Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.7 - 387votes)

Ran to Haiiro no Sekai

Alt Names: alt 小亂之魔法家族alt 乱と灰色の世界alt Ran and the Ashen Worldalt Ran and the Gray Worldalt Ran and the Grey Worldalt Ran ve Gri Dünyaalt Rans magiska värld
Author: Irie Aki
Artist: Irie Aki
Genres: Comedy ComedyFantasy FantasyRomance RomanceSeinen SeinenSlice of Life Slice of LifeSupernatural Supernatural
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Meet the Urumas, a slightly dysfunctional family of four sorcerers. Mom, being the most powerful sorceress around, works away from home keeping the world safe. Dad picks up the slack and takes care of the family. Except when he's out, which is when the older brother Jin finds himself in the unenviable position of keeping tabs on his sister Ran. And Ran, the youngest, is a willful girl with too much power and too little wisdom. Let's take a look at Ran's everyday misadventures, shall we?
Go to Ran to Haiiro no Sekai Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic A defense of the creeper New Window granolabar
  • 3 Replies
Topic Outarou & Ran, Pedophilic ass and ignorant little girl New Window truepurple
  • 44 Replies
Topic Latest Ch. Discussion New Window kulekrizpy
  • 3 Replies
Topic Application of the term loli New Window truepurple
  • 13 Replies

425 Comments

awww~ that was such a sweet chapter. Hibi sure is something *-*

Anyways, I really dont understand all this repulsive feeling toward Outarou... Every manga needs its bad guys... And how many of you has read a story about some terribly bad characters who turned out to be a bit nice and became even a good person after some changes in their life? 

Outarou seems like the usual playboy and the rich kid who thinks he can do anything that pleases him... I'm not defending nor accusing him, I really think he's the kind of character that needs understanding and I sure hope he won't go under the pressure of the evil bugs. In my opinion he just needs someone like Ran to change what's bad in him.  Because I think that even though he does such nasty things sometimes on the other hand he ends up doing nice things as well. He's eccentric, arrogant and has no limits. But he weirdly copes with Ran's personality and crazy moments (along with her family, or so it seems to me). Also... Rape?! Wah, how can people see it like that? It was clearly all in his dream for him and that's why he thought it would be alright to do as he pleases... On the other hand, he didnt do anything like that "outside his dreams". He does make things to tease Ran and the others (especially Jin) but we all know that there are people who have nasty personalities like his... Also, even though he's got that many women I dont think they were unwittingly going out with him. 

Well, of course this is all just my humble opinion and I respect the ones that really hate the rich guy =D I love all the characters in this awesome manga, they're all well worked on!

By the way, I'm sorry for the bad english, for it's not my native language :/

so rooting for hibi!

To add to Purple Library Guy's observation, it should be understood that the magical beings in this series clearly see themselves as distinct and separate from, not to mention unquestionably superior to, humanity. In that, the Uruma family are actually the nicest of the bunch because they are willing to live amongst humans and abide by human rules. Or at least Zen does and Jin is trying to. That said, while Zen and Jin at least respect humans and try to keep them safe, even they draw the line at actually mingling with humans. Jin has no friends despite being the most popular guy at school, and Zen is basically a stay-at-home dad. Ran is also a very privileged child even in the magical demesnes, because her father is a Lord and her mother a Lady there. Perhaps the reason the Urumas raise Jin and Ran in the human world is to keep them from being horribly spoiled by the trappings of their nobility.

Ran's behavior is a direct result of the conflict between the general attitude of her race and the ways of a human society that she tries to participate in. Most of the crows would have considered the very idea of befriending humans disdainful, but Ran actually does want to have human friends. This is why she doesn't see Outarou - the quintessential corrupted adult - as anything but his original, innocent, childish self. In fact, Outarou is clearly just a spoilt kid in an adult's body, as his butler knows. This is in direct contrast to Hibi, who's a very mature kid despite his occasional emotional outbursts. In Hibi's case Ran perceives him as someone who resembles her brother a lot, which is why she's afraid of him most of the time. Ran's interactions with them just reflect the way she perceives the underlying truth of the world, because she is after all still a magical being - an immature, innocent one at that. 

Also, given the sheer amount of reality-altering powers Ran wields, she must be given credit for not using it to her advantage, consciously or otherwise. If she'd had even a bit of Suzumiya Haruhi's personality, her world would have become a very weird place to live in by now (well, ok, it already is, but not to the general Joe Public on the streets).

The world is full of masochists, deal with it.

No. Masochism is a sexual matter this is just plain old stupidity, i'm glad that bug guy is the villain i'm going to have a blast seeing people spin things in favor of him. "He raped me, but he can't help it!".

Pathetic.

Hmm. My comments didn't get through. Anyway, this series has been in my back burner for months and I just started reading it a moment ago. All I have to say is that this manga is simply AMAZING.

To everyone else who got this in the back burner, START READING THIS. The cover might throw you off, but the art is not terrible, it's GREAT.

People here are actually DEFENDING bug guy!?

It's not like everyone thinks he is actually good, but being "bad" makes him much more interesting than a saint. Flawless characters are inhuman characters, because humans aren't perfect, so you can't really relate or try to understand them.

And it's kinda silly to turn it into a sexist matter, because there is a lot of "bad" girls that are liked by males even if they are abusive girls.

The world is full of masochists, deal with it.

People here are actually DEFENDING bug guy!?

Wow, i'm think i'm gonna be sick.

So it's alright for him to do whatever he want, including forcibly sexually harass someone or injure a ten year old boy because he's "hot"!?

No shit all that misogyny runs rampart out there, if you are a "hot" guy you can get away with anything. Welp glad to know anyway.

This series is awesome. Cute, and the Echhi, mixed into one, with a hint of Darkness. It feels like a Ghibli World gone wrong.

LOL Ran got trolled by sensei.

Outaro has literally no redeeming qualities to him.

I don't like Outarou myself, but the whole point of his character is that of a corrupted adult being slowly changed by Ran. He's selfish and at first he approached Ran just like he did with his other women, that is just to use her as he pleases. But more than physical appearance he's now being captivated by Ran's character and supernatural features, lead him to look like Ran's puppy, as stated by the bald guy in the shop. Notwithstanding appearances the one leading their relationship is Ran, not Outarou as he usually does with other women. The fact that Outarou went to Ran's mother to talk about marriage is proof enough of Outarou's change (and i doubt he wasn't serious, even if he doesn't know about Ran's mother powers he understands he shouldn't screw with her).

And when he almost tried to rape her it was in a dream, he knew it was a dream so he felt entitled to do whatever he wanted (you can say it's creepy but it's just human, I guess almost any heterosexual guy would do the same in such a situation, knowing that it is just a dream). The drawback was that he didn't know Ran's consciousness was in his dream due to her magic, so he made her mad. That said he had many other chances of raping her in the real world if he wanted to, but he didn't. He might be forceful but he isn't a criminal (he's technically a pedo, but he still doesn't know Ran's real age, so you can't blame him).

Fight Makotooo! :'D (Somehow I pity him)

Outaro haters still have hope, I think. Tamao will not give Ran easily. 

Hm. Now I'm shipping Outaro/Tamao; they seem like they would get along. They could bond by teaming up to do nasty things to people ;)

Xfraze:  You started at the wrong place; you should read from the beginning to dig it.  Ch 18 alone will leave you with an odd impression. 

Here's the thing:  She's ten.  And she's been brought up in a household with privilege and parents who show vague love but also a good deal of benign neglect.  And she can do for real all the things a ten year old daydreams about and plays at in the back yard.  And when she gets upset, as a ten year old will, her emotions have big impacts because of her raw instinctive elemental power. 

The results are overall better than anyone has a right to expect, really.  It's not like she's deliberately setting everything on fire, and considering her situation she's if anything rather less spoilt than you'd expect.  Sure, she's kind of self-centred in that naive ten-year-old way that doesn't really think about other people very much, but she's never malicious and when she does think about others she's on average benevolent.  A bit like Yotsuba with magic power, only not as extreme (luckily.  Yotsuba with magic power would be kind of terrifying).

One might argue that basically, the problem here is that her parents are pretty irresponsible as parents, and faced with such a magically powerful offspring should be giving her a lot more "with great power comes great responsibility" discipline.  But even that misses the point rather--the nature of magic here is mythic; she doesn't actually cause disaster because it's not in her nature to do so, so it won't happen.  She is in tune with the cosmos.  Fires she starts accidentally just aren't going to kill people because that's how it is, and her parents know that because they're not just powerful mechanistic wizards, they are powerful mythical figures.  So it's OK for her to follow her nature rather than going hyperdisciplined to control her power, even though it seems like it shouldn't be.

I don't really like Outaro. He can be forgiven for not knowing Ran's 10 years old, but even with that his actions're unacceptable. He's far too forceful, to the point where I'd fear rape if someone was to treat me that way. I mean, seriously, he forces her into a kiss even after she ran off when he forcibly stripped her in a previous chapter. I'll repeat that: he forcibly stripped her against her will with intent to have sex. He's manipulative and possessive. Overall, he'd be a nightmare boyfriend.

I guess there's a certain romance convention here or something, but there's a reason I don't read stuff that follow that convention.

I have only read chapter 18 of this manga. I hate Ran. I don't know why, but I think she is terrible and hope she receives an extremely rude awakening. It might be because I can't identify with her. I will agree that she is innocent, innocent to the point it is borderline if not outright malice.
Spoilers for Ch 17:
Spoiler

This manga is freakin' hilarious, lol.  It must be totally awkward for guys to see Outarou coming on to Ran repeatedly knowing that she's just 10 years old.  Well, but I'm a guy myself, of course.  Nonetheless, you pretty much just have to roll with it 'cause this series simply oozes of the kind of smut you see written for women.

Ahh, though of course this series is pretty thorough about its setting.  I wonder where its ultimately going.  The romantic theme has been great so far but I wonder if that's all there is to the story.

To be honest, about who Ran will be with, I discard my expectation ;w; The whole story is just great (a bit random too) and make me curious!! Many thanks to Futari Anon who continue this project!!

so, I guess we'll have many sweet surprises :D

How could Jin just leave Ran like that?? Outaro just tried to kiss his TEN YEAR OLD sister in front of him and he leaves because she gave him a little cheek??!  Sure, she's chock full of magic and whatnot, but she's just naive/clueless enough not to know she's in any danger until it's too late. Jin, I am disappoint. :/

What kind of dumb ass purposely offends the brother of the girl they want to marry? Especially, a brother in an Asian family where siblings are close. Now this family have a beast of a brother with a short fuse when it comes to his sister. Can't wait for that idiot's funneral. Haha.

Jin, you know what do to man, beat Outarou up until he can no longer walks. Everything will be solved with just that.

Looks like Outaro have a lot of antifans XD The latest chapter make me respect him, though. Wonder what will happen to him when he found out Ran is TEN not some high school teen...

To be honest, about who Ran will be with, I discard my expectation ;w; The whole story is just great (a bit random too) and make me curious!! Many thanks to Futari Anon who continue this project!!

Outaro has literally no redeeming qualities to him. His a spoiled, stuck up, entitled brat that lacks tact. The freaking wasp should have just killed him off and be done with it. He goes way too far, even knowing that Ran (and Sango) are minors. Appropriateness escapes him. He's like an adult Domyouji from Hana yori Dango (who I also hated as a character).

I feel like I need to take a shower every time I read a chapter with Outaro in it.

Somehow Outaro and his storys are by far the worst in this story.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics