Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles

New manga site like bato.to

• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

Floating Sunfish

Floating Sunfish

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 14 posts
  • LocationPhilippines
I also wish to know what the "next Batoto" is going to be, as I love the community here and would love to upload new scanlations to where old Batoto residents are going.

This was honestly the best site for us scanlators, and whoever is going to step up has some big shoes to fill.

Edited by Floating Sunfish, 13 January 2018 - 01:41 AM.

gruevy

gruevy

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

I read everything on either the scanlator site, bato.to, or www.readmng.com. I usually start with that last one. They have a few series that they release themselves, too.

SushiAddiction

SushiAddiction

Potato

• Members
  • 111 posts

I read everything on either the scanlator site, bato.to, or www.readmng.com. I usually start with that last one. They have a few series that they release themselves, too.

Infomercial?

Maybe they have a few scanlators but I don't see any entry for them in series page.

batoto needs to rsync db, delete private stuff locally and rsync to new server. Random write drive on old server a few times for security and we'd have a new site. I expect that's what is happening. Not sure about the code for the site though.

Hopefully someone is competent is up to it.

Edited by SushiAddiction, 13 January 2018 - 05:26 AM.

Can't get enough Isekai? Check out the Isekai list for every manga on batoto. Follow for updates.

Namorax

Namorax

Fingerling Potato

• Validating
  • 62 posts

Infomercial?

Maybe they have a few scanlators but I don't see any entry for them in series page.

batoto needs to rsync db, delete private stuff locally and rsync to new server. Random write drive on old server a few times for security and we'd have a new site. I expect that's what is happening. Not sure about the code for the site though.

Hopefully someone is competent is up to it.

Yeah, I hope that's what is currently happening....

I understand that the old Userdatabase should be kept safe forever, and I wouldn't mind registering again on the new bato.to (or whatever it's name is gooing to be.

SushiAddiction

SushiAddiction

Potato

• Members
  • 111 posts

I was hoping to get a conformation "stuff you" from "Hopefully someone is competent is up to it."

stupid kissmanga keeps giving me "Banned - please try to disable VPN." on some servers. I've got over 800 to choose from and most of them work :D

I get they don't want scrapers, even though they scrape batoto. Still, annoying for VPN users.

The more I've looked, the more I'm certain. Mangaupdates with grease/tampermonkey scripts is the only way to go without a scanlator friendly site like batoto.

Can't get enough Isekai? Check out the Isekai list for every manga on batoto. Follow for updates.

xRei

xRei

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

hopefully the next batoto can take things a step further and forward profits not only to the scanlators but to the copyright holders themselves and that it would hopefully be enough to ease off dmca takedowns, though i guess the legal complexities and that many japanese publishers just not giving any sh*--care to non-japanese people, would be off putting to go through the trouble.

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

hopefully the next batoto can take things a step further and forward profits not only to the scanlators but to the copyright holders themselves and that it would hopefully be enough to ease off dmca takedowns, though i guess the legal complexities and that many japanese publishers just not giving any sh*--care to non-japanese people, would be off putting to go through the trouble.

Even if they were so inclined (which they by and large wouldn't be), a copyright holder could never accept such monies because in so doing they'd be opening themselves to the legal argument that they had implicitly contracted out use of the material.

Maybe you could get away with it for some webtoons where the author still holds the copyright, but a publishing house will at best ignore you and at worst hit you with something much worse than a DMCA (because at that point you've proved you're knowingly making money off of copyrighted material. I think you can get in actual trouble at that point).

So yeah, "legal complexities" indeed. It's basically a non-starter, even if you could find a copyright holder who wouldn't balk at the prospect on it's merits.

Edited by pokari, 13 January 2018 - 07:48 PM.

NekoPawtato

NekoPawtato

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 47 posts

I found a site recently called moon bunny cafe. The downside is they dont have as large variety of comics (looks like they do have novels though), but it seems like they respect scanlator wishes, as they must have permission from the group themselves.

It also sounds like from their FAQ that the scanlators have access to the reader and can directly upload stuff, so no loss in quality in that case

Not sure if they have some sort of follows system though

Le Dook

Le Dook

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

I know I'm certainly not one to talk, having no coding experience and so on. But literally everyone keeps saying that they are hoping for a replacement to appear, yet no one is actually taking action. Which such a huge community here, with some  cooperation and planning we could easily pull this off. I'm no professional coder or artist, my skills wouldn't be of much use but collectively we can all work together right? What's holding us back?

blackpinkx0x0

blackpinkx0x0

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

usually other than batoto i use kissmanga almost like batoto but they mostly dislike by scanlator... and i don't see ad but some people say otherwise so it really depend on you guy..

the other that i noticed

http://www2.mymangalist.org/-direct download

https://mangarock.com/minimum ad - allpage view

delete

delete

Potato Sprout

• Validating
  • 7 posts

Hm, it seems that forum will survive as vatoto :D Thats at least something but...no more manga reader, comment section etc. :( 

aviar

aviar

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 64 posts

I know I'm certainly not one to talk, having no coding experience and so on. But literally everyone keeps saying that they are hoping for a replacement to appear, yet no one is actually taking action. Which such a huge community here, with some  cooperation and planning we could easily pull this off. I'm no professional coder or artist, my skills wouldn't be of much use but collectively we can all work together right? What's holding us back?

Same thing that holds people back from most thing, technical complexity, time costs, etc. So far the only thing I have seen in terms of someone actively working on providing some sort of alternative program wise is https://github.com/NyaaPantsu/manga and a person on Batoto Discord.

Edited by aviar, 13 January 2018 - 11:59 PM.

I have come to warn you of the things beyond the wall and the men behind the machines.

Dmac212

Dmac212

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
When I saw that Batoto was shutting down, I cried inside. In my opinion, Batoto is THE best site to read manga. Nothing comes close. There's so many ways to find something new. I NEVER had to worry about obnoxiously​ intrusive pop-ups. It was super easy to glance at the artwork and the summary, without going from page to page. I don't trust other sites. It feels like my favorite family member was diagnosed with a terminal illness.

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

I know I'm certainly not one to talk, having no coding experience and so on. But literally everyone keeps saying that they are hoping for a replacement to appear, yet no one is actually taking action. Which such a huge community here, with some cooperation and planning we could easily pull this off. I'm no professional coder or artist, my skills wouldn't be of much use but collectively we can all work together right? What's holding us back?

Ehh... I'm not a database guy, but to some extent, I suspect the problem is that anyone who knows how to do this realizes what a massive headache it will be. Batoto started out as something much less ambitious than what it became, it's worth noting.

In terms of how massive the data is to be stored and served, I honestly don't know of many sites not run by companies that are the size of Batoto.

As for why the few efforts that do exist aren't working together, I don't know. Different ideologies at some level, probably?

When I saw that Batoto was shutting down, I cried inside [...] It feels like my favorite family member was diagnosed with a terminal illness.

For me it felt more like hearing my home town was going to be suddenly demolished. Intellectually I knew there's always some people hit hard when a community site goes down, but I don't think I've personally found myself going through the stages of grief at a website's closure before. This past week-and-a-bit has had an awful bit of crying for me.

Edited by pokari, 14 January 2018 - 12:55 AM.

aviar

aviar

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 64 posts

As for why the few efforts that do exist aren't working together, I don't know. Different ideologies at some level, probably?

I think they don't even know the other exists.

I have come to warn you of the things beyond the wall and the men behind the machines.

SacomaineAnimemangadad

SacomaineAnimemangadad

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSaco, Me

I use the Mangarock app on my tablet. you have to download it from the internet not through play stores. And the website isn't too bad. But sadly theres nothing thats going to be like Bato. Oh here the link to download if you use tablet or phone..

https://mangarock.com/definitive. 

SushiAddiction

SushiAddiction

Potato

• Members
  • 111 posts

Ehh... I'm not a database guy, but to some extent, I suspect the problem is that anyone who knows how to do this realizes what a massive headache it will be. Batoto started out as something much less ambitious than what it became, it's worth noting.

In terms of how massive the data is to be stored and served, I honestly don't know of many sites not run by companies that are the size of Batoto.

That first part, the db does sound scary. Like it's that bad the only way to save it with a regex master to frankenstein it.

I thought about the size of all the images together before. Very large.

ouch. Still wait and see

madmccoy

madmccoy

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

... What's holding us back?

The technical portions of a replicating bato.to are within the skillset of many developers, I like to think (I have several years experience, so I might be overestimating skill levels here). The bigger problems are nontechnical:

- DMCA form letters

- Cease and Desist orders from lawyers.

- The occasional lawsuit.

- Having to sort through server hosts to find one who won't fold at the first whiff of a legal problem.

Beyond those, you've got smaller but still niggling issues:

- Can you convince enough trustworthy people to be moderators?

- What happens if a moderator goes rogue? 

- Who has access to what? Why?

- Will anyone even use it?

I ran a website with user generated content for several years, and the number of spurious letters from law firms that showed up (literally showed up, in physical mail form) was amazing. Just because they're wrong, or the content being used is covered under fair use, doesn't mean you just ignore them. A good chunk of them have arbitrary deadlines; they'll even CC the legal department of your server provider the same half-assed printed-then-digitally-scanned letter in an effort to get them to immediately take your site down. And, depending on your provider, they will. Or maybe they won't. Or maybe they won't,for a while, until they get annoyed and are tired of dealing with your account.

You can automate a lot of things, but dealing with humans is still a manual process.

Edited by madmccoy, 14 January 2018 - 03:57 AM.

Nezperdian

Nezperdian

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationArgentina

I wonder what would happen if the new batwotwo is hosted in New Zealand. Like the incident with Kim Dotcom.

JUNKMECHA

JUNKMECHA

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

I use the Mangarock app on my tablet. you have to download it from the internet not through play stores. And the website isn't too bad. But sadly theres nothing thats going to be like Bato. Oh here the link to download if you use tablet or phone..

https://mangarock.com/definitive.

Popping in to say this is where I moved my favorites list to as well. It feels like a scraper site but it works okay. Only problem with the app is it has some really awful beeper ads, but turning the volume for the app off removed that issue. Works okay from what I can tell, though it's no Bato.to.

Edited by JUNKMECHA, 14 January 2018 - 07:05 AM.