Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Girls und Panzer Anime Rant Thread - Spoiler Alert

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

5Cats

5Cats

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
5.5 = Recap! Oh well, no new information as to the inner workings of things...

But we learn the girls' favorite flower!

Alexandre Charron-trudel

Alexandre Charron-trudel

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 28 posts

5.5 = Recap! Oh well, no new information as to the inner workings of things...

But we learn the girls' favorite flower!

very disappointed with episode 5.5; despite being slated for DVD release, they had an excellent opportunity to explain the mechanics of the universe and how it all got started, etc, etc, etc. But they didn't; instead, we got random character promos.

Alexandre Charron-trudel

Alexandre Charron-trudel

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 28 posts
just saw episode 6. Wow, have the developers ever improved on how they run their battles; the girls clearly point out that all their tanks are inaccurate on the move, for one.
Second, the Firefly clearly slows down or stops to make the shots that take out the Type 89 and the Lee.

Furthermore, the PZIV also stops to make its own shot. Another accuracy on their part was that the Sherman (w)76 had run out of ammo in its turret and was now using shots stored in the hull to reload, thus slowing its rate of fire; all tanks have a few rounds in the ready rack, whereafter ammunition stored elsewhere in the hull has to be used.

Another note that i really like was that the Type 89 was shown to be so incredibly vulnerable; its engine was on fire, even with the added carbon lattice, but what the crew did next, as rockgollem will inevitably point out, was terribly stupid; in the event of a vehicle fire you abandon your ride post-haste; depending on where ammo was stored in the type 89, a catastrophic elimination could have resulted (most notable example: the Iraqi T-72M, which had the tendency to blow off its own turret due to ammo ignition since it was stored in the turret ring).

Another amateur mistake the crew of the Type 89 made was the long pause during its encounter with the flag sherman; even though the type 89's gun could only penetrate an average armor thickness of about 20mm at 500 meters, this should have been more than enough firepower to penetrate the thinly armored sides (just 30mm) of the Sherman, especially with its obvious side hatch. Of course, i guess that's what happens when you put an amateur crew with an obsolete tank into battle. Then again, their commander's tactic of throwing white phosphorus(!) bombs at the sherman was extremely smart: there are documented cases of german crews panicking when shermans used WP shells due to their horrific effects on human flesh (it reacts with oxygen, producing a flame that is extremely hard to snuff out).

Overall, a very good episode, one that certainly was worth the wait. The scenes of devastation of Bosporus (Chzech, even though Bosporus is near Turkey) and Chihatan (Chinese) at the hands of Pravda (russian) and Black Forest (German) respectively make it clear just how much of a challenge those two schools will be; The T-34/76 that is clearly in evidence with Pravda has been rated by historians as the most feared tank in existence; when Germans first encountered it in late 1941, they had no weapons that could defeat it from the front, whereas the T-34 was easily able to knock out PZ IIIs and IVs with little problem; only when the Panzer 4 got its 75mm L44 gun was it able to successfully defeat (and only then on even terms) the T-34; when the T-34 got the 85mm gun, it was capable of knocking out tigers.

5Cats

5Cats

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts
Yay! Episode 6! It seems like it wasn't as good as the others in terms of pace & writing, perhaps it got rushed due to that "error"?

4:00 the Saunders command tank: Never ask that question! lolz!
The "dramatic staredown" was funny! But yes, even the crappy gun on the Type 89 might have done enough damage, or knocked out the treads or something! All you have to do is immobilize it.

The chase was very silly, but "spiking" the smoke was consistant with the Volleyball Team's characters.

Once Team Ooarai had the enemy flag-tank in sight? Open up! Keep firing until your barrel melts!

6:30 But Noooo! Our girls back up! Ugh!

They ran out of turret ammo? Ah! I wondered why she was digging for shells, I guess all that wild shooting wasn't that good an idea after all. And shooting machine guns? How is THAT allowed?

The second chase is even sillier, but fun! The Shermans gain 5 kilometers in that short a time? Oh well. I know the Type 89 is really slow, but that means the Flag-Sherman should have escaped easily!

Better realism: The Type 89 shoots point-blank at the Flag-Sherman and damages it a bit. Now it's slowed down but still functional. Everything that followed would make more sense.

It took Miho long enough to figure things out! Geez! Just shoot the Flag-tank! Ignore the ones behind you!

15:40 They skidded sideways... in a tracked viechle? And the tracks stayed on! Real tanks cannot drift! Not even in dirt.
All the shells falling right at the "feet" of the tanks... oh well! It looks cool! All 'splodie and stuff.

I think the "reality level" took a terrible beating this episode, but it was lots of fun. I fully expect Ep-7 to return to the higher overall quality of Ep 1-5.
The horrific, one-sided victories of Black Forrest and Pravda were a frightening look at what lies ahead for our girls! But Team Anzio should be beatable. Italian tanks? :batoto_032:

All that drama at the end? Yikes!
And how many battles are fought each day? It must be 4 or the tournament would last forever!

The T-34 and the early KV tanks were far better than what Germany had at the time, it's a wonder the Russians didn't stop the Nazis in the first year! But tactics, air support and proper leadership make a big difference!

Alexandre Charron-trudel

Alexandre Charron-trudel

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 28 posts
eh, just watched the raw of episode 7; pretty much the same format as chapters 5 & 6 of the manga, save for two more critical developments; in addition to the B1 and the 7.5cm L44 for the PZIV, they also find a Tiger locked away in an abandoned storage room within the hull proper of the ship (how they'll extract it, i don't know). Second, they devote all of 20 seconds to the Anzio battle which, in true form and attesting to the quality of italian tanks, ends with a total victory for Oorai with no vehicles lost. Another set of innacuracies become clear, due to the amateurish nature of the sport and the lack of research on the part of the producers
1. miho recounts her days in middle school as a member of the Nishizumi Panzer School; she makes it clear that the reason why she left was that, during her face-off with Pravda was that gunfire from opponent T-34s sent one of her Panzer IIIs plunging off the storm-lashed ridge upon which they were fighting and into the rapids some 20 feet below; Miho--in an entirely stupid move--abandons her command tiger and attempts to rescue the crew, with no success, which results in her Tiger being left a sitting duck for a KV-85mm, which rewards her stupidity with a direct frontal shot through the hull armor of the Tiger, ending her old Panzer career.
2. The girls are shown to struggle lifting 7.5cm rounds into both the Lee and the PZIV; since this is the case, how could they possibly load quickly during matches?

3. they do more training, this time river fording and gunnery; during the training, even when standing still, the StuG III is the only tank to hit paper targets mounted on a hillside about 500m away; all shots from the PZIV, PZ38(t) and Type 89 go wide by a significant margin.

Edited by Alexandre Charron-trudel, 27 November 2012 - 03:26 AM.

rockgollem

rockgollem

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 43 posts
I didn't feel that Episode 6 really deserved any mention, because it was so much worse than the episode with Churchill and fighting in the city.

As per Episode 7, I'm going to keep it brief.

That Nishizumi girl deserved that loss and frankly if she can't handle the loss resulting from the route she planned out, she doesn't deserve to play. What's more surprising to me is that nobody on the command tank took over after the Commander abandoned ship or so to speak. I also doubt a single middle-school (Seems like middle school) girl's ability to open a hatch under water.

and 12:05 - Did they really need to portray them so evily?

13:35 - 14:02 - Holy crap, figure it out for yourself. They're not that hard.

14:52 - BS

Why the hell are they looking inside a ship for a tank? Unless it has special cargo area with lifts/elevators/etc, no way in hell a tank can be stored inside one. So what the hell?

Finally we get to see upgunning to 7.5cm for Panzer 4 and introduction of another tank, B1.

The fact there's parts of ships with completely no traffic (unless it's restricted area or sealed-off places like bilge pump) is an absoulete ridiculousness in itself.

21:43 - Nevermind how they will get it out, how the hell did it get in there in the first place? I am so sick of this.

Ending Note:

If I had tomatoes to throw at the creator of this manga, I wholeheartedly would throw an entire case, but I don't have any at home right now, which reminds me to go shopping for groceries.

Alexandre Charron-trudel

Alexandre Charron-trudel

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 28 posts

I didn't feel that Episode 6 really deserved any mention, because it was so much worse than the episode with Churchill and fighting in the city.

As per Episode 7, I'm going to keep it brief.

That Nishizumi girl deserved that loss and frankly if she can't handle the loss resulting from the route she planned out, she doesn't deserve to play. What's more surprising to me is that nobody on the command tank took over after the Commander abandoned ship or so to speak. I also doubt a single middle-school (Seems like middle school) girl's ability to open a hatch under water.

and 12:05 - Did they really need to portray them so evily?

13:35 - 14:02 - Holy crap, figure it out for yourself. They're not that hard.

14:52 - BS

Why the hell are they looking inside a ship for a tank? Unless it has special cargo area with lifts/elevators/etc, no way in hell a tank can be stored inside one. So what the hell?

Finally we get to see upgunning to 7.5cm for Panzer 4 and introduction of another tank, B1.

The fact there's parts of ships with completely no traffic (unless it's restricted area or sealed-off places like bilge pump) is an absoulete ridiculousness in itself.

21:43 - Nevermind how they will get it out, how the hell did it get in there in the first place? I am so sick of this.

Ending Note:

If I had tomatoes to throw at the creator of this manga, I wholeheartedly would throw an entire case, but I don't have any at home right now, which reminds me to go shopping for groceries.

1. The hatch: they wouldn't be able to open it; try opening a car door underwater and you'll know what i mean; the tank falling into the water would have resulted in the total loss of the vehicle and its entire crew.

2. agree with you on the documents: they would contain accurate records of where these vehicles were; any self-respecting school/organization that kept sports equipment would not let it disappear on such a large scale; even if it had been 20 years, such widespread disposal of equipment in potentially hazardous locations suggests either major incompetence or a total abandonment of the values and regimes relating to the sport caused by a traumatic event.

3. on the nature of the ships: agree with you that the standard explanation is total BS; a far more likely explanation is that the schools were made deliberately mobile to prevent outside forces from easily making away with dangerous (but otherwise obsolete) military equipment; how do you make off with a ten-or-more ton vehicle when you're surrounded by 3000 miles of water?

4. The most likely (logical) explanation for the Tiger was that it was stored there during the initial construction of the Carrier, and then never documented due to bureaucratic error. However, this is anime, therefore logic can be suspended in the name of entertainment.

5Cats

5Cats

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts
@Alexandre: At least they're getting better at hitting things! The last time they were miles away from the targets, remember? And it's a good thing that their best cannon has the best gunner, eh?
12:56 Un oh, it looks like the Type 89 hit the target, that's a Vollyball girl doing the fist pump! That 57mm pea-shooter has less "pow" than the 37mm on the 38(t)! Oh dear. They're finally betting used to their tank and it'll be replaced. Adding a new, green crew in the middle of the tournament would be... unthinkable!

If kids actually died in Miho's flashback? That wouldn't make a lick of sense! If they build "magic armour" into the tanks, they must have a way to keep the kids safe from falling into rivers, off cliffs & other perils which litter the playing field.

Yes, if one crew out of 5 jumps out, it doesn't immobilize the tank. But since she was probably in command of that tank, or perhaps the whole side, some confusion would result.

@rockgollem: 12:05 It's more fun that way! No point in admitting they have even worse tanks than our girls! It's better to make them look more dangerous, makes victory sweeter.

14:00 Boys? Boyfriends? I thought there were no males on the ship? Even those sailors were girls. Have we seen ANY boys (or men) on board? Must be long distance romance.

I've never been on a big ship, but aren't there signs and arrows everywhere to keep one from getting lost? Don't those phones have GPS? How does a compass function inside a huge metal box?

As for the Tiger lost in the storage room, if it got in there? They can get it out again! Those tanks were in the water for 20 years? (The Stug and the B-1) Ah well, it's a comedy after all!

The "first years" in the M3 are indeed "so cute"! I almost overdosed. Hooray! A bath scene!

A fine episode, a little "pause before the storm" eh? I think future shows will have more shooting and less talking!

5Cats

5Cats

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts
Episode 8:
More shooting! Hooray!

They're throwing the Char into the fire with 3 newbies? Oh dear. At least they put a "veteran" in there during the match.

From the tea conversation it looks like Saint Gloriana lost in the semi- to Black Forest, Miho's sister awaits!

2:54 Oooo! Long barrel! At last, a real panzer!
3:04 The 'guys' from the auto-club? lolz! They're so cute! "diesel dykes"! I mean that in a nice way. I've been looking forward to seeing them since the intro showed them. And the cat too.
9:10 Holy cow! You could park 3 Ooarai carriers on that one! Our girls' school is tiny? Who knew.
11:30 Now is NOT the time to switch strategies girls! Ugh! Listen to your commander!
(One knows they won't, but still! It's a lesson they'll learn which will help them win in the Final match!)
13:09 That's a fine plan, actually. Given Pravda's numbers and superiour panzers, and their Russian style, it's exactly what Miho expected.
13:14 Holy cow! 15 of them? "Russian Hords"! Good thing only 2 are "heavies". Still, 15 good tanks vs 6 mostly crappy ones...
13:30 I like the singing ^_^
15:52 75mm snowplow! I need one of those...
16:08 Haven't Japanese people discovered "toques" and "scarves" yet? At least Hana's Mom is showing some regrets for her harsh words.
16:17 Squirrel! lolz!
19:45 It's a trap! Luckily the Pravda team skipped gunnery practice (it's mentioned in the tea-room that they weren't bothering to practice, but still!) and/or were keeping warm with vodka shooters... hic! Barn, broadside? Still miss. Oh look, they drive into a barn-sized building! At least Pravda team can hit that!
20:55 "Nutz" is the proper reply, lolz! Wait, 3 hours? Why not collapse the building on top of them, doesn't that mean the Pravda team wins? It's pure "hubris" to demand they kneel before the short girl, and we all know what hubris gets you...
22:15 Now that's just getting silly! The whole school will close if they lose? And they didn't bother to use the TIGER they had in storage?
A whole new dimension of "wtf" just opened, like a mental black hole... draining away my credibility...

Oh well! They sure look cute in the snow!

Ep 9 finish beating Pravda
Ep 10 prepare for Black Forest, get the Tiger out!
Ep 11 & 12 Sister fight!

rockgollem

rockgollem

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 43 posts
Episode 8

Starting Note:

This anime should be shown in Armour/Tanker School across the world to display exactly what NOT to do. So far, this episode is the worst of all the 8 I've seen on the plot-level. It's very forced and weak, the kind you would expect from some cheesy drama or series with more effort in fan service than story. In the beginning, I thought they actually learned something from all the battles they were in, but no, they learned nothing.

3:55 - It's incredible that an Middle/High School Automobile Club knows how to fix a tank in the first place, but also installing a brand new (actually, refurbished old) gun. Nevermind how it's been refurbished or actually can even shoot right in the first place. This is a new height of pulling things out of the ass as you go along.

4:20 - They look like triplets, this honestly looks like a lazy work.

5:12 - What a defeatist attitude.

9:22 - http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/001/582/picard-facepalm.jpg?1240934151

10:10 - Should be wearing proper tank attires and padded cover-all/coat... Good grief. Not skirts and stockings.

10:26 - Some of those tanks are terrible on snow and winter. That alone gives the Russian team huge advantage over these mix-bags.

10:57 - And of course, in this universe, our resident cold weather force commander is none the wiser either and parade around wearing shorts and skirts.

11:30 - Better question is, is that girl even big/tall enough to crew a tank? Russian tanks were less roomy and used shorter people for tankers, but this is sticking a 8 year old girl into a tank.

12:30 - It's the commander's job to decide, not the crew. What do they think is, democracy?

13:20 - You know what else goes boom and is over? Nuclear missile. Shut the hell up if you don't know anything about war or battle.
13:43 - The mystery here is that the team seems to be largely T-34-76, when with little bit more work, they can refit them to the 85. Plus, only 1 IS and KV-2 each, which also seems highly irregular (especially the KV-2).

(You all already know I won't comment much on the speed/turns and so forth because it's been made painfully obvious in previous posts. I'd just like to make an additional note since they're fighitng on snow, they should be sliding, drifting and having difficulty maneuvering even more.)

13:52 - Rubles is currency, so... They will pay them 25 rubles to goto Siberia if knocked-out? What is this... I don't even....

14:04 - Well, at least they're wearing semi-authentic Soviet army tanker cap.

14:15 - 15:05 - The song was completely unnecessary in the episode.

15:35 - Moving at that speed, in that weather in that condition and looking perfectly out ahead without needing to shield the face or freezing off ears. I wish I could do the same.

15:45 - That looked alot fasther than 20 km/h. Alot faster. Alot.

16:17 - Yes, abandon your post mid-battle. Because that's what everybody do, right.

17:13 - They're looking at squirrels mid-battle. You just know that every professionals and winners look at squirrels in mid-battle.

17:30 - Magical spotting power activiate.

17:42 - Magical spotting power for the other team, activiate.

17:55 - Both hit with first shot right after stopping? It's full of crap, but I'm glad they actually learned how to shoot.

19:27 - Russian team uses terrible tactic. It's super-effective! Rockgollem can no longer battle! Russian team wins! Jokings aside, I'm sure they're baiting them as you could have seen this coming from all the way back in 10 minute mark, but even then this is a terrible baiting tactic.

19:37 - No, no, this is when you listen to the commander and stop pursueing. Moreover, a commander's inability to lead and control the troop is also a reflection on the commander's skill and abilities.

19:44 - When you see a village, you know how this is going to end.

20:00 - Taking unncessary risks, popping in and out when there's 6 tanks gunning for you, not to mention that kind of maneuver is pure bullcrap.

20:15 - Only an idiot wouldn't see this coming.

20:27 - What is this I don't even...

20:40 - And they all miss. Back to our Storm Trooper Syndrome.

21:00 - What is this, I don't even... Every single soldier, officer or not, is taught not to corner themself. What the hell is this farce. Let's put all the team into this area with only 1 exit , where enemy tanks can just shooting the building and collapse it, effectively killing everyone inside. Also, don't forget Russian teams have KV-2 with them. The tank's designed to take out bunkers and fortified building for crying outloud, and they just ran into a building.

21:15 - I hope they do know tank without track can still move, just not in the way ones with tracks would move. Secondly, Panzer 4 just pushing along the Stug 3 like that? What is this. What exactly is this.

21:50 - This ain't Bastonge and you ain't Anthony McAuliffe.

21:53 - 3 hours? Oh here we go again, typical villains giving heros all the time and gloating and eventually getting defeated by hero who escaped in meantime. How many times must we go down this road?

22:10 - No thanks to your incompetence.

22:12 - Stupid point. Nobody died so far, and they've been shot at, fallen into water, burning inside a tank and so forth. Not even a scratch. So suddenly it's magically dangerous now? What a load of crap.

22:35 - That's the spirit. I'm glad somebody has a spine among bunch of these losers.

22:44 - Of course it isn't war, or every single one of you would be dead on the first day.

23:11 - You see, now this is just pulling things out of the ass pure and simple. I mean, I don't even know what to say about craps like this. This is just too far.

Ending Note:

Where do I start? I already expressed most of my diasppointment with plot in the starting note, I guess I don't have much to cover here. Oh, and where the heck is Tiger they found?

Edited by rockgollem, 04 December 2012 - 08:35 PM.

5Cats

5Cats

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts
It amuses me to no end while I'm watching: "Oh, Rockgollem won't like that" of "Yikes! Rockgollem will blow a fuse!"
Am I an evil person for that? lolz!

Often I'm not sure of the "why" but I know something's wrong with a scene, then it gets explained in discussion forums!
That reminds me... I should read CrunchyRoll's comments section too...

This episode I joined you @RockGollem! It actually bothered me all the stupid stuff that went on! A dozen tanks blasting away at point-blank range and they... hit a track. Ugh!
Using the FLAG TANK as BAIT? That's suicidally stupid. One lucky shot and POW! You've lost!
I still like the 75mm Snowplow, living in Canada, eh?

I'm willing to forgive a lot for the sake of the cuteness & plot and such, but this is far over the edge. If it's going to be a 'silly anime' all the time have them drive the chibi-tanks!

Posted Image

There! Now one can safely toss physics and logic out the window!
lolz!

I still love it though, already looking forward to season 2!

ps: The Tiger comes out for Miho to face-off with her sister. All other tanks will be knocked out, leaving the two of them! Unless the writers actually come up with some origional ideas...
Sisters, arguing, in tanks, punctuated with cannonfire... what's not to love?

Alexandre Charron-trudel

Alexandre Charron-trudel

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 28 posts
@5cats, rockgollem

at this point, i've safely defenestrated physics, and am just along for the ride, even if i complain about tactics and armor. of note was that the Lee should have been knocked out with the hit to its gun, if it's by penetration rules.

Alexandre Charron-trudel

Alexandre Charron-trudel

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 28 posts
It's time for the 9th Iteration of Girls Und Panzer, where fanservice rules and physics don't matter!

01:37: expensive, you say? they're the smallest one out there!

02:45: all the best ones have been sold, eh? so you're telling us you made it this far by sheer dumb luck?

2:51: quite so.

4:51: i am reminded of a quote from Napoleon: "don't interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake; it's rude!"

05:00: Such confidence, such love! would that we all had parents like you!

06:27: you know just how incompetent your opponent is when they let two of the enemy out to scout positions.....not that those girls are any better by revealing their position through marching songs....

08:15: Ah pravda, how competent art thee.... let me count the ways...

11:30: well that's certainly one way to keep warm.

11:40: caught napping...

11:54: patton once noted that no plan ever survives contact with the enemy....

12:56: Conan, what is best in life?

13:27: Let the A-Team firing begin!

13:48: so one moment they're in a tightly packed village square, the next they're on a pitch-black snowfield? who knew that tanks had powers to access the 5th dimension!

14:10-15:47: Pz-Owned! who knew that the (t) in Pz38(t) stood for "troll" instead of "tczechisch?"

15:50-15:54: did the plot-armor fail to activate?

17:25: oh wow.....that's a great way to reveal your position, guys....you wouldn't last a second in real war.

19:14: there is no way the IS2-122 is that stable.

and wow, the match ended in a draw...........from the credits, it looks like we finally get the PZVII Tiger (P) and a crew for it next episode.

5Cats

5Cats

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts
The Chibi Panzer at the end has a crew that's seen in the OP, but not in the show yet... 0:32 the three of them, there's an Aardvark on the wall behind them. Tigers have a 5 man crew... and the Chibi doesn't look anything like a tiger... the chassis looks like a Pz.3, but the gun looks like a czech 57mm...

Oh sure, NOW they tell us! lolz! All this hidden information is good! Seems rather silly, given how non-chalant the President has been (once she got Miho to sign up that is.)
All the good panzers were sold off, except the one they misplaced in the storage room! That does explain things...

7:10 A snowspeeder?

8:00 The audience has been sitting in the snow & cold for 3 hours while the two teams do nothing? Isn't there a time limit? I want to see that rulebook from Episode 5...

9:10 Provisions? Is this a week-long event? lolz! It's only been 2 hours and they're worried about starvation? Like that South Park episode...

13:00 6 tanks running in a closed building, sure are quite! Must be 'magic mufflers' on them...

13:14 It's been snowing for 2-3 hours, but the tracks are still fresh? Obviosly made by NON-Canadians! (it's -22C outside as I type this...)

13:48 ^^ it was the same when they came in. There's a low hill seperating the village from the open plains.

16:05 They have a white flag on the bottom too? I guess with schoolgirls driving, overturning is a common event...

18:06 Tracks? Where did all the track marks goto? The ones outside the building lasted for hours!

18:29 While standing up there looks cool, I think in a micro-skirt it would be a bit 'breezy' (like in Strike Witches when Hartmann can't find her underpants and goes 'commando' Ep.7 iirc...)

Why do some shells take a realistic trajectory (like the one the KV fired) while so many others land right beside the target? Catroon violence!

22:00 no tracks in the snow again... like the shots, snow-based physics comes and goes... (did I mention it's -22C outside?)

O well! I do love the show! Girls + tanks = Win!

rockgollem

rockgollem

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 43 posts
Girls Und Panzer Episode 9

Opening Note:

This is one of few series which seems to get only worse as it progresses deeper. I actually had hard time realizing I was watching an anime about tanks, not Fast and Furious or Need for Speed. Well, then, onto rant we go.

1:30 - 2:15 - First of all, one of more bigger "What the flying frak" moment. Matters such as decommissioning of schools (especially when they're on gigantic ships like that) take years and tend to be announced that such thoughts/talks is going on. The residents, students, executives, principals, and whoever is even remotely involved would know. Even after the decision has been made to decommission a school, it still takes years to transfer and phase things out. Also, why the hell is that guy negotiating with the school council girls? Why? Nevermind that their negotiating is ridiculous in the first place, why are they negotiating with minors who hold no legal responsibility, authority, accountability, etc.

Why do 3 girls who aren't even old enough to vote or graduate high school for that matter, get to decide the lives of thousands of people who live aboard that ship in some sort of shady backroom deal. Who the hell died and made them the dictator? Those girls have zero idea on political, sociological and economical ramifications on throwing thousands of people out of the ship just randomly one day without any sort of prior announcements or knowledge that should have been made long before this kind of backroom dealings came in. This is just utter bullshit in scale of megalomania.

One of the worst plot. Ever.

2:26 - One of the worst explanations. Salvaging, repairing, maintaining and running those tanks would have cost more than subsidy would provide for, especially if they're pulled magically out of the arse.

2:43 - Another terrible explanation. We've also seen that just because a team's driving better tanks, doesn't mean they will win with terrible crew. Yet, they threw in the lot against impossible odds where the enemy team has ridiculous exprience (though from what they show, they may just as well be first timers) and pitting complete beginners.

Also, still doesn't explain why their school has garden variety of tanks from all nations, when most schools are generally contained within a nation.

4:34 - There is nothing to discuss. It's the team's idiocy and "discussing" what they will do that got them into the trouble in the first place. How about shutting the hell up and letting the commander do her job in the first place?

5:05- If it was anything close to real-life, it is over and watching it is a waste of time. But I'm sure, as they have done previously in the manga, things will be pulled out of the arse all over again.

5:20 - How is this extremely underaged, tiny and spoiled little brat with load of horse crap for brain become the commander, not to mention lead the team to world championship.

5:27 - Facepalm.

5:43 - The incompetence of an incompetent commander who sleeps in middle of battle while the enemy is right infront. Seriously, what the hell is this.

5:57 - Like hell you can fix it. The barrel's blown off, gun's not safe nor effective to use anymore.

6:22 - What the hell kind of scout walks upright and starts singing in middle of enemy encampment. What the bloody hell is this? What the hell. How is this scouting? And worse overall, how is the other side not noticing?

6:32 - 7:00 - Same frikking problem as right above.

7:00 - Oh, how perceptive of you, it's a shame that you couldn't notice them when they were just about 5 paces farther away and shouting all the same. How frikking perceptive of you. Somebody give those 2 genius girls who spotted our girls a medal. Infact, they have done such a great frikking job and their skill so outstanding, they should be cosidered heros and should each get their own documentary named "How 2 biggest idiots with serious mental defects couldn't spot an obvious enemy until they took 5 paces forward".

What's more enraging is that Pravda has not prepared even for a little bit for the enemy scout and best they can do is "look enemy scout". You would assume that when all the enemy is bottled up in a building with 1 way in or out, it would be easy to keep track.

Oh, and as I also said before, what the hell is the point in scouting if enemy knows what and where you scouted? Completely useless.

9:35 - How about actually doing something useful in preparing for battle instead of doing some stereotypical cossack dance, which isn't even actually Russian.

10:25 - Why is it that finger gets pointed to her when the rein of command isn't even properly given so she can actually act like a commander? Why does that girl with a monocle-glasses feel as if that Nishizumi girl needs to do everything while she just sits back and whine at every single thing. Get the hell over yourself.

10:28 - Yea, she's the "Kommandant" when it's convinient for you. That monocle girl really needs to be put in her place.

11:20 - Why do they need to do that infront of the door and show it to everybody?

13:30 - That is a terrible encirclement, terrible layout and what's even worse is that tanks' position has not been changed even after knowning enemy scout has the information.

12:49 - Ok, now this is a terrible idea. KV-2 has slow reload time, enemy has 6 tanks. Not to mention, only 1 tank guarding it?

12:51 - More like not so subtle mental retardation.

13:24 - Ok, this in itself is ridiculousness. First letting them out in the first place and second not hitting any of them while they're coming out. If I had anything to say about it, I would have had my men dig anti-tank trench or setup other tank obstacle to prevent enemy mobility right infront of the building. (Completely feasible as 6+4+4x5+9x4= 66 men with 7 hours). Failing that, I would have had tanks actually set up in crossfire with sights aimed so that tanks coming out would actuall be hit or have a tank stand-by near the entrance and block it as soon as cease-fire finished.

Either way, this is stupid and Pravda commander is also stupid.

13:51 - Isn't she the tank commander? So, what the hell is she doing in the gunner's station.

14:11 - Umm, what? Is this a Fast and Furious movie filming or a tank?

14:17 - Manage to pass right by and haven't even manage to hit one tank. This Pravda team must be filled with genius.

14:28 - Another hatch issue. Refer back to episode 1 for the problems of such action.

14:42 - So, the rear group of tanks are that far away from the forward group? They didn't seem so far on picture or anything else for that matter, so is time and space magically bending to the will of inconsistencies of the anime?

15:00 - to the end - I am not even going to comment further. Way too ridiculous, not even worth my time.

Ending Note:

As I said before, it seems to get worse as the anime goes on. Pretty ridiculous stuff. Whoever wrote, scripted and animated this obviously doesn't know the difference between a racing car and a tank. I wonder just how bad the final battle is going to be.

5Cats

5Cats

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts

This is one of few series which seems to get only worse as it progresses deeper. I actually had hard time realizing I was watching an anime about tanks, not Fast and Furious or Need for Speed. Well, then, onto rant we go.

Yes, the realism I was hoping for (given how well the tanks are rendered, and that they had some sort of 'expert' helping them) has failed to arrive.

Also, why the hell is that guy negotiating with the school council girls?

They did this sort of thing in 'Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate' too! The students ran the whole freaking school, incuding security! Weirdness ensued.

5:20 - How is this extremely underaged, tiny and spoiled little brat with load of horse crap for brain become the commander, not to mention lead the team to world championship.

Soviet System? lolz! It's an 'anime thing' where the school president is usually a tiny, tsundre type girl.
About the scouting: It seems that their leader set up a trap, and didn't care if their positions were scouted. Plus what are the rules when the girls leave their tanks? Can they be captured?
In fact, she seems to have counted on them being scouted: otherwise the trap might not work.

But you're totally right @rockgollem: it's a STUPID trap! Just blast them as they come out of the front (and only) door! Even if they blow a hole in the back wall (which I fully expected btw) you've still got them running while you are shooting. Dumbness.

The Kommander tells the other leader to "switch" I guess to the JS-2's gunnery position. I guess she's their top gunner?

14:17 - Manage to pass right by and haven't even manage to hit one tank. This Pravda team must be filled with genius.

Yeah, this seems to happen every battle: ZOOM right past the enemy, not get hit, don't bother firing YOUR cannon at them either! It looks cool, but horribly un-realistic. Once is funny, 3 times now? It's just silly. Like the 38(t) just driving up and firing away point-blank. Simply wouldn't happen.

15:00 - to the end - I am not even going to comment further. Way too ridiculous, not even worth my time.
Ending Note:
As I said before, it seems to get worse as the anime goes on. Pretty ridiculous stuff. Whoever wrote, scripted and animated this obviously doesn't know the difference between a racing car and a tank. I wonder just how bad the final battle is going to be.

Alas! I hope you'll watch it, even if you don't come and rant anymore.

I still like it, although I think the Studio really dropped the ball here. It could have been even better, rather than "fun but silly". Don't they know that people actually understand how tankery works? We're not all 12 years old out here in viewer-land!

Hummm, no 'preview' option? Oh, here it is...

rockgollem

rockgollem

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 43 posts
Girls Und Panzer Episode 10 Rant

Opening Note:

So last episode left off at a cliff hanger, and this would show us how it all goes. I refused to comment after 15 minute mark due to higher than normal volume of fiction last episode, so the things I didn't say will not carry across to this rant as well. In reply to 5cats, I will be ranting on until the anime ends. As per Soviet System, it's one of those true yet not entirely true. We can discuss the finer points of this, but I'm not sure that others would be interested in reading several paragraphs of talking about things that doesn't matter to the anime or tanks. We can discuss if you wish to, let me know.

1:38 - It's not clear, but it appears as if the shell detonated a bit infront of Type 89. Which carries straight to my point on...

1:48 - If the force of the detonation was enough to send bits of Type 89 flying as well as blow off the entire track, suspension and concave the armour, it's enough to knock it out. Especially noting that IS basically carried a modified 122mm artillery gun (not a relatively small calibre gun like 7.5 cm or 88 mm) and blast and shockwave of the explosion can easily kill if within reasonable distance. (Which in this case is more than reasonable)

2:50 - No, they're all pretty bad, including you, Ms.Pravda Commander. No, as a matter of fact, you're worse.

3:15 - No they don't have "real skill", unless this "real skill" is acting like an idiot. The mother's half right. One of the reason the reason Pravda lost is of over-confidence.

3:27 - No, it's a victory brought by defying of physics, deus ex machina style plot, bending of reality to create a story, complete dissolution of logic and reason and a bit of luck.

3:30 - Lady, this is not a religion and you're not the Inquisition. Heresy? What country are we living in, Saudi Arabia? Pakistan? Iran?

3:50 - She said "Black Forest blah blah College". One of more finer points of mine. High School vs College, in a professional setting or match (especially international championship), this shouldn't be done.

3:57 - Ok, 20 tanks? Now this is simple stacking and tells me so much about how coming episodes will have so much things pulled out of the ass as it goes along.

4:02 - So, 1 Tiger, 1 Jagdpanther and 10 Panthers. Without even needing to count rest of the tanks, that's game over right there.

4:28 - Oh, so an "automobile" club knows how to fix and maintain artillery, howitzer and guns as well huh. Oh for the love of....

5:01 - So, Tiger P is fixed. Though using it effectively is questionable, better than not having one at all.

5:33 - "If you find a panzer" I cannot even begin to speak about how stupid and wrong this is on so many level.

5:55 - Better question is do they even have a facility, skill, man power or time to convert the vehicle? Because the obvious answer is, no. Forget about how they even scrapped up money in the first place. Also, why does the gun come pre-attatched? That in itself is a serious problem in shipping and handling itself.

6:33 - Did they just? I'm so baffled, I'm not even going to touch this one. But Type 3 is still vastly inferior tank.

6:55 - If you want to do a drift in a Tiger, then there's something seriously mentally wrong with you. I formally suggest that girl meet a psychiatrist and undergo a complete evaluation.

7:10 - What I feel even worse than magically coming up with new tanks is how they're picking up crew as they go along. This is pure ridiculousness in itself.

7:20 - Yes, go figure. Also, people not falling under adequate vision and health category shouldn't be working with tanks, which this blonde girl would definitely fail.

7:37 - Really... That simple... Ok, not commenting on this, too.

7:54 - I thought they would be putting on mesh-net sideskirt. Though I have to say, against Tiger, Jagdpanther and so forth, it would help as much as putting a wet tissue on the hull.

10:01 - Let me get this straight. Panzer 4, Tiger P, Panzer 38t (Now Jagdpanzer 38t), Stug 3, Type 3, Type 89, M3 Medium and Char B1 (8 tanks) against 10 Panthers, 1 Tiger, 1 Jagdpanther and 8 unknown tanks, and she's calling it "little bit ambitious".

If I could, I would reach out across my screen and slap the writers, scripters, directors and most importantly, that monocle girl right now. This is not an ambition or little bit of chance&luck, it's a straight on suicide. I guess this anime is working itself upto one of the biggest bullshit I have seen in anime.

They're nothing short of insane or stupid if they think there's any chance of winning. (Though in other matches that chance of winning has been slim, this one is particularly smaller than others)

10:25 - So, she used to go to a college then transferred to a high school? Seems legit.

11:05 - Something that's been worming at me, and it's that they're undercutting crews in some vehicles.

12:22 - What? This makes no sense at all. Another subject I'm going to skip.

12:58 - Yes, that is indeed absurd. No need to find a fiancee when you're still in high school.

13:24 - That sounded more like coming out of the closet to me.

14:07 (Starting from i don't know when and ending at I don't know when, but 14:07 seemed like the right time to point it out) - Why are all the girls all eating food with schnitzel/pork cutlet/donkatsu? Is this suppose to be symbolic or mean something?

14:50 - Why are they all crying? Is a tank getting shot at and crews getting blown up to bunch of charred flesh or burning to death something to cry so romantically at?

16:03 - No, they managed to be written with magic to victory completely pulled out of the ass at the last minute.

16:36 - Comparing or even trying to match this to Operation Bagration is at the apex of bullcrap.

21:37 - So out of 8 mystery tanks, it's been cleared at least 3 are Jagdpanzer 4, 1 is Tiger 2, 1 is Ferdinand, 1 is Jagdtiger. Still leaves 2 tanks to mystery.

21:54 - Enemy is shooting at them from the forest, and they're rushing into it. Makes so much sense.

Ending Note:

Knowing what 6 of the 8 mystery tanks are composed of now, the odds against our girls just went up another couple notch. I look forward to witnessing how much more bullshit they will shovel out on coming episodes. (Actually I don't, I would most likely blow a cartilage.)

Another note is that with that composition, the Black Forest would win every single time against all othe schools. They're just so vastly outclassed, it's not even a fair fight. It would be like having a boxing match betwwen Mike Tyson and an aborted fetus.

Edited by rockgollem, 18 December 2012 - 12:42 PM.

5Cats

5Cats

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts

Girls Und Panzer Episode 10 Rant

So last episode left off at a cliff hanger, and this would show us how it all goes. I refused to comment after 15 minute mark due to higher than normal volume of fiction last episode, so the things I didn't say will not carry across to this rant as well. In reply to 5cats, I will be ranting on until the anime ends. As per Soviet System, it's one of those true yet not entirely true. We can discuss the finer points of this, but I'm not sure that others would be interested in reading several paragraphs of talking about things that doesn't matter to the anime or tanks. We can discuss if you wish to, let me know.

Hooray! more ranting to come! But unfortunately NOT until freaking March! For ep.11 &12...

2:50 - No, they're all pretty bad, including you, Ms.Pravda Commander. No, as a matter of fact, you're worse.

In 'real history' Stalin was ready to attack Germany in July after their peace treaty wore out, Hitler pulled a fast one and attacked early: caught them completely by surprise! It appears Pravda team did the same thing. idk if the writers are smart enough to include that on purpose or is it sheer coincidence?

3:57 - Ok, 20 tanks? Now this is simple stacking and tells me so much about how coming episodes will have so much things pulled out of the ass as it goes along.

Sheesh! 20 in the finals? That's just silly. Even with the 'new tanks' Ooarai doesn't have a prayer.

4:28 - Oh, so an "automobile" club knows how to fix and maintain artillery, howitzer and guns as well huh. Oh for the love of....

Yeah, since there hasn't been PanzerCraft at the school for a decade, it is 'amazing' that these AutoClub girls know how one works. Nevermind that, they're going to drive the BEST tank in the line-up? Oy Vey!

7:54 - I thought they would be putting on mesh-net sideskirt. Though I have to say, against Tiger, Jagdpanther and so forth, it would help as much as putting a wet tissue on the hull.

Yeah, it's not really going to stop AP rounds, just HEAT from large caliber but low velocity guns... iirc my PanzerLore correctly. HEAT is the one with plasmtized copper, right?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HEAT Wiki says: close enough! lolz!

10:01 - Let me get this straight. Panzer 4, Tiger P, Panzer 38t (Now Jagdpanzer 38t), Stug 3, Type 3, Type 89, M3 Medium and Char B1 (8 tanks) against 10 Panthers, 1 Tiger, 1 Jagdpanther and 8 unknown tanks, and she's calling it "little bit ambitious".

If I could, I would reach out across my screen and slap the writers, scripters, directors and most importantly, that monocle girl right now. This is not an ambition or little bit of chance&luck, it's a straight on suicide. I guess this anime is working itself upto one of the biggest bullshit I have seen in anime.

10:51 shows 16 Panzers: 3 Panther V, 5 Pz-III (50mm), 6 Pz-III StuG (75mm), A Tiger, and a King Tiger. 4 more tanks that we'll get ot see later. This batch alone = win!

11:18 "I want to eat your dinner Saori!" Now it's a hentai show! lolz! Apparently Commie Subs are not the best translations one can find...

12:28 Why is she over there? Can't they squish in and let her dine with the rest? Why does Hana have a huge pile of rice with a cherry on the top? That, and the quest for boyfriends, must be "Japanisms" we Western Folks don't understand.

13:24 - That sounded more like coming out of the closet to me.

lolz! And what's with her banged-up bears? It's cute and all, but why show them while they're talking about getting boyfriends?
13:14 Awww! A picture of the 5 of them! (beside the bears)

14:07 (Starting from i don't know when and ending at I don't know when, but 14:07 seemed like the right time to point it out) - Why are all the girls all eating food with schnitzel/pork cutlet/donkatsu? Is this suppose to be symbolic or mean something?

Probably. It's a ritual dinner before a battle? Samuri-chow?
15:11 I love the train-shot~! Japanese are crazy about trains, especially steam locomotives...

16:36 - Comparing or even trying to match this to Operation Bagration is at the apex of bullcrap.

True that! Bagration was a brilliant plan, brilliantly executed. Also sheer force of numbers, while Ooapai School does NOT have...

18:15 Well, I for one am glad they didn't die! That would have snapped my 'logic bone' for sure.

18:58 Wait a second: First the Oopai girls were all wearing their jackets (with cute animal logos on the back!) then they're not, now they are again? I know girls like to change clothes a lot but really? lolz! Continuity error!

20:17 Where's the flag for the flag tank? Must be the Type 89 again, it's pretty much useless anyways.

21:37 - So out of 8 mystery tanks, it's been cleared at least 3 are Jagdpanzer 4, 1 is Tiger 2, 1 is Ferdinand, 1 is Jagdtiger. Still leaves 2 tanks to mystery.

Assuming the 16 we saw earlier are all in the battle: (you're correct, those are Pz-4 StuGs) we add: A JagdPanther, A Ferdinad, A JagdTiger for 19 total.
There's a 128mm gun on that JagdTiger! ffs! It could knock out ANYTHING WW2 had to offer. Including the very best Soviet or American heavy tanks.

21:40 A shortcut through the forrest? Where have I heard that before... (Hint: The Battle Of France 1940)

21:54 - Enemy is shooting at them from the forest, and they're rushing into it. Makes so much sense.

Oh look! There's the Blue Flag! Miho has it on her Pz.4! Might as well since if she gets knocked out of the battle there's really NO hope for the rest of them.

I think they've run straight at the enemy tanks twice before! This makes the third time...

But actually, I think they are heading into a different forrest this time, not at the deadly-powerful guns of Black Forrest team. Long 75mm, 88mm and a 128mm would easily rip Ooarai's tanks apart, even from the front.
It seems the BF team was to their left, so they veered right to escape. Of course BF team still has half their Panzers un-accounted for...

Well, it's a loooong wait until March! Commie won't be subbing ep.10.5, it flashes up at the very end, eh? At least there's some fresh "Little Army" chapters up!

See y'all in the spring! lolz!

seyrine

seyrine

Unemployed Kitty In A Penguin Suit

• Administrators
  • 1,830 posts
  • LocationLurking nearby...

21:40 A shortcut through the forrest? Where have I heard that before... (Hint: The Battle Of France 1940)

You mean the German bypass of the Maginot line by going thru the Ardennes? xD
I hate history, but tactics always fascinate me...

Catch my story; the Neverender Series

Batoto's Rules Repository | Rules, Guidelines and FAQs

Rules and Regulations | How to get help | Frequently Asked Questions

If all else fails, PM me. And use the REPORT button if you see any content that may violate site policy.

Catch me on irc.idlechat.net (#seyrine) and D.F.T.B.A.!

5Cats

5Cats

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts
Exactly @seyrine! The school is even named "Black Forest" ;) , one should have anticipated this.

Miho really should have known what was coming: she was PanzerCrafting with her sister the year before, and for her whole life too!