Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Is this worth reading?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Kenshin-dono

Kenshin-dono

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 12 posts
I tried reading this but only got about 20 pages in before i had to stop. I just raged too much at what massive ass holes the entire class is, especially that little boy narating at the start.. Jesus christ, wtf is wrong with people. Is it worth going through to the end or screw it? I was getting really mad. I tried to see if there was anything else by the author but couldn't find it

tokiwa

tokiwa

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 31 posts

It's worth it. I know the boy is annoying at the start, but just continue. Continue, I mean it.

toki9header_zps24873fa9.png

It's harder than it looks, don't you think?

❝天の道を行き、総てを司る!❝ // ❝これで決まりだ!❝ // ❝時を超えて 俺、参上!❝

Tumblr | Twitter | Wordpress

〈トキワ〉 トクサツとあにめとまんが

figureLP09

figureLP09

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • LocationInside a sword.

Read it. It´s beautiful.

The soil of a man's heart is stonier. He grows what he can, and he tends it. 

Akihito

Akihito

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

Read it till the end. It'll save you some faith in humanity.

She's the artist for Mardock Scramble if you want to check it out.

Edited by Akihito, 21 March 2013 - 10:46 PM.

ZeroMaster

ZeroMaster

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 26 posts

Read it. The boy gets what's coming to him.

Read it and show it to your kids/younger siblings while you're at it.

Edited by Zero2001, 31 March 2013 - 12:03 PM.

Slitherer

Slitherer

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts

I found it rather unrealistic. But character-wise, this was a really interesting read. The ending's the best part, so finish it!

Edited by Slitherer, 04 June 2013 - 03:26 AM.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

Well, as far as "Is it worth reading?" my personal opinion is "yes"..........but the OP makes a very valid point, it is a very, very upsetting story. Now as far as realism goes..........well, I've seen actual footage of, heard real life accounts of, and other manga/manhwa depictions of this sort of content and thought the exact same thing............"this can't be real".........but unfortunately I know often times it really is. Very worth reading, but not easy to. 

Tn7HA0h.png

homogenized

homogenized

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 24 posts

It's not worth reading.

It's required reading.

Lswgamer

Lswgamer

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

Look, I fanboyed enough in the comments so I'll give you my straight opinion, no favoritism, no hate on the students/teacher, no jokes, no nothing: Just what I think.

People should read it if they like to think about things.

They should read it if they want to appreciate the irony of it all.

They should read it if they want to read something that does not deal with the usual shounen standard feelings (though I'll admit the kid's got guts, even if he got the late (thankfully not TOO late))

They should read it if they want to see a boy turn into a man, seek redemption and achieve it.

Any other reasons are probably as good as the ones I named, and though it begins painfully, you have to appreciate how it turns out. 

Phantaminum the Riddle

Phantaminum the Riddle

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 41 posts

It's not worth reading.

It's required reading.

lolololol, yes! :)

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

I have to say I had absolutely no idea this had been serialized until I saw FwPA release ch 6 the other day...........no idea how I missed all the notices of the previous five chapters, that's pretty unusual in itself even if I did have this one on the "complete" list.

I'll have to say that right now I have no intention of reading the serialized version..........I thought the one-shot was an outstanding work and really don't want anymore after that. 

Tn7HA0h.png

Blue Flaming Wings

Blue Flaming Wings

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

I have to say I had absolutely no idea this had been serialized until I saw FwPA release ch 6 the other day...........no idea how I missed all the notices of the previous five chapters, that's pretty unusual in itself even if I did have this one on the "complete" list.

I'll have to say that right now I have no intention of reading the serialized version..........I thought the one-shot was an outstanding work and really don't want anymore after that. 

I agree. I loved the one shot, and was glad to see that they stayed faithful to it in the first six chapters - even expanding on some points. It's why I'm all that more excited to see it serialized. Writing is not like the lottery - you don't strike gold just once. You either have talent or you don't. I'm hopeful to see what's coming up.

Because I've gotten tired of people trying to hire me to write ...

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

I agree. I loved the one shot, and was glad to see that they stayed faithful to it in the first six chapters - even expanding on some points. It's why I'm all that more excited to see it serialized. Writing is not like the lottery - you don't strike gold just once. You either have talent or you don't. I'm hopeful to see what's coming up.

Oh, so you are reading the serialized version then? Wow, I'm just not sure I want to, the one-shot was great but it was a  powerful and upsetting type of story. I'll have to ponder on it, I might still look at it...........though in all honesty I'm still somewhat traumatized after Good Ending. God as my witness I wished after I got into the series that I'd never ever read the original one-shot. It's a big part of what's telling me not to read this one. 

Edited by svines85, 10 October 2013 - 01:23 AM.

Tn7HA0h.png

Blue Flaming Wings

Blue Flaming Wings

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 358 posts

Yeah. I started reading Good Ending too but ended up dropping it. I didn't like how fickle the main char. was. Anyway, I don't think that this manga will have that problem. What's driving it won't be the romance (though I still think it'll be a romance story) but the issues the two of them are dealing with. Redemption. You can always give it a shot then drop it if it's not going well for you, but I think it's already avoiding a lot of the headache-inducing clichés.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Yeah. I started reading Good Ending too but ended up dropping it. I didn't like how fickle the main char. was. Anyway, I don't think that this manga will have that problem. What's driving it won't be the romance (though I still think it'll be a romance story) but the issues the two of them are dealing with. Redemption. You can always give it a shot then drop it if it's not going well for you, but I think it's already avoiding a lot of the headache-inducing clichés.

To be honest, the GE parallel with the one-shot -vs- the serialized work........if you'd read the one-shot you basically knew what was going to happen for the entire work. Even over 100 chapters, the one-shot was still essentially the blue print for the whole thing. 

Now, if the serialization of  Koe no Kitachi started where the one-shot left off or at the least only had a brief (reasonably) rehash of the one-shot's content and then started some new story..........well, that'd be totally different. 

I guess since you said it had "stayed faithful" to the one-shot through the first six chapters.......so, I guess now it's caught up and might go on to new story content if it continues?

Tn7HA0h.png

Blue Flaming Wings

Blue Flaming Wings

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 358 posts

To be honest, the GE parallel with the one-shot -vs- the serialized work........if you'd read the one-shot you basically knew what was going to happen for the entire work. Even over 100 chapters, the one-shot was still essentially the blue print for the whole thing. 

Now, if the serialization of  Koe no Kitachi started where the one-shot left off or at the least only had a brief (reasonably) rehash of the one-shot's content and then started some new story..........well, that'd be totally different. 

I guess since you said it had "stayed faithful" to the one-shot through the first six chapters.......so, I guess now it's caught up and might go on to new story content if it continues?

Exactly. I've read the raws, it's currently up to chapter nine. I don't want to say where the story goes because of spoilers but it's definitely into new content. And as I said, the one shot also fleshes out stuff. For example, it introduces Nishimiya's mom, who adds another layer of context onto Nishimiya and Shouya's bullying of her.

Edited by WriterFourHire, 10 October 2013 - 03:17 PM.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Exactly. I've read the raws, it's currently up to chapter nine. I don't want to say where the story goes because of spoilers but it's definitely into new content. And as I said, the one shot also fleshes out stuff. For example, it introduces Nishimiya's mom, who adds another layer of context onto Nishimiya and Shouya's bullying of her.

Haaaaa...........no kidding? Ah hell, now I'm starting to want to read it. :D

Tn7HA0h.png

Blue Flaming Wings

Blue Flaming Wings

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 358 posts

Haaaaa...........no kidding? Ah hell, now I'm starting to want to read it. :D

Give it a shot. They've translated chapter 7 so we're just getting into the new content. Also, it's apparently a weekly manga so we should be getting new content regularly as well.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Give it a shot. They've translated chapter 7 so we're just getting into the new content. Also, it's apparently a weekly manga so we should be getting new content regularly as well.

I've definitely got it on my radar now, I'm a little snowed under but I'm going to keep an eye on it and see what happens with releases. Frankly if there's going to be more it couldn't be with much better of a group, FwPA does some good work and doesn't just forget about or get bored with their titles. 

edit: I just noticed this is a joint project w/VIS and FwPA with the serialization just like the one-shot was. I didn't notice that at first, my bad, VIS is a great group too. 

Edited by svines85, 11 October 2013 - 04:19 AM.

Tn7HA0h.png

inzaratha

inzaratha

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • LocationArizona (or somewhere in the forest riding a unicorn)

The one shot is basically the beginning of the story and it continues on from that  there is some rehashing and flashbacks in the first few chapters but then it goes forward from there.