Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Released chapter discussion

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Prediction:

Those creepy books the MC likes so much, were written by a ghoul. 

Prediction:

MC will meet that author in person and learn the truth, eventually.

Also, that strange guy they encountered, maybe he is part ghoul too. The girl recognized the similar smell from the MC and figured it wasn't the MC, and couldn't be good. ER scratch that maybe, some memory of rain and father or something.

Edited by truepurple, 08 September 2013 - 02:16 PM.

Aizen-sensei

Aizen-sensei

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 21 posts

Prediction: the MCs hair colour will change to white

Prediction: The MC will be tortured and will become stronger

I thought this was a released chapter discussion thread, and not a prediction of the chapters to come, discussion thread.

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

That is discussing, and every one of these forums should start with a thread like this to provide a outlet for alternative to spoilers in comments.

Jassim Al-Madeh

Jassim Al-Madeh

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationBahrain

That is discussing, and every one of these forums should start with a thread like this to provide a outlet for alternative to spoilers in comments.

I wonder why lots of manga readers avoid spoilers and raws

"Official" spoilers and raws are all about released chapters even though the chapters in japanese

Not that it really matters...

---------

So Tsukiyama-san's all crazy about Kaneki's flesh and blood

He's planning to eat him, just right now, right? :D

Can't decide

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Prediction for chapter 39+:

MC whips out ghoul mask (so a crowd doesn't find out he's a half) and transforms, then beats the brute. They see the mask and transformation (as well as the strength) and realize he's the rumored ghoul that killed a dove (even though he didn't kill him) They then go from treating him like dinner, to a a famous person welcoming, much to his displeasure (obviously aside from relief of not getting killed and eaten) I'm like 95% sure of this, it makes total sense with what they have already shown, and how else is he going to get away from such a crowd of ghouls?

And I figure the women who put him onto "investigating" the club, was actually luring him in for the club.

Edited by truepurple, 14 February 2014 - 08:41 PM.

Jassim Al-Madeh

Jassim Al-Madeh

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationBahrain

Are Kaneki, Touka and Hinami the three people mentioned in the title of chapter 27?

Can't decide

Jassim Al-Madeh

Jassim Al-Madeh

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationBahrain

nobody knows?

Can't decide

Old McDonald

Old McDonald

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 850 posts

I think Ishida left it deliberately open... My guess would be Hinami and her parents. After all, Hinami's speech is the center of the chapter.

Morbid_Charade

Morbid_Charade

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 12 posts

I also think it's probably in reference to Hinami's speech about losing her parents.

Old McDonald

Old McDonald

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 850 posts

Ishida sometimes places hidden messages in the panels. Just take a close look at the last page of chapter 63.

Spoiler

Usha

Usha

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 12 posts

Ishida sometimes places hidden messages in the panels. Just take a close look at the last page of chapter 63.

Spoiler

Actually that would make sense for Kaneki but I don't see any relation between Juuzou and the tarot meaning of Death unless you are thinking Death means Death, when it doesn't. Death means in most tarots just a change. Just how a snake changes its skin for a new one, aka the end of a process and the start of a new one (lets say for example, getting overage as a way of death to your childhood and birth to your adult period). To be honest I don't see any of that related to Juuzou... However I do see Kaneki in the Hanged Man, since that one represents the ,most of the time unneeded, self sacrifice for a greater good of some sort, usually imaginary greater good though. 

As for the centipede... You can see on ch 66 when he actually takes the centipede outta his head. Even though most would have forgotten about it by ch 66 (I did) and won't notice the centipede on his hand (I didn't until someone pointed it out for me xD) Here is the page: 

Spoiler

Now, if you want to get onto hidden messages check this out instead:

Spoiler

Does the date sound familiar at all? Probably not, I don't know if this is mentioned on the story at any point but here it is what it is. 20th of December is Kaneki's birthday (I think this appears on the character profiles). I was like "O_O what!?!" When this was pointed out to me. I think that's a huge message from Ishida, talking about growing up and the changes in life, this birthday isn't any birthday for Kaneki, it's day, the moment, the hour he becomes 20 years old, which is the adult age in Japan. NOW, take that however you want =P

この 世界 は 間違っている!

White Guard

White Guard

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 15 posts

Why do you think that was his 20th happy birthday? Kaneki was just 18 years old in the 1st chapter. 

Old McDonald

Old McDonald

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 850 posts

About Juuzou: Juuzou is associated with the number "13", so this is where his potential connection to the tarot card "Death" comes from. Ishida associated Kaneki with a tarot card, so why shouldn't Juuzou's association with the number "13" also be a nod to the 13th tarot card?

The number "13" also references the "Friday the 13th" horror series. The main reference is "Jason", though.

Spoiler

Concerning hidden messages, I know of another (smaller) one:

Tsukiyama and his "Glico pose" in chapter 39, when he takes out Taro-chan.

Why do you think that was his 20th happy birthday? Kaneki was just 18 years old in the 1st chapter. 

• Chapter 1 says that Kaneki is 18. AFAIK, this fits well with Kaneki's freshman status at university.
  • Juuzou says in chapter 47 that Kaneki is 19, the same age as him. Juuzou is repeatedly stated as being 19 years old, so this can't be a typo.

Which one is correct? I have no definitive answer. Personally, I think Juuzou's statement is more likely wrong. Maybe Juuzou didn't care for the three weeks that were left until Kaneki's birthday.

Edited by Old McDonald, 23 May 2014 - 10:45 PM.

Traumatic Tomato

Traumatic Tomato

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 203 posts

Spoiler

Yeah, I see it. Damn you're good.

Old McDonald

Old McDonald

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 850 posts

Yeah, I see it. Damn you're good.

I'm not that good. I didn't see it at all when I read the chapter. I just saw a post about it at baidu (which in turn linked an old thread at 2ch).

Usha

Usha

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 12 posts

Well I'm not saying you are wrong or it's not done on purpose or anything like that. I'm saying, if the connection Ishida was trying to make was between Juuzou and the number 13 was through the tarot, then the connection makes no sense. Most likely in Juuzou's case the 13 would be something else. 

About the age, I don't think it's wrong, Ishida was telling us Kaneki is a year older now with Juuzou stealing his wallet and telling us his age. So by this 20th of Dec he'd turn 20? That's what I think anyway

この 世界 は 間違っている!

Jassim Al-Madeh

Jassim Al-Madeh

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationBahrain

If only Kaneki and Juuzou were referred to numbers, then it means...

Spoiler

However, I still didn't fully understand the origin of these numbers' meanings. So I can't make any logic of it.

Edited by Jassim Al-Madeh, 24 May 2014 - 01:42 PM.

Can't decide

Old McDonald

Old McDonald

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 850 posts

Well I'm not saying you are wrong or it's not done on purpose or anything like that. I'm saying, if the connection Ishida was trying to make was between Juuzou and the number 13 was through the tarot, then the connection makes no sense. Most likely in Juuzou's case the 13 would be something else. 

About the age, I don't think it's wrong, Ishida was telling us Kaneki is a year older now with Juuzou stealing his wallet and telling us his age. So by this 20th of Dec he'd turn 20? That's what I think anyway

The main reference is probably the "Friday the 13th" series.

And there was a change in Juuzou, in some sense. It's the difference between "Juuzou" and "Rei".

small Juuzou spoiler:

Spoiler

The chapters 1-47 didn't cover 14 months. They covered roughly 2 months. Kaneki worked for a month at Anteiku until he was kidnapped by Aogiri. It's impossible for both statements to be true.

I have a half-finished timeline somewhere, maybe I will post it later.

Spoiler

However, I still didn't fully understand the origin of these numbers' meanings. So I can't make any logic of it.

No no, there are more characters associated with numbers. Kaneki = 12, Juuzou = 13 and 15 are known. And there is a hot candidate for 11.

Usha

Usha

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 12 posts

Eh, then I don't know, to be honest it's been ages since I read the 1st chapters.... xD so I only remember the latest ones. 

Also 

Spoiler

Like I said.... even if they were referred to as numbers, and that was linked to tarot. Death doesn't mean death so I don't think that applies.

この 世界 は 間違っている!

Traumatic Tomato

Traumatic Tomato

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 203 posts

It just seems out of place for Ishida to randomly add a 12 and centipede there so I'm assuming there is a connection. Then again, are there are tarot references mentioned anywhere else?

Btw, I found something interesting a while back:

Spoiler