Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Official Naver Webtoon translation LINE

Naver Webtoon Official service

• Please log in to reply
421 replies to this topic

~You're~Cute~I'm~Cute~

~You're~Cute~I'm~Cute~

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 723 posts
  • LocationWhere perverts reside and crazies roam~

hmm.....I hope I did it right and not sound like an ungrateful person. >_<

giphy.gif

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 3,395 posts

Tapastic is a 3rd party website that seems to focused in licensing Daum webtoon, seeing as they categorized Daum webtoons by themselves. But it does not seem exlusive for Naver and Nate webtoons are being/been uploaded there.

I don't know anything about Tappytoon then any of you.

While Daum and Naver are certainly competitors, webtoon market is really small income for both of them and they seem to more or less get along then compete when it comes to webtoons. (Authors are known to move freely between them.)

Tapastic seems to be a 3rd party website that seems to focused in licensing Daum webtoon, seeing as they categorized Daum webtoons by themselves. But it does not seem exlusive for Naver and Nate webtoons are being/been uploaded there.

While Daum and Naver are certainly competitors, webtoon market is really small income for both of them and they seem to more or less get along then compete when it comes to webtoons. (Authors are known to move freely between them.)

Edited by Random-Webtoon-Fan, 17 June 2014 - 07:44 PM.

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

Those who saw the Noblesse raws already know about this... but omg! Finally!

https://www.facebook.com/linewebtoon

According to the announcement in the latest chapter of Noblesse, the launch will be in early July.

I see Kubera in that banner, and I REALLY hope it's included! But wait, there's more!

Tower of God will be back to you soon as the artist SIU gets better. You can look forward to the next episode which comes along with the LINE Webtoon App!

Could it be? Up-to-date translations?!

These are some popular charaters from LINE Webtoon :
Rai from Noblesse, Bam from Tower of God and Mori Jin from The God of High School.
The official LINE Webtoon Facebook page will provide you with more information on various Webtoons. Stay tuned.

I hope it's not just generic information. Will we finally get some of Currygom's worldbuilding information, officially in English?!

Guys, I've put it in my sig. I don't use Facebook, but spread it all around! Make sure there are plenty of Likes before the launch! :D :D :D

Edited by Mizura, 24 June 2014 - 02:25 AM.

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,
Official English Webtoons: https://www.webtoons.com

Horseshoe Crab

Horseshoe Crab

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 551 posts

It looks like someone from LINE Webtoon is going around spreading the news on all the relevant wikis.

Also, on their Facebook page, they're randomly giving away Starbucks gift cards as a prize for those who 'like' both their Facebook page and their Facebook Launch Event.

announcement posted to the Kubera Wiki

Spoiler

Edited by Horseshoe Crab, 24 June 2014 - 06:13 AM.

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

He posted the announcement on Narutoforums too. Like, 4 minutes after I had started a thread about it. xD

He also made a thread in the Tower of God section here. Hours after we had already started discussing it. :P

He didn't make a thread in this sub-forum. I am disappoint. ;_;

Still, 40 titles, wow! I am both excited and apprehensive. On the one hand, with 40 titles, Kubera is nearly sure to be included. On the other hand, how much translation resources are they spending per series? I hope they have a good proofreader at least. It'd be very disappointing if translations aren't as good as the scanlators' (pretty tall standards, in fact). It'd be nice if they'd just hire the current translators. xD

Once they start with their own official version, I guess we can just start a new sticky thread to discuss the official version, no? :3

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,

themantarays

themantarays

~A Majestic Ray of Light in the Dark of the Internet~ ☼_☼

• Comic Mods
  • 1,933 posts

He posted the announcement on Narutoforums too. Like, 4 minutes after I had started a thread about it. xD

He also made a thread in the Tower of God section here. Hours after we had already started discussing it. :P

He didn't make a thread in this sub-forum. I am disappoint. ;_;

Because I banned him for advertising. XD

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

Err.... I suggest you unban him, especially since he may be an official Naver representative. D:

I don't really consider what he's doing to be advertising in the spam since, since he Is on-topic. :0

3492bk6.jpg

smthFishy

smthFishy

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  • Locationsubmerged

This is a rather smart move, to release the web comics on an app that Naver has ability to control. No doubt it will have forum and messaging functions. So what they're vying for is the energy of the social interaction that takes place here on the forums. It will most likely have a slight chilling effect here. Nicely done, Naver.

themantarays

themantarays

• Comic Mods
  • 1,933 posts

Err.... I suggest you unban him, especially since he may be an official Naver representative. D:

I don't really consider what he's doing to be advertising in the spam since, since he Is on-topic. :0

Sorry, our policy is no advertising.

But I was nice in my message to him. XD And I let his actual post stay.

Edited by ♫The Manta Rays-Alright!, 24 June 2014 - 09:12 PM.

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 3,395 posts

This is a rather smart move, to release the web comics on an app that Naver has ability to control. No doubt it will have forum and messaging functions. So what they're vying for is the energy of the social interaction that takes place here on the forums. It will most likely have a slight chilling effect here. Nicely done, Naver.

Probably a comment section with little regulation would be all there is. (Like they do with Korean webtoon app.)

Sorry, our policy is no advertising.

But I was nice in my message to him. XD And I let his actual post stay.

Its ANNOUCNEMENT to OFFICIAL app which is same, or more important, as linking to raw. Not advertisement of some shady 3rd party.

Edited by Random-Webtoon-Fan, 25 June 2014 - 01:58 AM.

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

As RWF noted, it wasn't really advertisement. It was an on-topic post to the upcoming official not-raws. It's a bit silly that everyone BUT the people from Naver are allowed to post about it. D:

I suggest you ask The Company about this. Let them decide if they want to allow the Naver representatives to post here.

3492bk6.jpg

Ranchi

Ranchi

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

He also posted in the Reddit Kubera community. I was getting worried that he posted on the others and not there but I really hope that is confirmation!

http://www.reddit.com/r/Kubera/comments/290l4u/line_webtoon_launch_announcement/

Edited by Ranchi, 25 June 2014 - 01:59 AM.

smthFishy

smthFishy

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  • Locationsubmerged

I think what's done is done. I personally think it's a bit of a grey zone and it's possible to interpret this as an advertisement. Personally, I would issue a warning instead of a ban, but I would remove the post.

Probably a comment section with little regulation would be all there is. 

This is why I am not fond of smartphones. You can't develop the kind of meaning conversation and interaction in the comment space that you can in a forum. Also it encourages repetition of the most straightforward of thoughts.

Edited by Old Man River, 25 June 2014 - 04:27 AM.

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 3,395 posts
How is it any more advertisement then linking to raw? Or linking Tapastic site? Or TappyToons announcement? Or Frankfrut Book festival Webtoon samples?

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

This is why I am not fond of smartphones. You can't develop the kind of meaning conversation and interaction in the comment space that you can in a forum. Also it encourages repetition of the most straightforward of thoughts.

Actually, Koreans seem to do Everything on their smartphones. There's a version of the KuCa just for smartphones, and somewhere along the line, I realized that some readers were commenting at the KuCa from their smartphones, while even posting screenshots taken with their smartphone (I realized this because the screenshots had smartphone battery indicators and such in the corner D: ).

I do hope Naver realizes that not everybody is as smartphone-savvy as the people from the country of Samsung.

Edited by Mizura, 25 June 2014 - 08:58 AM.

3492bk6.jpg

themantarays

themantarays

• Comic Mods
  • 1,933 posts
Spoiler

Edited.

Long story short, I think we can all stop arguing about this now; you'll be pleased to hear we're making an exception for Naver to discuss their app on Batoto, should they choose to do so. I'll try my best to keep everyone informed.  :)

Edited by ♫The Manta Rays-Alright!, 25 June 2014 - 09:57 AM.
tl;dr

smthFishy

smthFishy

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  • Locationsubmerged

Actually, Koreans seem to do Everything on their smartphones. There's a version of the KuCa just for smartphones, and somewhere along the line, I realized that some readers were commenting at the KuCa from their smartphones, while even posting screenshots taken with their smartphone (I realized this because the screenshots had smartphone battery indicators and such in the corner D: ).

I do hope Naver realizes that not everybody is as smartphone-savvy as the people from the country of Samsung.

Last I checked, Samsung accounts for 20% of the country's GDP, and even Naver itself was founded by Samsung employees. It probably is consciously done by Samsung's marketing team to spread the use of their smartphone (i.e. have SIU draw advertisements for the newest gadgets). It just seeps into culture - you don't even think it's advertisement in the first place.  

I have to admit, Samsung's (and Naver's and other South Korean corporations') marketing teams are good. Really good. Naver probably hire psychologists or consults with psychologists, as I'm sure Google does here. It'd be really hard beat those Stanford psychologists (Stanford Research Institute, created around 1960s, undergone various projects to analyze personality types for various corporations.)

Well, looking on the plus side, at least you (and other volunteers) don't have to Google-translate raws anymore, if the same English version is going to be LINE. 

Edited by Old Man River, 25 June 2014 - 03:06 PM.

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 3,395 posts
I agree Samsung is trying to make everyone in the world use their Galaxy phones, but this is probably a decision to save development/management cost, not that kind of conspiracy level. Lol

And they would have made it Android only saying some 'development issue' was fault instead of making ios version too.

Marim

Marim

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 373 posts

Doesn't have a Smartphone *doomed* o_0

smthFishy

smthFishy

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  • Locationsubmerged

@Marim: I don't either. I think smartphones aren't all that great. They are very expense to produce, create a lot of pollution waste. The factories workers who make them are grossly underpaid, overworked, and develop various health problems from exposure to toxic chemicals, etc. Google/Samung/Apple should all be fined for creating this environmental disaster.

If it runs on Android, I think you can get a tablet and install it on that. Or wait for their PC version which Naver is currently considering. (I have an android tablet so I'll check it out to see if it installs.)

@RWF: The cost of creating an app on Android vs on IOS is about the same. There are some hardware differences and certain features, such as NFC (near field communication, i.e. paying with your phone) for example, that are phone-specific (and even manufacturer-specific.) But for the most part, the feature sets are the same. If you develop the app right, you should be fine.  Since Naver has an IOS version of their Naver app already, I think they already have the experience developing for iphone.

Also, if you're targeting US as your primary English-speaking market, then IOS wins easily - market share in the states is 61% IOS vs 37% Android. There might be other reasons why Naver decided to have an Android-only launch. 

Edited by Old Man River, 26 June 2014 - 12:50 AM.