Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Dr. Frost Latest Chapter Discussion

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

Haruki

Haruki

Fried Potato

• The Company
  • 693 posts
  • LocationKorea
Discuss Dr. Frost here~
Posted Image

Trebor

Trebor

Voice to the Voiceless

• Administrators
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationUSA
Ch 0 was surprisingly uninformative. Who's ready for chapter one to come out? :D
Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri

8ronte

8ronte

Fingerling Potato

• Contributor
  • 88 posts
  • LocationRight Behind You
From the little info that was hinted from Chapter 0, I get the feeling that I've read a book or something else that was similar to this.

*shrug*

But then this chapter didn't really tell that much so maybe I'm only thinking of something that has a very vague similarity.

Oh well, it's not stopping me from looking forward to the next chapter. :D
All hail The Soup!

Cala

Cala

Potato

• The Company (inactive)
  • 149 posts
  • LocationCanada
I think it has potential... I like psychology and brains n stuff so I'll give it a shot :)

Posted Image

Cloudspawn, you're the coolest:

Spoiler

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
Yes, this series has potential. :)

The first few chapters were a bit over the top, it felt as though he read this book here and this book here (I have them too), found them super cool and decided to write about them and make a huge deal about them.

It doesn't feel like the author himself is familiar with all these facts. A person who's really acquainted with psychology would probably be embarassed writing just these as "whoa, it's mind-reading!" or the likes. It's like a physics student would never make a big fuss about the fact that when an object falls, it actually Falls Faster as it goes omg! (until it's evened out by friction), it's just too basic.

Also, anybody who's tried these things out in Real life would quickly realize that they don't work out as easily as you think. For example, the woman has her legs crossed and arms crossed. Dr. Frost claims that it can't be because she's cold. Well that's not true. I'm a girl. A girl will have everything crossed on her period for example because it hurts and you want to keep your intestines warm. Legs crossed? She's wearing a mini-skirt! When you want to make sure people aren't having a good look at your underwear, you'd have your legs crossed. I have my legs crossed all the time, some people just find the position more comfortable.

Touching the ear? Yes, there are explanations about touching the ear and such. Well, some people touch the back of their heads all the time. It's not because they're lying, it's because their hair itches. The bag? Whenever I eat out with friends, I put my bag on the nearest available empty seat. Who wants to keep it on the lap all the time?

Then there's the Rorschach test. People actually question how well it works. I tried looking at it, and I saw a butterfly in it at first then a pig head. So? The author is basically making it seem as though the signs are so easy to read, when in reality there are many possible reasons for the same signs. The books I linked to warned of this as well. Even if you can interpret their state of mind, you cannot interpret as easily the Reason for their state of mind. Is he nervous? Maybe he's just shy or needs to go to the bathroom.

Still, the concept has a lot of potential, and since it did make Webtoon from Best Challenge, I'm supposing it gets better. :) We'll see!

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,
Official English Webtoons: https://www.webtoons.com

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts
  • LocationHere of course!
hehe i saw a pig's head too.

Trebor

Trebor

Voice to the Voiceless

• Administrators
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationUSA
These kinds of series that sort of... display a profession, whether it be hacker or sports or psychology are NEVER accurate. It's always painful, but that's how it is. Shit is just never as exciting in real life. That's why I get incredibly happy at the slightest factual accuracy in fields that I know.... but since I don't know any psychology, even though I know that most of what Frost says is crap, I still enjoy it :P
Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri

mitunya

mitunya

Potato Spud

• tC Donator
  • 38 posts
  • LocationSt.-Petersburg
Kind of reminds "Lie to me" with the concept.

Trebor

Trebor

Voice to the Voiceless

• Administrators
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationUSA
Lie To Me is repetitive and boring >_>

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
Technically, what Dr. Frost says Isn't crap. Everything he said can be found in books written by experts. It's just that in real-life, there's a lot of "pollution", fake signals that may be interpreted wrongly. :) I bought those books to become better at understanding people, since I have some trouble with that, but after reading the one on facial expressions for example, I found myself stumped when I realized that many of the people I'm meeting in meetings just keep a constant blank expression on their face. :| And knowing that they're bored isn't really helpful, I'm bored too in meetings, hahah!

Huh, two pig heads... I wonder what it means? Should I mention that specifically, it looks like those pig monsters in Zelda games? :D

These kinds of series that sort of... display a profession, whether it be hacker or sports or psychology are NEVER accurate.

It's not really the profession part that gets to me, it's the reaction of the person being lectured. "ZOMG CRAZY PSYCHO MINDREADING." It's actually have been more convincing if the author toned it down a bit, and explained the other ways the signals can be interpreted (the way the story is written, it seems like he's never tried it himself). You know, it's a bit like reading a story about cooking, and the first-time cook has no problems chopping vegetables and never gets anything burned up.

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,

Haruki

Haruki

Fried Potato

• The Company
  • 693 posts
  • LocationKorea
i think he was speaking comparitively.
for example, if u were with a guy u really liked, u wouldn't cross ur leg and face the exit.
Posted Image

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
I agree with the facing the exit part, but I still won't agree with the crossing leg part, sorry. :P There are lots of reasons for a girl to sit with her legs crossed:
- It's her normal sitting posture. That's my case. Sitting with legs parallel just doesn't feel good for some. I sit with my legs crossed with my parents too. We're not likes guys who on the contrary would be making certain "parts" uncomfortable by sitting with their legs crossed.
- She's wearing a mini-skirt. The "open" postures Dr. Frost mentioned were all guys. Do you expect a girl with a mini-skirt to sit with her legs open? When you're wearing a mini-skirt, you have to sit with your legs closed Anyway. When the legs are not crossed, there's a risk that when you move around a bit you reveal your underwear by accident. Under such circumstances, it's actually often more comfortable to sit with your legs crossed, you gain the peace of mind from knowing that you won't embarass yourself by accident by flashing your panties.
- She's on her period. When a girl is on her period, she has stomach cramps and she'd want to be warmer than usual. How much warmer? Well many like to hug a heating pad or the likes to ease the pain, so 24 degrees would not be considered warm. In such situations, the girl would be hunched on herself, with both legs and arms crossed. I guess the author isn't a girl though.

Basically, this manhwa does exagerate a lot so far. I did read up that there were reliable ways to estimating a break-up, but it's not this. The study I read up showed No factor was a reliable indicator of separation (whether lies or whatever) except one: contempt. If one person feels contempt for the other, then the relationship is at risk, but it wasn't mentioned here.

The most obvious indicator should have been the fact that she put on her clothes again before leaving to take the call. :P If she were just going to make a call, she'd at least leave her clothes and maybe her bag there.

This doesn't mean that I'm not interested in the series though, many series start awkward then become better and better as the writer becomes more familiar with the field.

3492bk6.jpg

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts
  • LocationHere of course!
If you take a look at the credits of Dr. Frost, you can see that the author actually did some research, so may want to give some amount of credit.

For example, there's a professor from department of mental health, psychology columnist, etc.

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
Of course he researched it, what I mean is that he gives off the feeling of someone who's just discovering the field (thanks to research), and not someone who grew up taking these things for granted. x)

Anyway, the latest chapters were funny! xD The girl has a few screws loose in her head, and Dr. Frost's "excited" face was hilarious!

3492bk6.jpg

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
New chapter! :D This was a funny chapter. I'm not sure whom I should be feeling sorry for. xD

Hahah! That explanation on professors made me even more confused, since I never went to a U.S. university in the first place, so I have to figure out the practices of Two places now!

Seong-Ah is really a newbie. xD Psychologists aren't supposed to get too close to their patients, it's bad for both of them. That's why psychologists and their patients don't sit face to face, and why friendship between the psychologist and the patient is labeled "dual relationship" and is actually considered unethical (because the friendship relationship can complicate the psychologist-patient relationship, thus making the treatment less effective. You can get mad at a friend and feel betrayed by him, for example).

I don't agree that empathy doesn't exist though, though obviously if Professor Frost doesn't feel any emotions, he can't understand empathy either. Empathy is what friends are for though, not psychologists. xD

The kitty at the end is So cute!

3492bk6.jpg

Trebor

Trebor

Voice to the Voiceless

• Administrators
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationUSA
Let me know if you need more explanation about the University system. It should be similar in any Anglo-American country.

n0c0ntr0l

n0c0ntr0l

Fingerling Potato

• The Company
  • 97 posts
  • LocationFloor 135
Dr. Frost is a psychopath? If he has no emotions, he only emulates them, but can't understand them he's showing symptoms of psychopathy. But it's okay, it's not like all psychopaths are murders.
Posted Image

Samantha_Tesla

Samantha_Tesla

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • LocationGallifrey
No emotions? I guess that would make sense with how he has behaved so far. I'd have to say it's more likely that he has emotions but they are very minor compared to most people. Basically, he probably has Alexithymia (Medical term for lack of emotions). He may have a lack of empathy but that is tied in with the fact that he doesn't have emotions.
Posted Image

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
@Trebor: thanks for the offer! No need though, it's been a while since I've graduated, and to be honest, I don't really want to be reminded of my days of university. Hahah! xD

Dr. Frost is a psychopath?

Well, psychopathy also implies amoral behavior. Dr. Frost isn't really out to get anyone in particular. He seems more autistic than psychopatic to me, Asperger's Syndrome in particular.

I suspect I was a bit autistic as a kid myself, and pretty bad at reading people's faces. Some people like me try to compensate by reading books on human subjects and trying to apply them. Dr. Frost gives me that impression. He has no inate understanding of people because of his lack of empathy, so he researched human behavior instead and made a mental list of rules.

No, I'm not that extreme. I've found a simpler rule since. I note whatever really bothers me when someone else does it to me, and just assume the same applies to other people. It works pretty well. x)

3492bk6.jpg

Cala

Cala

Potato

• The Company (inactive)
  • 149 posts
  • LocationCanada
Ooh, I forgot this topic existed.

Figure I'll throw out there that most of what Mizura has been saying is spot on - this is not (or should not be) black and white stuff. The only things I've read that suggest these things are always true are pop psychology (and often on TV). I can't wait for someone to bring up personality typology, hahaha.

Althouth this is not necessarily true:
"That's why psychologists and their patients don't sit face to face,..."

It depends on the type of counselling, really. I do agree that the relationship between a therapist and a patient must be cultivated carefully. I seem to remember that some methods of therapy do require a particular relationship to develop, but I'm too lazy to check the details on that.

On a side note, I've developed a creepy little fascination with the purse idea, it being the only idea in the first chapter I hadn't heard of before. I'm constantly noticing where my purse is now; at random intervals of my night out it suddenly occurs to me to check. At one point, I realized I'd placed it between myself and a stranger, when I had the alternate option of putting it between myself and a wall. Of course, this is bad science and could be attributed to be me subconsciously trying to stick it to the idea, but when I'm out with friends I'm generally not thinking about this sort of thing.

Posted Image

Cloudspawn, you're the coolest:

Spoiler