Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

What would you actually do in Jee-Han's situation?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

cardz1992

cardz1992

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 11 posts

Maybe we should of named this forum "What would you actually do if you had Jee-Han's power?" instead of "What would you actually do in Jee-Han's situation?" that way we wouldn't have people debating about the situation!!!

Inuzuka

Inuzuka

Potato

• Members
  • 182 posts

Well, with Jee-Han's current situation, sitting on 25 unused stat points, I'd be trying to figure out how to assign them.

Personally I'd up all my stats to 15, then put the rest in Int, which would end up as... 63? Not really sure why his Str dropped by 1.

Mostly only saying 15 for all stats because the healing skillbook he had needed 15 in Vit and 15 in Int.

Also, the increase should help him realize what it is that each stat actually boosts.

CaptainVinegar

CaptainVinegar

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 70 posts

To Agonal:

Spoiler

Sorry if I missed anything or was jumbled in my presentation

sidneythelawyer

sidneythelawyer

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts

In reference to the bookstore idea, there is a possibility that certain books wouldn't teach him new skills, but would give him passive buffs.

For instance, what if a psychology book gave him an automatic level increase to his observe skill? or if having Lvl 1 psychology from the book gave a synergy bonus to Observe while observing people?

Much like having all the Chunboonmoon (sp?) skills gave him a set bonus, it would probably be possible to find books which would augment skills he already has.

And, to stay on topic, that is what I would do. I would raid the bookstore, copy any books I got from drops and do lots of experimentation to find out the limits of what can be done with mana.

I'd probably quit my job, or use my skills to easily learn a fun/easy one so I could spend time training and killing zombies!

Agonal

Agonal

Potato

• Members
  • 174 posts

Captain V. 

Spoiler

Edited by Agonal, 06 April 2014 - 06:26 AM.

jmccrimson

jmccrimson

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

If I was Jeehan, I would just put the rest of my points into VIT, become super smart in school, work out a lot to level up strength and vit and go to Sun-Il's house every day after school to train till night, and then level my VIT to like 50. Also I would ask the demon/dark summoner guy to give me books on how to summon things, and ask the girl who controls fire to have some of her books, and basically have a wide variety of powers. Also mastering observe, and mana manipulation, and the breathing technique.

Seraphim

Seraphim

Potato

• Members
  • 177 posts

I'd focus on a melee build that emphasizes speed, attack, evasion and critical attacks.

I'd invest skills primarily in Int, Wis, Luck, Str, Dex and Vit, in that order, until getting 50 in each and then focus my stat points in Str, Dex and Luck.

For combat skills I'd look for books on MMA, Kendo, archery and knife throwing.

After that I'd start doing MMA, Kendo and archery to raise the skill with the help of an instructor.

Getting the skill through the books first would mean less time and effort is wasted trying to gain the skill through practice.

I'm unlikely to get many active skills this way but I've always preferred passive builds in RPGs.

Even if I had help from the Chunbumoon I would still learn MMA and Kendo even though I would probably never need to use them and thus wouldn't level them up much.

For defense I'd get a books on parkour, acrobatics, camouflage and any other stealth related skills.

Not being hit is one of the best defenses.

For utility I'd go to a book store that specializes in university level textbooks and look for books on programming, maths, physics, chemistry, botany, zoology, medicine, statistics, finance, psychology, and as many languages as I could get my hands on and then learn them.

I'd also look for books on lock-picking, cooking and repairs from a normal book store.

This would give me a good basis for a wide variety of future careers and I would be able to level most of them just from attending school or university.

The programming, once leveled up, could be used to develop software that I could then sell and with the finance skill I would be able to invest the money and earn even more helping to ensure that equipment isn't a problem.

Additionally botany, zoology and medicine would probably enhance most skills by providing a passive boost when used against animals, plants and people respectively.

Chemistry and medicine could be used along with the crafting skill to create healing, mana restoring and buffing items.

The languages would of course be useful for reading and watching in the original languages *cough*raws*cough*.

Edited by Seraphim, 07 April 2014 - 12:53 PM.

Purple Library Guy

Purple Library Guy

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 695 posts
  • LocationCheck Rivendell, or Vorbarr Sultana, or Adrilankha. No? Try Vancouver.

Hmmm . . . something just occurred to me.  I'd need to learn how to launder money somehow.  Come up with a front business.  I mean, once I started grinding, and my Chunbumoon pals explained to me how valuable some of this stuff that just dropped off the things I killed was, the clear conclusion is I'm not actually going to need a career because money drops out of the sky just from training in my IDs.  What I need is some real-world excuse for having that money, so I can become a prosperous respectable citizen without actually having to hold down a regular job at the same time as my "Get tough enough to be sure I won't get grabbed and turned into a mana battery" job.

Locomoto

Locomoto

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • LocationGalaxy Station - Pluto
He learnt martial arts, passive skills, ranged skills and now cc skills. He just lack aoe skills. He's unstoppable! He might as well pour all his stats evenly.

Castle Code: 06150-10443-85193-92784

Completed Conquest and Birthright <3

Currently grinding in Hard/Casual (because grinding in Lunatic is madness)

logo-fef-revelation.png

Purple Library Guy

Purple Library Guy

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 695 posts
  • LocationCheck Rivendell, or Vorbarr Sultana, or Adrilankha. No? Try Vancouver.

Well, he's got some of all those things, sure, but the problem is if others are better at them.  As to what he just lacks . . . subtlety.  In terms of the "game engine" as it were, he's like an online game character.  But the environment does not have the limitations and game-balancing effects of a MMORPG.  Especially when it comes to dealing with human opponents and maybe-opponents, rather than standard categories of damage-dealing he needs sophisticated stuff like you find more often in a tabletop game:  Informational abilities, deception, mind-reading, abilities to shape and defend against magic itself.  Everything from spell shields to little tricks like being able to appear to be ten feet to the left of where he's actually standing.

If I were him I would definitely be working on such things.  There's always someone with a bigger energy blast who can blow through your shields; I can beat that someone if I'm sneakier and more versatile.

Edited by Purple Library Guy, 08 April 2014 - 02:20 AM.

deyone5

deyone5

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 14 posts
I would go on the nuna route since my gamer ability would allow me to see affinity points like in sim dates and harvest moon.

yajibei

yajibei

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 24 posts

without going on nuna's route (for now) I would try to create passive skills to convince, debate, seduction, ...
why fight if you can talk around people ? It can be more effective than being really strong.

bowen

bowen

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMountain Time Zone of the USA

If I were in Jee-Han's situation I would probably do the following:

1)  As others have stated I would look for other menus particularly a Tutorial and/or Player's Manual.  I think it best to get the most information about my abilities from Gaia as I can as that information would be the most accurate for me in my situation.  I probably would have been looking for this after I gained my first level, possibly before throwing all my points into STR.  For example, finding a Tutorial might lead to a way to save which would be game-braking-ly beneficial.

2) If after I exploited every menu, guide, or text I could think of from Gaia, I would start to focus on INT till I was smart enough to figure out what the most efficient direction to raise stats for my case.  I would probably make another attempt to think of new manuals/menus/skills/tutorials that Gaia might give me for free at about every 20 INT as I might be smart enough to think of it then.

3) If even after getting my INT maxed (assuming that 100 is the max) I still didn't know what direction my stats should go, I would probably focus on LUCK next as the old saying goes that, "It's better to be lucky than good."  And then WIS (since by this point I'm definitely a mana character anyway) WIS should also help with mana and might help me better figure out how to apply my knowledge correctly.  Again, at every benchmark of 20 toward the given stat I would go over again what I might have missed with the  manuals, menus, skills, tutorials, and etc.  Who knows, I might get lucky.

4) As the story has already unfolded IF learning a skill would cause conflict with another skill I would be warned, then I could judge weather that skill is worth learning or not.  As many others have already pointed out, I would spend some time in Libraries and Book Stores looking for skill/stat books.  As I wouldn't want to cause a scene I would buy them from bookstores or check them out from the library and copy them since I know already that those books don't just disappear, but do so in a spectacular way (people would probably worry about a fire in a library), and I don't want honest librarians/book dealers to be put out because of the loss.  I never know what skill might come in handy (though dish-washing skills sound pretty useless), but I know it's better to have and not need than to need and not have.  I figure that as long as learning the skill doesn't conflict, then there is no harm is at least learning the basics of it.  If I bought a book that turned out to be in conflict, and I didn't want that skill more than the conflicting skill I would just try to sell the book again (maybe get some sort of mercantile skill?)

5) Once I've determined what skills I have available I would prioritize which ones seem most useful and focus on their grinding.  Prioritization might get easier as my INT and WIS eventually increase so I would reevaluate about every 20 points in stat or every 5 levels of skill.

a.  I like the idea another poster mentioned about going to hospitals as an entertainer in an effort to help kids and other people who are in one way or another infirm.  I would again want to do this on the down-low as I don't want to draw attention to myself as that might gain Gaia's wrath.  But I doubt Gaia would mind if I helped others using my abilities unselfishly.

b.  I would also be sure to work on seemingly useless skills a little here and there to see if increased levels didn't improve their use.  In most games I've played Observe skills are usually a waste of time in a fight, but most games I've played don't have additional levels of the skill.  Maybe with a high enough observe skill I could determine which mobs are going to have Item drops and what they might drop.  

c.  Despite being a mana character by this point I would continue to train martial skills also.  I never know when I might need to fight in close range (walk into a building or other enclosed space only to be ambushed for example).  Perhaps with enough INT/WIS I would finally see the light of how I should be spending my stat gains and take the focus in another direction creating a more balanced hybrid type character.

d.  I'm honestly a bit surprised that Jee-Han didn't get any notable skill increase in crafting when he developed the mana arrow or the mana rope, but maybe that is because the mana objects don't last indefinitely.  Either way, I would be sure not to forget about crafting as a grinding priority because eventually I would want equipment specifically tailored to me.  It appears that the crafting skills requires recipes as guides so again I might find those in Libraries and book stores, or maybe if I just try crafting anything and everything I can think of out of clay, then use the recipes I've acquired to build things like swords, shields, etc out of better materials.  Eventually, I imagine I could craft enchanted items or at least items worth enchanting if I could learn enchanting skills to go with it.

6)  I would try experimenting with the item drops.  I can't imagine what use a zombie tooth would be, but it specifically said it was useful for crafting. Those bigger souls stones may be able to help the summoner's daughter better than those little ones so I would see if I could enlist her in experimentation with my soul recovery skill perhaps with the summoner present to observe what I might miss (If it were my daughter, I'd want to be present anyway for the sake of my piece of mind).  Being open with the summoner about what I can and can't do with the recovery skill might be a good idea anyway as he knows I did something to help his daughter (he'd be less likely to do something rash like kidnap me for interrogation if I was openly willing to help him with her condition).

7) I would see what drops I've already collected are worth on the Auction.  Maybe other people lacking in moral compasses would find zombie teeth more valuable for some necromantic gain.  Either way if I don't need it I'm not hanging onto hundreds of them... maybe five or so in case I think of a need later but not hundreds.

I know already that other people think their ideas are better than mine, and to them I say, "Good for you."  I honestly hope you think your ideas are better than mine since they're your ideas.  Try to remember though, that I'm going to feel the same way.  This topic isn't about how to min/max a character as much as it's about what you would do and since I'm not you I wouldn't do what you would do.  All of us are entitled to our opinions based on what we personally have experienced.  That being said I don't care to read your opinions about my stupidity, short-sighted-ness, etc.  I would rather just find out what you would do, not what you would do differently as that would become obvious from your post about what you would do.

There's my two-bits.

~Bowen

I don't mind learning life's lessons from the School of Hard Knocks... but the refresher courses from there kill me.

StoicGuard

StoicGuard

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 24 posts

If I were THE GAMER, I'll tell you what I'd do...

I'd begin by setting an attribute floor of 25. Next, I would raise each attribute as little as possible to gain a passive bonus from each, which may or may not require the same value for each. Then, I would raise INTELLIGENCE, and WISDOM together to the next passive bonus, or to 50/75/100, depending on how I feel the points are aiding my development. Once I reach 100 of both, I'd focus on DEXTERITY and LUCK, then VITALITY and STRENGTH.

I'd spend all of my time manipulating mana into anything I could think of, and reshaping it, and doing so as quickly as I could. I would focus on condensing the mana, creating dense, ever-present items which I believe would allow quicker formation of anything I would need. (Instead of gathering, forming and condensing the mana to create what I need, I reshape it from extremely dense reserves I carry on my person.) With these mana reserves, I would have an EFFECTIVE MANA POOL much larger than my base MANA POOL. Also, I would attempt to store mana within items, enhancing them with increased density, or perhaps granting the item special effects based on affinity or something that arose based on how I manipulated the mana.

Essentially, I'd strive to become an artificer/enchanter/warlock. Imagine facing a member of the Abyss who seemed to have unlimited mana and was able to conjure anything they could imagine nigh instantly.... Now imagine they could control inanimate objects in which they've stored mana... Wow.

Agonal

Agonal

Potato

• Members
  • 174 posts

If I were THE GAMER, I'll tell you what I'd do...

I'd begin by setting an attribute floor of 25. Next, I would raise each attribute as little as possible to gain a passive bonus from each, which may or may not require the same value for each. Then, I would raise INTELLIGENCE, and WISDOM together to the next passive bonus, or to 50/75/100, depending on how I feel the points are aiding my development. Once I reach 100 of both, I'd focus on DEXTERITY and LUCK, then VITALITY and STRENGTH.

I'd spend all of my time manipulating mana into anything I could think of, and reshaping it, and doing so as quickly as I could. I would focus on condensing the mana, creating dense, ever-present items which I believe would allow quicker formation of anything I would need. (Instead of gathering, forming and condensing the mana to create what I need, I reshape it from extremely dense reserves I carry on my person.) With these mana reserves, I would have an EFFECTIVE MANA POOL much larger than my base MANA POOL. Also, I would attempt to store mana within items, enhancing them with increased density, or perhaps granting the item special effects based on affinity or something that arose based on how I manipulated the mana.

Essentially, I'd strive to become an artificer/enchanter/warlock. Imagine facing a member of the Abyss who seemed to have unlimited mana and was able to conjure anything they could imagine nigh instantly.... Now imagine they could control inanimate objects in which they've stored mana... Wow.

Enchanting and stat focus aside, density reminds me a bit of ETOL from Veritas. Of course they said "purify ki" rather than "condense mana", but it sounds like the same principle. +1 sir.

demonzabrak

demonzabrak

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

Ya know, a lot of people have had some pretty good ideas in here, and I am a fan of the "learn all t3h skillz" road, but honestly, that would all take the backseat for me, cause I'm a bit (super) paranoid.  As of now in the story, particularly after hearing that I might get hunted for a mana farm, I would immediately do the following:

Turn on my active buff skill, from Chun-Breathing.  It gave, at level 1, a total of 60% bonus stats (30 in STR and DEX), for 15 mana.  I would take the feeling of the move, and recreate it with mana instead of Ki.  Then, I would run through EVERY POSSIBLE COMBINATION of mana-based active buffs.  Assuming my thoughts on the Breathing Meditation are right, and it's a 250% increase instead of a flat 30 point recovery, I would turn on every buff with an INT bonus, and then sit and meditate.  Eventually, I'd run out of mana, but then I'd just keep meditating till it's all back.  Turn em on again.  As they level, they'll give larger boosts for the same cost, giving me more INT, and thus more mana, and I'll also gain about 2 mana per minute spent mediating.  Eventually, I'd "break even," where the costs of the buffs are less then my regen.  As that happens, you start adding new ones to the active training list, until eventually (maybe not to long with the new rooms), I could manage to have them all running at all times.  When everything is said and done, I'd be about 15 times stronger then my level would suggest, stat wise, and assuming luck is something you can't buff, all my points would go into that from then on, as I'll just naturally get stronger just by, you know... existing.  I'd also look into making skill macros, so I can just throw all my buffs on at once in the morning, or make multiple skills and name it "Panic Button," resulting in some absurd combo of Knockback, AoE damage, Healing, Shielding, and Invisibility.  Cause you never know, might need it some day.

StoicGuard

StoicGuard

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 24 posts

I'd also look into making skill macros, so I can just throw all my buffs on at once in the morning, or make multiple skills and name it "Panic Button," resulting in some absurd combo of Knockback, AoE damage, Healing, Shielding, and Invisibility.

Actually, to be a panic button, I'd probably include a physical knockback, a mental challenge such as disorientation/blindness or a combination, a physical snare, a variety of damage sources, a variety of self-targeted aid to include status cures and healing, a shield, invisibility coupled with a combination of physical and visual clones as well as additional auditory illusions, and I'd complete the coup de grace with some sort of immediate spacial relocation (not necessarily very large, just enough to avoid anything targeting my previously known position.

Popcorn01

Popcorn01

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 38 posts

I'd also look into making skill macros, so I can just throw all my buffs on at once in the morning, or make multiple skills and name it "Panic Button," resulting in some absurd combo of Knockback, AoE damage, Healing, Shielding, and Invisibility.  Cause you never know, might need it some day.

That kinda reminds me of a spell called "Ocato's recital" in a skyrim mod. With it, you're allowed to 'save' three spells which automatically activates for free when combat starts. I don't think Jee-Han will be able to do anything like that (at least not anytime soon) but setting macros is probably one of the top-priority things he should look into.

ThinIceOwl

ThinIceOwl

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
I'd go full-on white mage. Invent a Raise skill. Fighting is cool, but the prospect of resurrecting the dead is a bit too much to pass up.

Edited by ThinIceOwl, 13 April 2014 - 12:12 AM.

adel

adel

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

Straight to the bookstore to see if I can find books that qualify as skill books, be it cooking, handycrafts, sailing or whatever.