Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.7 - 976votes)

Koe no Katachi

Alt Names: alt A Silent Voicealt 声之形alt รักไร้เสียงalt 聲の形alt 聲之形alt 목소리의 형태alt La forma de la vozalt Sesin Şeklialt The Shape of a Voicealt هيئة الصوتalt Wujud Sebuah Suaraalt Форма Голоса
Author: Ooima Yoshitoki
Artist: Ooima Yoshitoki
Genres: Award Winning Award WinningDrama DramaRomance RomanceSchool Life School LifeShounen Shounen
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Shouya Ishida, a boy always looking for ways to beat boredom, ends up looking for it in the wrong place. Weirded out by his new classmate, a deaf transfer student named Shouko Nishimiya, he deems her as the target of his ostracizing and bullying. Day after day, Shouya picks on Shouko, unaware of the effects of his thoughtless actions. He finally understands the pain he has inflicted on her when one day, his bullying culminates in her leaving the school, and his classmates begin to shun and harass him every chance they get instead. Determined to right his wrongs, five years later, Shouya, now a third year high school loner, meets Shouko again. Thus begins the story of a young man's path to redemption.
Go to Koe no Katachi Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Is this worth reading? New Window Kenshin-dono
  • 26 Replies
Topic The hearing aids; what's their point? New Window Joe-Kerr
  • 2 Replies
Topic Koe no Kitachi anime confirmed New Window KeK
  • 5 Replies
Topic What happened to the sister? New Window Sennkestra
  • 16 Replies
Topic Latest Chapter Discussion New Window Blue Flaming Wings
  • 72 Replies
Topic I am outraged at the father New Window Joe-Kerr
  • 2 Replies

2149 Comments

First: It was the parent's fault, because they sent her to a school that was not equipped or trained properly for handling deaf students.

Second: Those kids went overboard. Really overboard. And part of the reason lies below.

Third: The teachers either didn't see or turned a blind eye to the situation until it was too late to fix it. Now that's the final straw. Teachers are like the spiritual parents of the students and as such they must actively tell them what's right and wrong as well as why. They should stop them or even punish them when things go overboard. The consequences of not doing so are far worse.

Fourth: Schools should not just sit and watch just because cracking down on this before damage occurs would give rise to problems with the PTA or the media. (Which, I assume, was the main reason why the school didn't take action earlier.)

This manga would be beneficial for schools if they chose to include it in their regular curriculum. It really moves the heartstrings of people. The author's a genius!

I'm assuming you're American, but in Japanese schools (Asian schools in general, I hear Korean schools are like this as well) it's a lot tougher to get through school with a disability. It's a cultural thing, hopefully one that will be resolved in the future.

Not necessarily a serialization, but a sequel would be fine already.

First: It was the parent's fault, because they sent her to a school that was not equipped or trained properly for handling deaf students.

Second: Those kids went overboard. Really overboard. And part of the reason lies below.

Third: The teachers either didn't see or turned a blind eye to the situation until it was too late to fix it. Now that's the final straw. Teachers are like the spiritual parents of the students and as such they must actively tell them what's right and wrong as well as why. They should stop them or even punish them when things go overboard. The consequences of not doing so are far worse.

Fourth: Schools should not just sit and watch just because cracking down on this before damage occurs would give rise to problems with the PTA or the media. (Which, I assume, was the main reason why the school didn't take action earlier.)

This manga would be beneficial for schools if they chose to include it in their regular curriculum. It really moves the heartstrings of people. The author's a genius!

I hope those classmates and that homeroom teacher just fuck off and die. For a hundred, no, make it a thousand times.

I wanted to be more polite, but I couldn't. Sorry for using such rude words.

If this ever gets serialized, I´ll squeal like a fangirl and cry.

When're the new chapters coming out?
Heard it was serialized

Could the MC not even say sorry once? Too sweet ending for an @sshole.

From 5/5 to 1/5.
oneshot Y_Y
We bringt it in German!
This one-shot really shows the beauty and the evil human could possess. awesomely done!!

p.s.
more than anything I hate the homeroom teacher. guh he's sooooo disgusting!!!.
This was an amazing read. It's very refreshing to see a manga that tackles issues like this and reveals the different sides of human nature. Love it.
Great read. Cant wait for more.
I really love this romance story. I hope she is able to serialize this story and a pubisher approve it.

The artwork isn't very good, but the story is awesome.
Really great read.
@yum's nai
K
uddos for mentioning the best manga ever!
I want this to be in a full series. Its a strongly recommended manga.
Sweet and lovely story, very moving. An interesting combination of bullying and disabilities with a well deserved ending.

@Shonariel Wilson

I understand what you're saying, I was bullied too, and it's always mortifying and enraging but when you look it back from a different perspective, you can always spot that the ones doing the bullying are the ones that are crying for help. Sometimes they're like little kids trying to get attention by misbehaving.

@CatPause

I'ts difficult to explain but I have one member of my family dealing with hearing problems (not total deafness, but with quite the problems to hear well). Although she doesn't use hearing aids, it's quite hard to get her attention when you're trying to speak with her or sometimes she can't listen to you very clearly so you have to talk slower or louder. It can make you angry because if you don't try to fit in her shoes it looks like is isn't try to listen to you. but when you do, you can grasp how difficult is for her, and how easy is for her to enter in her own world because she listens a few things or none.
A Master piece Q~Q this is what I need Q~Q

I'm sooooooo waiting for this >_<
This is so good!! :D I love it :D
this manga should have at least 3k followers
This felt...really intense(for me anyway)..I honestly don't know what to say. I'v been bullied for being quiet a lot when i was in elementary. All I did was take in these mean things that people say about me,and just not do anything about it.(which is why I was happy as hell when I finally graduated) A lot of other stuff happened but i'm not gonna bring them up. But looking back, and also seeing stuff like this happen to other people, except 10 times worse, just gets me so, so very angry! I can relate on some level.Though, I'm really happy with the outcome of this oneshot! the ending was really cute! ><
This deserves to be animated
my eyes, they wont stop....

ok, from analytic sense, theres still a lot of cliches in here like bullying and disabilities, but its simply well executed. A lot of great mangas use cliches, but make up for it with better characterization and script (like lucifer and the biscuit hammer :3). Just want to note that since truly original plots are hard to come by and i like to see that from award winners. Still, doesnt stop me from blubbering my eyes out
I wish there was more this was fantastic ;-;
This is really sad and beautiful.
I heard this finally getting serialized? Anyone can confirm this?

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics