Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * - (4.38 - 437votes)

Hayate no Gotoku!

Alt Names: alt ハヤテのごとく!alt Hayate the Combat Butler
Author: Hata Kenjiro
Artist: Hata Kenjiro
Genres: Action ActionAdventure AdventureComedy ComedyDrama DramaHarem HaremRomance RomanceSchool Life School LifeShounen ShounenSlice of Life Slice of LifeSupernatural Supernatural
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Ayasaki Hayate, 16, the world's unluckiest boy.
Working hard as a child for food and school fees, his unemployed and indebted parents sold him to the yakuza for his internal organs. After temporarily escaping the criminals and contemplating the benefits of a life of crime, he was saved by a wealthy young girl, who now employs him as a live-in butler.
Go to Hayate no Gotoku! Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Hayate manga download New Window ash111
  • 1 Replies
Topic missing chapter New Window firathmagi
  • 0 Replies
Topic Hayate no Gotoku [spoilers] New Window defry
  • 3 Replies
Topic Have you viewed the anime? New Window Baltringue29
  • 6 Replies
Topic I really can't understand Hayate's preference... New Window S&Mplayer
  • 11 Replies
Topic Why do you enjoy this series? New Window rockingoldensamurai
  • 8 Replies

3443 Comments

Sorry for the double post, but it was the only way I could quote properly for some reason after two pages.

This ending is worse than I ever imagined it would be... Those last pages ruined it. Everything else was fine. Even with that cut in Hina's moment, it would've been better than what we got.

Spoiler

Yeah, but Hata-sensei always wanted the Nagi x Hayate ship. It is much clearer in the prototype manga that he did for HnG. However, once Hata-sensei introduced Athena into the story, the Nagi x Hayate ship just didn't make sense, save to those who wanted that and so are OK with mere crumbs. Hata-sensei should have been working on a Nagi x Hayate ending long ago. Instead, he chose gags over plot and we are left with the mess we have.

Was Maria and A-Tan's connection ever explained?

And, RIP, it does seem like Maria is dead. Though how she made her wish is a mystery. And I wonder whose grave that is in the ending? Maria's or Nagi's mother?

(Obligatory Maria was OP comment)

I need to reread the chapter. I guess I didn't get that from what I read. (It is f'd up if true.)

My reaction to this is, dude what!? Many plotholes still left for example what happened to maria? And to be honest pretty much every girl, we've been shown how hinata confesses to hayate but what about a-tan or that girl from 3-pack (smartest one or at least she thinks normally). Such a disappointment that goes without saying. Although it sounds cheesy i wanted a harem ending where hayate is butler for all of them :/

Kurotsubaki wasn't explained. Of course there was Maria. Machina was just dropped and forgotten. We don't know what Isumi did to make Nagi afraid. There was just tons and tons and tons left unresolved, to say nothing of how nothing was really built to establish a Nagi x Hayate ending other than, "You are supposed to infer this based on Hayate's and Athena's childhood relationship."

The ONLY good thing this ending did was having Hayate's parents pay for their crimes. The ending was rushed as hell and having Hayate have romantic feelings towards Nagi was out of nowhere, he never cared about her as a girlfriend, only as a "big brother".

Also what happened to Maria? To A-tan?

You said it! But this is what happens when one wastes so much time doing meaningless gag chapters, or as it turns out, the rather pointless school trip (save to remove Hayate's debts).

Now that this series is finally over, I have some inclination to read it.

Can someone tell me what this series actually was? A gag manga? Action? Gag genre shift into action a la Negima? A sprinkled mixture of both? These tags are all over the place leading to more confusion than clarity.

From everything Hata-sensei has said about the series, he saw it mostly as a gag manga. That's why whenever he got away from the gag humor for any length of time, he freaked out and did weeks or months of gag chapters that had zero relation to the plot. In the end, you could say it was a mix of all this plus harem.

After reading this for 7 years i'm severely disappointed with this ending not nearly enough closure to all the characters and the final battle/chapters were way to rushed.  Not even that mad about the Nagi ending, but hayate disappearing for 2 years then just showing up to date nagi makes no sense.  Needed more build up and closure of other ships.  Another 20 or so chapters could have done wonders fleshing out the ending, but nothing can be done now.  Thank you dkthias and all the other ppl that worked on bringing this to the US.  Also ty Hata sensei for making this.  

#NishiwazaBestGirl

When Hata-sensei satisfactorily removed Ruka from the harem, he should have started working on building the Nagi ship and shutting down the other ships, to say nothing of working on resolving other plot threads. However, I suspect he was afraid to do this, especially in light of his failed attempt to sink the Athena x Hayate ship. We were supposed to see Athena handing the hat to Nagi as, "You now take my place as #1 for Hayate." But Hata-sensei never did any real work on this and I think he was afraid that if he did, fans would abandon the series.

Gag??? Go read grand blue

I have really tried to like that series, but it just fails to do anything for me. I like wacky comedy stuff, which is how I got into D-Frag and My Monster Secret. But for some reason, I never laughed once for Grand Blue. Not sure why.

Wow, another trash ending for a quite decent manga.

Who would have guessed...

Seriously though, 568 chapters and can't even include a good wrap up?

I don't really care that much about Nagi ending (expected cause worst girl always wins) but author reaaaaly screwed up handling the plot for the rest of the cast.

Yep, which is why Hata-sensei needed to work on the resolutions starting when he resolved the Ruka thread.

Thus the manga's final chapter has been released. Hope you like it, although the end is not the most satisfying one.

Thanks for all the work on this.

I suppose Hata sensei can now concentrate on his new series which hasn't had an update in months.

I think Ad Astra Per Aspera will resume at some point. Indications were that it would do so after HnG finished.

Ending doesn't touch on enough people and feels rushed. Did I miss the Maria's origin being explained somewhere?

Nope, you didn't miss it. Hata-sensei wasted way too much time on pure gag chapters rather than winding down the manga. Plus, I think having his story about Nagi's parents in CTMEOY unusable in the manga was a hard blow for him. After that, I think he lost interest in the manga.

Ah, this feeling when the worst girl wins, it stings like lemon juice in an open wound. Oh well, that's life, especially when the ending is mega rush-like.

Wow, another trash ending for a quite decent manga.

Who would have guessed...

Seriously though, 568 chapters and can't even include a good wrap up?

I don't really care that much about Nagi ending (expected cause worst girl always wins) but author reaaaaly screwed up handling the plot for the rest of the cast.

So it's finally over and this is the ending I get. Someone please help me and tell me this isn't true

dont worry, its times like these where you just go read the millions of doujins people will write with alternate endings and pretend they are canon

So it's finally over and this is the ending I get. Someone please help me and tell me this isn't true

Can someone tell me what this series actually was? A gag manga? Action? Gag genre shift into action a la Negima? A sprinkled mixture of both? These tags are all over the place leading to more confusion than clarity.

Gag??? Go read grand blue

Well looking at it he might have displayed attraction but no true feelings of romance towards any of the other leads except maybe Maria, Ruka, possibly Nishizawa, or Nagi (subconsciously). I mean there is a level o devotion to Nagi that is ridiculous but it stemmed from a misunderstanding, then when she fired Hayate as a butler there was no channel for his devotion so it became stalker Hayate, which is why we can say it is an all-consuming part of his life, that no other girl had any other part of, We know that he only thinks of Nagi even without the debt so we see that he would rather be a butler than date girls. The only other viable ship would be if Hinagiku, since Ruka was eliminated and Nishizawa reached her ending in a sense, Athena already made her declaration, Maria is gone (I hope she gets a spin-off) but any relationship formed in this one chapter would have been ridiculous and non-believable. Process of elimination leaves us with either no-ship (worst ending), harem ending (unlikely considering the values cultivated in this mange), or shipping with Nagi. So out of all the endings I think this is the logical best if the execution is to be desired.

its over, its finally over. i can finally breath fresh air.......... now to a new series that looks as promissing as this was in the first 5 years, but will have a decent ending.

After reading this for 7 years i'm severely disappointed with this ending not nearly enough closure to all the characters and the final battle/chapters were way to rushed.  Not even that mad about the Nagi ending, but hayate disappearing for 2 years then just showing up to date nagi makes no sense.  Needed more build up and closure of other ships.  Another 20 or so chapters could have done wonders fleshing out the ending, but nothing can be done now.  Thank you dkthias and all the other ppl that worked on bringing this to the US.  Also ty Hata sensei for making this.  

#NishiwazaBestGirl

What happened to María? Please someone explain! I dont even care about anything else!

She just left. Nothing about it; no explanation needed.

Not satisfying, but analogous to life. Sometimes the people you love the most will just disappear.

I only wish it didn't end like this...

...And so, herenow let the gates of fanfiction be opened, so all the fans with dissastisfactions may find their little piece of heaven, as I did, in my mind, Hayate is an better place, with his harem, in a tropical country, enjoying the easy life, like a certain Grisaia no Kajitsu's Protagonist.

So hayate in the end became gigolo to paid all the expenses?

And it's done. Thank you Hata Kenjiro

All of the above.

What happened to María? Please someone explain! I dont even care about anything else!

Explanation: Axes need no explanation.

The ONLY good thing this ending did was having Hayate's parents pay for their crimes. The ending was rushed as hell and having Hayate have romantic feelings towards Nagi was out of nowhere, he never cared about her as a girlfriend, only as a "big brother".

Also what happened to Maria? To A-tan?

The ending. Words can't even....
Oziy3Zf.jpg?1

And, RIP, it does seem like Maria is dead. Though how she made her wish is a mystery. And I wonder whose grave that is in the ending? Maria's or Nagi's mother?

it was the place of Nagi's mother grave, although they could have put there Maria's too.

meh end. What really saddens me is that i have been reading this for more then half a decade and i seriously feel old now ;_;

This manga is more confusion than clarity so you understand completely

My reaction to this is, dude what!? Many plotholes still left for example what happened to maria? And to be honest pretty much every girl, we've been shown how hinata confesses to hayate but what about a-tan or that girl from 3-pack (smartest one or at least she thinks normally). Such a disappointment that goes without saying. Although it sounds cheesy i wanted a harem ending where hayate is butler for all of them :/

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics