Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.57 - 149votes)

Genshiken Nidaime - The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture II

Alt Names: alt げんしけん: 二代目alt 现视研2alt 现视研二代目alt Genshiken 2alt Genshiken IIalt Genshiken Nidaimealt Genshiken: 2nd Generationalt Genshiken: Second Generation
Author: Kio Shimoku
Artist: Kio Shimoku
Genres: Comedy ComedyDrama DramaGender Bender Gender BenderHarem HaremRomance RomanceSchool Life School LifeSeinen SeinenSlice of Life Slice of Life
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Genshiken follows the lives of a group of college students drawn together by their shared hobbies, and the trials and adventures associated with being otaku.

Genshiken Nidaime ("Second Generation") is a continuation of the previous series, with chapter numbering starting at 57.
(http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/genshiken-the-society-for-the-study-of-modern-visual-culture-r961)

Spin-Off:

> Ramen Tenshi Pretty Menma
(http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/ramen-tenshi-pretty-menma-r6171)

Alternate Story:

> Spotted Flower
(http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/spotted-flower-r2152)
Go to Genshiken Nidaime - The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture II Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Latest Chapter Discussion New Window WorstWaifu
  • 3 Replies
Topic I can hardly find any fanfiction for this series! New Window captainkitten
  • 13 Replies
Topic Why, oh why Kio Shimoku? New Window cloudbill
  • 11 Replies
Topic Madarame X New Window null7
  • 18 Replies
Topic Does Suzanna Hopkins Have A Future? New Window MangaisGood
  • 4 Replies
Topic Who is translating the Genshiken Nidaime now? New Window EbonyRaven
  • 2 Replies

814 Comments

Reply is big-ish, so hidden.

Spoiler

Interesting point.  IMO, though, you get better at relationships by practicing, not by waiting until you somehow become worthy in isolation while waiting for the perfect one to come to you.  On the other hand, what you're saying does seem very Japanese.

I still ship MadaramexHato. Will I get hurt again?

Good lord.  The weird thing is, I was expecting to be mega-mad after reading all the complaints, but when I actually read the chapter the whole thing was so over-the-top otaku stupid that I couldn't stay upset.

Still . . . I've seen plenty of stories where they sacrifice realism for a good story (more dramatic, or satisfying happy ending, or whatever).  And I've seen stories where they sacrifice satisfying story for realism--gritty realism, slice-of-lifey realism or whatever.  But I've rarely seen a writer this good sacrifice both satisfying story and realism for nothing in particular.

Reply is big-ish, so hidden.

Spoiler

Forever alone, which is actually the most realistic.

As I've said, it all came down to whether those two could be homo, cuz none of the other choices have much of a backbone to stand on. I really don't think Madarame is gay but Hato has to be at least be bi, you can't love someone of the same sex and not be gay or bi. I suppose its not absolutely inconceivable.

Anyways, had Hato really been a girl, she would had been WAY WAY too good for him that it would just another nerd wish-fulfillment, and dear god we have enough of those.

And it's over, the harem arc dat is and what a waste of time it was, LOL kuchi took madarame's first kiss :v, time for some character development for sue and yajima. Also wanted to know da opinions of sasahara and da gang :3

At least it didn't feel like a cop-out. A very Madarame choice.

Ughhh thanks for many years of story arc just to put it down the drain...

To Arimareiji: I read AU as Alternate Universe

Yeah.... it makes it seem like it was hella forced out of wanting to make Spotted Flower canon instead of AU.

Sorry, but I'm curious... AU?

Edit: Thank you, MangaisGood ^_^

Also: I've been hoping against hope that you're wrong about forcing it for the sake of making Spotted Flower canon. (actual spoilers enclosed)

Spoiler

Kudos to the author for finding a truly Madarame outcome, the reasoning for

Spoiler
was pretty solid in my opinion.

...Really ?

Indeed. I'm surprised Sensei was able to create even more of a "square peg being hammered into a round hole" than Keiko joining the harem.

sue face at page 23... i don't think is over yet.

Thank you. ⁽⁽٩(๑˃̶͈̀ ᗨ ˂̶͈́)۶⁾⁾

I skipped straight over it by mistake, seeing only her kissyface on the same page. I think the page before it may have been the most forced of all.

I was prepared to shatter the space-time continuum with a cosmic scream of frustration, but –

I'm OK with this.

Kudos to the author for finding a truly Madarame outcome, the reasoning for rejecting everyone was pretty solid in my opinion.

...Really ?

Kudos to the author for finding a truly Madarame outcome, the reasoning for rejecting everyone was pretty solid in my opinion.

A little offensive too. What with making gayness a choice.

But that's Japan.

I disagree with 'gayness a choice'. Mada = straight, Hato = xdresser. Neither of them actually 'gay'. (Mada got attracted to what appeared to be a pretty girl). Both realised that a relationship would be based on both of them lying to themselves about their true positions. Reason won out at the end of the day.

This arc was certainly not a waste in any regard as it was entertaining in its own way and, as others have noted, now it is clear where the harem members stand and new arcs can be developed.

The whole story may be a point where a bit of 'time out' would suit it and give the author some recovery time. Or we could leap straight to Spotted Flower and have some chapters there to fill in the gaps.

Thinking on it, that's probably the best way forward as the characters we know in SF have developed in interesting ways and that should open up some fresh ideas. What can Genshiken offer now that won't be repetition to some degree? SF moves the characters away from the university and into the big wide world.

Now watch Kiomiko sensei make a mockery of me!

(I hope I haven't said anything that should have been hidden in a spoiler tag. But who reads the comments before reading the new chapter?! Preposterous!)

sue face at page 23... i don't think is over yet.

and, that's all? continuous in Spotted Flower?

Dammit, Madarame! TAKE THE TORTURE! Something happened this chapter as far as I'm concerned.

Spoiler

Good lord.  The weird thing is, I was expecting to be mega-mad after reading all the complaints, but when I actually read the chapter the whole thing was so over-the-top otaku stupid that I couldn't stay upset.

Still . . . I've seen plenty of stories where they sacrifice realism for a good story (more dramatic, or satisfying happy ending, or whatever).  And I've seen stories where they sacrifice satisfying story for realism--gritty realism, slice-of-lifey realism or whatever.  But I've rarely seen a writer this good sacrifice both satisfying story and realism for nothing in particular.

Hrm.

Well, that felt completely forced. Almost as if his editors, publisher, and a government official all interceded to stop him or something. Sheesh.

The author should not pull a Rame when writing about Rame pulling a Rame. -_-

Yeah.... it makes it seem like it was hella forced out of wanting to make Spotted Flower canon instead of AU.

A little offensive too. What with making gayness a choice.

But that's Japan.

Quick question. Status says Ongoing for this series but was this the last chapter (ch122) for Nidaime? The last scene with the shot of the club room and that last teaser line implies that it is. Anyway, I have no idea how this series continues with out Madarame... he carried this manga so hard the author had to write him back in for Nidaime.

He's going to be the ultimate wizard, I'm sure of it.

As someone who didn't ship Mada with anyone, and never rooted for any girl to win, this is a perfect end to the arc. Harem arc is finally over, and I got plenty of salt and tears to flavor my food.

A great ending to this arc.

Spoiler

Well that was a pointless arc.

Yoshitake really embodies the readers in this chapter, just pure exasperation with Madarame. The montage of pictures at the end of this chapter were beautiful though

First and absolutely foremost: Thank you to the mysterious anonlators for carrying us through. (image)

Spoiler

~~~~~

Now: (spoiler for the current chapter, 122)

Spoiler

Well, that felt completely forced. Almost as if his editors, publisher, and a government official all interceded to stop him or something. Sheesh.

I hope you're joking, but these days... well, I'd be curious to know the details if you're serious.

(trigger warning and spoilerish for 122)

Spoiler

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics