Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

[OOC] Hexscape: A World of Darkness

WoD Ars Magica Magiiiiiiiic

• Please log in to reply
1368 replies to this topic

KDPtheKing

KDPtheKing

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 67 posts
Bonisagus magic is just pure magic stuff? Do they dabble in other school? Or do I just go pew pew? Or what?
Spoiler

Ilyse

Ilyse

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 87 posts

A little bit. Essentially, they can transmute things on the fly if they need to, but it's better if they prepare something beforehand. Could you give me some examples as to the kind of things I might do for lab work and how they would affect my battlefield capabilities?

Lab work would be the mixing of chemicals or the development of tools to help make brews on the spot.

These brews could have w/e effects you want for them. Sometimes, you can throw a flask and create a wall once the liquid splashes on the earth. Maybe turn it into an explosive. Tools can be used to make these stuff on the spot in a fashion similar to FMA, although that's higher tier shit. As of now, you're probably limited to stocking up for now.

Of if you're particularly talented and skilled, you can make drinkable chemicals and become the god of magic or something. 

Bonisagus magic is just pure magic stuff? Do they dabble in other school? Or do I just go pew pew? Or what?

They do not dabble in other schools. Rather, they focus on items of powers because that was the original magic that Bonisagus based his Hermetic theory on.

These items of powers are basically "spell books". You can load w/e magic you want into them, but they have a limit, and while you can "rewrite" these magics and replace them with new ones, you're still limited to w/e spells you have.

Which is sadly, two.

qnJ4kqN.jpg

nKFtmmv.jpg

"Shurima, your emperor has returned."

Nualie

Nualie

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,057 posts
  • LocationSomewhere I can daydream in peace, hopefully.

Ah! I figured. But no, I didn't have the webtoon in mind when I named him. Maruts are minor storm dieties in Indian mythos and one of the 27 also goes by the their moniker. Marut or Maruti is one of the 100 names of Hanuman the "Monkey Sage" and the lord of Strength.

Interestingly, in a minor anecdote concerning the 'Ramayana', only when Hanuman realises his true name does he unleash the power hidden in him. That name is 'Marut'

Finally, in Islam. Harut and Marut were two angels sent by god as adjudicators for human actions and actions of people influenced by Shaitan and Djinns. Marut among them was known to use a specific strength and vitality enhancing magic and with divine strength could strike down foes.

So you see, my choice was more rooted in his backstory than anything else.  :D

Okay... Just sayin, Hanuman is also a character of Kubera. She's one of the main char's grandma (though he's unaware), and a natsika leader of a sura clan. 

My char will be up this evening, if nothing happens.

Some stuff I made: All's here!

My profile on fanfiction.net is here.

Check Kubera out if you don't know it!

Because it's fun to see Leez dying inside and outside all over the place it's a story of romance, psychology and humor. And horror. A little. 

ANIMA

ANIMA

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationAbsurdistan
Spoiler

What I originally planned didn't make much sense to me when I began writing bio so I changed some things. Hope that isn't a problem? :D

Edited by ANIMA, 19 January 2015 - 03:21 PM.

jhdesg.gif

KDPtheKing

KDPtheKing

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 67 posts
Added some more info to the other section, just so I do not get a wrong picture painted of my character based on stereo types and his Bio.

Spoiler

Edited by KDPtheKing, 19 January 2015 - 06:10 PM.

Spoiler

Diabolical Rhapsody

Diabolical Rhapsody

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 642 posts
  • Locationin Oblivion, checking out the tapestry.

Okay... Just sayin, Hanuman is also a character of Kubera. She's one of the main char's grandma (though he's unaware), and a natsika leader of a sura clan. 

My char will be up this evening, if nothing happens.

Yeah I know, whatever be her depiction in the webtoon, Hanuman is considered to be the god that bachelors and those seeking strength pray to. He also has a similar character design to the one in the webtoon but is far more stocky being a male.

If I read things right then in the webtoon she is the grandmother of Ran and Lutz Sairofe. That is pretty rad stuff.

@Anima: Seeing the way you have taken with Quaesitor, it is like the Monkey and the Moon. xD Loved the bio.

giphy.gif

If you have the time: 

Spoiler

Chizzy

Chizzy

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 43 posts

@Chizzy

Looks like Big Bro is in the arena. Accepted!

Sister-Complex Kingpin of Steel ^^

ANIMA

ANIMA

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationAbsurdistan

I edited the location of tattoos in. 

@DR: I don't understand that comparison :o 

jhdesg.gif

Diabolical Rhapsody

Diabolical Rhapsody

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 642 posts
  • Locationin Oblivion, checking out the tapestry.

@DR: I don't understand that comparison :o

I was talking about the different paths we took even being of the same house.

Reading your bio made me hope that I had written one like that. xD It was a compliment :P

giphy.gif

If you have the time: 

Spoiler

I-Am-X

I-Am-X

Mashed Potato

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  • LocationThe Capital

@Anima

Pretty much. You don't necessarily have to be nobility, but the quality of education is generally higher anyways, so I recommend going that path if you want to be aware.

So as long as we mention them being taught in magic or being taught about its existence/applications or whatever, we can be aware without actually being nobility? How detailed would it be needed to be aware when not nobility?

Also, for the Merinita house, you put their body is basically their magic, would they be born with markings or whatever their bodies or it's just something taught?

tumblr_njivsvv03O1s9nzk7o3_500.gif

The Epic Of X:

Spoiler

KDPtheKing

KDPtheKing

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 67 posts
i was
Not clear on my questions.

I was asking what spells could
I pull off with my items?

can i cast a fireball spell because I enscribed it on my items? What kind of magic can be casted from these magic items. That is what I am asking. Can I summin zombies? Can I aummon swords from nowhere? Can I call forth flames of hell?

I just don't want to cast a magic and it be out of bounds
Spoiler

Ilyse

Ilyse

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 87 posts

So as long as we mention them being taught in magic or being taught about its existence/applications or whatever, we can be aware without actually being nobility? How detailed would it be needed to be aware when not nobility?

Also, for the Merinita house, you put their body is basically their magic, would they be born with markings or whatever their bodies or it's just something taught?

Well, if you want to say "oh, my character knows his/her magic!" then you might as well be unaware. It comes down to two points:

1. A magical education is incredibly expensive. A wandering mage without all the equipment couldn't possibly just teach you even the most basic things. Yes, he/she could push you forward into "thinking and seeing", which is the very foundation of magic in this universe (since perception precedes the actual creation of magic).

2. If you wanted to say that some noble decided to teach you, that would also be unlikely, because mages are assholes and care little for untouched "materials" that are not a part of the immediate family.

And with that house, it's kinda like your body is conditioning itself to become a vampire/werewolf/wraith. It's not really born or anything, but mages of the Merinita house are always born with physical/mental fortitude surpassing that of most humans and the average mage. It's this that allows them to be conditioned into one of the three "evolved" humans.

i was
Not clear on my questions.

I was asking what spells could
I pull off with my items?

can i cast a fireball spell because I enscribed it on my items? What kind of magic can be casted from these magic items. That is what I am asking. Can I summin zombies? Can I aummon swords from nowhere? Can I call forth flames of hell?

I just don't want to cast a magic and it be out of bounds

Yes, you can cast a fireball. You're limited to the Hermetic magic though, since that's what the science of Bonisagus revolves around. You wouldn't be able to do either transformation magic due to a lack of natural aspects unique to those Houses (Bonisagus couldn't shape shift or turn into a vampire, but he welcomed those two houses because he could learn from them). 

And for those specific examples, necromancy and absolute creation are not parts of the Hermetic theory, so no, you wouldn't be able to raise bodies from the grave or create swords out of nothing.

You could call out flames from hell though, but that's a while down the road. Everyone is basically a rookie, whether you like it or not, so the scale of your magic is going to reflect that.

@Anima

You're accepted!

qnJ4kqN.jpg

nKFtmmv.jpg

I-Am-X

I-Am-X

Mashed Potato

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  • LocationThe Capital

Well, if you want to say "oh, my character knows his/her magic!" then you might as well be unaware. It comes down to two points:

1. A magical education is incredibly expensive. A wandering mage without all the equipment couldn't possibly just teach you even the most basic things. Yes, he/she could push you forward into "thinking and seeing", which is the very foundation of magic in this universe (since perception precedes the actual creation of magic).

2. If you wanted to say that some noble decided to teach you, that would also be unlikely, because mages are assholes and care little for untouched "materials" that are not a part of the immediate family.

And with that house, it's kinda like your body is conditioning itself to become a vampire/werewolf/wraith. It's not really born or anything, but mages of the Merinita house are always born with physical/mental fortitude surpassing that of most humans and the average mage. It's this that allows them to be conditioned into one of the three "evolved" humans.

I see, then unaware it is. Just was curious and wanted to get a clear picture. I was originally thinking of being a descendant or whatever of the founder via my characters mothers side but that'd be too much work.

When we make our CS, for those of the Merinita house, do we add in their (next to house) which of the three we'd like to turn into when the time comes or not yet?

The Epic Of X:

Spoiler

Ilyse

Ilyse

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 87 posts

Yes, I'd like that you add that in. 

The three transformations are now basically separate sects in the family.

qnJ4kqN.jpg

nKFtmmv.jpg

Nualie

Nualie

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,057 posts
  • LocationSomewhere I can daydream in peace, hopefully.

Yes, I'd like that you add that in. 

The three transformations are now basically separate sects in the family.

Sects..? It's that bad?

*Returns working on her own*

Some stuff I made: All's here!

My profile on fanfiction.net is here.

Check Kubera out if you don't know it!

Because it's fun to see Leez dying inside and outside all over the place it's a story of romance, psychology and humor. And horror. A little. 

I-Am-X

I-Am-X

Mashed Potato

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  • LocationThe Capital

Sects..? It's that bad?

Not really?

It's like the church or any other big group where they have all sorts of groups or factions within them.

Just that one side of the family would be the vampire turned ones (one I plan on taking), another werewolves and the other wraiths. Just a family split into 3.

Edited by I-Am-X, 19 January 2015 - 06:43 PM.

The Epic Of X:

Spoiler

ANIMA

ANIMA

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationAbsurdistan

Sects..? It's that bad?

3 family branches, if "sect" sounds menacing. 

@Britza: Oh yiss!

jhdesg.gif

KDPtheKing

KDPtheKing

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 67 posts
I can't wait to interact with all of you.
Spoiler

I-Am-X

I-Am-X

Mashed Potato

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  • LocationThe Capital

Read da pm(s) if not already kdp.

Added more to it, need your thoughts.

The Epic Of X:

Spoiler

Wasted

Wasted

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 18 posts

So I've wanted to make a lawyer/demon summoner character to exploit contracts in something for a while now and this seemed like a good opportunity. Especially seeing as the particular house involved has a head office in my home country.

Spoiler

tumblr_n2g8sylq3B1r1phbfo1_500.png