Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Girls und Panzer Anime Rant Thread - Spoiler Alert

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

5Cats

5Cats

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Hummm, true that @SerRompalot! I'd overlooked that part of it.
They even reference the Winter War... Oh well, it was a lovely theory while it lasted!

The only girl who HAS extensive experience is the one popping her head out of the hatches all the time! lolz!

I'm guessing that Japan ran out of room, and built huge ships to put their schools on. Must be nuclear powered, otherwise it'd cost a mountain of money per hour just to float, nevermind move...

Is the primary purpose of the ships to house the schools? Seems that way, eh? Too much serious thinking about a cute-driven anime is bad for the braincells...

http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/mao-chan Oh noes!! Even more cuteness - I'll overdose for sure.

rockgollem

rockgollem

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 43 posts
Well, I hold tactics in fault because it's one of the skills needed to win the panzer battles. It's one of those things that you would need to learn real quick in real life or die. (On in this anime's case, lose the battle) Alot of other sports require comprehensive tactics as well, and considering that they're going against the "National Seconds" (The St.Gloriana, the girls in Matilda and Churchill), it's learn or die situation.

Personal Thought Note: (Completely off topic, but just spilling my brain juice out here)

On the 1 Churchill and 4 Matilda formation of St.Gloriana, it is sort of parody of standard British tank formation at the time. If there was reason and logic behind the formation, the Matildas would be serving as screen, scout, flanker, cover/small fry cleaner to Churchill while the Churchill engages the main threat. Of course, the natural question of "why not use Churchills for all 5", but then again our protagonists use 5 different type of tanks, 2 which are obselete garbage, 1 which is obselete but semi-useful, 1 with obselete armament and 1 with huge disadvantage in an assault scenario.

We just won't find out.

End of Personal Thoughts

Though I think of it with much chagrin, the girls in these tanks have shown themselves to have learning capacity outside physical possibility. (Learning how to drive, aim, shoot, operate radios and so forth without any sort of training) If they can learn that real quick, I naturally thought it would be streamlined for them to be able to grasp some of the most basic tactics.

And of course, what would a comprehensive rant and pointing out of mistake if I left an aspect of combat out, you know what I mean? Equipment, Men, Environment, Tactics and Luck forms the basics of almost every battle. I can't predict or critiscize about "luck" but I can about all else.

rockgollem

rockgollem

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 43 posts
How gun loading actually looks, since the girls seem to be shoving their hand in as if it's some sort of a mystery bag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKDqsZmWkW8

Obviously, they don't have a shell nor propellant, so proper loading procedure cannot be accurately represented. But usually, breech will close on its own after having either propellant or shell loaded into it, depending on the size of the gun.

Here's another working of a gun, but it's smaller calibre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBG_E9kqCxY

See how breech pops up quickly as soon as a round was in? One of the reasons you shouldn't shove your hand all the way inside a gun. As you can clearly see towards the end, why tankers need to wear boots as well as need to keep the accessories out of a tank.

Just posted to give some more in-depth idea to people who may not be as familiar with actual workings of a tank. Obviously, I can't go into every detail, but things like this people generally seem to find amusing.

Alexandre Charron-trudel

Alexandre Charron-trudel

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 28 posts
just watched episode 4. oh lord, the innacuracies!
first off, no tank can maneuver the way the PZIV did in the city; it acted like a sports car, not a tank! and that's saying nothing about the Matildas and Churchill, which both had a top speed of about 25kph (dead slow). Churchills and matildas would not be able to manuever like that, but otherwise, everything else was rather accurate with regards to armor penetration. on that note, we now know that armor protection is provided by a sort of carbon nano-lathe sheath that is painted onto the inside of the tanks, and which basically catches the shells before they get inside.

rockgollem

rockgollem

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 43 posts
Girls Und Panzer Anime Episode 4

3:00 - 9:00 is a recycle of the first episode, plus few stuff. Refer back to Episode 1 Rant if you want details. (I also mentioned tanks move too fast and too maneuverable in first episode, that will be considered given for rest of rant.)

6:36 - No, if you're drinking tea with a teacup inside a moving tank that's shooting, you will spill the tea. Not to mention it's a stupid thing to do. (Especially the gunner)

6:55 - So we are given that interior is coated in carbon. Now here rises another problem. One single layer of carbon won't stop a round. It would require gigantic paddings of carbon-fibre armour to prevent penetration, which would take up alot of space inside. Carbon fibre armour is also relatively brittle compared to materials such as kevlar. If at any point the carbon armour takes damage greater than its capability, it will shatter and spray the crew with shards, potentially killing or injuring them seriously. So essentially we have an explanation, but not good enough one.

The animators are trying their best to explain few stuff, but I can only give them score on "trying", not "achieving".

7:03 - I really think we should have a scene with either an explosion or travelling round kills that girl to portray a point of not shoving heads out of armoured vehicle during combat. In Gulf War, there was an American armoured vehicle sergeant who was literally decapitated by enemy round while his unit was engaging the Republican Guard Armoured unit, because he was looking out of the hatch.

Will she be satisfied only after same thing happens to her?

7:25 - You see, now this is just plaine stupid. They shouldn't be out of their tanks playing cards of volleyball. What they should be doing is calibrating their guns, training their sights and marking distance so they can accurately engage the enemy.

8:00 - Precisley the kind of problem with inexprienced crew and lazing around. They all miss at such a close range, as well as shooting at their own team. Stupid is stupid does.

8:10 - It is a cheap baiting strategy, one that they fell stupidly into. And frankly, it would work if the protagonist team was less stupid. The Stug and M3 could have engaged the Matilda/Churchill at distances as far away as 2km and 1km respectively, but oh no, only when they're right infront they start shooting.

And as I said before, they didn't properly sight it out, and randomly shooting. Dumb. But I have to say even if they are dumb, at that range, at least 1 or 2 Matildas would have been knocked out under any reasonable circumstance.

8:45 - And their stupidity's paid off, now they're in one of the worst position to be in tank battle. But watch, more stupid things happen.

9:10 - At that range, as soon as gunner actually has the target in sight and squeeze off the trigger, it's almost 100% guarented hit. There's no other way of go about it. The fact everybody is missing every shot means that some sort of magical device is redirecting everybody's shot mid-air, or that this episode is just stupid.

9:17 - Not safer outside than inside. But abandoning vehicle or running away mid-battle is one of traits of inexprienced crew/soldier.

9:33 - Not even going to comment on how the girl knows track came off without even looking.

10:30 - As I said, it's miraculously stupid and illogical that any of the tanks were able to leave there.

10:50 - 17:00 - Also makes no sense. They're in town, destroying roads, buildings, properties and so forth. There are innocent lives at danger here, not to mention various electrical, plumbing, gas, etc problems. I can just imagine the news headline "Gas line breached during Panzer-battle, entire town burning, hundreds dead and hundreds more left home-less. Who is to be held responsible?". Also for all the damages, who's also going to pay? Plaine stupid.

11:52 - Good idea, but honestly. Getting into that position would have taken much more time than our girls had during the escape. Thus impossible.

12:30 - Not a terrible idea, however, those garages have weight limits. And since they're designed for cars, not tanks, they cant do something like that. So, also impossible.

13:00 - Yes, Stug does have that advantage, but that's also what happens when you flush that advantage down the toilet.

13:10 - This is by no fault of the volley ball girls. It only proves what a garbage Type 89 is and why they should get rid of it and get a new tank as soon as possible.

14:35 - Ah, yes, the typical Evil Villain Syndrome. Instead of just killing the hero fast, gloat and drag on time. How many movies would be over so fast if the villain just shot the heros as soon as captured.

14:57 - There's no way they fixed the tracks that fast, plaine and simple.

15:01 - Yes, how can you miss at that range at that spot... It takes special kind of stupid to do something like that.

15:12 - They shouldn't have stopped here. If they just went into the alley immediately, would have made sense, but since they stopped here to squeeze off a round, the matilda on the other side would already have loaded and would be able to shoot the Panzer 4 as it passed by.

15:40 - Lady, this isn't a bumper car. Not even M18, reputed fastest and most maneuverable "tank" in WW2 could do something like that. First Matilda was a fair game, but second one wasn't.

16:40 - What is this? Need for Speed: Tokyo Drift? Come on, get this crap out of here. Our girls tanks should have ben knocked out way back in the ambush for even letting the enemy tanks through and letting them encircle.

17:47 - No, it's 20% her fault and 80% of other tanks/girls fault.

22:30 - Desertion is a crime answerable only by Court Martial. To be honest, I would have the lot of them thrown into brig and court martial decide their fate and get a replacement crew in. However, this isn't the military, but to simply let them back in is a gigantic mistake on its own.

23:27 - So there's total of 32 schools participating. Well, we'll see what goes.

23:35 - Playing of "Blood Upon the Risers" tells me our girls will face American tanks.

24:02 - And I am right, M4A4 Sherman. There also seems to be boatload of them and they look mostly armed with 75mm gun.

End Note

Yea this is unreasonable. Matildas and Churchill's outclassed out protagonists M3 Medium Tank, Panzer 38t, Stug 3, Panzer 4 (assumably Ausf F or E) and Type 89. Shermans would outclass them even more. Get better tanks or just drop out, it's not even worth watching.

Q&A Time: Though I wasn't asked that many questions, I did recieve a few.

Question 1: What would be your "dream" panzer team.

Answer 1: Since we seem to be allowed to have 5 tanks per team, I will state on from Axis only side and Allies only side. For Axis only, I would have 3 Tiger 2 and 2 Jagdpanther. Failing that, 3 Panthers and 2 Jagdpanther. For Allies side, I would like to have full team of M36 Motor Gun Carriage, or failing that, hybrid of 1 M18 and 4 M36 Motor Gun Carriages.

Question 2: Why do you do this?

Answer 2: Because. This is one of few rare manga/anime that deals with tanks. I was a bit sick of seeing tanks be represented like some sort of magical fairy metal box. Plus, this gives me few attemtps to vent my anger or try to attempt to sneak in humor. (I am very bad at both)

Question 3: What is your personal assessment of the protagonist's team?

Answer 3: Total crap. They should get rid of Panzer 38t, Type 89 and M3 Medium Tank to make their team competetive. Panzer 4 needs to be upgraded to be made competetive, and Stug 3 need to go under major re-painting. One of the worst mis-match of tanks, team and skills I've seen.

That's all for today, folks.

Edited by rockgollem, 31 October 2012 - 12:19 AM.

SerRompalot

SerRompalot

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

just watched episode 4. oh lord, the innacuracies!
first off, no tank can maneuver the way the PZIV did in the city; it acted like a sports car, not a tank! and that's saying nothing about the Matildas and Churchill, which both had a top speed of about 25kph (dead slow). Churchills and matildas would not be able to manuever like that, but otherwise, everything else was rather accurate with regards to armor penetration. on that note, we now know that armor protection is provided by a sort of carbon nano-lathe sheath that is painted onto the inside of the tanks, and which basically catches the shells before they get inside.

Yeah I was watching and I was like "holy butt those tanks are going fast." Nevertheless, I laughed at several points in the episode so I consider it a pretty good episode. I'd say the inaccuracies of Girls Und Panzer are about as relevant as the inefficiency of bipedal mechas in Gundam, such as how they can perform human-like motions in a machine where they pilot using only two levers and two pedals.

rockgollem

rockgollem

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 43 posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__K2BzxR2BY

How a tank would actually move and maneuver unlike lamborghinis our girls seems to be driving.

Alexandre Charron-trudel

Alexandre Charron-trudel

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 28 posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVwFN1Tap7k&feature=player_embedded#!

How a tank would actually move and maneuver unlike lamborghinis our girls seems to be driving.

you mean like this?

5Cats

5Cats

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts
#1 Cuteness (funny), #2 Character developement, #3 Cuteness (ecchi), #4 Plot advancement, #5 Cuteness (squeel!), #6 Historical accuracy.

I always keep this in mind while watching! If we didn't care about our girls, we would care even less about the rest of the show! Also "backstory" gets added in there at some point.

3:00 - 9:00 I thought it was clever how they showed the same sequence, but from some different perspectives!

6:36 Yeah, drinking tea on a train was a challenge (in the old days, pre-WW2) nevermind a tank, going across rough terrain!

6:55 Magic! I told you so! At least they make an effort. If this is set in 2040 it might allow for force fields to protect the houses, super computers & lasars to blow up stray rounds before they slam into houses, advanced shells that simulate damage but not actually doing that much damage... = magic! Worked in Strike Witches (which I just love!)

7:03 I recall a Bradley Sergant who got decapitated when an Iraqi shell went straight through the turret & didn't explode... But you point is valid: it's a good wat to get your head blown CLEAN OFF! Or hit by schrapnel: far more likely and every bit as bad.

7:25> Yeah, it's a tournament girls! Paying attention would be nice. Would soccer players be playing cards on the sidelines DURING a match? Not twice I assure you. (they'd be kicked off the team - pronto!)
Of course these amature girls NEED to be shown making mistakes early on, so we have some contrast when they get really good at it! See #2. It's a valid part of storytelling.

8:10> Yes, our girls cannot hit the broadside of a barn! At 10 paces!! With a scattergun!!! It's true, but funny!

9:33 An experienced crew would know, especially the driver. Our girls? not so likely.

14:35 What's the point of victory if you cannot gloat about it?

14:57 True that, it'd take 2-3 hours for an experienced crew (of MEN!) not 4-5 minutes... but in terms of Greek Storytelling Rules? It's 100% allowable! And then they miss, Bugs Bunny style! I laughed!!
Hint: ALL stories EVERYWHERE follow the Rules (capital R!) the Greeks discovered. They didn't 'invent' them, but they figured them ALL out! I delight in seeing them in every GOOD show, movie or stage play. Bad ones always break or ignore the rules.

My biggest problem with the last two episodes is that the 12 mph MAX tanks keep pace with the 20-25 mph tanks... bugs me! Perhaps that's why they had so much time to 'set up' their traps, eh?

Dream Team: 3X Tiger-2 (King Tiger) and 2X Jagdpanther (you're deadmeat!) = almost invincable. Some Soviet equipment came close, but NO operation tank was as good as the King, and no tank killer as lethal as the JdP. Well, except the JagdTiger, but those were both rare and very late in the war... and ran out of gas a lot...
For earlier tanks there's the Pz-4 with a proper gun, the Hetzer, a Nashorn perhaps? Stinking big gun for a mid-war tank-killer. Of course the Tiger-I was out in late 42 and for it's time was nearly unstoppable, with a wicked gun!

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/germany/sdkfz-list.asp Handy list of which SdKfz is which! I want a SdKfz-2 SOOO BAADDD!

5Cats

5Cats

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts
14:57 Hummm, watching again in "no fun allowed" subtitles: I thought their track broke, but it just popped off. Much easier to fix, but I doubt 3 girls could do it that fast!
idk why the St. Gloriana girls didn't pump a few rounds into them? Their flag wasn't up & they kept firing. Of course that would spoil the fun later.

15:00 In the "no fun allowed" subtitles (English, no Germanese) commiesubs scratches out "Girls und Panzer" in the logo and writes "Girls And Tanks" underneath = LOLZ!
Also the six girls from team D climbing the tree to watch? Priceless!

Has anyone else noticed that the disbanded vollyball club has only 4 members? (hint: 5 players per side in vollyball) Subtle! Funny!

15:05 That's one strong truck! Hauling (adds it up from memory) 80+ TONS of damaged tanks!

19:07 Wow! Hana's family is uber-rich!
"Tanks are ugly, loud and crude" ...you say that as if it were a 'bad thing'...
Cue the song: Kyle's Mom is a Bitch! Mrs. Isuzu sure is one...

21:40 Thousands pack a theater to watch the match-up drawings? Oy! And this is for highschool! University Panzerfahrn must rivel US College Football!
At least Miho drew #8, woo-hoo! Or is it Chinese who are obsessed with that number...
The 63rd National High School Tournament? If it's 2012 in the show, then it started in... 1949?

Who else paused at 21:43 to read all the school names?
Viking Marine, Koala Forest, Pravda High, (blank) Maginot Girl's, Anzio High, Saunders (Colonel? lolz!), Ooanai Girl's (our team!), BC Freedom Academy (Canada?) St. Gloriana, Joghurt, (blank), Black Forest Peak, Chihatan, (blank) and Continuance High.

Our girls would only face St Gloriana in... the final! It's a lock.

Hey, I have a great idea: Panzer Catgirls! Catgirl Panzertroopers? C'mon! Catgirls + Tanks is unbeatable!!!

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/3/30010/1080451-chara_zentai_fei_super.jpg

http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/groups/1/1/84/thumb_620x2000/5f49eb47c0ecf3bbde4da9f3c70b59c2.jpg

See? There's the proof!

rockgollem

rockgollem

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 43 posts
Alex - Well, I saw that video as well, but majority of tank-to-tank engagement didn't exactly meet right on top of the road. Ambushes, maybe, but not much of battles.

5Cat - Well, for earlier tanks (Pre-1942?) there really is only Panzer 4 with 7.5cm gun that is balanced. Nashorns do have good guns, but being open-topped and near armourless does pose its own set of challenges. (Especially since the tank battles in this universe seems to consist of missing every shot until you're right infront of them.) Jagdpanzer 38t is a rather later-war contraption. Well, either Panzer 4 or Stug, but I would rather have a turret.

I didn't stop to read the school names, because it could be some sort of spoiler indication. Also, I didn't really want to read those tiny letters. But I can definitely see Commonwealth type schools, German type schools, French type schools and Italian type schools. I doubt we'll see all of them, but we did see Tigers during introduction.

At 1:05 of intro, you see a Tiger and 4 Panzer either 3 or 4, I can't tell because they're so small and blurred, shooting in a snow field. So we definitely will see a German team. We already saw the Sherman and Churchill/Matilda team. At 1:11 there appears to be silouhette of T-34-85 and IS-2 (or JS-2), so we may be seeing Soviet based team as well.

As for the musics, they used the "British Grenadiers" very liberally with the British tanks, and they played "Blood Upon Risers" for the American tanks. Maybe a variation of Panzerlied for German and.. Soviet anthem for Soviet tanks?

5Cats

5Cats

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts
I'd say 1943 is the cut-off for early/late tanks, but that's completely arbitrary.
Pre-war, 1940-43, 1943-45 is 'late war'. (spring of '43 if you want to be precise)
A special catagory for tanks debuting after the spring of 1945, because many of them never got into battle...
Again: just my opinion, based on years of reading and wargames...

Yeah Nashorns are "glass cannons", literally! Eggshells with 88s...

Early Russian tanks were really good! Pre-war ones? Not so much. Too bad (for them) their crews were average at best and tactics were aweful.
Late Russian tanks were even better, but again Russian tactics (meatgrinder, cannonfodder) still sucked.
British had good crews & tactics, (especially the Canadians!) but TERRIBLE tanks. (except the Sherman Firefly)
Japanese: outstanding crews, terrible tanks and suicide tactics (mostly). Never intended for tank vs tank fighting eh?
Italians: Bad crews, bad tanks, bad tactics...
French: ok crews, ok tanks, terrible tactics.
Americans: ok tanks, ok tactics, crews ranged from aweful to excellent.

Did I miss anyone?

It looks like the schools will mimic their 'country names' with that nations tanks, that'd be cool! Go team Anzio (Italy)!!
(gotta root for the underdog, even if they're doomed!)

5Cats

5Cats

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts
http://tinyurl.com/axjlw8j

A YouTube 'playlist' featuring German Panzers! It's set to start with an R/C 1:6 scale JagdTiger! Do Want!
57 videos of R/C and real tanks.

Added:
I found more YouTube Goodness!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCGeH09DHL4

A Girls und Panzer tour of... Oarai! Woot!
The uploader appears to be a military nut (that's a 'good thing'!) from Japan. If anyone can speak Japanese they can visit his homepage and thank him for me!
And ask him to mail me some G&P posters...

Edited by 5Cats, 04 November 2012 - 06:56 AM.

rockgollem

rockgollem

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 43 posts
Girls Und Panzer Anime Rant Episode 5

*We have already established numerous times that the tanks move and maneuver at ridiculous manner and subsquently will not be pointed out that much.

2:03 - Jesus Christ, I would not want to eat or spend much time in such a place.

2:15 - I do admit the cakes are cute, but the things they came in... Remote controlled?

2:24 - Saunders University Highschool? Is this University and Highschool mixed into one or what?

4:05 - Assholes will always be assholes.

5:29 - It's every military commander's dream to know exact plan and force of the enemy, but honestly. Whether they bring a Firefly or A1s or E8s or whatever the hell varient, it really doesn't matter because taking a hit is a bad idea in itself and most of their tanks are pretty much done for if they do.

Plus, the entire game seems to be done by moving and missing every shot when you're in perfectly normal and ordinary engageable range, running up to everybody's face and finally landing a hit when you are less than 1m apart from each other.

6:33 - Oh, nice scale models, but... What is she doing with all those shells in her room.

10:07 - I did spend more time than I wanted to on warships before, and I will say they're not designed for people to run in.

10:16 - One of the most stupid intellignce gathering I have ever seen in my entire life and career. One of the goals in Intelligence is so that enemy doesn't know that you have information on them. Now, nothing stops Saunders from changing the strategy, compliments and other details, and they're back to square one.

10:24 - Oh, no it doesn't take care of the recon, you stupid girl. Oh, I'm chuckling as I type this.

I remember seeing somewhere the rule allows up to 10 tanks on each side, so we know it will be horribly unbalanced battle.

13:40 - Forgot the shells? It's not a laughing matter. Those girls at 13:42 have every reason and right to be an obstinate dick to them.

15:00 - This is pathethic. This isn't a match, it's a slaughter is what it is. Real life, they wouldn't stand a chance, but I'm sure the anime will find a way to win somehow.

15:10 - Still don't understand why they're not wearing boots and proper tank attires, but insists on running around in skirts and sneakers.

15:55 - Why name individual tanks "team"? What is the point? Get real.

17:00 - And that M3 should have been destroyed, but somehow survives.

17:20 - Apparently, neither can you.

18:00 - At that range? Both tanks should have been knocked out, but they survive once more.

18:12 - I would just like to take this oppertunity to say, tanks can't, wouldn't and shouldn't move that fast in forests. Forests are good spot to ambush when you have prepared it days before, but a terrible battleground unto itself (for tanks). It's pure fiction that none of the tanks so far ran into a tree, lost tracks or fell into a ditch.

19:00 - Don't move, they're coming towards you. This series is a travesty to entire concept of armoured warfare.

21:40 - I do commend them for finally utilizing Stug 3 as they were intended to, but that's a point blank range for a tank. There's absouletely no need for it to be so close.

22:42 - Is it really that surprising that one M4 was knocked out in ambush? Sometimes I wonder if I'm watching an anime or bunch of goldfish bobbing at each other.

Final Note:

Terrible, just terrible. I honestly think I can beat all 3 teams I have seen with single Panzer 4 armed with 7.5 cm gun (preferably L/48) and my crew. I'm not being arrogant or dickish here, but just stating a fact. This game of charging headlong into whatever terrain may be, wasting ammunition and giving away positions, and not having even remote ability hit anything unless it's 5 meters infront is just a simple farce.

5Cats

5Cats

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts
Just started watching (skipped over your post @Rockgollem)

1:34 "Happy Tiger Magazine" I had to stop, laugh, wipe tears from my eyes! Zomg! Have I become a "fanboy" for G&P?
Tried to re-start watching, laughed too much, again. Ok, this time... I'll...

5:28 A Firefly? Only the Pz4 would care about that, even the "low performance" 75 of the Sherman can take out the rest of the team. From the front, at range... Well, the StuG-3 might test it...
17 pounder (on the Firefly) = Om Nom Nom! For the whole team.

13:12 Wait, what? They were draw #8 but they're in battle #1? Bye-bye logic! And with it my hope they'd learn a thing or two from observing the other teams...

14:44 HEXMAP! On the "Leopold" rail carrier? Isn't that one of the big mortars?
http://www.strategyplanet.com/commandos/leopold.html Close! Holy Poo! One still exists!

Well! That was fun! Now to read @Rockgollem's comment.

2:03 and 2:15: Panzer Cafe! Woot! The "serving truck" could be pre-programmed.
You might not remember it, but it was a trend in the 50's to have cafe's with "moving belts" to parade the food. You'd grab your choice as it went past your table, too bad if someone else grabbed it first! Needless to say, sanitaion laws put a stop to them! But for a while they were popular...

2:24 University Of Winnipeg also has a small Highschool attached to it...

4:05 Sister Fight!!!

6:16 Poor Yukari's Dad! Lolz! Mom is cool though. Tank picture IN the barbershop... Think Dad (or Mom!) was a Tanker before being a Barber?

6:33 I'm green with envy at the stack of boxes of models! See? Literally! And nice book collection too!
20L Jerry Cans? Shells of various sizes? 3 uniform jackets, ammo boxes...
7:21 Wait, WW2 radio sets on her computer desk? Two of them?

Pop quiz! Name all her finished models (no googling!) lolz! It's super easy...

15:00 Yeah, even if Shermans are >average< without the 17 pounder? A 2:1 advantage vs 3 average and 2 poor tanks = Slaughterhaus 5...
I'm being gererous to the Sherman. It got nearly as bad fuel consumption as the Tiger! Cross country or road speed wasn't much better either! Cheap, easy to build, easy to crew, craptastic gun, died like flies...

11:36 Girls and Tanks = priceless! In the "Germanized" subs it reads Maidens und Panzers! WHO could possibly complain about that?

14:56 Varient (with hard-to-see Blue Flag!), 8X Shermans, Firefly.
14:58 Oh, there's the flag... (I missed it completely the first viewing :angry: )

15:55 @rockgollem: Each tank has a "team" of girls for a crew, eh? Works for me!

17:14 Perverts! Stalkers! = lolz!

Question: How can ANYONE go zooming through those close-together trees... IN A TANK! It's like some idiotic "Star Wars" scene...
Oh, @rockgollem noticed that too, lolz! ALL of them should have banged head-on into several trees each!

17:00 Yeah @Rockgollem, I hear that! I'm more annoyed by the "misses hit the ground at their feet" crap! (this episode has a LOT of it!) The trees all around them should be going Boom! Not the stupid ground! At least the shot from the M3's 37mm had a realistic trajectory... ooo, twice even! :batoto_024:

19:00 Don't bother SHOOTING at the enemy or anything... jeez! As I watched, I could hear the echos of @rockgollem screaming in pain! It hurt me too! AAAaaa! (at least the Shermans took a few shots... and missed by a mile!)

At this point the Shermans should have STOPPED! Taken careful aim and dispatched 1 or 2 of our Panzers. Who cares if both Shermans are destroyed? There's 8 more where they came from!

And only hitting 1 Sherman in that ambush? Pa-thetic! They both should have been sent back to Detroit! Wait, is Detroit "Heaven" or "Hell" for a Sherman? Hummm...

Oh well, it makes for fun viewing!

Your Final Note is true enough! It is more than a little annoying what goes on sometimes.

By the end there should be 2 Oarai tanks gone (M3 and type 89) and 3-4 Shermans too.

However: Where's the 38(t)?? It's off hunting the Saunders' flag tank! Our girls can all get 4 Panzers knocked out... and still win! And they will do just that, in that fashion, in episode 6!

Ack! Wall of rant! (above) Ack! My posts joined together!

Second Post:

12:54 It took a while, but I figured out they were being fitted for those yummy, tight uniforms! (with no pants! In the Strike Witches tradition!) NOTE what's going on at the left side ot the screen... It's Francesca Lucchini and Charlotte Yeager!!
Laughed my arse clean off!!! (Lucchini is my favorite, oh to be young again!)

Seriously? I'm loving this series! The work, the attention to detail! Aside from combat.

13:10 They got boots... aren't those boots? Sneakers work inside tanks too, at least I think so...

18:05 In the finest Greek Tradition of storytelling, when Yukari "counts down" the enemy Shermans, there's ONE left over: the Flag-Panzer! This foreshadows the later event I have predicted.

ALWAYS follow Greek storytelling traditions! It's worked for 3,000 years!

Aside from the obvious, aweful technical details? I was happy with this episode :)

Website (in Japanese) for CATGIRLS and Panzers: (well, sort of)
http://www.green.dti.ne.jp/hashigo/

Remember my complaining about the 12 MPH British tanks chasing our girls in Episode 4? Well, it seems the Type 89 hits a whopping 16 MPH itself... thanks to a person on YouTube I finally figured that out.

HEY! It jammed my two posts together! Oy Vey! I guess I'll correct a few typos while I'm at it...

Edited by 5Cats, 07 November 2012 - 08:48 AM.

rockgollem

rockgollem

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 43 posts
Well, I didn't see them wearing boots. I saw what resembled something like men's dress shoes or sneakers that seems to be common with general school girl attire. As per need for actual proper combat attire, including boots, undoubtable.

That Pazner 38t is probably off hunting the flag tank. Though I will say leaving flag tank alone is either a very smart idea or very bad idea. They could have hidden the flag tank at extremely good position, attatch 2 tanks to patrol the area and rest of 7 tanks could be engaging.

Or they could have it just randomly rolling around somewhere and die.

As per battle of the forest, smarter course of action, with simplicit mind and strategy of the girls, would have been to cover the area, prepare for ambush and wait for them to emerge from the forest or flush them out from forest with minimal number and drive them towards established ambush. In all logic, our girls' should have lost all 4 tanks there and then. Shermans wouldn't have lost a single tank, because our girls only noticed them when shooting began.

5Cats

5Cats

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts
Remember that our girls know (from the scouting report) that Saunders planned to leave their Flag hidden and hunt with all 9 other tanks, eh?
Miho formed her plan based on this, so losing all the other tanks still = win!
Saunders' plan is to find the enemy flag through sheer weight of numbers. Keep them so busy they don't have time to look for their flag. Little to they realize: the 38(t) is so crappy, (compared to 2 Shermans) it may as well go hunting! lolz! 1:1 is less fatal than 1:2...

If they were (realisticly) destroyed in the woods, episode 6 would be rather dull...

I've read that Ep6 will be delayed, and a "special episode 5.5" is actually up next! Hopefully they'll use this opportunity to explain some of the rules, mechanics and such for the G&P universe... but I doubt it!

http://girls-und-panzer.at.webry.info/201211/article_2.html

Alexandre Charron-trudel

Alexandre Charron-trudel

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 28 posts
according to the file on TV Tropes:
A lot of the details of the setting, such as the actual rules for Sensha-do (like how only prototypes and production tank models made prior to the end of the war in the Pacific are allowed) and the history of the world, are only found in supplementary materials, and never mentioned in-show.

In supplementary materials, tank combat was originally conceived as a sport for women in 1920, and tanks were built specifically for this purpose, with men forbidden to drive tanks for fear of actual wars being started. This means that World War II would have never happened, or at least was fought in a manner that diverges heavily from the actual war. This makes Erwin and Yukari's references to D-Day, the Afrika Korps, Rommel and the Winter War puzzling.The War was perhaps just waged without, or with severely limited, amounts of tanks. There was nothing brought up about men not being infantrymen, pilots, artillerymen or crewmen of non-tank armored vehicles, after all.

this is, of course, impractical, and doesn't explain tank development after the war. The most likely case is that, due to the horror of warfare after WWI, tank combat was made a spectator sport for women only to discourage warfare, but this did not prevent WWII, which happened for, basically, revenge reasons on the part of germany. Tank development would, thus, have been continued after the war in to maintain military modernization...but i suspect that men have, by and large, been banned from the military in the Girls und Panzer universe, meaning that tank development in that universe would be more akin to, say, rival car companies. This explanation is also handy for the super-carriers; keeping tanks out of nations and on ships specifically designed for the promotion of Panzerkraft would also limit the ability for highly mobile warfare. It would seem, however, that each nation has multiple carriers, since the competition is only a Japanese national tournament and, as mentioned in episode 5, Saunders University High (basically a University and Highschool combined into one) and other such schools simply focus on the armored warfare styles of a notable nation.

oh, and rockgollem, the LAPES system actually does work; it's been proven with both the sheridan and the Abrams in tests; it would be difficult however. That said, the Type 10 MBT fielded by Japan weighs just 48 tons, and is considerably lighter than the 70 ton Abrams, so this is entirely feasible.

Edited by Alexandre Charron-trudel, 08 November 2012 - 05:33 AM.

rockgollem

rockgollem

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 43 posts
I wasn't arguing whether LAPES works or not. I've seen number of successfuly LAPES Jeeps and other light utility vehicles.

I was saying the way LAPES is portrayed in this anime was completely full of crap.

Dropped with all of the crew inside the vehicle, dropped right in middle of city with all the strutures around, dropped on uneven ground with various obstacles around, coming in at angle and height and leaving at the angle they did and so forth.

If you actually looked at LAPES experiments, you will find that as weight increases chances of accidents and "failed drops" increases dramtically. Yes, of course it's entirely feasible to LAPES the Type 10 in. Afterall, as long as it can fit inside an aircraft, within weight limit of aircraft and can attatch parachute on it, what can't be LAPESed? But real question is, is it reasonable to do so? The answer is no. Possibility and actuality is not the same.

Yes, LAPESing modern tanks is entirely feasible and works perfectly fine if you don't care what actually happens to it and all that mattered was dropping it on the ground. Risks simply don't justify it.

Mind you Sheridan was a tank designed with air-delivery system in mind and its weight and design is immensley different from an Abrams or Type 10. Even then if you look up the records, you will find that while utilizing LAPES, there were casualty rate, which can be defined as justifiable or unjustifiable depending on a commander's focus.

And I have yet to see reports of M1 Abrams being successfully LAPESed at consistent and safe rate. I don't think it's feasible but I am willing to change my mind if I see a concrete evidence of it, please provide me with one if possible.

Edited by rockgollem, 08 November 2012 - 12:10 PM.

Alexandre Charron-trudel

Alexandre Charron-trudel

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 28 posts
@rock gollem,

unfortunately, i can't find anything.