Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Released chapter discussion

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

Old McDonald

Old McDonald

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 850 posts

It just seems out of place for Ishida to randomly add a 12 and centipede there so I'm assuming there is a connection. Then again, are there are tarot references mentioned anywhere else?

The only explicit tarot reference is Kaneki, AFAIK. In the other cases, the hints are sometimes stronger, sometimes weaker.

White Guard

White Guard

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 15 posts

Do you know that tatoo on Uta`s neck is the latin proverb "Nec possum tecum vivere, nec sine te" ("So i can`t live either without you or with you") but written in greek letters (NεΧ ποσσυμ ΤεΧυμ ωΙωερε, νεΧ σΙνε Τε) ? 

I think it`s a reference to Itori`s words 

http://vatoto.com/read/_/220264/tokyo-ghoul_v4_ch34_by_twisted-hel-scans/6

Usha

Usha

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 12 posts

This makes me have a lot of mixed feelings... 

I'll love Uta regardless.... 

この 世界 は 間違っている!

Jassim Al-Madeh

Jassim Al-Madeh

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationBahrain
Owl has "6-8 Kakuhou"???
Can't decide

Old McDonald

Old McDonald

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 850 posts

Yes, Owl has quite a number of them. One can view the number of kakuhous as a measure for a ghoul's strength: The more kakuhous a ghoul has, the more varied his attack patterns are, the faster wounds heal, the greater his stamina is.

I think the number of kakuhous increase through cannibalism. (This is speculation, I don't know if it was explicitly said in the manga somewhere.)

Jassim Al-Madeh

Jassim Al-Madeh

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationBahrain
What does Kaneki mean by "I won't"?
Last page~

Edited by Jassim Al-Madeh, 17 June 2014 - 02:18 PM.

Can't decide

White Guard

White Guard

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 15 posts

What does Kaneki mean by "I won't"?
Last page~

"I won`t leave my cute waifu alone ". 

Edited by White Guard, 17 June 2014 - 03:09 PM.

x-cube323

x-cube323

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 237 posts

What does Kaneki mean by "I won't"?Last page~

Touka said "don't leave me alone" (she probably was referring to Kaneki)
And then Kaneki came out of nowhere and said "I won't"

Vital Distance

Vital Distance

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 79 posts

What does Kaneki mean by "I won't"?Last page~

I honesty think he's referring to Ayato's statement "Sleep!!" But then again the other two could be right.

sig9_by_0mystogan0-d796yyl.png

x-cube323

x-cube323

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 237 posts

I honesty think he's referring to Ayato's statement "Sleep!!" But then again the other two could be right.

It would be pretty cool if the author made kaneki answer both... Touka's and Ayato's demand with the same answer "I won't"

Old McDonald

Old McDonald

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 850 posts
Oh, interesting discussion. I think Morbid can say more about this, but I will give it a shot. Kaneki says "shinai yo", which roughly translates to "(X) do not (this)!" The problem is: Who is X? And what is this?

Morbid assumed Kaneki is X and connected it to Touka's "Don't leave me alone...". One possibility is to interpret it as Kaneki's answer to Touka's "Don't leave me alone..." That's a valid interpretation of the text, but I think Touka's "Don't leave me alone..." is part of the flashback (because of the clothes Touka seems to wear in that panel). If it is a part of the flashback, Kaneki cannot answer Touka's exclamation.

Another interpretation is to see it as an answer to Ayato's "Sleep!" Basically, Kaneki would say that he doesn't sleep/doesn't remain idle. He would answer Ayato's command, even though the command was directed at Touka.

The last possibility would be that X is Ayato. Then, this would mean "(Ayato) do not (this)!", or to make it sound like English, "You won't do this!" Edit: Thinking about it for a night, I would expect Kaneki to use someting more command-like when he would say this to Ayato...

For reference, Google Translate tells me that the Chinese scanlators turned it into "I won't let you have your way!" That's either the second or the third interpretation above.

It would be pretty cool if the author made kaneki answer both... Touka's and Ayato's demand with the same answer "I won't"

Now that I think about it, that's basically what I just wrote, didn't I? In Japanese, both interpretations are possible.

It could be that Ishida intended this double meaning. For example, the chapter titles are often word plays (at least from chapter 120 nearly all chapter titles had hidden double meanings).

Edit: Some changes after I thought about it some more...

Edited by Old McDonald, 18 June 2014 - 08:02 AM.

Jassim Al-Madeh

Jassim Al-Madeh

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationBahrain
Kaneki'd eat during the torturing, but he also did sit in that chair all the time.
And it's not like he went to the toilet even once.

And there are other similar differences between ghouls and humans.

I think ghouls "consume everything in people". To "rebuild themselves", they need the same materials, no?
Their digestive system works different than humans. No one did forget that a ghoul mother absorbs her one-eyed child, right?
I believe that Rc cells are "another key to how this works"...

Edited by Jassim Al-Madeh, 20 June 2014 - 09:33 AM.

Can't decide

Jassim Al-Madeh

Jassim Al-Madeh

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationBahrain
http://vatoto.com/read/_/245201/tokyo-ghoul_v7_ch64_by_twisted-hel-scans/11
"On that guy"?
Can't decide

x-cube323

x-cube323

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 237 posts

"On that guy"?

Who might "that guy" be? Mysteries...Mysteries everywhere

Old McDonald

Old McDonald

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 850 posts

I thought about this for a while and I think now that the translation is wrong. Yamori says "そいつ".  Most often, this pronoun refers to a person (then it means "that guy"), but it can also refer to a thing (then it means "that thing"). The "thing" translation makes much more sense. Then the sentence just means:

"I tried it out. That."

Edited by Old McDonald, 21 June 2014 - 03:06 PM.

x-cube323

x-cube323

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 237 posts
Chapter 73...

Badass Kaneki strikes again 0_0
Unbelievable that he reached this level of badassery in just one chapter xD

Rak_Wrath

Rak_Wrath

Potato

• Members
  • 107 posts

75, sadist Kaneki is amazing.

~I am RaLeader~

~A true leader of these troubled times~

Maya24

Maya24

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationIn my house.

sadist Kaneki is amazing.

Yes.

15301sm.jpg

x-cube323

x-cube323

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 237 posts

75, sadist Kaneki is amazing.

talking about breaking 103 bones as if it's a funny little science game xD

favole

favole

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

Chapter 74: do we know in future chapters what "Arata" (the "toy"/object use by Shinohara) is? (it's also the name of Touka's father, and I know Shinohara killed her father...)