Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Does the Next Gen Start with the Wii U?

Game Wii U

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Poll: Is Wii U the start of the Next Gen? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Does the Next Generation Start with the Wii U?

1. Yes (6 votes [31.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.58%

2. No (13 votes [68.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 68.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Good Emperor Late

Good Emperor Late

Russet Potato

• Donator
  • 344 posts
  • LocationThe end

It's called marketing, a.k.a. "How to persuade other people to buy something they don't really need". Just take a look at all these Hollywood movies...

How unintelligent of you. something that they don't need? How so? And a PS3 is needed THAT much more? Really?

Did you know that Wii U marketing campaign was a flop? Still sold? Problem? *troll face*

Posted Image

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

Equine non grata

• Members
  • 3,853 posts
  • LocationSan Escobar

How unintelligent of you. I never said that people need PS. I also don't recall any news on rising death rate due to lack of consoles in one's life.

Did you know (...)

I did not know that, I was never interested in actively following gaming news. It doesn't change the fact that there are many ways to market stuff, not all of them related to direct advertising.

How to persuade other people to buy something they don't really need

How so?

I meant it in general, not about gaming systems only. Majority of things being sold nowadays is unnecessarily overpriced (has well known logo? price goes up) / advertised as something it's not (i.e. as something much more desirable than it is) / of declining quality (why pay more for production if we can make the same thing using cheaper resources).

Mod-in-Disguise

FlQCNQa.gif

You <3

Whoever decided to delete this was an idiot.

| Handwritten kanji recognition || KanjiTomo || Kanji converter || J<->E Dictionary |

Good Emperor Late

Good Emperor Late

Russet Potato

• Donator
  • 344 posts
  • LocationThe end

How unintelligent of you. I never said that people need PS. I also don't recall any news on rising death rate due to lack of consoles in one's life.

I did not know that, I was never interested in actively following gaming news. It doesn't change the fact that there are many ways to market stuff, not all of them related to direct advertising.

I meant it in general, not about gaming systems only. Majority of things being sold nowadays is unnecessarily overpriced (has well known logo? price goes up) / advertised as something it's not (i.e. as something much more desirable than it is) / of declining quality (why pay more for production if we can make the same thing using cheaper resources).

If you say stuff like that on a GAMING(the stuff wehere you say it's an unnesessary thing) thread, people WILL think that you talk about other consoles. You know? This isin't a general thread? People are bound to take it like that. Sorry, it was unintelligent of me to say you are unintelligent. I'm just tired of defending Nintendo, the trolls keep on coming and stuff.

I also don't actively follow gaming news. Just there's people on youtube that do, and they cracked up after hearing the sales of Wii U after such "doom and gloom" talk on gaming forums.

I see, and i agree on marketing stuff. If you buy a computer from apple(yes yes, the apple card), the most powerfull one, it'll cost you 10k, plus you can't even repair it.

Gaming systems, though, are hard to define if they are "not needed". For normal people, casuals, yes they are not needed, but for gamers, who use them i'm pretty sure they are needed. And technically you can never define what's "not needed" as it depends on the person, really.

Also, i can see that you have voted for "no" on this thread. Even though you are saying they are not needed, you obviously have an opinion on this matter? Meaning you contradicting your statement that they are not needed?

Edited by Mr.Late, 21 March 2013 - 04:11 PM.

Posted Image

Antalius

Antalius

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 492 posts
  • LocationLimbo

@Mr. Late, I take it you like Nintendo and its titles. I've never owned a Nintendo console but despite that, I respect (and like) it for the continuous attempts to evolve the way of playing instead of just specs. However, being the ignorant I am on nintendo titles too, I always get the sensation that it could offer more to its owners if it boosted specs a bit more too, compared to ps and xbox; i.e. zelda titles are awesome, mechanisms and all, but with better graphics the buyers pool would maybe enlarge even more. I know price is also an issue in these times but it's already by my standards not a cheap console, so spending a bit more on specs wouldn't make all the difference imo. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

"It's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you" - Batman begins

Good Emperor Late

Good Emperor Late

Russet Potato

• Donator
  • 344 posts
  • LocationThe end

@Mr. Late, I take it you like Nintendo and its titles. I've never owned a Nintendo console but despite that, I respect (and like) it for the continuous attempts to evolve the way of playing instead of just specs. However, being the ignorant I am on nintendo titles too, I always get the sensation that it could offer more to its owners if it boosted specs a bit more too, compared to ps and xbox; i.e. zelda titles are awesome, mechanisms and all, but with better graphics the buyers pool would maybe enlarge even more. I know price is also an issue in these times but it's already by my standards not a cheap console, so spending a bit more on specs wouldn't make all the difference imo. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, it would cost quite a bit to boost up Wii U. You know? They put their effort in a thing that Sony and Microsoft seem to have long forgotten. Innovation. The innovation came up with the gamepad. The gamepad uses up a lot of Alien technology, which is why the Wii U is quite expensive, eventhough the specs are not THAT beasty, still more powerfull than current gen, is it that hard for people to believe that next gen console is more powerfull than current gen? Yes, the CPU is less powerfull, but the GPU is much more powerfull and Wii U has much better graphics card. Criterion made the Most Wanted "port" for wii U. It's getting better reviews than the originals, because it has better graphics. Eventhough i'm not a graphics whore, it's good to note that, if a developer puts effort into a port, the port can be really good. Anyway to my point, the gamepad can run the games without the TV and all with 1/60 second latency. That's some impressive feat. Nintendo had the choise of doing something new with the gameplay or make a really powerfull console. They took the first option. People seem to forget that EVERYTHING has been a "gimmick" once. Like those Analog sticks. People once said that "that analog gimmick won't last". I rest my case, my friend.

P.S I respect Sony and Micromoneygrubbingsevershuttingdownsoft. But i really dislike their ignorant communities, which in turn, make me dislike the console.

Innovation costs just as much as powerfull specs. Nintedo takes risks, Sony plays it safe with new PS4 thats really just PS3 on steoroids(plus you can't transfer data to PS4 from PS3? Are you fucking kidding me? poor PS3 owners...). We'll see how Microsoft will answer.  

Posted Image

Rol

Rol

Oui Purée

• Donator
  • 3,270 posts

The Wii U use a lot of Alien technology...
284374f558f572ff33.jpg

wtjpw658v4xz.gif

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

Equine non grata

• Members
  • 3,853 posts
  • LocationSan Escobar

gaming thread (...) talk about other consoles

Well... there are PCs too... (but let's not bring console vs pc fight here, so I'll agree with you on that)

/me saying they're not needed

Just to clarify, by 'needed' I mean things you need to lead more or less normal life - so while there are people who can't think of living without this or that form of entertainment (or they found a new, addicting toy), if we took it away from them they'd simply adapt to live without it.

/me having opinion

No condtradiction here IMO. Importance/unimportance of things doesn't prevent one from forming opinions about them.

Since I'm equally negative about everything nowadays (wasn't trying to attack anything in particular) and I originally only wanted to point out that higher sales don't necessarily mean something is better, if you want to further discuss my choice of words then let's take it somewhere else.

Mod-in-Disguise

FlQCNQa.gif

You <3

Whoever decided to delete this was an idiot.

| Handwritten kanji recognition || KanjiTomo || Kanji converter || J<->E Dictionary |

Nero Faust

Nero Faust

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 12 posts

I'm neither sure nor do I care at this point. Traditionally a new era in gaming doesn't start until Nintendo says it does. However, it's hard to define the next stage as next generation consoles given that Sony and Microsoft are trying to steer their systems in other directions. Hell anyone who has an XBox live account should have noticed that the game que keeps getting pushed farther and father behind movies, music, and television. Jimquisition can explain it better than I.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4tO3_C0SfM

jeffhardywork.png

Antalius

Antalius

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 492 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Well, it would cost quite a bit to boost up Wii U. You know? They put their effort in a thing that Sony and Microsoft seem to have long forgotten. Innovation. The innovation came up with the gamepad. The gamepad uses up a lot of Alien technology, which is why the Wii U is quite expensive, eventhough the specs are not THAT beasty, still more powerfull than current gen, is it that hard for people to believe that next gen console is more powerfull than current gen? Yes, the CPU is less powerfull, but the GPU is much more powerfull and Wii U has much better graphics card. Criterion made the Most Wanted "port" for wii U. It's getting better reviews than the originals, because it has better graphics. Eventhough i'm not a graphics whore, it's good to note that, if a developer puts effort into a port, the port can be really good. Anyway to my point, the gamepad can run the games without the TV and all with 1/60 second latency. That's some impressive feat. Nintendo had the choise of doing something new with the gameplay or make a really powerfull console. They took the first option. People seem to forget that EVERYTHING has been a "gimmick" once. Like those Analog sticks. People once said that "that analog gimmick won't last". I rest my case, my friend.

P.S I respect Sony and Micromoneygrubbingsevershuttingdownsoft. But i really dislike their ignorant communities, which in turn, make me dislike the console.

Innovation costs just as much as powerfull specs. Nintedo takes risks, Sony plays it safe with new PS4 thats really just PS3 on steoroids(plus you can't transfer data to PS4 from PS3? Are you fucking kidding me? poor PS3 owners...). We'll see how Microsoft will answer.  

Thx for infos I didn't know about. Nintendo is the brand that invested more in playing ways innovation. There are however some titles in the Sony library that are plenty innovative too: flower, journey, one about music I forgot the title about(never owned a ps3). Microsoft is the console I like the least nowadays and most commerce oriented one too; liked their precision in making Kinect(some medics use it to teach operations mechanics to students) but its titles aren't hardcore, not even 1 of'em. The concept, I know, was taken from playstation eye which was taken from gamecube webcam tech. Liked the gamecube a lot and still do nowadays. 

Side-note: Sega Dreamcast had a built-in controller screen too, js.

"It's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you" - Batman begins

Good Emperor Late

Good Emperor Late

Russet Potato

• Donator
  • 344 posts
  • LocationThe end

Yeah. Innovation is the key.

yeah, sega had that. But Nintendo innovated on it. Like most motion gaming innovated from the power glove.

Now that i think about "gen". Wii U didn't start the gen. Vita and 3DS did. That makes this whole thread invalid. So could maybe vote for "No", for that reason. But just to be spitefull against some ignorant people in PS3 and 360 community, i rather vote "Yes". As it they seem to think that "gen" will magically start only when the console that they prefer start it. Such arrogance, really. *facepalm*

Posted Image

Rol

Rol

Oui Purée

• Donator
  • 3,270 posts

I don't think the portable consoles can be treated as gen, since we're not talking about the same category. There are portable console gen and console gen. You can't compare something that is so diferent.

wtjpw658v4xz.gif

Good Emperor Late

Good Emperor Late

Russet Potato

• Donator
  • 344 posts
  • LocationThe end

Rol, you can think it like that, or be simple about it. Why protables are called consoles again? Oh yeah, because they ARE consoles. By definition there's no real separation(other than you can carry the other one with you) between a portable console and a home one. When the first gen of consoles started there was no portables. When the first portable, gameboy came it was the third console generation and thus was called 3rd gen. There was no separation then and of course there won't be now.

What do you with a portable? Play games? What do you do with a home one? Play games? Yeah, i don't see difference neither, which makes my whole point of this thread being invalid all the more valid.

Edited by Mr.Late, 27 March 2013 - 03:28 AM.

Posted Image

oceana

oceana

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 471 posts

Wii U is definitally not something for the next generation. I honestly only know one other person who has purchased a Wii U. And as much of the hardcore gamer I am - I haven't even considered buying it, along with my younger sibling who is as much of a gamer as I am.

To your left is a batch of cookies, and towards your right is a hall filled with doom. Which do you chose?

Rol

Rol

Oui Purée

• Donator
  • 3,270 posts

No don't say that oceana you're gonna piss off Mr. Late xD Get ready for the fanboy attack o/

And about portable consoles, I understand what you say and I've nothing to counter argument, but I just don't see them this way. And you can always try to convince me, it's a feeling, it cannot be changed with logic. It's stupid but it's the way it is.

wtjpw658v4xz.gif

Good Emperor Late

Good Emperor Late

Russet Potato

• Donator
  • 344 posts
  • LocationThe end

No don't say that oceana you're gonna piss off Mr. Late xD Get ready for the fanboy attack o/

And about portable consoles, I understand what you say and I've nothing to counter argument, but I just don't see them this way. And you can always try to convince me, it's a feeling, it cannot be changed with logic. It's stupid but it's the way it is.

Troll logic?

Wii U is definitally not something for the next generation. I honestly only know one other person who has purchased a Wii U. And as much of the hardcore gamer I am - I haven't even considered buying it, along with my younger sibling who is as much of a gamer as I am.

Yo, i'm not here to force you to buy a Wii U, but you do realize that a console won't sell 50 million in 4 months? It sold better than 360 and PS3 during it's first 4months? That would mean that the Vita is not console at all with it's slugging sales in the west. *rolls eyes, looks at Rol*

So? So what that your brother is younger than you? Are you going to play Zombi U, Assasins Creed, Call Of Duty with him, if you'd buy a Wii U? Oh right. He's too young.

Yeah, i'm sarcastic. Just trying to make you guys see that just MAYBE you should think more openly.

AHHHH Monster Hunter, i'm going to sleep with U! *looks at Rol again, trollface* I couldn't resist...

Posted Image

oceana

oceana

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 471 posts

Yo, i'm not here to force you to buy a Wii U, but you do realize that a console won't sell 50 million in 4 months? It sold better than 360 and PS3 during it's first 4months? That would mean that the Vita is not console at all with it's slugging sales in the west. *rolls eyes, looks at Rol*

So? So what that your brother is younger than you? Are you going to play Zombi U, Assasins Creed, Call Of Duty with him, if you'd buy a Wii U? Oh right. He's too young.

Yeah, i'm sarcastic. Just trying to make you guys see that just MAYBE you should think more openly.

AHHHH Monster Hunter, i'm going to sleep with U! *looks at Rol again, trollface* I couldn't resist...

Whoa whoa whoa. First of all, I have a younger sister (I would personally not want to see her play those kinds of games anyways and she is waaay to young) I was just trying to say that the Will U is not something as a "must buy" for generally most households so therefore it is not something that the first generation is gonna grow on. There are many new different types of consoles and hand held consoles that keep coming out. The rise and creation of this will make the next generation keep constantly buying and changing - not exactly planting their roots into the Wii U per-say. 

Edited by oceana, 30 March 2013 - 04:15 AM.

To your left is a batch of cookies, and towards your right is a hall filled with doom. Which do you chose?

Good Emperor Late

Good Emperor Late

Russet Potato

• Donator
  • 344 posts
  • LocationThe end

Whoa whoa whoa. First of all, I have a younger sister (I would personally not want to see her play those kinds of games anyways and she is waaay to young) I was just trying to say that the Will U is not something as a "must buy" for generally most households so therefore it is not something that the first generation is gonna grow on. There are many new different types of consoles and hand held consoles that keep coming out. The rise and creation of this will make the next generation keep constantly buying and changing - not exactly planting their roots into the Wii U per-say. 

I see. You should have made that more clear, mate! Every console is not nessesary to a household. Wii U has different perpective on things, which a like. This suposed "next gen" will be boring, atleast so far. PS4 shouldn't focus so much on features... GAMES I TELL YOU. It's like people forgot, why people buy consoles. GAMES ANYONE?! Not the prosessing power.

Also this might be the last console generation. After this it might get doozy, console computers, or something.

Not going to grow on Wii U? What do you mean? You do realize it could become a big thing, if the ammount good game will be high? "Not gona grow on" is purely based on an opinion. As of now, it seems, that nintendo is getting an Install base. Not too big, but not too small. Nintedo, i'm pretty sure, will market the hell out of Wii U, when PS4 and 720 hit the shelves. THEN generation really starts. People will riot on the streets.

On that note, i don't "next gen" starts until all the consoles are on the table. Kinda weird to have a console war, when 2 sides still lack the base.

And still, generation means "the next wave" not the next prosessing power. Just putting it out there.

Btw, before judging a console or anything, you should first try it. 

Posted Image

oceana

oceana

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 471 posts

I see. You should have made that more clear, mate! Every console is not nessesary to a household. Wii U has different perpective on things, which a like. This suposed "next gen" will be boring, atleast so far. PS4 shouldn't focus so much on features... GAMES I TELL YOU. It's like people forgot, why people buy consoles. GAMES ANYONE?! Not the prosessing power.

Also this might be the last console generation. After this it might get doozy, console computers, or something.

Not going to grow on Wii U? What do you mean? You do realize it could become a big thing, if the ammount good game will be high? "Not gona grow on" is purely based on an opinion. As of now, it seems, that nintendo is getting an Install base. Not too big, but not too small. Nintedo, i'm pretty sure, will market the hell out of Wii U, when PS4 and 720 hit the shelves. THEN generation really starts. People will riot on the streets.

On that note, i don't "next gen" starts until all the consoles are on the table. Kinda weird to have a console war, when 2 sides still lack the base.

And still, generation means "the next wave" not the next prosessing power. Just putting it out there.

Btw, before judging a console or anything, you should first try it. 

I personally am not able to say much since I do not own a Wii U myself, or discussed the Wii U with any of my friends or peers who do own one to get an general idea of it. The most I have to base on is commercials and reviews about it up until now. I read this thread and other sources briefly to refresh myself and I have come up with this thought. 

The Wii U possesses great potential to those who are willing to buy it. It's idea is fresh as it combines the thought of a handheld console and a nonportable console. The problem is is that, as several have stated, Nintendo has not done the best job of marketing the Wii U and "setting the line and hook" for hardcore gamers. For some gamers haven't even considered going out and buying it at even their local store or online. 

What the Wii U needs is a very promising looking game to come out only available on a Wii U platform - this would certainty get many hyped up in hopes to play that new game, but if only they had the Wii U... Is what some consumers may think.

I'm not saying that that is the only way for Nintendo to market the Wii U, but they certainly need to step up their plate. 

Rol

Rol

Oui Purée

• Donator
  • 3,270 posts

Troll logic?

Hmmm ? No, no logic at all, I just won't see them as consoles like the Xbox or the PS3 that's all ^^ It's not something I can control if you prefer it said like that.

And stop teasing me with Monster Hunter T_T

See oceana, I told you he was gonna answer xD Nintendo fanboys are always here to defend their products o/ (And don't say you're not a fanboy, because you are \o/)

wtjpw658v4xz.gif

Good Emperor Late

Good Emperor Late

Russet Potato

• Donator
  • 344 posts
  • LocationThe end

I personally am not able to say much since I do not own a Wii U myself, or discussed the Wii U with any of my friends or peers who do own one to get an general idea of it. The most I have to base on is commercials and reviews about it up until now. I read this thread and other sources briefly to refresh myself and I have come up with this thought. 

The Wii U possesses great potential to those who are willing to buy it. It's idea is fresh as it combines the thought of a handheld console and a nonportable console. The problem is is that, as several have stated, Nintendo has not done the best job of marketing the Wii U and "setting the line and hook" for hardcore gamers. For some gamers haven't even considered going out and buying it at even their local store or online. 

What the Wii U needs is a very promising looking game to come out only available on a Wii U platform - this would certainty get many hyped up in hopes to play that new game, but if only they had the Wii U... Is what some consumers may think.

I'm not saying that that is the only way for Nintendo to market the Wii U, but they certainly need to step up their plate. 

Like i said, Nintendo will market the hell out the Wii U, when the other consoles come out. People don't seem to get this. I'm it's genious. You have an install base AND then all of a sudden you are going to market? Plus Wii U will have it's "growing in" problems in the past, you know, toddler pains of a console, AND a lot of games allready.

Seeing how promising the games are as of now, it's looking good. If you look up "Nintendo Direct" 23.01.2013, you'll see how many games are coming out. HD ZELDA :D! Sure,  a remake, but still! And a new X game!! :D

But anyway, i hope you'll try the console in the future! You'll be suprised. Like i was.

Hmmm ? No, no logic at all, I just won't see them as consoles like the Xbox or the PS3 that's all ^^ It's not something I can control if you prefer it said like that.

And stop teasing me with Monster Hunter T_T

See oceana, I told you he was gonna answer xD Nintendo fanboys are always here to defend their products o/ (And don't say you're not a fanboy, because you are \o/)

Rol, are you serious or not? Is defending a console fanboyish now? I have never said anything bad about other consoles? Why can't i defend it? You do realize that PS3 and 360 fanboys, who constantly bomb Nintendo fans are the reason we are on the defencive?

How do you define a "fanboy", Rol?

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Rathalos and Rathian quest was so FUN!

Edited by Mr.Late, 30 March 2013 - 12:42 PM.

Posted Image