Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Sun Ken Rock Discussion

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

Weaper

Weaper

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 242 posts

So is there a set release schedule for this series or are the updates spontaneous?

"spontaneous"... if only
Sun Ken Rock is published every 2 weeks in Japan and released under a 3 days span once Japanzai has the raw. Now, why isn't there a release every 2 weeks the? Because we are dependent on our raw provider that is taking quite some liberty with delay lately

Posted Image

Sun-Ken RockGunnmMemories of Enamon

Spoiler

ndanix

ndanix

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 70 posts
Nice one, pickaxe! (probably

Donuts

Donuts

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 15 posts
I just spent who knows how long catching up on 40 or so chapters and the hype levels are so high. I can only hope the story development is as epic as I think its going to be (if theres a fight with Ban Phuong hopefully Ken wont start it injured this time). But at the same time I'm sorta scared at how Boichi will approach the White Dragon boss using his daughter after that politician incest scenario (he needs to die already) ~.~

Either way I really enjoyed the ride that is Sun Ken Rock. Some humor, some epic fights, and a bunch of moments that make you want to slow down your reading to take it all in.

Weaper

Weaper

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 242 posts
Heya, SKR level 100 makes the cover of this monday's Young King:
http://sunkenrock.com/2012/05/26/young-king-12/

Posted Image

Spoiler

dullChris

dullChris

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Always love seeing the drawings from this manga, so awesome!

ndanix

ndanix

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 70 posts
Man...

Ken is awesome.

Crimson Null

Crimson Null

Fingerling Potato

• Contributor
  • 74 posts
  • LocationMars
I second that, I can't wait to see the big fight

Femto

Femto

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • LocationRussia
Does anybody know when chapter 103 is coming? Is it on hiatus? Did Boichi say something when he's gonna continue SKR? Will we see regular releases again?

Edited by Andrey Beylin, 09 August 2012 - 04:42 PM.

Squirly

Squirly

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 20 posts
So I just read chpater 111. And things are going nowhere fast. Seriously, can we get some resolution up in here?

Weaper

Weaper

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 242 posts

So I just read chpater 111. And things are going nowhere fast. Seriously, can we get some resolution up in here?

are we really reading the same manga?

level 110: Ken finally joined Tae-Soo's point of view of the states being nothing more then gang. he now has the reason (to protect those he cares for) and the drive to see that idea to its completion and create his own state. That was one of the BIG aim of that manga and basically the aim of Tae-Soo's plan.

level 111: after winning over most of Kim Ban-Phuong's team he is now facing him. Even if the others assassins now looks up to Kim they are still loyal to him. By winning over Kim, Ken will get the firepower to face the White Dragon clan or protect himself if Don Prego's family starts to stirr things up (ie Benito). That chapter is a break in the fight to make sure of what's in the balance. It'll also show how Kim will redeem himself for all the wrongs he did.

This is not your common shonen where all the "plot" is shown steps by steps to you. It's not because you're not able to get it that nothing of importance is happening. Here you need to make your brain work a little and understand all the depth of what's happening. If you're not able to do that I recommend you to reread it all as to have each steps in your head. Or if you can't do that then go back to read Naruto and other easy shonen for 12yo.

Edited by Weaper, 16 November 2012 - 11:47 AM.

Posted Image

Spoiler

Squirly

Squirly

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 20 posts
Ooooh. Ouch. Did I step on something? Either way, the fight is dragging on and while I can see the personal history and the development of the character, what I don't see is development of plot. That's probably just me, though, feel free to ignore it.

inzaratha

inzaratha

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • LocationArizona (or somewhere in the forest riding a unicorn)
What I liked about this chapter was Ken's thoughts in the last few pages about hell being inside oneself.

I also liked the art of course, technically as an artist I'm impressed with stuff like the different angles and perspectives of the drawing of the body, like the scene where they are getting ready to fight and you are seeing it from the perspective of lying on the ground underneath them, really cool.

Edited by inzaratha, 16 November 2012 - 07:00 PM.

Weaper

Weaper

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 242 posts
just got my hands on the latest chapter (level 113). It's so awesome that I think it's worth mentioning here!
it's already TLed and even though I'm really busy IRL I'll try my best to get it out soon this week.

Stay tunned, it'll make everybody accept SKR's awesomness!!!

Posted Image

Spoiler

inzaratha

inzaratha

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 501 posts
Ch 113 was really good, I thought that Ban Phuong would beat him actually, because he has killing intent and I don't really think that Ken wants to kill him, but I don't think he can win against a katana.

Hollowcantaro

Hollowcantaro

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • LocationSpanishtan
This feels like Dragon Ball, now Ken powers up...

Ch 113 was really good, I thought that Ban Phuong would beat him actually, because he has killing intent and I don't really think that Ken wants to kill him, but I don't think he can win against a katana.

Really? He just killed 3 guys with subMG and axes....

Edited by Hollowcantaro, 07 January 2013 - 11:46 PM.

inzaratha

inzaratha

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 501 posts
I meant against Ban Phuong - I think he doesn't really want to kill him - as is obvious from what he said to him, but Ban Phuong does not think that way.

Jakoul

Jakoul

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts
Even though this series is a tad slow the action and story progression more than makes up for it. ~random opinion

Lucyfer.

Lucyfer.

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 9 posts
Ok, I think I found your thread XD.
Basically my beef with the late chapters is that the fight is so long and so oversaturated that it loses meaning, looks insignificant. All the far shots of the buildiongs, snow and the in-betweens; the long fight was supposed to build a culmination point but it misses its goal. It becomes boring.
I get the whole gang and state, the group of interest and individual "dichotomy", but its not well executed. Biochi lost the focus while dabbling with his art. I love his art and all the details, I follow SKR for a long time now but its the first time it burdens heavy on me by its predictability and repeatability. It rises stalling to a whole new level. And I wont even start on the fall and rise dillema, or "completing the levels". Its so annoying at this point that your comment on going back to Naruto is just laughable - it does the EXACT same thing. That is my problem, that Biochi turns to the low and overused tropes I begin to loathe in mangas.

I hope this gets on track real fast...

Edited by Lucyfer., 22 January 2013 - 12:45 PM.

Weaper

Weaper

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 242 posts
As promised, here's what I what I get out of these chapters, roughly summarized and putting aside the obviously gorgeous and mind-blowing artwork (fanboy inside), I hope this will help lots of faithful readers to appreciate even more Boichi's masterpiece.

For the tl:dr fans, you can just read the parts in CAPS AND BOLD. They should be enough to prove me point in a more timely fashion.

As for those thinking I go too far in my interpretation, I'll just answer that as Sun Ken Rock's editor (in scanlation ofc) I spent up to several hours on each pages and that allow me to appreciate it wholeheartedly. Lots of time to think too :D

Anyways, here you go. Per request of Lucyfer, whom I harbour no ill will but was the one who made me dive and explain, I present you my analyse of SKR as far as 10 chapters back. Enjoy

SKR level 105:

This chapter starts on a light note as Ken goes around his underlings to see if they fought as true members of his ganga. He is reaffirming his position as the boss, something he rarely do.
What's more, we can see a certain touch of nostalgia in his "voice" and expression as he fully know that after this day nothing will be the same. That's why he needs to know if they are true faithful and worthy members of the Sun Ken Rock gang. Would they be able to continue if we were to be taken out or put in jail?
After one of the most hilarious face Do-Heun ever made, we are abruptly brought back in the dark side of the fight. The member of the all-powerful Hakuryukai are getting inpatient to say the least. They chose to simply discard the plan of using Ban Phuong's assassins who keep getting overcome by those worthy members of the SKR gang and so TAKE THE HEAVY WEAPONRY out. What's more, to ensure their victory, THEY CHOSE TO USE THE HOSTAGE dear to the opposite's gang boss and don't even stop to kill her guard, a member of Ban Phuong's team. They are determined to stop to nothing and possess the drive and means to reach their sinister goal.

SKR level 106:

Ban Phuong is still seeking the truth behind Ken's action and will. He is also wondering about the hostage's true identity as he believe she hold the key to this answer. When he goes to meet her, he see that the Hakuryuukai's men will stop to nothing to make an example out of her.
What's even more important is that this chapter is the one where YUMIN FINALLY DISCOVERS KEN'S TRUE "WORK".
That's also when Yumin, under the shock of the revelation disclose here identity to Ban Phuong who now UNDERSTAND KEN AND IS FINALLY DETERMINED TO FACE HIM.
Ban Phuong also chose to wipe the threat that were those Yakusa, he do this as a preventive measure for what's to come as well as to protect Yumin who is dear to someone who he respect despite the fact that everything oppose them. I believe there is also a bit of revenge for his fallen comrade in this action.

SKR level 107:

For the third time in the manga, KEN FINALLY MEETS BAN PHUONG.
KEN IS HEARTFELT as Yumin now know his true implications. The setting is planted however unlike shitty shonen broshit it doesn't just directly in some mindless fight. Ken isn't fighting without aim, especially since his loved one is safe and unhurt. He wants to understand Ban Phuong's motive and shows that he knows him well.
Ban Phuong plans to put an end to Ken's and so does he. However he wants to do so to bring the troubled Ban Phuong back to the right path.
Now that both of our protagonist made their will and aim clear, THE FIGHT CAN BEGINS.

SKR level 108:

The last time they fought, all the way back to level 11 of the 2nd volume and even though he found his determination admirable Ban Phuong played with Ken like a baby. Will history repeat itself?
After the live he had these last years Ban Phuong grew even stronger and was far from believing that Ken could put any kind of fight but Ken catch him off-guard and dive right in the fire. However, ban Phuong has both the strength and skills of a killing machine and starts to pown Ken severely. IN JUST A FEW PAGES, KEN IS COEVERED IN BLOOD laying on the floor. But Ken isn't done for, as Samson who was granted miraculous strength by God to face his enemies, he put his hair back in shape and HE JUMPS BACK INTO THE FIGHT with redoubled determination.
Yumin who was still chained can no longer ignore her rage and her side that is the daughter of the strongest Yakuza gang kicks back in (little prop to the glare on the earing). She breaks free from her restraints and plans to go commando (in more than one way ifyouknowwhatimean.jpg) on our two fighter's ass. As was often commented HELL HAVE NO FURRY LIKE A WOMAN SCORNED.

SKR level 109:

A whole chapter with a single sentence. Of course it will seem fast however the dynamism of the fights is breathtaking and was rarely as expressive in any manga out there. But I said I woudn't talk about the graphic side of SKR so let's pass that.
Ken is obviously overpowered by Ban Phuong, the little motivation he built back as the end of the previous chapter doesn't help much as he gets his ass handed to him. He solely survive thanks to his wild side. Because if you hadn't remarked, DESPITE BAN PHUONG BEING OVER SKILLED, KEN IS HIS OPPOSITE IN A FIGHT. A rare wildness and a self-taught style that will be the key of a possible future victory as he hold no chance in a battle of skills.
Ban Phuong intensify his hunt.
Another point that makes this chapter seems fast is that unlike other shonen brocrap they don't shout all those useless and annoying technique name every time they move a finger.

SKR level 110:

The unpredictability of Ken allow him to take back the upper hand in the fight as he bet everything on a "mid-air jump between building interception". How about THAT for a killer technique name? I'm sure it'd be damn more impressive if he was shouting it at the time... yeah right...
Anyways, IT'S THE FIRST TIME THAT KEN BRING BAN PHUONG TO THE FLOOR and show that he has a ray of hope and a chance to bring him down. He now understand what happened to bring an entity such as Ban Phuong to existence and knows that a system allowing this has to change... or disappear.
That is a milestone in itself but the real focus of this chapter is that KEN FINALLY REJOIN TAE-SOO ON HIS VIEWS OF THE STATES AND GANGS, HE NOW PLANS TO FOLLOW THROUGHT WITH TAE-SOO'S PLAN. Another more recent side of Tae-Soo's plan is to make Ban Phuong join the SKR team but even if Ken won against most of his men, and brought them to look up to him, they are still loyal to Ban Phuong and will follow him wherever he goes.
Ban Phuong is down but that's not what hurts the most as he is obviously overcome by Ken's might.

SKR level 111:

BAN PHUONG EXPOSE ONE OF HIS REASONS TO FIGHT KEN, he resent him for the rejection he got back in level 11 when Tae-Soo first went to welcome him in the gang. He held Ken responsible for what he went through these last years and lead to this point.
But Ban Phuong isn't some stupid one track idiot, his characters is incredibly deep and Ken catch on the fact that he still regret his choice of not saving Miss Yoo in level 7. HE CAN'T HOLD HIS HEAD HIGH IN SHAME but Ken wants him and will help him right his wrongs once they are done with the fight. Ban Phuong is stunned by this anouncement.
Another reason why Ban Phuong fights against Ken is because HE WANTS TO PUT AN END TO HIS ASCENSION BEFORE HE COMES TO A SINISTER END BY THE HANDS OF THE HAKURYUUKAY. In his own sense, he protects Ken and is confident in his capacities to overcome him. But Ken can also see how tormented Ban Phuong is and wants to help him too.
Both men are pumped up by each others word and head to what could be called the final stage.
For those who don't understand how such a break in the fight could happen, let's me remind you that they don't fight without meaning. What brought to this fight is the will of this two men and before closing the curtain they must put everything on the table.

On a side note, Ban Phuong could be seen as what could have become of Ken had he not met Yumin and the future SKR team back then.
Both had people dear to them murdered because of the "system". They both have a sure charisma and are gifted fighters, up to the time Ken met Yumin he was heading the wrong path and would have undoubtedly done a mistake that would bring him in a (bad) Yakuza gang. Ban Phuong never found someone who believed in him nor supported him when he went through a similar phase and we now see the result. Ken is the first one that he really respect and who understand him. That's why in his way he tries to get him out of arms way even if that means fighting him.
This is an important point that I hope to have made understandable.

SKR level 112:

The fight resume, wildness against skills. However Ban Phuong is still held back by his feelings toward Ken (damn, that sounds so gay). Ken understand that Ban Phuong hold no will to kill him and make it known. After Ken's little taunt, Ban Phuong lets everything out and will FIGHT FULL FORCE.
From somewhere else YUMIN SPOTED THEIR LOCATION AND IS ON HER WAY. A decisive factor for what's to come.
ps: damn, she's cuuuute~

SKR level 113:

Yumin is still mad and pantyless.
A THIRD PARTY ENTERS THE GAME. If Ban Phuong's team was plan A and the heavy weaponry plan B, then there is obviously a plan C which appears here as a clean up team all geared up (note to self that the Hakuryuukai seems to work by teams of 3). Mystery sexy gal is a plus too :)
All stops are off and Ken gets pounded by Ban Phuong, the difference in strength and overall fighting abilities is too great. HE IS SENT TO THE FLOOR, DOWN FOR THE COUNT.
That's when EVERYONE'S FAVORITE POLICE WOMEN ENTERS THE FIGHT, gun blazing up front and determined to protect someone dear to her. Ammunitions are a limited resource but katana however are devastating in expert hands. PLAYER 2 ENTERS THE GAME!

SKR level 114:

Yumin's expert sword handling force Ban Phuong to PICK UP A WEAPON, till then he always fought bare handed no matter who was the opponent. Yumin is strong and he has to be wary of that katana.
But Yumin is too frail and exhausted, hardly a match for the monster. Even without a chance, she'll stand strong AND PROTECT KEN.
Ever heard of the SUSPENSION BRIDGE EFFECT? Look it up. Those 2 already close characters are brought close by the adversity and Ken's honest apologies are what was needed to close the deal. YUMIN IS BACKING KEN AND HE DOESN'T BACK DOWN EITHER.
Ban Phuong didn't renounce on protecting them and tell them to save themselves. However, Ken new-found support bring the fight in him (especially since he had quite the time to catch his breath while Yumin was fighting).
To resume: "DON'T RAISE YOUR VOICE TO MY WOMAN".

SKR level 115:

Ken tag out Yumin who had it rough facing the Ban Phuong powerhouse. His woman is looking and he has to prove himself strong, that's all the motivation needed for him to dive back in. BUT KEN ISN'T ALONE, THE MIGHT OF COUNTLESS PERSONS BACK HIM and Yumin was the one who remembered him of that. His fists hold the will of them all. He use his favorite weapon to disarm Ban Phuong and bring him on his knee before going back to their primed HAND TO HAND FIGHT.

Hope all this will make you enjoy even more the next chapter of SKR and all those to come. Cheers

Edited by Weaper, 22 January 2013 - 10:13 PM.

Posted Image

Spoiler

Lucyfer.

Lucyfer.

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 9 posts
Hey Weaper, I think you are too close to the work you have done to see you are overintelectualizing a bit here. ou put your own meaning, a strong one, and impressions weras there is simple plot in this regard. What you did here is just summarising what we alredy know, ther is no secret revelation in the paragraphs you've written. [well, maybe the younger generation might be somewhat enlightened by oyur post since I belive much of them are for great tits, legs and figting... but I hope I'm wrong].

You see, as I've explained I dont like the form they've taken the battle...
... answer what will be next? If Ban Phuong is so strong that he almost finished Ken, what adversities will come up next? Just like DBZ, Boich will have to present another Big Bad(dder) Wolf which is a deteriorating. We had some agendas, i especially liked the music industry and casino arcs. Housing and developement is also great but here we go back to playing pokemon gotta catch 'em all. Thee fight is clearly a stall game and fanboism at its finest. I want to go back to Yakuza plot and see the fallout of their mendling in Kens new homeland. I dont need to watch invincible Phoenix-Ken rising now and again... overused it lessens its meaning - Boichi unfotunately built a trap for himsef with this one. Coz after Ban Phuong is defeated or joins (I dont care at this moment, he bacame a flat character for me - theres so much badass flowing out of him its annoying already, hes so emo now that I lost all interest) the rest of the competition should be a joke... but it cant be for obvious plot progression reason.

Ah, its too late, I cant go on right now...