Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Official Naver Webtoon translation LINE

Naver Webtoon Official service

• Please log in to reply
421 replies to this topic

Kaiein

Kaiein

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationPhysically? Kansas Mentally? Too many places to recall at the moment.

I've always wanted to buy Kubera and a couple other series no matter if they were in Korean; I love the stories that much...

Now there's the possibility of them coming out in English? HELL YEAH, THAT MAKES IT EVEN BETTER!

@Kreiri, That would be really nice. Except for the fact that they'd have to learn how to pay The Company...and etc. But yes, I do wish that they get a decent translator (after all, some words are tricky to translate the full meaning of depth) and a good typesetter. I don't even mind if they leave the sound effects alone - I certainly don't know how to remove them...

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

I saw the Japanese version, and they not only have the SFX replaced, but the bubbles changed to vertical shape as well. I think the typesetters get the original documents, so they can easily edit the text, SFX and bubble layers.

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,
Official English Webtoons: https://www.webtoons.com

Marim

Marim

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 373 posts

YAY!!!!

I love The Company's translations so much, hope Naver won't disappoint me in translation quality  >_>

ApostBlack

ApostBlack

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 70 posts

I'm concerned about quality, too. What I've seen of ToG official translation is... awful, to put it mildly. From text to typesetting. I wish Naver hired The Company to do the transaltions :)

1. Is there any way that The Company can apply for this job? Or even just their translator?

2. Would The Company really be interested in such a job?

I hope the answer is 'yes' to both of the above questions... Please thcmpny, we need you!

BehindTheLighT

BehindTheLighT

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,847 posts
  • LocationItaly

I doubt very much they would hire illegal scanlators...

I'm italian, so please excuse me if my english is not very good, feel free to correct me.

Kubera ITA

ApostBlack

ApostBlack

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 70 posts

Why would you say that? They're not doing anything illegal. And even if they were, what does that have to do with that job? Naver's not a kid to have a grudge on them...

I'm starting to sound weird to myself though, since I'm talking about a possibility I have nothing to do with. I'll stop here and hope for the best...

Boggyb

Boggyb

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 891 posts

They're not doing anything illegal.

I know next to nothing about Korean law, but what they are doing wouldn't fall under "fair use" in U.S. law which means, yes, they are violating civil law as is everyone who is a party to it.

The reason nothing is usually done about it is the same as why people illegally translate and edit in the first place: Korean and Japanese publishers are generally dismissive of the foreign markets. They generally act when they think that domestic sales are impacted by them, and since there isn't a cost to read webtoons, there would be little reason for any Korean to read it in English. 

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 3,395 posts

Why would you say that? They're not doing anything illegal. And even if they were, what does that have to do with that job? Naver's not a kid to have a grudge on them...

I'm starting to sound weird to myself though, since I'm talking about a possibility I have nothing to do with. I'll stop here and hope for the best...

They are illegal. End of discussion.

since this is a full site and not a promotional site will at least all their licensed webtoons be translated?

will the books be sent to actual book stores?

The official Japanese translation app is done with only some of webtoons, and there are no Japansese Naver Webtoon Books as far as I know.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

The official Japanese translation app is done with only some of webtoons, and there are no Japansese Naver Webtoon Books as far as I know.

I'm just curious, how extensive is the Japanese version of the Naver webtoons? I mean, there must be 150+ titles being put out on a weekly basis, are they all put out with a Japanese version?

Tn7HA0h.png

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 3,395 posts
It is mostly decided by author's choice, but it seems to be leaning a bit towards 'most viewed' webtoons minus comedy genre ones.

There are about 50 Webtoons being translated.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

It is mostly decided by author's choice, but it seems to be leaning a bit towards 'most viewed' webtoons minus comedy genre ones.

There are about 50 Webtoons being translated.

Ah, thanks, I was curious about that. So, if we slow down to think about it, it's really not too much of a stretch to think the English version might not be too different than the Japanese. In other words, only a portion of them actually being done.

Tn7HA0h.png

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 3,395 posts
http://blog.naver.com/a1231724/120204577971?viewType=pc

This is list of translated Webtoons in 2013

The names are differendt in Korean, Japanese and Engliish so it is almost impossible to list all of them, but you can see 'famous' webtoons like Tower of Gof, Noblesse, God of Highschool, Kubera, magician etc are there.
  • Ivy likes this

CeaseActivity

CeaseActivity

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSweden

Hey guys, might this be the future site? You can fill in a survey about what webcomics you'd like it to have, and your preferences about price/advertisements and so on...

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
Thank you! :D I don't know if that's the site, but I filled out the form with Kubera and Tower of God as favorite titles.

For comments at the end, I asked them not to have too much of a delay between the originals and the translation, because being 150 chapters behind would be so awful. T__T I'm actually willing to pay.

One thing that made me lol is that you could choose 'scanlator sites' as one of the places from where you heard about the site. xD I choose that.

Edited by Mizura, 16 June 2014 - 02:50 PM.

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,

CeaseActivity

CeaseActivity

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSweden

I dug around some more: link link

From Automata's comment section:

btw, dear fellow fans and those who have distributed Automata...:

A message from Dazzi.

BjepKgECYAAH84Q.jpg

So. Let's help him!

Edited by Plingis10, 16 June 2014 - 04:10 PM.

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
Aww, Automata is from Daum though. So it may not be Naver's service. :(
(Naver and Daum are competitors)

I hope Daum doesn't get too pissed off from the fact that I asked for two series from its competitor. >_>;;

Edited by Mizura, 16 June 2014 - 03:31 PM.

3492bk6.jpg

CeaseActivity

CeaseActivity

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSweden

Oh right, forgot about that D: This might not be "the big one" then. But I don't think we know if Tappytoon is created by Daum or if Daum just will have webcomics on it? Tapastic has some Korean webcomics in English from both Daum, Nate and Naver, so Tappytoon might be like that too. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Edited by Plingis10, 16 June 2014 - 05:55 PM.

Blunt

Blunt

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 388 posts

Lol I requested mostly Naver series. 

themantarays

themantarays

~A Majestic Ray of Light in the Dark of the Internet~ ☼_☼

• Comic Mods
  • 1,933 posts

Haha me too....