Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

What to read until the break is over ... ?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Akasha

Akasha

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationGermany
So ... no ToG during SIUs break ... some interesteming suggestions for those that want to read some other Manga/Manhwa to waste some time until ToG is back (and maybe like the Manga/Manwa enough after spending some time with it to keep on reading)?

If this is the wrong forum for this kind of stuff, sorry and may a mod please move this topic somewhere else, then?

For starters, I would like to ask if there are suggestions for myself ... to give you some basic directions for your suggestions for Manga/Manhwa I might like: About the Mangas/Manhwas I currently read at least frequently ...

Kubera, Detectiv Conan, D. Gray-Man, Amatsuki, Soul Eater, Vampire Knight, Magician, Medeka Box, Soul Cartel, some "Tales of" stuff manga adaptions, some Type-moon stuff (Melty Blood X, Fate/Kaleid, etc.), To Aru Kagaku no Railgun and some minor stuff I currently don´t remember or don´t feel like mentioning and other stuff that takes so long for their respectiv release that one cannot say about themself that they "read it regulary" and other stuff that is long since finished.

Manga/Manhwa like HunterxHunter, Amatsuki, Spiral - Surri no Kizuna, Tower of God, Kubera, Mahou Sensei Negima (with far less fanservice, please ... it´s gets very silly and annoying) ecetera might be interestening ...

Manga/Manhwa like Berserk aren´t currently that well liked by me because I don´t feel like reading them right now ...

Thanks for your help.

Nero

Nero

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 304 posts
Magi - Labyrinth of Magic, you'll be kept sweet with 150+ chapters, awsome story and I think it might suit your taste.
Noblesse, manhwa and another keeper for the coming 2 weeks.

BoldChild

BoldChild

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 676 posts
God of Highschool

Biomeat - Nectar (This manga is completed, more of a horror type manga. It's about these creatures created by humans as a source of food and a way to get rid of garbage, they eat non stop, and they will eat anything except metal and glass, and they also multiply rapidly, like bacteria. One day, some of them manage to escape, and it causes disaster)

Blame! - Didn't know what was going on most of the time...but I enjoyed it somehow.

666 Satan/ O-parts in America (I didn't like how this ended)

Toriko (highly recommended)

The Breaker (highly recommended)

JFfDYT6.jpg

Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationFormer Tenochtitlan

So ... no ToG during SIUs break ... some interesteming suggestions for those that want to read some other Manga/Manhwa to waste some time until ToG is back (and maybe like the Manga/Manwa enough after spending some time with it to keep on reading)?

If this is the wrong forum for this kind of stuff, sorry and may a mod please move this topic somewhere else, then?

For starters, I would like to ask if there are suggestions for myself ... to give you some basic directions for your suggestions for Manga/Manhwa I might like: About the Mangas/Manhwas I currently read at least frequently ...

Kubera, Detectiv Conan, D. Gray-Man, Amatsuki, Soul Eater, Vampire Knight, Magician, Medeka Box, Soul Cartel, some "Tales of" stuff manga adaptions, some Type-moon stuff (Melty Blood X, Fate/Kaleid, etc.), To Aru Kagaku no Railgun and some minor stuff I currently don´t remember or don´t feel like mentioning and other stuff that takes so long for their respectiv release that one cannot say about themself that they "read it regulary" and other stuff that is long since finished.

Manga/Manhwa like HunterxHunter, Amatsuki, Spiral - Surri no Kizuna, Tower of God, Kubera, Mahou Sensei Negima (with far less fanservice, please ... it´s gets very silly and annoying) ecetera might be interestening ...

Manga/Manhwa like Berserk aren´t currently that well liked by me because I don´t feel like reading them right now ...

Thanks for your help.

I would suggest Black Lagoon. It is really an awesome manga/anime. You can see how the main character starts as a regular guy and starts getting more and more into a corrupted world. The interactions between the characters are really good. It is from the creators of Hellsing

You probably have already read Death Note, Full Metal Alchemist, Full Metal Panic. But if you haven´t read one of them I STRONGLY recommend them

Samurais? Vagabond, Rurouni Kenshin(a classic). You probably have already read or watched RK
Horror? Ghost Hunt. It is one of my favorite mangas. The ending of the first season is just amazing. They are like ghost detectives
Negima? Have you tried Love Hina? It´s from the same author
Have you tried the classic Dragon Quest? Action, adventure, fantasy

Edited by Cloud Strife, 23 October 2012 - 04:41 PM.

Hwa_Ryun_showing_both_eyes.png

Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 27 posts
Ganmaran if you like fights and no fan service 100-something chapters
magic kaito (was never finished but still a good read)

deBroglie

deBroglie

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 407 posts
Knight Run

Dresos

Dresos

Potato

• Members
  • 150 posts
All the chapters of the currently ongoing mangas I follow that comes out during that time, occaisionaly I'll find a good manga that I've yet to read but that's rare.

Some mangas you might enjoy that have not yet been mentioned:

Veritas, Break Blade, Flame of Recca, Yu Yu Hakusho, Immortal Regis, Id, Jackals, Kekkaishi, Law of Ueki, Law of Ueki Plus, Soul Eater, Soul Eater NOT, Ares, Nephilim John, Priest, Psycho Buster, Psyren, Battle Royal, Silvery Crow, Ubel Blatt, Until Death Do Us Part, Vinland Saga, Historie, Zan, Zombie Powder, Embalming - Another Tale of Frankenstein (it's by the same guy who made Rurouni Kenshin), Gamaran, FLAGS, En Passant, Defense Devil, Buster Keel, 1/2 Prince, Drifters (by the guy who made Hellsing), Kongou Banchou, Samurai Deeper Kyo, SWOT, Akaboshi - Ibun Suikoden, Aratama Tribe, ARAGO, Busou Renkin, Ga Rei, Rave Master, Kagijin, MÄR, MÄR Omega, Ragnarok, Blue Dragon: Ral Grado, Waq Waq, Black Lagoon.

Edited by Dresos, 23 October 2012 - 05:22 PM.

Will of NGE

Will of NGE

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,701 posts
  • LocationGeofront
Well, aside from what some people here have mentioned. Here are some more, I keep them saved, so if US tries and succeds in any of their dick-close-the-Internet moves, I have them with me.

Eureka 7
http://mangafox.me/manga/eureka_seven/
I like it more than the anime, a lot more actually.

Model
http://mangafox.me/manga/model/
Short, but long, slow paced and I loved it.

Vampire Girl
http://mangafox.me/manga/vampire_girl/
Definetly tragic.

Deep Love
http://mangafox.me/manga/deep_love_ayu_no_monogatari/
More tragedy, I know... I love tragedy.

Failytale of the Demon Lord
http://vatoto.com/comic/_/comics/a-fairytale-for-the-demon-lord-r867
Now this can get a bit confusing for some, but the art is great, and it's really interesting to read.

All of these are completed, and all of these have great endings, or at least endings I find fucking great.

Edited by Will of NGE, 23 October 2012 - 05:37 PM.

fkq1S2q.jpg

Gif Response Unit

Spoiler

Dresos

Dresos

Potato

• Members
  • 150 posts
Aah, I guess I should write something short about all the mangas I mentioned. :mellow: This will take some time.

Will of NGE

Will of NGE

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,701 posts
  • LocationGeofront

Aah, I guess I should write something short about all the mangas I mentioned. :mellow: This will take some time.

You gave the man too many choices dude xD You're supposed to give him light reading, it's only 2 weeks, we won't spend all that time reading.
That's why I've put short, and completed series there.
Though, some of them can all be quite depressing.... xD

Edited by Will of NGE, 23 October 2012 - 05:54 PM.

fkq1S2q.jpg

Gif Response Unit

Spoiler

Yawgmoth

Yawgmoth

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 546 posts
hm let s see
kubera, magician, ID-greatest fusion fantasy, immortal regis and cavalier of the abyss (one of them is finished the other is the continuation), magi, noblesse, gamaran, rosario and vampire, the breaker: new waves, a thousand years ninetails, dark air, dark mage, elemental gelade (erementar gerade, there r two different names out there for the same manga...), legend of tyr, nurarihyon no mago, reimei no arcana, yureka
there r some more though...

“Excellent. I know your heart now. You are mine.”

http://www.phyrexia.com/continuity/Yawgmoth.shtml

league of legend friend referral:
http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4c0fc60dcbae2

tog on naver in english:

http://m.comic.naver.com/en/list.html?titleId=183559

Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationFormer Tenochtitlan

Lol you gave him enough manga to wait until armaggedon happens, the dust that is stopping the sun has settle down and civilization starts again. Say something about the top 5, 10 options :D.

Oh! By the way I also recommend Liar Game, a lot of betrayal, scheming, etc. The other one I like a lot is Video Girl Ai, a girl appears from a magic video(obviosuly) to make you reach happiness, but something goes wrong and she is defective...

Edited by Cloud Strife, 23 October 2012 - 06:18 PM.

Hwa_Ryun_showing_both_eyes.png

Dresos

Dresos

Potato

• Members
  • 150 posts

All the chapters of the currently ongoing mangas I follow that comes out during that time, occaisionaly I'll find a good manga that I've yet to read but that's rare.

Some mangas you might enjoy that have not yet been mentioned:

Veritas, Break Blade, Flame of Recca, Yu Yu Hakusho, Immortal Regis, Id, Jackals, Kekkaishi, Law of Ueki, Law of Ueki Plus, Soul Eater, Soul Eater NOT, Ares, Nephilim John, Priest, Psycho Buster, Psyren, Battle Royal, Silvery Crow, Ubel Blatt, Until Death Do Us Part, Vinland Saga, Historie, Zan, Zombie Powder, Embalming - Another Tale of Frankenstein (it's by the same guy who made Rurouni Kenshin), Gamaran, FLAGS, En Passant, Defense Devil, Buster Keel, 1/2 Prince, Drifters (by the guy who made Hellsing), Kongou Banchou, Samurai Deeper Kyo, SWOT, Akaboshi - Ibun Suikoden, Aratama Tribe, ARAGO, Busou Renkin, Ga Rei, Rave Master, Kagijin, MÄR, MÄR Omega, Ragnarok, Blue Dragon: Ral Grado, Waq Waq, Black Lagoon.

Veritas. A martial art manga with some comedy and a lot of action.
Break Blade. A kind of medival mecha manga with some tragedy and some action.
Flame of Recca. A real classic with action, romance and adventure. (reminds me of HxH)
Yu Yu Haksuho. It's by the same guy that made HxH, if you like HxH you'll probably like this.
Immortal Regis. Action mostly, it's about a human that gets killed, turned into an undead and has to attend a sort of underworld school.
Id. Asian kung fu meets european fantasy, amazing action scenes.
Jackals. Mafia, bounty hunters, giant swords and a lot of action.
Kekkaishi. Young exorcists protects a magical piece of land and battles demons. Lots of action, comedy and some romance.
Law of Ueki and Law of Ueki Plus. Amazing comedy with some action and a lot of wierdness.
Soul Eater and Soul Eater NOT. Action, school life, romance and a lot more. It's about students of a school for people that can turn into weapons and their users.
Ares. It's about a young kid that joins a band of mercenarys and turns out to be quite the swords master, unique and amazing art style.
Nephilim John. By the same guy who made Ares, more of the same but this time with angels, demons and magic.
Priest. It's like Berserk in the wild west, since you didn't like Berserk you might not like it but... come on! Berserk with guns...
Psycho Buster. School kids with psychic powers on the run from an evil organisation.
Psyren. School kids that gets teleported into a mysterious world full of dangerous creatures, more psychic powers. Lots of good action though.
Battle Royal. A class of school children gets put on an island and told to kill each other. Tragedy, horror, romance and action.
Silvery Crow. A short manga about a bandit/thief with super strenght that's searching for a cure to a curse that's eating away at him, some action and romance.
Ubel Blatt. About a fallen hero that comes back for some revenge, lot's of action and some "romance" ( :P ).
Until Death Do Us Part. A young girl runs away from the yakuza and employs a blind swordsman to protect her, swords versus guns in a modern setting so expect some nice action, also romance.
Vinland Saga. A story about a young viking trying to avange his father, lot's of action.
Historie. A story from ancient greece about a young child that becomes a slave and his adventures, if you like mangas with lot's of history and protagonists that is more about brains you'll probably like this.
Zan. A short manga about a young boy in an alternate universe where everyone uses swords, some action.
Zombie Powder. Don't let the fact that it was made by Tite Kubo turn you away, this is a quality action and adventure manga.
I Will Probably continue with the rest of the summaries after I rest my poor fingers.

Will of NGE

Will of NGE

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,701 posts
  • LocationGeofront

Break Blade. A kind of medival mecha manga with some tragedy and some action.
Psyren. School kids that gets teleported into a mysterious world full of dangerous creatures, more psychic powers. Lots of good action though.

Oh, I forgot to mention Psyren, it's a good one :) For a reason. And it's completed. That gives it a plus.
And Break Blade is average... also it's not complete yet.

Edited by Will of NGE, 23 October 2012 - 06:46 PM.

fkq1S2q.jpg

Gif Response Unit

Spoiler

Euodiachloris

Euodiachloris

Mashed Potato

• Members
  • 7,336 posts
  • LocationUK
Monster hasn't come up, which surprises me: that's a good/ creepy read. :) Warning: you'd better have a strong liver... the Psychological Horror is... quite something. And, it's a bit shorter than, say... 20th Century Boys.

Um... I'm also a major Kubera fan, it must be said... Not completed, but, hey... <shrugs>

Uzumaki is a... weird little number. <_< It's completed and will creep you out as well as intrigue. :) Along similar lines is Soil... which... has Hiatus Syndrome like nothing else... so, you might not want to start that. :P

For something a bit... out there... Petshop of Horrors is, different. :) Worthwhile, though.

Aphorism is ongoing, but actually a really interesting little read... should it ever update in the next month or two. <_< I really recommend it, even if the odd slips leave me a little unhappy at times.

And.. heck: if you've got a real, burning need for funny, PG and D&D (and, it has to be admitted, a fair degree of Archive Hell to keep you occupied): Order of the Stick. Always and forever, best stick-figure webcomic you'll ever meet, bar none (sorry, xkcd: I love you, but you don't have the plot-hook OotS does). ;) And, I'll stand by that. :D

Edited by Euodiachloris, 23 October 2012 - 07:06 PM.

PlotCap.png

~:Euo will do instead of my whole handle:~

Scanlation-author collaboration not possible?  Nope: it's doable... try Trace and vote with your feet to try to get more like this.

Xagnam

Xagnam

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 967 posts
  • LocationTartarus
I guess I'll read MX0 again...

Posted Image

Edited by Xagnam, 23 October 2012 - 06:58 PM.

XrO2U3z.png

Let us connect our hearts into One.

paraquat

paraquat

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 238 posts
  • LocationCashin a keg of Natty Ice with Fratmaster Urek "The Man"zino

Monster hasn't come up, which surprises me: that's a good/ creepy read. :) Warning: you'd better have a strong liver... the Psychological Horror is... quite something. And, it's a bit shorter than, say... 20th Century Boys.

As long as we're on the subject of Naoki Urasawa I'd have to give my recommendation for Billy Bat. It took me a couple reads to really figure out what was going on, but it's a lot of fun trying to unravel the various plot elements, and at 88 chapters so far, it shouldn't take long to read.

Also it's been said a couple times, but OP would probably really enjoy Noblesse. You can't really go wrong with a plot that starts with a vampire waking up after 800 years, going to high school, and then having everything go crazy from there.

"Koichi really steals! No dignity!" - Jusuke Josder

Euodiachloris

Euodiachloris

Mashed Potato

• Members
  • 7,336 posts
  • LocationUK

As long as we're on the subject of Naoki Urasawa I'd have to give my recommendation for Billy Bat. It took me a couple reads to really figure out what was going on, but it's a lot of fun trying to unravel the various plot elements, and at 88 chapters so far, it shouldn't take long to read.

Also it's been said a couple times, but OP would probably really enjoy Noblesse. You can't really go wrong with a plot that starts with a vampire waking up after 800 years, going to high school, and then having everything go crazy from there.

How did I forget Pluto? <slaps head> It's basically a master-class in how to de-construct and then reconstruct a dead horse into something quite beautiful. :)

PlotCap.png

~:Euo will do instead of my whole handle:~

Scanlation-author collaboration not possible?  Nope: it's doable... try Trace and vote with your feet to try to get more like this.

Dresos

Dresos

Potato

• Members
  • 150 posts

Oh, I forgot to mention Psyren, it's a good one :) For a reason. And it's completed. That gives it a plus.
And Break Blade is average... also it's not complete yet.

Psyren is indeed quite awesome and it's a definite plus if a manga is finished when you find it.

However I think you are underestimating Break Blade, or maybe it's just the mecha lover in me that refuses to accept its flaws.

Delacarda

Delacarda

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 23 posts
What I think that was still not mentioned before, but is high on my list:

I'm a royal tutor in my sister's dress; Kikou Shoujo wa Kizutsukanai; Horimiya; Kitsune no Akuma to Kuroi Madousho; Kangoku Gakuen; Mahouka Koukou no Yuutousei; Soul Cartel; Blood Parade; Yankano!; Mahouka Koukou No Rettousei; Tokyo Ravens; Tokyo ESP; Tokage no Ou; Dracu-Riot!; Rising x Rydeen; RealPG; Witch Craft Works; Golden Time (Umechazuke); Btooom!; Zippy Ziggy; Xo Sisters; Blood Lad; Superior; Beast 9; The Legend of Maian; Yureka; Zodiac Game; Witch Hunter; Fairy Tail; Historys Strongest Disciple Kenichi; Noblesse; The Breaker; Naruto; Bleach; ...

Actually I liked everything I listed above, and quite a lot more. But until this day I found nothing that could replace Tower of god as being better :P

Edited by Delacarda, 23 October 2012 - 07:18 PM.