes 3-4 are insta gibs, but a glass cannon can just spam the 0-1 TP spells, and can quite easily force a Defensive built character to perma block, or die. It's not the STATS that are the problem, it's the DAMAGE. The scaling is WAY to high. Seriously, the easiest fix is to simply tone it down:

Spoiler

Just my two cents on possible changes

Edited by Axe Of Khorne, 11 January 2014 - 02:11 PM.

If you want to sum up this creature in a paragraph...

Spoiler

Geo

Geo

Potato

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationThe Hood

Spoiler

"updated for evaluation." I never play as a glass cannon.

Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself.

Memento Mori - Remember to Die.

El Phantom

El Phantom

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 98 posts

Going to have to reject those.

I have stated that Duels were not designed to last for long at all, I would have toned them down if that were the case, but I have chosen to keep it the way it is. Damage only seems extremely powerful because of it, but that's because we have the ability to Block and Evade, both of which are fairly effective.

Resistance is a constant, and there are ways to boost it, such as a Support Arte, one existing in the actual games is the status Iron Stance. Yes, Support Artes can boost stats, with reasonable limitation, which I will keep an eye on.

I will ask all to refrain further from complaining or being dissatisfied with the System. After all, EVERY duel is optional, so if you don't want to deal with it, you don't have to. I also don't want to have to explain that it was made that way so that duels didn't last long. I'm pretty sure I've said that... What... The fourth time now?

I am sick of saying it over and over again and I much prefer not to repeat myself. If you continue, it may be necessary to bar you from the RP.

Important note by the way.

Spoiler

@ Geo: Your cooking level is too high for starters. Such a level is unachievable by one such as yourself.

Style bonuses...

• Dark and Light Artes - Gives Geo access to Light and Dark Artes.
  • Hybrid Artes - Allows Geo to use hybrid Artes that combine light and dark.
  • Elemental Dissonance - Pure Dark and pure Light Artes do 10% more damage.

Overlimit. Your Speed will not be increased by 2. Rest of it is fine.

For Artes...

Blade of Eclipse, and Under Angel's Wing reminded me that I actually forgot an Equipment section. So remove those and add an Equipment Section directly above Style Name.

Elemental Dissonance increases damage by pure Light or pure Dark moves damage by 10%. It is also now your Style Bonus.

Reaper's Harvest drains 10% of your HP, but it cannot go lower than 1%. So say you only have 1%, you can actually keep spamming it if you have the TP to do it.

Healing Essence heals 20% HP.

Demonic Essence boosts an ally's or your own damage by 20%.

Exodus the Cerberus has equal to 75% your Physical Defense, Attack, Speed and Skill. It can only bite, which is a 0 cost Arte.

Essence Glitch will make it harder for enemies to hit you from a range. It simply becomes a factor when trying to do so.

Encase does no damage, obviously. If it succeeds though, enemy is vulnerable and it's pretty close to an instant win. But it's 3 cost, so it is expected to be slow. Also it seems to be melee range.

Add these to your CS.

Also, I hope you are aware... That some of your Artes are actually magical? You've forgotten the Physical/Magical categorization for Assault Artes.

Edited by ~L~, 11 January 2014 - 04:26 PM.

Crouching Bacon

Crouching Bacon

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 528 posts

Not complete yet, but I'm getting there.

Thoughts, L?

This is making me rethink my plans... maybe I should include some magic offense in there somewhere...

Spoiler

Edited by Captain Sciutto, 12 January 2014 - 07:09 AM.

Posted Image "Don't make me ship you!"

Führer Itulhu

Führer Itulhu

Potato

• Donator
  • 145 posts
  • LocationThe place supported by the fallen

my CS so far, looks like i'm going half party support with this

Spoiler

DLHUZic.jpg?1

I encountered you.....

This world has chosen the reality and future that shouldn't have been chosen

That's Why I'm here

Geo

Geo

Potato

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationThe Hood

Spoiler

Edited again for eval.

Edited by Geo, 12 January 2014 - 10:33 PM.

Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself.

Memento Mori - Remember to Die.

Officer Judy Hopps

Officer Judy Hopps

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationWonderland!

Spoiler

Made some adjustments as per recommendation from L.

Edited by Trouble, 11 January 2014 - 06:00 PM.

tumblr_o3sndbSAhX1qctrupo2_500.gif

Me, according to a Hero:

Spoiler

nevernown

nevernown

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 575 posts
  • Location-1x378DE022

Heya Guys,

After Talking to Yuuichi and some others in the chat, I thought I'd give joining a try...

Now this might be asked already, but what are the seven elements?

(since I wanted to try to get some of them into my artes)??

Professional Titles, granted by forum-members: Hobbit, Wordsmith, Weirdo, Creep, Reachable Height, DJ, Bishie, Beautiful Poet, Professor, Dutchie-Boy, Writer, Pervy-Sage, Cookie, "Teia: Oh gosh", Geeky boy, Traitor, Stalker (more to be expected)

gkq0.png

Creativity
- Thoughts
- SoundCloud