Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Dr. Frost Latest Chapter Discussion

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
Oooh, I hadn't thought about the different types of therapy method, thanks for pointing that out! I've been only thinking of the type where the patient lies down on a couch. Therapists have to be careful with their patients in any case, since it's easy for patients for fall in love with their therapist. ^^;

As for the purse, yeah, I'll normally put it where it's convenient, as long as it doesn't risk being snatched by people walking by.

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,
Official English Webtoons: https://www.webtoons.com

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
This week's raws are out!

Spoiler

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,
Official English Webtoons: https://www.webtoons.com

aEnigma

aEnigma

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 12 posts
Let's take a guess what his problem is:
Not bc of psychology but bc of story development, I think his pin was the date of his mother's death and he's like that bc he's somehow guilty of her dead or saw his father kill her or whatever.
The link being that he likes to be praised, his most important date is being praised by his mother and so on...

TensaiTekiKuroneko

TensaiTekiKuroneko

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationIndia
Dr. Frost is a murderer? My speculation: I think Dr. Frost may have had a patient, who was in a serious condition, and in his attempt to know the truth, Dr. Frost might have dug in too deep, and somehow provoked the patient-in-question to commit suicide?

I m just loving his mysterious and silent-genius kind of attitude! :3

Its Anna!

Bleach - Naruto - Gin no Saji - Love Allergen - Dr. Frost - Hayate no Gotoku - Iris Zero - Nurarihyon no Mago - Kuroshitsuji- rest... I don't remember currently.

Posted Image

Love Allergen - Vol. 3 - Chapter 20.

If you don't remember Nodame on seeing this, you ain't concentrating enough!

wablezzz

wablezzz

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts
Hmm I think I agree. I think the victom is that ladys sibling. Just a hunch

Nix

Nix

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Location49.284242, -123.126381
Maybe web-toons do this often and I am just not familiar with it yet. But the first time I saw the rotating Rubix Cube I did a double, then a triple take. My mind somewhat exploded.

Took me a while to realize it was a gif not a jpg.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think Frost was called a murder by Prof. Song either from a misconception about how a case ended kinda like the Panic Attack case, and Frost doesn't care to go out of his way to prove his innocence for social standings.

Or something did happen where his cold logic got someone hurt. Prof. Song thinks he doesn't care even though we find out everything he did was for the best interest with the best of his skill.

or Finally something did happen were he tried to "Empathize" with someone once and it went terribly wrong.

either way, the dreams that Frost can't remember are probably leading up to in someway why Prof. Song calls him a murder? and that Prof. Cheon seems like he has a different more "ok with Frost" view on the subject.

Edited by Nix, 07 April 2012 - 09:57 AM.

Spoiler

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato
chp 26 is great, I can't wait to see more

Tn7HA0h.png

Yaomo

Yaomo

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,757 posts
  • Locationwathcing you from some place far away
ah, that mmpi-2... horrible survey thingy. it's not as secret as they want to make it seem, if you're interested in wasting time answering 567 question, here's an online version http://geisel.narod.ru/mmpi2.htm
someone on a forum somewhere said to look up the things you score 75% or more on, and also look at the red flags you got on the bottom of the results

the results you get can be a bit funny though, it told me that i might suffer from paranoia, depression, schizophrenia, sexual deviance, psychopathy, anxiety and maybe a few more
あっ ちょっと死んじまった

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
This looks like the start of a new story arc, I really can't wait to see what happens. Dr Frost always seems to end on a cliff hanger for me, almost every chapter just seems to make me want to keep reading more about the current "case file".
Kimchi Salad says they're taking over both Dr Frost and also Green Boy scans from The Company.

Tn7HA0h.png

Rave Jai Ho

Rave Jai Ho

Potato

• Members
  • 114 posts
I wish this forum was much more active.. ><:

Anyways, as of Chapter 36. What do you guys think? Why would Dr. Frost say that the child sees or perceive the father as the "enemy" ?

I suppose it has something to do with the parenting style, specificilly the authoritarian style.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

I wish this forum was much more active.. ><:

Anyways, as of Chapter 36. What do you guys think? Why would Dr. Frost say that the child sees or perceive the father as the "enemy" ?

I suppose it has something to do with the parenting style, specificilly the authoritarian style.

Yeah, that was pretty confusing. Still, this manhwa is so technical and advanced with the psych stuff I couldn't even guess. Since we've gotten another chapter (or two?) since, I guess it made sense that the infant child didn't understand the abuse and only saw the part where the father took the mother away.

Tn7HA0h.png

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts
  • LocationManetheren, but more realistically Southern California
I have to say that I have really been enjoying Dr. Frost quite a bit. As several comments have pointed out, it is not totally accurate, and Dr. Baek makes it seem to easy. Well, yeah, it is after all, a webtoon and concerns several different cases, and not an in-depth study of a particular case (which would make for a boring webtoon, in my opinion). While my knowledge of psychology is fairly sketchy (a couple of college classes in the past, and reading skeptical medical websites decrying "voodoo medicine), the methods described and used by Dr. Baek are legitimate, and he doesn't claim any single one of them as the "be-all, end-all method" of clinical psychology. Even the age-old Rorschoch Test is still used and has some legitimacy. One just doesn't use it to the exclusion of other methods. If the manhwa starts using phrenology, or starts claiming psychological symptoms resulting from "depressed skulls," I will categorize it as voodoo medicine, and stop reading it. As a manhwa, it presents a subject that many people have a huge amount of misinformation on, partially due to the news media and partially due to television dramas. Since I read it on a computer, when I come across something interesting, I can immediately do some research on the web, starting with wikipedia and moving on to skeptical, scientific, and medical sites. As a result, I can learn things, while entertaining myself as well.

Also, I have known several professional counsellors with doctorates in psychology, and Dr. Baek is head and shoulders above most of them.

Edited by Comadrin, 14 July 2012 - 07:03 AM.

furerkip

furerkip

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 29 posts
She's going to be a doctor soon -___-. She should be more like him, almost every medical doctor I've come across would agree with his assessment of the puppy. Euthanize it now. It's terminally ill... You can't save it no matter what, it's like trying to save a pancreatic cancer patient, it's just such a long shot that you might as well tell the people involved that it's going to die.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

She's going to be a doctor soon -___-. She should be more like him, almost every medical doctor I've come across would agree with his assessment of the puppy. Euthanize it now. It's terminally ill... You can't save it no matter what, it's like trying to save a pancreatic cancer patient, it's just such a long shot that you might as well tell the people involved that it's going to die.

From a purely clinical, totally dispassionate viewpoint, this might be the case, but human beings aren't really supposed to be totally clinical and dispassionate, that's being messed up. Assistant Yoon's reaction to him is proof of that. Frost has an even more profound emotional problem than most of the patients we've seen (he doesn't have them, emotions that is).

Tn7HA0h.png

furerkip

furerkip

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 29 posts

From a purely clinical, totally dispassionate viewpoint, this might be the case, but human beings aren't really supposed to be totally clinical and dispassionate, that's being messed up. Assistant Yoon's reaction to him is proof of that. Frost has an even more profound emotional problem than most of the patients we've seen (he doesn't have them, emotions that is).

That's not true at all.

My parents and brother are doctors; they are in the same position as he is. My dad, when he hears that a patient can't get out of something, he just does his best NOT to get aggrevated with the people that keep his patients alive that are going to die anyways. It's a waste of resources.

Many, MANY doctors think like that, my dad not being an exception but the rule; my friend's parents do their best to keep the patient alive, but when the patient is going to die no matter what, they can't do much but explain to the family of the patient that this is inevitable and that no resources they have will change anything.

Doctors don't have any tool that will bring someone back from the dead; only a few doctors possess such insight that can bring someone back for a few minutes from a medical problem. Most doctors struggle with keeping patients alive when the patient is first infected, what makes you think that any doctor would ever want to be in the situation where their patient is going to die unless they do X Y and Z perfectly and without fail, and timed perfectly as well? She has to get used to it. Dr. Frost is absolutely correct in his judgement; I dunno how much clinical experience he has, but it's definitely enough for him to change from a naive doctor who wants to save all his patients to a real doctor that understands where life begins and ends.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

That's not true at all.

My parents and brother are doctors; they are in the same position as he is. My dad, when he hears that a patient can't get out of something, he just does his best NOT to get aggrevated with the people that keep his patients alive that are going to die anyways. It's a waste of resources.

Many, MANY doctors think like that, my dad not being an exception but the rule; my friend's parents do their best to keep the patient alive, but when the patient is going to die no matter what, they can't do much but explain to the family of the patient that this is inevitable and that no resources they have will change anything.

Doctors don't have any tool that will bring someone back from the dead; only a few doctors possess such insight that can bring someone back for a few minutes from a medical problem. Most doctors struggle with keeping patients alive when the patient is first infected, what makes you think that any doctor would ever want to be in the situation where their patient is going to die unless they do X Y and Z perfectly and without fail, and timed perfectly as well? She has to get used to it. Dr. Frost is absolutely correct in his judgement; I dunno how much clinical experience he has, but it's definitely enough for him to change from a naive doctor who wants to save all his patients to a real doctor that understands where life begins and ends.

I don't disagree with anything you've said, but try showing them (your doctor family) the vet's office scene in chp 42 and ask them if Frost's utter detachment when dealing with an emotionally distraught assistant Yoon was the best way to handle the situation or not.

I stand by my statement, it's not a question of whether or not clinical detachment is the way to approach such life and death matters (I for one firmly believe it is), but knowing when to turn that detachment off. That's my point of it being "messed up". Frost, in chp 5, says "empathy is an illusion" and "I do not know what 'feelings' are". That's his problem, and the results of it is what shocked and disgusted assistant Yoon.

I too have plenty of experience in conducting myself with unemotional detachment, it's just part of gowing up around a farm, but I also know better than going up to someone who's distraught and emotional and say "let's just kill it". I feel very sure your parents and brothers do too.

Tn7HA0h.png

Arka

Arka

Potato

• Members
  • 159 posts
So in the end it's a sort logical reasoning vs. morals thing? Logic says it's better to kill the puppy and be done with it but in terms of morals you can't just stand there and let the puppy die, it's better for it to be saved and get a chance of being adopted later on? Since Baek has some sort of frontal lobe damage he can't experience emotions (and sees things all in a logical matter) while Yoon can experience emotions and are swayed by them (rescue the dog)...

furerkip

furerkip

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 29 posts

So in the end it's a sort logical reasoning vs. morals thing? Logic says it's better to kill the puppy and be done with it but in terms of morals you can't just stand there and let the puppy die, it's better for it to be saved and get a chance of being adopted later on? Since Baek has some sort of frontal lobe damage he can't experience emotions (and sees things all in a logical matter) while Yoon can experience emotions and are swayed by them (rescue the dog)...

It's not like the puppy has a possibility of living. It's going to die really soon, no matter what. Are you going to shove a dying puppy into the arms of an unaware couple through deceit? Or are you going to tell the truth about the puppy, and end its chances of getting adopted (no one wants something that will die soon to be shoved into their hands). Morals don't play much into this I don't think because moral dilemmas would be presented as a choice like you stated of inivesting heavily into saving the puppy or letting it die, not as investing heavily for the puppy to die just a few weeks later or letting it die now. It's not really fair to say that Dr. Baek doesn't feel just because of scenario (a choice anyone that isn't directly connected with the dog would have made). It's just the issue is so swayed into one choice, that there's no point in getting a few weeks more for it.

I don't disagree with anything you've said, but try showing them (your doctor family) the vet's office scene in chp 42 and ask them if Frost's utter detachment when dealing with an emotionally distraught assistant Yoon was the best way to handle the situation or not.

I stand by my statement, it's not a question of whether or not clinical detachment is the way to approach such life and death matters (I for one firmly believe it is), but knowing when to turn that detachment off. That's my point of it being "messed up". Frost, in chp 5, says "empathy is an illusion" and "I do not know what 'feelings' are". That's his problem, and the results of it is what shocked and disgusted assistant Yoon.

I too have plenty of experience in conducting myself with unemotional detachment, it's just part of gowing up around a farm, but I also know better than going up to someone who's distraught and emotional and say "let's just kill it". I feel very sure your parents and brothers do too.

I think you dramatized his reaction :\. He explained why he thought the puppy shouldn't be saved at all, which was totally reasonable. Assistant Yoon went full crazy when she heard that.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Dr. Baek; I feel like he's just developed to think like he does because of his environment growing up (stuck in a laboratory); after all, his doctor is faking results to him, which is totally illegal and probably would discredit his entire work unless it was the actual test.

Edited by furerkip, 10 August 2012 - 11:28 PM.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

I think you dramatized his reaction :\. He explained why he thought the puppy shouldn't be saved at all, which was totally reasonable. Assistant Yoon went full crazy when she heard that.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Dr. Baek; I feel like he's just developed to think like he does because of his environment growing up (stuck in a laboratory); after all, his doctor is faking results to him, which is totally illegal and probably would discredit his entire work unless it was the actual test.

Fair enough, we've just got different opinions. But no where in this entire story so far will you see him ever display emotion, even in the emergency situations. We know he's considered a murderer by a colleague and that there's an organic problem with his brain that is being regularly monitored. He openly admits to not understanding emotions. Sorry, there's no way I can't see that as not having something wrong with him.

Tn7HA0h.png

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
So, with chapter 43 we now know for sure that he literally doesn't have emotions like affection, compassion or pity.

Tn7HA0h.png