Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

What happened to the sister?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Sennkestra

Sennkestra

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

We see her lying on the floor in the first couple chapters, but then we neither see nor hear anything from her until that one chapter where Ishida goes to pick up her kid - So what happened to her? And why does no one ever mention anything about it?

Edited by Sennkestra, 21 February 2014 - 02:24 AM.

SoraAki

SoraAki

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas!

Which sister?  Ishida's sister?

dragons06

dragons06

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

Which sister?  Ishida's sister?

yes ishidas sister

dusthillguy

dusthillguy

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

whoah, oh shit... Yeah, for some reason she doesn't have much of a presence. (PENIS) But she does appear after the chapter where Ishida goes to pick Maria up - she shows up in the chapter when Ishida has the cat purse thing that he got from Ueno. When Yuzuru and Ishida's mum tell him that they both want a cat purse too, his sister is there, and she also asks for one. But her face is hidden behind a speech balloon.

Here she is on the 5th panel of this page: http://vatoto.com/read/_/225210/koe-no-katachi_ch20--v3-_by_no-group/9

Here she is again, with her face hidden by the "What?" speech balloon. http://vatoto.com/read/_/225210/koe-no-katachi_ch20--v3-_by_no-group/10

I wonder why she's hidden like that.

Cake-kun

Cake-kun

Potato

• Contributor
  • 160 posts
  • LocationNot on your plate, hopefully

I think idea is that she's not important, but if we follow her (and her ex/husband's (Pedro)) story, few things happened to Nishida that probably impacted Nishida before his decision to ask for forgiveness.

of course, I guess we'll have to see how it got built into that first. Author DID cut out that whole part.

Yaomo

Yaomo

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,757 posts
  • Locationwathcing you from some place far away

maybe she'll play a role later. right now she works well for portraying how broken their home is. no father (or is there one?), the mother works herself to death, the sister married a gaijin but got divorced. nothing like what a good japanese family should be like.

あっ ちょっと死んじまった

tazonda94

tazonda94

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

something i just realized.. the older sister dated a brazilian guy(i think he was called pedro) and the younger sister is half brazilian. so did the mom come onto him or did he decide he wanted a older woman.

dragons06

dragons06

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

that young girl is ishidas niece not his younger sister.

Edited by dragons06, 11 March 2014 - 04:27 AM.

tazonda94

tazonda94

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts
In ch 12 around page 15. Ishida sez maria is his younger sister. Or was this a early scanlation that they fixed and changed to a neice?

dragons06

dragons06

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

Ishida says she is my sister's, not sister.

tazonda94

tazonda94

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

@dragons06

re-read it. yeah i screwed up. it did saw my sister's thanx for pointing that out.

dragons06

dragons06

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

@tazonda94 no problem bro, anytime.

antx

antx

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

This is how I entertain myself in seeing the personality of his sister.

That she is pretty much as fond of Shouya as his mother is, "Geez, he's even cute when he's mad." (chapter 1)

He even emulates his sister's principle of War Against Boredom, so they must've been rather close, though not shown explicitly in the story.

The way I see it, she pretty much dumps Genki right after he messes with her brother and Pedro's first words to Shouya was that he'll cover his ass, rather odd sounding unless you assume that it's his sister that put that edict to Pedro (and seeing how his niece has thick Brazilian blood, it's safe to say Pedro did a good job of keeping to the edict since she has more than 30+ relationships before him).

This type of personality seemed to cement itself in me when she trusts her brother to take care of her daughter and the cat pouch scene where everyone seemed to notice the feelings Shouya himself seems oblivious to (everyone grins, meaning his sister should've been doing the same too).

Nobody mentioning the sister might've just been the author's cue that he's isolating himself from everyone, including his family. This is a story from his POV after all.

storyshares

storyshares

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

I'm pretty sure that, opposite to what previous commenter said, Shouya's not that close with his sister. All she did while he was a schoolkid was sleeping and messing with random guys. They haven't had any real opportunity to communicate, because she was pretty busy with having fun. The reason she dumped Genki was probably the fact she met someone more interesting (Pedro). The fact he took her words about boredom so closely probably comes from the quality of those words, not because he specifically trusted her. He probably was just impressed by the very idea of that. Since it's Shouya's POV, it should represent that he doesn't fix his attention on her at all. Unlike his mom, she's not interesting for him and has her own life.

But even more I stick to the fact that she's just not an important person in the story, so Ooima decided not to depict her. Or maybe Ooima just hates her lol, and didn't want to give such a frivolous girl any design.

My own hypothesis I made for fun is that she just has some weird facial features - like a huge scar on her face coming from a drunken fight with some of her "boyfriends". And that Ooima is going to reveal it in last or pre-last chapter, shocking us all.

Edited by storyshares, 13 October 2014 - 11:33 AM.

tazonda94

tazonda94

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

***********************************SPOILERS***********************************************************************************

skimmed the raws of finale. sister is still with pedro and looks like shes expecting again.

Solidus

Solidus

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts

Don't think they ever broke up, she wasn't a main element of the story.  A theme perhaps was just accepting what life delivered to you.

MangaisGood

MangaisGood

Potato Spud

• Donator
  • 13 posts
  • LocationRivendell, literally, but I'm over LoTR

A bit late I know, but having read to Ch 20 and read comments above, regarding Shouyas older sister: possibly Ooima felt it best to play safe & start the story with as many characters as reasonable so they are there if needed later in the story.  Or, she is just being used as a symbol of the dysfunctional family, as has been suggested - I mean, she's a high schooler (wearing a uniform in first appearances) who's a trampoline. If Oomia gave her a face, the reader would feel some connection with her and that may be a distraction from the characters who count. A bit like all the faceless parents in other manga.

I feel for the mother! With kids like that, its a wonder she keeps her business afloat, what with community gossip...