Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Latest Chapter Discussion

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Blue Flaming Wings

Blue Flaming Wings

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Because we got to get to it eventually, and since I have a few confusions about this chapter.

Mainly, what was happening there at the very end. Why, exactly, is Shouya quitting his part time job, breaking out the New Years money and borrowing money from his mom? Is he planning on moving over to where Nishimiya is? Then did he drop out of highschool or is just taking a period of unexcused and unexpected absence? Did he learn sign language? Because by this time in the one-shot he has, but we never see him learning it. In the background of page 15, it says, "The second meeting of sign language translation", so perhaps he went there to learn and bumped into her accidentally? But then there is that call he made asking where she was - is he going to apologize without even knowing sign language?

Depending on the answers to these questions, things can turn out radically different. For example, if he did drop out of highschool, then it's possible that when he meets up with NIshimiya that he will end up enrolling into her highschool and come to know her friends (since I think that would be a point of contention for him if she got friends over the years - wasn't bullied - when he was isolated). But on the flip side, if he is still in that previous highschool, then Nishimiya and he could go back, and then the story would revolve around getting the students to see their wrongs and apologize to both NIshimiya and Shouya like he is trying to do now.

Personally, I'm not crazy about the second idea. For while the other students are the only side characters we know, they're not very likable. But, who knows, as the story goes on they could become more sympathetic and we will begin to see the events that happened through their own eyes. But I still like the idea of an entirely new cast, one that can befriend him and get him to open up again after all those years of isolation and restrained hatred (both to his classmates, but more so for himself). Bonus points if the school is a specialty school designed only for those with disabilities or just the deaf (and so forgoing the usual bullying problems) and so the very friends he'll  make are like Nishimiya who he used to bully - and shows how far he developed character-wise.

So, that ended up being more of a current and future chapter discussion, but it works. Looking forward to hearing from you all!

WriterFourHire

Because I've gotten tired of people trying to hire me to write ...

MuzikalNotes

MuzikalNotes

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

Going through Chapter 5, it feels more like he's going to kill himself. Note how the line "I'm gonna die someday. Since I'll be dead sooner or later, I've gotta wrap up what I started." He's then shown ripping off half of his calendar, as if anything beyond that date is going to matter, quits his job, and sells all of his stuff. Also note that he wrote "I pay you back," not "I'll pay you back" on a package that's probably filled with cash. Add in his pessimism and his negative views on other people, at the very least, he doesn't have a lot of reasons to do otherwise. You could probably find another conclusion from this, but that's what I see. Either way, he's definitely not going through with it.

Also, their former classmates redeeming themselves doesn't feel all that realistic and I think it would be better if the two cut off their ties with them. Transferring sounds likelier (and probably better) but it looks like it's still going to be a bumpy ride. Hopefully, this'll be a way up for the both of them.

Blue Flaming Wings

Blue Flaming Wings

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 358 posts

Interesting. I never considered the suicide route. I had thought that his dropping out of school (presumably), quitting his job, and selling his stuff was in preparation of devoting his time to learning sign language so he can properly apologize. I thought the I pay you back might have been a typo. But it's also possible that he is gathering up his money to give to his mother and then looking for her, not knowing sign language, to do his best to make amends before he offs himself. Given all the bullying he has had over the years and the "Jump off the roof" graffiti they put on his desk, he may very well do it.

Of course, the manga isn't going to go that way, so hopefully their reunion here gives him the strength to continue on.

And yeah, I also don't think the redemption of the classmates is all that realistic. At least Shouya learned his lesson - they seem to just want to bully for the sake of bullying and found a new target in Shouya now that Nishimiya is gone. I'm stunned that none of them realize the hypocrisy of bullying a bully, especially one who doesn't bully anymore. Why I think their redemption would fill a lot of shonuen tropes of the "power of friendship" and all that - I would have trouble buying it, and swallowing it.

But, as I said, we've only had the barest glimpses of them and all through Shouya's pov - they could be made more sympathetic if we saw things through their eyes.

Not likely, but possible.

Phantaminum the Riddle

Phantaminum the Riddle

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 41 posts

Very good chapter overall. Although it hinted at it in the last chapter, it looks like Ishida was really planning to kill himself after apologizing to Nishimiya. I'm glad things did not happen that way, and I'm really glad Nishimiya is so kind, or he really would have killed himself. It sucks that the mother smacked him, but when you think about it, he kind of deserved it. One last thing, I didn't know that Nishimiya was living with anyone else besides her mother until this chapter, but I really hope that Ishida gets to meet the rest of her family if Nishimiya brings him over her house. THAT should be an interesting chapter. What did everyone else think of it?

figureLP09

figureLP09

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • LocationInside a sword.

Since the mother already went ahead of us readers and slapped him silly, I don't feel like being aggressive to him anymore. But now the fun part starts, now we get to see how his relationship with Nishimiya (and others) will develop.

I have high expectations of this one! :D

The soil of a man's heart is stonier. He grows what he can, and he tends it. 

Blue Flaming Wings

Blue Flaming Wings

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 358 posts

Since the mother already went ahead of us readers and slapped him silly, I don't feel like being aggressive to him anymore. But now the fun part starts, now we get to see how his relationship with Nishimiya (and others) will develop.

I have high expectations of this one! :D

To be fair, he's been paying for his mistakes for the last few years. And I stil can't get over the fact that she never learned sign. What does it say for her to be so self-righteous when he learned sign to apologize to Nishimiya while her own mother was unwilling to do so? It kinda leaves the smack hollow for me. Now, a smack from Nishimiya when he apologized or asked to be her friend would be entirely understandable ... and it would make his suicide all but certain. Like Phantaminum the Riddle I'm glad it didn't go that route.

hero

hero

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,381 posts

just read chapter 8 and I must say I am really liking this manga.

I like it that he now is going to make some friends, at least the fat guy is the first one.

I hope that that short guy at the sign language class who told sho that shouko wasnĀ“t there isnĀ“t in love with shouko, that would just be lame.

Phantaminum the Riddle

Phantaminum the Riddle

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 41 posts

Yeah it was a good chapter. I'm just hoping that his new friend is a true friend and not like that blond haired asshole and his lackies. On another note, we're almost caught up with the raws.  The speed that anon black and her team have been translating this is unreal.

inzaratha

inzaratha

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • LocationArizona (or somewhere in the forest riding a unicorn)

This is coming out very quickly.    I hope that he gets a real friend and learns to be one.   He is at least actively trying to change and life does not seem easy for him since they don't seem to be doing well financially and he had to sell all his stuff. 

hero

hero

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,381 posts

This is coming out very quickly.    I hope that he gets a real friend and learns to be one.   He is at least actively trying to change and life does not seem easy for him since they don't seem to be doing well financially and he had to sell all his stuff. 

I really like it that his life isnĀ“t easy for him. it makes it more interesting and when he archieves something (like getting a new friend) its more satisfying.

Cake-kun

Cake-kun

Potato

• Contributor
  • 160 posts
  • LocationNot on your plate, hopefully

Apparently, sources say author has been sued for depicting truth on manga. (In Japan, this kind of thing is still taboo; bullying, fact that heroine is deaf girl, and all that leftest bullshit) Even though author even won an award for this.

Shame on you, retards

Well, fortunately, lawsuit settled and series is here to stay, hurray.

Edited by Cake-kun, 29 October 2013 - 02:47 PM.

• Ivy likes this

Jtnvinh9

Jtnvinh9

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

That guy/girl with the camera is such a prick

hero

hero

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,381 posts

That guy/girl with the camera is such a prick

well if you take into consideration that he is her brother than its understandable what he is doing.

MMfenrir

MMfenrir

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationITALY

well if you take into consideration that he is her brother than its understandable what he is doing.

http://vatoto.com/read/_/199908/koe-no-katachi_ch7_by_futari-wa-pretty-anon/2

it's not a brother  but a sister

hero

hero

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,381 posts

oh, totally thought it was a he, thx!

MMfenrir

MMfenrir

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationITALY

I know,  many people are confused by the clothes XD , but   that  is surely a girl face.

Edited by MMfenrir, 05 November 2013 - 07:01 PM.

SeniorSherlock

SeniorSherlock

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationQin

This manga is so moving and I am absolutely in love with it.... It makes me want to bully a deaf girl so badly.

I love how chapter 12 went hoping for a budding romance rivalry here

Edited by SeniorSherlock, 19 November 2013 - 02:33 AM.

Cake-kun

Cake-kun

Potato

• Contributor
  • 160 posts

Just read 15

oh man oh man oh man oh man

/squeal

also,

Spoiler
According to this, Shouko's birthday's possibly June 7th.

Edited by Cake-kun, 19 November 2013 - 04:20 AM.

hero

hero

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,381 posts

I wonder why the mother was only searching for Shouko and not also for her other kid. at least she had 3 umbrellas...

Cake-kun

Cake-kun

Potato

• Contributor
  • 160 posts

I wonder why the mother was only searching for Shouko and not also for her other kid. at least she had 3 umbrellas...

Spoiler