Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Does the Next Gen Start with the Wii U?

Game Wii U

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Poll: Is Wii U the start of the Next Gen? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Does the Next Generation Start with the Wii U?

1. Yes (6 votes [31.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.58%

2. No (13 votes [68.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 68.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Catbug

Catbug

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationBear Island, the seat of House Mormont.
As you all know, the Wii U comes out this Sunday. I personally am not hype for the release although it is a brand new piece of hardware and I love getting the latest tech. I have also noticed that a vast majority are also as not excited like me in the Wii U. In fact there seems to be a lot of cynicism towards launch. Which I don't understand I always thought the start of a new generation of consoles was suppose to get people really hyped up and excited. Was it always like this, this way? I was young in the 90's I can't remember the launches of early systems like the Super Nintendo, Sega Saturn even the Nintendo 64. We're people this cynical back then as they are now?

Or are most Gamers have become so jaded?
"‎I don't know if you've ever let someone down, got your ass kicked or straight up failed. But those are the moments that define us. They push you further than you've ever thought possible, and force you to make choices. No matter what the cost."
Posted ImagePosted Image

Waller

Waller

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 9 posts
Considering that there's no longer any pre-orders available for the Wii U anymore... I wouldn't say people aren't looking forward to it.

The internet is always cynical about everything.

foxyeisenhower

foxyeisenhower

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 795 posts
  • LocationKONY 2013 STOP SOPA RIP Spider-man too soon
WiiU has no ultra popular launch titles and so it hasn't charmed the "gamers" yet
WiiU won't outsell the wii. the Wii was a revolutionary foray into a new audience and it came bundled with an awesome game. It was sold out for months on end

I guess what it comes down to is normal people don't follow companies as zealously as "gamers" and they already have a wii

all it takes is one awesome nostalgic title to get this rolling for gamers though. I predict Kirby canvas curse
Spoiler

Antalius

Antalius

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 492 posts
  • LocationLimbo
Some hardcore gamers consider it a second-class console because of its hardware traits in comparison to the rumored ones of the PS4 and xbox 720, also because many of the launch titles are playable also on the previous generation ones (Batman: Arkham City, AS 3...). The same happened for the Wii which sold anyway remarkably well.
I personally think the attitude is wrong because we still don't know what the console is really capable of and also a console isn't described only by hardware but also the quantity and most importantly quality of its titles.
"It's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you" - Batman begins

Good Emperor Late

Good Emperor Late

Russet Potato

• Donator
  • 344 posts
  • LocationThe end
Technically it allready strated with the 3DS and Vita in 2011, but yeah. Yeah, it has started. Even, if it's not a beast of a console, it still has it's own unique features. And right now, there seem to be a flood of games coming for it.

But it's funny how people react. Wii U gets AC3, Mass effect and Arkham city. Everybody is like "Old gaaaameeess". PS4 gets a port of over a year old Diablo 3, "Everybody is happy". I just see that PS3 and 360 communties have this weird habit on trolling, much moreso than Nin community. And i think thats good. Just goes to show, which community has bigger brains.

Posted Image

Rol

Rol

Oui Purée

• Donator
  • 3,270 posts
I just don't like Nintendo so I'll say no :P And if we separate the generations of consoles based on the technology, no it's not. It doesn't mean that it's it's a bad console (I think it is but I didn't try it and I am not objective) just that it's not the next gen.

wtjpw658v4xz.gif

Buck-san

Buck-san

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationWherever I'm currently located...
There wasn't much excitment because some of the Wii U's tech specs got released before it hit shelves. It was pretty much next gen in name only. The graphical capabilities are about on par with a current gen xbox and the processing power is about the same too if not a little less. And having to save on SD cards outside of a small internal harddrive space didn't excite very many. It's hardly next gen at all just an attempt at improving the the Wii. I like nintendo, bu they can't seem to get consoles together properly these days. At least they're handhelds are still reliable.

13799484.1178748.gif

Good Emperor Late

Good Emperor Late

Russet Potato

• Donator
  • 344 posts
  • LocationThe end

I just don't like Nintendo so I'll say no :P And if we separate the generations of consoles based on the technology, no it's not. It doesn't mean that it's it's a bad console (I think it is but I didn't try it and I am not objective) just that it's not the next gen.

So what you're saying, you are a subjective person, who doesn't look at the big picture, who is a nintendo hater and have not tried to console. Why do you think your words should have any weight? And from now on, instead of complaining about graphics, the next gen will be a debate of, who has the better prosessor than the other? Wow, then, i am not looking forward for the PS4 and nextbox. They will be crappy low-end PC's at the time anyway, when they will release. And THEN i hope both of them sells badly. Because with that this idiocy will stop and Nintendo will be king. Atleast the overall, the earth will be smarter.
I have no i'll will against Sony or nextbox. But if people really think like this... -1 humanity.
Also, Rol, i don't have anything against you, just try to be more open-minded than that, friend. :S Don't become one of then PSXBOX troll drones! PLEASE!

There wasn't much excitment because some of the Wii U's tech specs got released before it hit shelves. It was pretty much next gen in name only. The graphical capabilities are about on par with a current gen xbox and the processing power is about the same too if not a little less. And having to save on SD cards outside of a small internal harddrive space didn't excite very many. It's hardly next gen at all just an attempt at improving the the Wii. I like nintendo, bu they can't seem to get consoles together properly these days. At least they're handhelds are still reliable.

You do realize that Graphics won't matter nextgen? Every console will have 1080p? You do realize that Nintendo went n to bring SOMETHING new to the table? Are really only for the specs of the prosessor? That gamepad, you realize that technology like that is Alien? You know, innovative? You know? The thing, why technology is evolving? You do realize you can get a terabyte of space for like 50 bucks? And it's more expensive to put one in a console than buy your own external?
"These days"? What do you mean? Wii didn't have A LOT of good games? It was a bad console? Explain why it was bad? And because it didn't have as good graphics you didn't care to check some of the more niche games? People really take this stuff out of the ass. Did you know that Wii U has allready sold about 4 million? Thats pretty good in this economy? Vita has only sold 4.5 million as comparison?
Do i need to stress it out that i'm not a fanboy? You lot are just so illogical that it hurts.

Edited by Mr.Late, 16 March 2013 - 09:33 PM.

Posted Image

Rol

Rol

Oui Purée

• Donator
  • 3,270 posts

Just quoting so you get a notif to see that I answered you since it seems you didn't expect it ^^

If I say I'm subjective it's a precaution, because I didn't want anyone to take my words too seriously, and like you said, i don't think my words should have any weight. What I say is that, usually, the gens are divided by the "level" of their technology. If we divide them based on this characteristic, no the Wii U is not the next gen. If you want to use another characteristic to define the generations of console, feel free to do it, after all everything depends on the point of view. If you classify generations by the innovation of the gameplay, then sure the Wii U might be he next gen.
When I say i don't like Nintendo, it's because I don't like or play any of their games. I shouldn't have said it this way, it make it seems like I'm just a Nintendo hater. i'm not, I just don't play Nintendo games since I don't have a DS or a Wii (I had one but it doesn't work anymore). The few games I played on the Wii were Ookami, Zelda Twilight Princess and Monster Hunter 3. Also, I usually say that I don't like Nintendo because I feel like they just redo games of the same license over and over, but that's not the subject.
What could be said in their favor is that they try to innovate in term of gameplay, but I don't really like what they made with the new controller, but I didn't test it so my opinion is just based on what I saw/heard. And don't make me say what I didn't, I don't say it's bad, I say that i don't like it. I'm not really the target customer of Nintendo, I prefer a good old controller or keyboard/mouse to play a game. And I always feel like the Wii has this image of being a casual console, maybe it's not true, but it's the way many people see it.

Edited by Rol, 16 March 2013 - 09:46 PM.

wtjpw658v4xz.gif

Good Emperor Late

Good Emperor Late

Russet Potato

• Donator
  • 344 posts
  • LocationThe end

If I say I'm subjective it's a precaution, because I didn't want anyone to take my words too seriously, and like you said, i don't think my words should have any weight. What I say is that, usually, the gens are divided by the "level" of their technology. If we divide them based on this characteristic, no the Wii U is not the next gen. If you want to use another characteristic to define the generations of console, feel free to do it, after all everything depends on the point of view. If you classify generations by the innovation of the gameplay, then sure the Wii U might be he next gen.
When I say i don't like Nintendo, it's because I don't like or play any of their games. I shouldn't have said it this way, it make it seems like I'm just a Nintendo hater. i'm not, I just don't play Nintendo games since I don't have a DS or a Wii (I had one but it doesn't work anymore). The few games I played on the Wii were Ookami, Zelda Twilight Princess and Monster Hunter 3. Also, I usually say that I don't like Nintendo because I feel like they just redo games of the same license over and over, but that's not the subject.
What could be said in their favor is that they try to innovate in term of gameplay, but I don't really like what they made with the new controller, but I didn't test it so my opinion is just based on what I saw/heard. And don't make me say what I didn't, I don't say it's bad, I say that i don't like it. I'm not really the target customer of Nintendo, I prefer a good old controller or keyboard/mouse to play a game. And I always feel like the Wii has this image of being a casual console, maybe it's not true, but it's the way many people see it.

And where have you got this idea that "gen" is devided by how strong the console is? You do realize that console "gen" has been ALLWAYS devided by not "specs" but by "time" this is not an opinion. it's a fact. If you devide by "specs* THEN i can argue that PS1 was one gen lower than N64 and PS2 was one gen lower than Gamecube and Xbox. You do know that Xbox was, some say, even by a lot, stronger console than PS2? You still want to devide them by specs after reading this? "gen" devided by "specs" is flawed and illogical. This is not matter of opinion, man. It's a fact.
Moreover before people just argued than Wii is last gen because of graphics, which, in a sense, i could understand(you could see it and stuff). And now they argue the fact that "prosessor is more crappy"??? What? Now that the games won't look that different between consoles it suddenly is like that? I see it as some people just want somekind of "excuse" to not call Wii U "next gen". The one, who started the whole "spec gen" thing should kill himself ten times over. There would be a lot less trolls, and less flame wars. This gen is gen "8" of video game consoles now.
Moreover Wii U IS more powefull than current gen. Did you know that Wii Us GPU is really good? So it's centered around GPU rather than the CPU? It has a good graphics card too, better than the current gen, if sources are right.
I see. Just gona say that Wii U is much better console than Wii ever was. I remember buying Wii back in the day, was very excited. Later somewhat dissapointed with the games. Wii U on the other hand.. Really holding my attention. You should give it a try. Yes, i understand your argument about the controller, i was worried about it too. Actually, i was really suprised by how right it is. The gamepad really gives a lot of oportunities for new gameplay. Moreover, RTS games could work really well with this pad, inventory screen on the pad, minimaps, info. You don't need to go trough those annnoying menus too. It's really convinient.
Btw, making the same franchises all the time? A 3D mario comes with 3-5 years apart, new zelda 3D about 5 years apart from each other? Supe smash bros has a whopping 6-7 years apart rate? You like assasins creed? How many of those since 2007? And now, a year after creed, allready creed4? Are you contradicting yourself?
Also i think it's much worse, if Sony and Microsoft won't bring ANYTHING new to the table. That means nothing will improve in the long run.
PLEASE ANSWER MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, there is so many people that won't answer... ROL! PROVE THAT YOU ARE THE COUNTER ARGUMENT ANGEL!

Edited by Mr.Late, 16 March 2013 - 10:23 PM.

Posted Image

Rol

Rol

Oui Purée

• Donator
  • 3,270 posts
They maybe have lots of years apart, but they've been here since a loooooong time, haven't they ? ^^ It feels like nintendo doesn't want to abandon those licenses because they make too much money with them, and don't really innovate on them. Again, this is just an opinion based on what I see/hear since I don't play the games, so I know I can be wrong.
And for your argument about the creed series, the teams working on the games are not the same, that's why they can go out a t such a rate. But I agree that one a year is a bit... too much but what can I do about it ? hat's why when I finished Revelations I thought the series was over and that it would become shitty, but the 3 gave me hope again ^^
And I don't know anything about the techs of the Wii U, I don't even know what the GPU and the CPU handle, so I can't really argue on that. An I think that in the mind of people, new gen = better technology. You said time defines the gens but, usually, a long time between different consoles implies that the new one will have better technology.
And sorry I'm no the counter argument angel since I don't really know many things about the Wii U, it didn't interest me so I didn't did many research on it. And a thing that bothered me... Why is there only one pad per console ? I saw an ad where it could be used in a game but it was a Wii party game or something like that so... The idea of inviting friends over to play and be the only one with the new controller while the others have Wii controllers... It would make feel bad x)

wtjpw658v4xz.gif

Good Emperor Late

Good Emperor Late

Russet Potato

• Donator
  • 344 posts
  • LocationThe end

They maybe have lots of years apart, but they've been here since a loooooong time, haven't they ? ^^ It feels like nintendo doesn't want to abandon those licenses because they make too much money with them, and don't really innovate on them. Again, this is just an opinion based on what I see/hear since I don't play the games, so I know I can be wrong.
And for your argument about the creed series, the teams working on the games are not the same, that's why they can go out a t such a rate. But I agree that one a year is a bit... too much but what can I do about it ? hat's why when I finished Revelations I thought the series was over and that it would become shitty, but the 3 gave me hope again ^^
And I don't know anything about the techs of the Wii U, I don't even know what the GPU and the CPU handle, so I can't really argue on that. An I think that in the mind of people, new gen = better technology. You said time defines the gens but, usually, a long time between different consoles implies that the new one will have better technology.
And sorry I'm no the counter argument angel since I don't really know many things about the Wii U, it didn't interest me so I didn't did many research on it. And a thing that bothered me... Why is there only one pad per console ? I saw an ad where it could be used in a game but it was a Wii party game or something like that so... The idea of inviting friends over to play and be the only one with the new controller while the others have Wii controllers... It would make feel bad x)

Yes they have. But the fact remains; That they have only been 8 Zelda games on homeconsoles, during 27 years. How many, if i may ask, assasin creed games have come out since 2005? the innovation in Nintendo games is subtle. And what exactly the innovate in creed games? I'm pretty sure it's subtle there too. What about Elder Scrolls? That one has the samekind of release frequency as Zelda, is old too, and it's innovation is just about like that of Zelda games? Why aren't you complaining about that? You see? They allways complain about nintendo games, but never about others. Insecure much?
Yeah? What do you mean by not the same team? Another develor will make creed4?
Yes. And Wii U has some alien technology. New technology that we have NOT seen on other consoles. That technology would have cost a fortune 7 years ago? And that doesn't count all of a sudden? Just the "specs"? Before the "graphics"? Don't go with the masses, man.
Yes, it's a little bummer on that one. But you can actually use 2 gamepads + 4 wii remotes in theory. At the moment there is no games that use 2 gamepads. But still, you can have up to 6 players playing. Nintendo land uses 1 gampad + 4 wii remotes. Feel bad? Why? Go see Nintendo land gameplay.
Also, have you seen how the Zombie U plays out? Aren't you interested in that kind of gameplay?

Posted Image

Rol

Rol

Oui Purée

• Donator
  • 3,270 posts
Not, it's the same dev, Ubisoft, but it's a different team within the company, different people. Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 were really different, but I agree after it didn't really innovate much, only in subtle ways.
I guess you're right about the other games, maybe I was too focused on Nintendo still making new Zelda games x) The one thing that made me think that is that I have played Twilight Princess and when I saw Ocarina videos, i saw exactly the same things I did at some points in Twilight Princess, that's why it "shocked" me.
And no, as I said, I'm not really into innovative gameplay, I'm more of a controller/keyboard person, I don't even know Zombie U is played. But maybe it's good, I don't know. In a few years, if I have enough money maybe I'll buy the Wii U and test it out, but right now it's not on top of my priorities ^^ And I'm not really interested in party games, it's really not what I like to play.

Edited by Rol, 16 March 2013 - 11:27 PM.

wtjpw658v4xz.gif

Good Emperor Late

Good Emperor Late

Russet Potato

• Donator
  • 344 posts
  • LocationThe end

Not, it's the same dev, Ubisoft, but it's a different team within the company, different people. Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 were really different, but I agree after it didn't really innovate much, only in subtle ways.
I guess you're right about the other games, maybe I was too focused on Nintendo still making new Zelda games x) The one thing that made me think that is that I have played Twilight Princess and when I saw Ocarina videos, i saw exactly the same things I did at some points in Twilight Princess, that's why it "shocked" me.
And no, as I said, I'm not really into innovative gameplay, I'm more of a controller/keyboard person, I don't even know Zombie U is played. But maybe it's good, I don't know. In a few years, if I have enough money maybe I'll buy the Wii U and test it out, but right now it's not on top of my priorities ^^ And I'm not really interested in party games, it's really not what I like to play.

Yaay. You saw my point ;D
Ocarina for the 3DS was a remake?
Well, the gamepad has all the analog sticks and all the buttons. So it is a controller. It just has a big touch screen. Did you know that it weights about the same as a Xbox360 controller?
Moreover, there's very few party games coming out. Right now, Watch dogs, bayonetta 2, pikmin 3(rts), lego undercover(lego gta), Monster Hunter U, Wind Waker HD(first HD zelda), oh and the next need for speed Most Wanted game :D Getting good games and stuff. You should try :D

Posted Image

Rol

Rol

Oui Purée

• Donator
  • 3,270 posts
i should but I don't have the money for :D x) And the controller really bothers me, it's like having a second console in my hands x) Anyway, it's a bit off-topic so let's stop here :P

wtjpw658v4xz.gif

Good Emperor Late

Good Emperor Late

Russet Potato

• Donator
  • 344 posts
  • LocationThe end

i should but I don't have the money for :D x) And the controller really bothers me, it's like having a second console in my hands x) Anyway, it's a bit off-topic so let's stop here :P

Controller is really good. Don't say it bothers you, untill you have actually tried it.

Anyway, TO ALL NINTENDO HATERS!! GEN DOES NOT MEAN "specs"!!!! Thanks you.

SIDE NOTE! Wii U has sold more consoles during past 4 months than PS3360. Hahahaha. That just makes me smile. Sorry if a bit off topic. Just keep that in mind.

Edited by Mr.Late, 18 March 2013 - 11:02 PM.

Posted Image

Rol

Rol

Oui Purée

• Donator
  • 3,270 posts

Sales never meant anything to me. Call of Duty has the best sales in all video-games. But it's shitty. So "It sold more so it's better" isn't really an argument you should be going with ^^

Edited by Rol, 18 March 2013 - 11:05 PM.

wtjpw658v4xz.gif

Good Emperor Late

Good Emperor Late

Russet Potato

• Donator
  • 344 posts
  • LocationThe end

Sales never meant anything to me. Call of Duty has the best sales in all video-games. But it's shitty. So "It sold more so it's better" isn't really an argument you should be going with ^^

Yeah, but all the XboxPs3 fanboys make it seem like Wii U is in trouble, you know? Doom and gloom kind of stuff. And then BAM it sells more than either of them, eventhough it has no killer aps, has for now a small library iin cotrast to the competitors. Just kinda, you know, funny.

Posted Image

Rol

Rol

Oui Purée

• Donator
  • 3,270 posts

Well they're stupid, Nintendo will always be the best seller; they always are ^^ They're target is so wide (goes from young to families, etc...) they can't not sell.

wtjpw658v4xz.gif

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

Equine non grata

• Members
  • 3,853 posts
  • LocationSan Escobar

(...) it sells more than either of them, eventhough it has no killer aps, has for now a small library iin cotrast to the competitors.

It's called marketing, a.k.a. "How to persuade other people to buy something they don't really need". Just take a look at all these Hollywood movies...

Mod-in-Disguise

FlQCNQa.gif

You <3

Whoever decided to delete this was an idiot.

| Handwritten kanji recognition || KanjiTomo || Kanji converter || J<->E Dictionary |