Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.7 - 976votes)

Koe no Katachi

Alt Names: alt A Silent Voicealt 声之形alt รักไร้เสียงalt 聲の形alt 聲之形alt 목소리의 형태alt La forma de la vozalt Sesin Şeklialt The Shape of a Voicealt هيئة الصوتalt Wujud Sebuah Suaraalt Форма Голоса
Author: Ooima Yoshitoki
Artist: Ooima Yoshitoki
Genres: Award Winning Award WinningDrama DramaRomance RomanceSchool Life School LifeShounen Shounen
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Shouya Ishida, a boy always looking for ways to beat boredom, ends up looking for it in the wrong place. Weirded out by his new classmate, a deaf transfer student named Shouko Nishimiya, he deems her as the target of his ostracizing and bullying. Day after day, Shouya picks on Shouko, unaware of the effects of his thoughtless actions. He finally understands the pain he has inflicted on her when one day, his bullying culminates in her leaving the school, and his classmates begin to shun and harass him every chance they get instead. Determined to right his wrongs, five years later, Shouya, now a third year high school loner, meets Shouko again. Thus begins the story of a young man's path to redemption.
Go to Koe no Katachi Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Is this worth reading? New Window Kenshin-dono
  • 26 Replies
Topic The hearing aids; what's their point? New Window Joe-Kerr
  • 2 Replies
Topic Koe no Kitachi anime confirmed New Window KeK
  • 5 Replies
Topic What happened to the sister? New Window Sennkestra
  • 16 Replies
Topic Latest Chapter Discussion New Window Blue Flaming Wings
  • 72 Replies
Topic I am outraged at the father New Window Joe-Kerr
  • 2 Replies

2149 Comments

That was unexpected.

Someone want to translate the special chapter? Got raws for it (and cleaned them).

i translated to spanish, if you want, send me a message and will translate it to english with you.

Someone want to translate the special chapter? Got raws for it (and cleaned them).

I only got around to finishing this today... and I still dislike Ueno.... and the ending felt lackluster.... and the beginning chapters were painful to the heart...

....but I'm glad I read it all the same.

Cutest girl is Yuzuru.

im getting a ano natsu de matteru nostalgia i was touch of that manga
Anime movie sometime this fall!

Hikaye mükemmeldi ama o son olmamış be...

Nominated for an Eisner Award!

This manga is so beautiful. I wish there was more to read, I must have more.

One of the best manga I've read. A treasure trove of character development, backstories and complex personalities. Top characters include Ishida, Mashiba, Yuzuru, Shouko, Ueno and Pedro. Argue all you want but that's my opinion!!!

Pedro = best girl

This story really resonates with me. Oddly enough, it's Ishida I sympathize with most. He inflicts far more punishment and suffering on himself for his actions than anyone else ever did. Kawai is a despicable character, the way she turns on the water works to garner sympathy and outs someone instantly to make herself look innocent. Seriously, she took off the glasses the first time to make sure everyone could see her cry. She's repulsive. Ueno is interesting. She can be hated for saying and doing the things she does at times, but she's also oddly likable and refreshing for having the brass set to be completely open and always voice what she's thinking and feeling. A lot of people don't have the fortitude to be that honestly straightforward.

This is a good story with complex characters that really makes you stop and think about the nature of relationships and human interaction.     

This manga really good ! ... can't believe it, it was tagged shounen where i think seinen is more suitable for this kind of story .... they are not somekind of cheap drama of hate and love ... everything was about redemption and how a guilty feelings keep haunting you back for something worse you did to someone else ..

Spoiler

I'll be honest. This is one of my favorites of all time. 
Yeah, I've been watching anime and reading manga since the 90's and few have had the impact on me as this one has had. The pacing of the story, the honest and brutal way it handles the issues of communication, bullying, friendship, and self isolation. The art is great, and the character development is spot on. 
Whenever the movie comes out, I will definitely watch it. 

All of this manga is on Crunchroll

Honest, beautiful, real, and truly compelling. A work of art and love. Of the hundreds of manga I've read, I can safely say this stands in the shadow of none of them. It is in a league all its own. 

Read this. This is not a suggestion, it is a requirement.

i still come back every so often to see if there's an epilogue chapter...

If you like Deaf protagonists... new anime just started airing:

Gangsta

I didn't realize the guy was deaf until halfway through the first episode, I thought he was just an ass that didn't answer phones!

Warning though, lots of violence and prostitute sex.

I cried and cried.. It's so painful but I am glad I finished it. 

Rereading this and as I read the beginning again, my heart is just wrenching and torn knowing what I already know yet I also know that the pay off is great as well.....

Mmmm... Good manga but too sudden ending. I didn't even know that was the ending until just now coming back to the manga.

I find it so difficult to read this. When I read this , I am consumed by self-hatred. I hate those kids and those people who act that way, then I realize that I myself acted this way before. Always protecting myself by hurting others. I gave up reading after a few chapters, because it hurts my heart so much.

Wow! Wow...wow. That's so good! It immediately went to the top 5, easily!

I thought I'd never see a coming-of-age story on par with  Onani Master Kurosawa, but it seems I finally found it! The main difference is Onani is a story of redemption of a single person, right after his deeds. This story seems to be somewhat similar in this regard. However, it is much different. Though a coming of age alright, it is actually the simultaneous growth and redemption of both main characters, with a large gap between it all. Like a sorrowful but beautiful dance of the two, they awkwardly move forward. The other characters are good as well, though not given much the spotlight for me to attach to them.

My main gripe with the series was the pacing. It never stop to catch its breath. It is one thing after the other and when you blink, its over. There was much that could be explored, but perhaps that was envisioned from the start, given how late they are already on high school when it begins.

About the ending:

Spoiler

Oh gosh, now I really want more of it. Then it would be a 11. That was a heavy and artful manga for a newcomer. Let's see what more can she show us.

glad i read this

Spoiler

the story was great but I didn't like ending ie expected more but is ok, now I'll wait for the animation.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics