Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

I am outraged at the father

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Joe-Kerr

Joe-Kerr

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

Seriously, the guy's a total dickwad.

But what really grinds my gears is not simply the dad's attitude. Assholes like that exist everywhere. What really offends me is the grandparents support towards their son's atittude and their lack of empathy for their granddaughter.

Now I know, one shouldn't get their idea of what Japanese society is like from manga. If manga were accurate, then japanese people wear towels INSIDE the bath (which completely defeats the purpose of a towel). But the asshat's father attitude seems more like a recurrent and generalized trope than a one time used dramatic device. There are quite a few mangas were the dad (sometimes the mom) has left the family, without so much as a goodbye and apparently, they're no worse for it.

Also if something like that happened over here, people would line up to punch the guy's face. I find it both unintelligible and inexcusable. I wonder if the same is true for Japanese.

Edited by Joe-Kerr, 09 October 2014 - 11:38 AM.

storyshares

storyshares

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

I've seen similar attitures in my country as well, it's not unique to Japan. Yes, grandparents too. I'd say even more, parents of young adult partners tend to be even bigger assholes about their son or daughter choice of partner. If this partner is unlucky enough to not be able to bear a kid or to bear a disabled kid, grandparents would try to chase them out. Especially the parents of a guy. They'll just drill his brains out if they don't like his young wife, leading him to divorce. The reason might be whatever, even her cooking. Worst-case scenario is when a guy like that lives with both his wife and parents at the same appartment. It's the old geezers' jealosity, I guess.

Ivy

Ivy

Potato

• Contributor
  • 154 posts

Joe-Kerr: Define "here".

Other than that, I've seen similar cases in my country (Spain) as well - not with a disabled chid, though, but still leaving the remaining parent in a very dire situation. Also, during Franco dictatorship, if the remaining parent was a single mom, she and her kid would face ostracism. People wouldn't let their kids play with hers, considered the single mom a whore, and many more things. Thankfully this has changed now and nowadays isn't considered shameful for a single or divorced parent to raise their kid alone, although there are still people who think otherwise. There are also people who blame the woman if a couple can't get pregnant, even if it's not her fault, saying things like she might have acquired a disease because she slept with many men before (basically calling her a slut.)

As for grandparents' influence on the couple, in some cases if the future partner was poorer and they were going to live at the grandparents' house, they'd nag their kid until he/she changed her mind, they'd make the life of their son/daughter-in-law hell, or they'd try to turn their grandchildren against their father/mother. Nowadays grandparents don't meddle that much and people move out of their parents' home even before getting married, but due to the economic crisis, many are returning to live with their parents, along with their partner and children.

Edited by Ivy, 20 October 2014 - 12:12 AM.

Spoiler