Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Does Suzanna Hopkins Have A Future?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

MangaisGood

MangaisGood

Potato Spud

• Donator
  • 13 posts
  • LocationRivendell, literally, but I'm over LoTR

A sacrilegious idea perhaps but one to ponder: will Shimoku sensei develop Sue further or is she doomed to remain remain an Enigma in the Genshiken?

More-so than any of the other main characters we actually know very little about Sue and then only isolated bits of info:

•     She is American,
  •    Age unknown but hinted at being younger than she seems. To extrapolate this, one could therefore assume she is gifted, reasonably proven by the fact she picked up at least spoken Japanese pretty quickly and also that she has entered univercity,
  •     She seems protective of her female friends ("Die Sassahara" "Die Tanaka") to the point of being feral - the brilliant scene in the public bath after comifes where Ogiue was explaining to Keiko the Madarame Harem. Although that outburst and another one later may be more in response to any suggestion that Sue herself could / should be involved with Madarame.

Umm, no other hard facts spring to mind.

Some of her traits are contradictory. For instance, from her introduction to the present "Ogiue Chika isa my wifeu" has been popping out of her mouth and she is quite clingy with Ogiue. Yet in recent (Ch 102 has been out for a few weeks now) times she has been getting flustered around Madarame.

The more I think of what has been seen of her, her life seems to be one of striving to fulfil anime memes in reality. I think that is what happened when Ogiue laid her head on Sues lap (Meme come true! Sues head blew off steam). Perhaps she is currently trying to manipulate Madarame and Hato into a relationship, something she directly encouraged in Ch 59 and again later when seeking out Hatos Mada x Hato drawings. That would push her BL buttons.

Certainly every time she turns up something fun or intriguing happens, but is that destined to be her only purpose in the story? Shimoku sensei has been careful not to paint her as a lightweight - she gets involved with club activities, pays attention to whats going on and chips in with insightful observations when the situation calls for it. I don't see any personal romance for her among the current Genshiken crowd. She could become the centre of a story arc in future, but boy, she'd have to open up and that could be very interesting!

hisui火水

hisui火水

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationRight behind your left shoulder. Do not look.

Had to think for a while to figure out who was referenced on the title. My suposition is that Sue was only a comic relief on the first series that ended up being promoted to full-fledged character on this sequel, having much more presence than before. That said, it's only the rpesence though: she still barely speaks regularly, and it makes it very difficult to know what's on her mind. Note that she's likely the only character whose thoughts are never revealed.

Your assumption that is gifted is much coherent, and that goes well with her quikiness, as the huge numerous verbatim references are astonishing if nothing else. She seems to be quite capable physically given her jumps and kicks and whatnots. I suppose that, adittionally to her capability of easy learning, she's also extremely shy, to the point of being socially inept, except when inside otaku-like circles, where she can communicate solely through gestures and quote references. Cosplay might also be a way of expressing herself.

Now that I'm thinking about it, her promotion to the main cast and her mysterious character, added to her recent odd behavior near Hato and Madarame and moving close to them, is most likely a clue that her story might be explored further, just like Keiko, whose presence was minimal on the first Genshiken, now had much more spotlight than one could have guessed,

That and, of course, my shipping goggles are trying to find hope that she will have more screen time from now on.

It's jade, actually. I'm just messing with my kanji.

KaazaLite

KaazaLite

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 35 posts

If the series goes on long enough then its definitely possible that more of her background will be revealed. However, since the author probably does not know that much about American culture and lifestyle, her background might just be left as a mystery. Many people might prefer it be that way instead of a serious misrepresentation of America.

MangaisGood

MangaisGood

Potato Spud

• Donator
  • 13 posts
  • LocationRivendell, literally, but I'm over LoTR

:lol: Well, over a year after my initial post and Ch 118 just out, I think Sue has the spotlight now. Keep it coming Kiyomiko san!

Mudakun

Mudakun

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

http://vatoto.com/reader#3a6de9644043a5e5

or 

http://vatoto.com/comic/_/comics/spotted-flower-r2152 ch 17.5

Edited by Mudakun, 24 January 2016 - 12:23 PM.