Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

What would you actually do in Jee-Han's situation?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Gurkenglas

Gurkenglas

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts

If you were the current Jee-Han, what munchkinries would you adopt if you somehow saw no reason to not immediately break the game with all the obvious ideas?

Some examples:

Observe everything. EVERYTHING. In particular Observe people, in particular those with ??? for values, in particular his mother. Thereby gain levels in Observe for even more information. Knowledge is power. Also try saying "Manual." because I'd feel beyond stupid if I missed that until a few years in.

Raid a bookstore with his money, particularly for "X for Dummies" books. (Rack up an arsenal of skills that don't restrict his alignment)

Remove effects of sleep deprivation with Soul Recovery for an extra 8 hours of training time each night.

If that doesn't work, at least cast a Mana Shield before going to sleep and have a timer wake you up every few hours to recast it to not let that nightly mana regen go to waste.

Edited by Gurkenglas, 12 February 2014 - 02:03 AM.

Popcorn01

Popcorn01

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 38 posts

Remove effects of sleep deprivation with Soul Recovery for an extra 8 hours of training time each night.

If that doesn't work, at least cast a Mana Shield before going to sleep and have a timer wake you up every few hours to recast it to not let that nightly mana regen go to waste.

I still don't understand why he'd need to sleep in the first place with the Gamer's Body thing. Or eat. As for Observe, it seems like it's a skill that upgrades only through noticing something - he initially upgraded it after noticing the slime's movement pattern.

In-verse, I'd immediately go back on trying to create an evasion skill. He didn't really seem to try considering he just messed around in poses. I'd also try to see if I can activate skills and open the menu without vocal commands. It'll be a hassle to shout moves or "inventory" in battle, when it can be taken advantage of by the enemy.

Edited by Popcorn01, 12 February 2014 - 03:45 AM.

Gurkenglas

Gurkenglas

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts

Granted, pick up a textbook on math or riddles then ^^.

He said at some point that he'll have to keep repeating the names of his moves, although how he knows that is unknown... maybe he should name the first stealth skill he invents <touches tip of tongue to back of mouth>?

Inuzuka

Inuzuka

Potato

• Members
  • 182 posts

Grab a dictionary and just start reading out any game related words to see if there are any hidden or unobvious commands he doesn't know about yet.

Elyandarin

Elyandarin

Potato

• Members
  • 153 posts

Jee-Han should use a photocopier to get multiple copies of any skill book that monsters drop - that way, he can learn the skills, and sell them to researchers, too.

If the skill book system applies to anyone in his party, then in the future, he can get paid the big bucks in the Abyss, by teaching people a bunch of new skills in less than five minutes.

And if the skill book system also works with the photo-copies, Jee-Han can teach skills to his friends practically for free. 

Vandalier

Vandalier

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 44 posts

Soul Recovery would only remove the drowsiness but he'd be lacking the forced awakening buff that will keeps him from falling asleep anyway

Edited by Vandalier, 19 February 2014 - 01:07 AM.

Through adverse Zahard will the monarchy of the great fisherman be in ruinous trouble: The young red black one will seize the hierarchy, The traitors will act on a day of drizzle.

God of LoL

God of LoL

Sweet Potato

• Members
  • 10,556 posts
  • LocationIn the Bato.cave.
Become a telekinetic.
He imagined strength coming out of his hand and then he got the Energy bolt and the ID create.
If he had a little imagination, he could potentially become that. And since he can train his skills indefinetely (I presume), g
he could become the Gamerverse's Phoenix.

I would also make my abilities thought activated. The voice thing is a bit of a.. You know...

kfi6l.jpg

Elyandarin

Elyandarin

Potato

• Members
  • 153 posts

So, when you make an Illusion Barrier, what precisely follows along? We know buildings are still there, but what about small inanimate objects, like those in a store? Can he use ID Create inside a library and just go nuts trying to find skill books? Can he bring stuff back, or is it just illusionary matter? 

If the objects are there, but can't be brought back, Jee-Han could still do stuff like using showy powers to find buried treasure in the Illusion barrier, then go back with a shovel at night and dig the real stuff up, or training his crafting skill with components that will reset when the Illusion Barrier does. He could sample all the food in a restaurant before ordering it IRL, or test sports equipment to destruction before buying it, to see which is better.

Edited by Elyandarin, 26 March 2014 - 01:30 PM.

Agonal

Agonal

Potato

• Members
  • 174 posts

Become a telekinetic.
He imagined strength coming out of his hand and then he got the Energy bolt and the ID create.
If he had a little imagination, he could potentially become that. And since he can train his skills indefinetely (I presume), g
he could become the Gamerverse's Phoenix.

I would also make my abilities thought activated. The voice thing is a bit of a.. You know...

Yes.  Like how he originally learned Mana bolt was by visuallizing.  Doing.  Not saying.  Likewise, I would stick with that.  Not only would be it quicker, but you don't want to announce what you're doing to an enemy.  I mean, c'mon! 

"Sneak attack!" 

Your Sneak Attack failed.

"Damn!"

So, when you make an Illusion Barrier, what precisely follows along? We know buildings are still there, but what about small inanimate objects, like those in a store? Can he use ID Create inside a library and just go nuts trying to find skill books? Can he bring stuff back, or is it just illusionary matter? 

If the objects are there, but can't be brought back, Jee-Han could still do stuff like using showy powers to find buried treasure in the Illusion barrier, then go back with a shovel at night and dig the real stuff up, or training his crafting skill with components that will reset when the Illusion Barrier does. He could sample all the food in a restaurant before ordering it IRL, or test sports equipment to destruction before buying it, to see which is better.

I like where your head is at, but my guess would be anything in direct manipulation by someone at the time does not go into an illusion barrier.  But.. maybe.. that's where all my missing socks have gone?

On Topic

• Ask Questions:  "Mom.  Where do ability users come from?"  "Hey Yunhonmoon.  Wtf is your beef with that Summoner?"   And etc.
  • Thoroughly explore my ability (which he has yet to do)
  • Raid a library.  In addition to skills books, search for stats books.
  • Upgrade illusion barrier to next dungeon level.  ANd...
    • Attempt creation of illusion barriers with status effects. 
    • Attempt to manipulate illusion barrier size
    • Attempt to "enchant" items like clothes, my bed, shoes, with said tiny illusion barriers.  Permanent buffs! 
  • Continue skills grinding & Level up
    • Physically train strength, stamina, endurance, vitality, and dexterity.
    • Place acquired stat points in Intelligence, Wisdom, Luck, 2:2:1; but rush to the '50 stat abilities'
  • Cross-train martial arts, and learn how to cast while engaged in hand-to-hand (cast by thought/feel)
    • then dual cast, multi-cast, etc.
  • Create, modify, & combine skills to form new abilities
    • Observe + Drain = Acquire ability? (Active) Through observation of form & stealing of energy (Ki/mana), you've learned how Insert Ability works.
    • Rip + Ki Strike = Energy Tiger-Claw (Active)  Unarmed strike that tears the flesh of opponents
    • Energy Claw + Power Strike =  Mega T.Claw(Active)  Unarmed attack the tears the limbs off opponents  (Critical hit!  You tore Zombie's rib-cage in half!)
    • Yunhon Soul Recovery + Life Drain = Exercise Life Force (Active) Protects and heals the target while removing powerful curses/demons
      • "I've healed your daughter, Sung-Ah, Sung-Gon!  Now you can dismiss your barriers!"  For preventing a war between Sung-Gon and Yunhonmoon, you've gained 1 level.  (But have a party with me when I cure her.  I'd half expect the possessing demon to appear and have to fight it)
  • Prostitute myself to all the various clans' daughtersOffer the clans the chance to bear my children in hopes their clan would gain natural ability users.  But get payed doing it - like breeding with a champion thoroughbred racehorse.
  • Find a way to get rich with my newfound intelligence and wisdom; preferably a legit way.

Edited by Agonal, 27 March 2014 - 09:11 AM.

ogman20

ogman20

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 14 posts

Jack up int, wis, and dex-max out observe, become worlds best poker player!

Agonal

Agonal

Potato

• Members
  • 174 posts

Jack up int, wis, and dex-max out observe, become worlds best poker player!

There is still some LUCK involved, as well.  Easier to win if you're getting the cards to back yourself up. 

Unless you plan to use DEX to stack the deck.  But that'd get you dead as likely as becoming world #1.

Inuzuka

Inuzuka

Potato

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • Continue skills grinding & Level up
    • Physically train strength, stamina, endurance, vitality, and dexterity.
    • Place acquired stat points in Intelligence, Wisdom, Luck, 2:2:1; but rush to the '50 stat abilities'

Why'd you cross out stamina? It seems to be a real stat in for the gamer, it's a (hidden) usable stat, like HP and MP. 

The Outer Ki technique boosted his stamina's recovery rate by 10%, so increasing his amount of stamina would be a good idea.

Edited by Inuzuka, 28 March 2014 - 10:11 AM.

Khashayar

Khashayar

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts

What I would do? In short: Have fun. Even shorter: Experiment.

I consider the Gamer Ability to be a mix between RPG (obviously) and Simulation (not as obvious). But you have a lot of Sim-Game like elements. Especially the planning of your day. For example your school time: While it is not useless to go to school for the average person, if you are The Gamer, it is kinda a waste of time. So since you can't skip it, I would try to find ways to still profit from it. Develop skills that can be trained while in class, without anyone noticing. Observ obviously, maybe local and small IB's. Or Clairvoyance-like skills. Could even train Physical Endurance thing: Keep hitting yourself with something while in class (that would make you look pretty masochistic though XD).

Second: Spend free time inside barriers (don't want to get struck by lighning cuz you pissed of Gaia) and try to figure out if things like telekinesis and elemental magic work. Theres a bunch of cool things one could try it.
After that is done and you have a good basis for grinding ( for me that would be AoE / Homing stuff, plus movespeed or movement skills) its ofc grinding time. Thats when the real fun starts.

From there? Dunno, don't know the limitations (or lack thereoff). But with that you would easily be able to get to level, say, 50, in about 2 months, probably a lot higher. Put points into Int and Wis and you are good to go. Ace all your test, ace everything thrown at you, get a good job thats fun and still have a lot of freetime with whatever it is you like to do (for me: MOAR GRINDING).

wp57wat4.jpg

"Good Words", "Good Thoughts", "Good Deeds"

Agonal

Agonal

Potato

• Members
  • 174 posts

What I would do? In short: Have fun. Even shorter: Experiment.
I consider the Gamer Ability to be a mix between RPG (obviously) and Simulation (not as obvious). But you have a lot of Sim-Game like elements. Especially the planning of your day. For example your school time: While it is not useless to go to school for the average person, if you are The Gamer, it is kinda a waste of time. So since you can't skip it, I would try to find ways to still profit from it. Develop skills that can be trained while in class, without anyone noticing. Observ obviously, maybe local and small IB's. Or Clairvoyance-like skills. Could even train Physical Endurance thing: Keep hitting yourself with something while in class (that would make you look pretty masochistic though XD).

Second: Spend free time inside barriers (don't want to get struck by lighning cuz you pissed of Gaia) and try to figure out if things like telekinesis and elemental magic work. Theres a bunch of cool things one could try it.
After that is done and you have a good basis for grinding ( for me that would be AoE / Homing stuff, plus movespeed or movement skills) its ofc grinding time. Thats when the real fun starts.
[b]From there? Dunno, don't know the limitations (or lack thereoff)[b]. But with that you would easily be able to get to level, say, 50, in about 2 months, probably a lot higher. Put points into Int and Wis and you are good to go. Ace all your test, ace everything thrown at you, get a good job thats fun and still have a lot of freetime with whatever it is you like to do (for me: MOAR GRINDING).

Though for the short term it may seem more beneficial to skip, over the long term it might actually be more efficient to go to school and study physics, chemistry, and basically all "science" to understand how things work on a theoretical/chemical/atomic/etc level. Of particular use would be how various forms of energy move. This would no doubt expedite learning "elemental" magic, ignite creativity with learning techniques, and raise your threshold or "limitations".

But fun is very important!

Edited by Agonal, 29 March 2014 - 10:44 PM.

juberval

juberval

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Lots of great stuff.

Explore for others existing menus!

"Observe" everything!

Search for skill books in common stores!

Other altering status items (like redbull for no more sleeping or something like that).

Copy or crafting valuable and more complex itens. 

Develop the time freezing barrier. Who knows how long it would last if he level it up?

Guess he might be able to creat everything from mana. Some weapons! Mana sword! 

But why not just ask his mother about qhat she knows? Why is that so damm difficult!? 

whomightub3

whomightub3

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 52 posts

Learn to activate my commands through sub-vocalization, so I don't look like an idiot. Raid a bookstore, amazon or b&n and/or equivalent, mainly the "self-improvement" "how to" and "for dummies". Try to imitate simple physical acts and tricks from videos from the internet, like the back-flip, front-flip, wall-running, juggling. Face planting or doing cannon-balls into the dirt repeatedly inside a barrier would raise the value of Physical Endurance without embarrassing myself. Buy chainmail from the internet and wear it under my clothes. There are thousands upon thousands of books designed to help with running and even more to help with studying. Studying is a skill, as is speed reading. Why he hasn't tried to learn them, I don't know. Check out the internet for food recipes and cook to create higher lv food items and grind my craft skill. Observe my way through an entire pharmacy and grocery store, to see what works best that's instantly purchasable. For all I know pineapple or kiwis may completely recover mana depletion. Allowing me to infinite grind skills. Pick up a book on lip reading and micro-facial expressions and learn to fake telepathy. Teach myself real telepathy. Visit the burn ward of a children's hospital as an entertainer and heal some children, hopefully without being too noticeable.

Khashayar

Khashayar

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts

Though for the short term it may seem more beneficial to skip, over the long term it might actually be more efficient to go to school and study physics, chemistry, and basically all "science" to understand how things work on a theoretical/chemical/atomic/etc level. Of particular use would be how various forms of energy move. This would no doubt expedite learning "elemental" magic, ignite creativity with learning techniques, and raise your threshold or "limitations".

But fun is very important!

Mhh, yeah, my explanation was a bit weird.

I, personally, would never skip school. Even if it's a subject I don't like.

And science related ones definitely are subjects I like. So theres no way I would skip them. Even more so, if I'm a Gamer and could really use the knowledge about how things work on the atomic / sub-atomic level. I'd have way too much fun to skip that.

I mean, wouldn't it be great, if you already do know telekinesis, sit in a physics or chemistry class, and can simultaniously try what you are just learning? No problem with that, since noone could notice if you do someting to some atoms, unless you, dunno, turn a table to gold or something.

wp57wat4.jpg

ziemekzz

ziemekzz

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts

What would I do? Well...:

1) Assuming that I got Breathing Technique I would grind it as much as possible along with the Outer Ki Technique.
2)I would also try to grind Knife Mastery , since buying a kitchen knife in a supermarket isn't  as suspicious as buying a metal bat.
3) I would rise Observe for fun

4) I would try raiding book stores ( a chance of getting some skills)
5) Start running everywhere instead of walking. I'm sure that would make me a Running Skill which would passively increase my movement speed and stamina.

Concerning stats:

I would go for Vit and Int because I think that a really high Vit would let me live a long life with good health and int for memorization and mana. after hitting 50 in both Vit and Int ( and probably witnessing some Vit related skill like the one that JeeHan got for Int,  e.g.: increasing my hp regen rate, stamina and total hp & stamina). After that I would try investing some points into Dex  and probably see what Wis would do.

Upon reaching 50 pts in Int( which I would prioritize) I would start manipulating mana too get the awesome skills one could actually obtain if they thought a bit (unlike JeeHan):

a) A mana sword of HIGH mana density + it's variations with other melee weapons like spears, javelins, halberds, axes, scythes and lances. I would grind it like HELL

B) then I would try creating a powerful Instant Dungeon or a GIGANTIC space/time based spell that would work like Archer's Unlimited Blade Works 
c) or make a spell that would work like Gate of Babylon that Gilgamesh had

would grind both b and c( or just one, since such spells would likely consume unholy amounts of mana to cast and sustain)

d) on top of that i would try mixing elements into mana to make something like:

• Fire Magic Mastery ( trying to insert mana into a lighter or a burning match or a torch)
  • Water Magic Mastery ( trying to control watermovement with mana or simply imbue water with mana and see what happens)
  • Lightning Magic Mastery ( using a taser or bateries in the same process as aforementioned)
  • Earth Magic Mastery ( using sand/mud/dirt/stones and/or plants) 
  • Wind Magic Mastery ( I wonder... maybe trying to make bubbles of mana with highly compressed air)
  • Black Magic and White Magic Masteries would be rather hard to gain since manipulating  shadows or light would need an insane amount of concentration (photons, angles and so on) or maybe all it would take would be to imagine the shadows/rays of light gaining a physical form.

e) Also raising Physical Endurance high would be good ( and trying to gain resistances to other elements if possible)

f) A skill that allows communication with animals could prove useful ( e.g. I <talk> to a wolf or a big dog like Doctor Doolittle and invite him/her to a party... and imagine a wolf(dog) gaining a couple of levels and growing to be as big and strong as a bear but far more agile that would be TOTALLY AWESOME... unless the wolf/dog decides to try to eat me -_-
Well all of the above skills pale in comparison to Gate of Babilon or Unlimited Blade Works when you consider dps, but will be very useful if I'm low on mp.
g) Now that I think about it, provided that I have a multitude of tamed, high level beast-companions I could make a variation of Gate of Babilon that instead of shooting weapons on my command would make ALL the familiars run full speed for an enemy, kinda like a HUGE-ASS summoning spell

h) Trying to create a sword-skill that would unleash a wave of mana upon executing sounds good too. A bit like Getsuga Tenshou, just faster and less mana-expensive ( well dmg would drop, but whatever, one can't have only big-ass moves that eat up cosmic amounts of mana)

And some passive skill that would increase mana regen rate like Balance of Powers (could be achieved for e.g.: reaching a certain proficiency at all branches of magic{fire,water,wind,earth,lightning,black,white})

And maybe some hand to hand combat techniques that involve MP like Soul Crashing Strike from the Breaker that Goomoonryong and Shion use.

Of course I would mainly concentrate on the breathing techniques, since they give a percentage of stats and who knows what hidden bonuses they would give after reaching some higher level of mastery.

I think that leveling would be quite easy with mastering Sword Mastery, Mana Sword and movement speed mastery like Running Mastery or some foot technique. And if I managed to get Gate of Babilon I would most likely be able to onehit most bosses with it as well as kill insane amounts of monsters( like zombies)  since its dps is over the roof. Provided that I wold gain exp at least as fast as JeeHan I would be on a godly power level in about 5 months.

20.jpg

Khashayar

Khashayar

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts

e) Also raising Physical Endurance high would be good ( and trying to gain resistances to other elements if possible)

Oh, right, completely forgot that: Take super hot/cold shower and see if you get heat/cold resistance.

After that, try to touch a candle fire and slowly work towards a campfire or something like that.

Regarding magic:
I'd imagine most elemental magic to be quite easy.
Fire --> friction, or imbuing fire with mana could work.

Wind --> try to "move" air with mana, and by that I don't mean imbue it

Earth and Water --> again, imbuing it is probably the closest bet

And I would try if there is any way to feel life. Would come in handy.

wp57wat4.jpg

Purple Library Guy

Purple Library Guy

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 695 posts
  • LocationCheck Rivendell, or Vorbarr Sultana, or Adrilankha. No? Try Vancouver.

Hmmm . . . Well, I'm pretty lazy.  So at first I'd probably do rather less with it than Jee-Han.  But when I found out that there were nasty people who would be coming along with the intention of turning me into a mana-battery in a cage . . . yeah, I'd do some grinding, some thinking and some experimenting.

On the basics:  As a mostly-solo guy, and on an instinct basis, while I might push INT harder than other stats, I think I'd insist on getting to a floor of 20 for everything.  Partly to find out what it did, partly to avoid weaknesses that might be exploited.  I'd train some direct physical combat; I'd emphasize sword-and-shield because I consider that frankly the most effective hand-to-hand weapon system, and unarmed martial arts because you might not have the chance to get out your weapons but you always have hands, feet and whatnot.  I'd include some grappling, joint-locking and such partly because one on one they can be very effective and partly for a reason I will get to.  

I would no doubt work on some basic ranged stuff along the lines of Jee-Han's.

I would work hard on stealth, and try to come up with stealth magics, like invisibility, shielding my mana use and so on.  Luckily zombies are probably pretty easy to hide from, so it'd be fairly easy to start the skill going.

I would work on my instant-dungeon skill.  It looks like if you know what you're doing, you can stop people from escaping, stack the odds against them, improve your training, stretch time and stuff.  Also, if your skill is high hopefully you might be able to escape from an opponent's higher level dungeon that would otherwise trap you, negate the modifiers they try to impose, perhaps take the damn thing over and turn it against them.  Controlling the setting strikes me as a big deal.  I'd much rather be the one in control of the territory than have my opponent control it.  As a natural ability user, I suspect my capacity to do that could potentially be stronger than some opponents otherwise tougher than me.

So if I'm stealthy the next step is damaging or incapacitating magics that don't obviously come from me.  If I can kill while I can't be found, I can defeat people who should be far tougher than I am.  This is a deadly combination.  I think it's rare in online games precisely because it is so broken, but Jee-Han's abilities seem very open-ended.  And I tell you, in tabletop RPGs this is one of the most vicious approaches there is.

Another thing to try for is mind magics.  One major problem with the Abyss is, everyone seems to know more about what's going on than I do.  Mind reading would be an excellent way to start levelling that playing field.  It also has its tactical uses--hard to surprise you if you know what they're thinking.  Once you've got some mind magics, more offensive variations might be possible--stunning, fear, mind control, editing what they see--lots of fun stuff in mind effects.

Jee-Han is right to think about mobility.  Flight, teleportation . . . excellent ways to escape, get in position to attack, hold distance from infighters.

Missile deflection!  Apparently there are ability users out there using GUNS.  Others have bows, still others likely have magical missiles of various sorts, not to mention thrown weapons (axes, shuriken, whatever).  If I could come up with something that, rather than putting up a head-to-head "Is my damage shield as badass as your attack?" shield, instead eased that stuff aside so it missed me, I could again potentially neutralize the weaponry of people basically more potent than myself.

Finally a couple of less fundamental, more exotic amusements that I might try to explore:  Draining attacks and a damage shield.  Draining attacks, more specifically transfers, where you drain from your opponent and gain yourself, seem to be possible; Jee-Han learned one from that zombie skill book.  But hit points is not the only possibility.  I would have mucked with that one and then tried to come up with other variants.  I had a character once who had a speed drain; it was highly effective.  As he scored hits, his opponents would get slower and he would get faster, until eventually they were near statues and he was the freakin' Flash.  Then he'd beat them to a pulp.  Lots of fun!

And OK, Jee-Han has this force shield thing that blocks damage.  But it's made of the same mana-stuff as his arrows and such, right?  OK, so how about tuning it a bit so that if opponents touch it, say by trying to hit or grab him, the shield hurts them?  Now combine that with martial arts grappling attacks.  Put a lock on someone and hang on until they fry.

I'd probably fiddle with crafting rather more than he has been.