Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

[Development] [Discussion] Visual Novel

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

Poll: Visual Novel (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think it's a good idea?

1. Yes (20 votes [68.97%])

Percentage of vote: 68.97%

2. Maybe (8 votes [27.59%])

Percentage of vote: 27.59%

3. No (1 votes [3.45%])

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

What genre would you like out of a Visual Novel?(Choose All that Applies to you)

1. Love (18 votes [26.09%])

Percentage of vote: 26.09%

2. Ero (11 votes [15.94%])

Percentage of vote: 15.94%

3. Action (13 votes [18.84%])

Percentage of vote: 18.84%

4. BL (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. GL (1 votes [1.45%])

Percentage of vote: 1.45%

6. Horror (8 votes [11.59%])

Percentage of vote: 11.59%

7. Comedy (17 votes [24.64%])

Percentage of vote: 24.64%

8. Others(Post Comment with "Genre Poll" and specify any of your liking) (1 votes [1.45%])

Percentage of vote: 1.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Yaomo

Yaomo

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,757 posts
  • Locationwathcing you from some place far away
i have a feeling that the only reason i understand python is that i once tried to understand java. if not i'd be lost
seriously, the human language part of it is what confuses me, since it's stated nowhere what it actually does

it's a side effect of having learned some very basic computational linguistics. the introduction i got to prolog was to figure out how to write already predefined functions on my own, just to understand how it actually works, i only understood what i was trying to do because it looked like how i'd write grammar in lkb
あっ ちょっと死んじまった

Kalladin

Kalladin

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 293 posts
Just here to give a genre. Comedy. Don't have any good ideas yet.

Shinmaru

Shinmaru

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico
I have come with Names of the characters of 2 characters(Main Male and one of the Main female) I plant to have 2 or 3 more by tomorrow and I'll try to have a characteristics and roles of the characters, so I can build a story around them. I will be following very well known story patterns that are found in most mangas, but with your help we can make a very unique compilation.

I'm currently playing some VN for inspiration(Programming-wise and Story-wise). You can learn a lot from others games.

wEr4

wEr4

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,068 posts
Hmm...You said you wanted help with names. I can help but I would need to know about the characters first. These might give you some ideas: where are they from? Is there a foreigner between them? Where is the foreigner from? Where is the setting of novel based? Fictional town in a fictional world with Japanese character names?
Posted Image

Rien ne pèse tant qu'un secret...

manga2x

manga2x

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 575 posts
  • LocationTawi Tawi naval district
I guess you need to write step by step plan first
If something has been done then you tick it as "completed"
This way you will be able to track down your progress

What is GL Genre? Is it Yuri?

Shinmaru

Shinmaru

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico

I guess you need to write step by step plan first
If something has been done then you tick it as "completed"
This way you will be able to track down your progress

What is GL Genre? Is it Yuri?

Yea, Girl Love. I believe GL is not entirely the same, since in GL is more about a pure love between two girls, mean while yuri is more oriented to the sexual aspect between two girls(Lesbian Sex).

Shinmaru

Shinmaru

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico
Alright, here it is, the Character List, with a description.

UPDATE: Started a small story around it!
Check here: http://vatoto.com/forums/topic/6850-development-discussion-visual-novel/page__view__findpost__p__231303

I need to come up with either a fictional Japanese Location or an actual Location. I prefer actual.

Edited by Shinmaru, 29 June 2012 - 02:14 PM.

Shinmaru

Shinmaru

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico
BUMP!

OchaMeido❣

OchaMeido❣

The Head Maid

• Contrib Mods
  • 1,728 posts
  • Location@ the Greenhouse Tea Party~
Shinji: ACK! HACK!! CHOUGH CHOUGH!!! YOU TRYING TO KILL ME!!!
Mika: Waaa! I-I'm sorry Shinji.
Shinji: *Sigh* Don't worry!

This part just confused me... what happen at the time? ....other than that , I think it is a good start.~^-^~.. If I don't have my own scanlation team to manage I would like to join too though I never can draw the same character twice... that is the bad thing ....><;;.Need to practice on that.

Edited by Wanderous, 21 June 2012 - 08:45 PM.

ןן Tea Party~ ןן "THE BAR" ןן

ןןGuide to Uploading/deltin/sortin ןן

ןן[Must read] COMMENT SECTIONS RULES ן

Follow the comment sections' rules or else, you will be hanging at the edge of an cliff ^^
It maybe one step closer to death's door or an extension of your life's time.

Shinmaru

Shinmaru

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico

Shinji: ACK! HACK!! CHOUGH CHOUGH!!! YOU TRYING TO KILL ME!!!
Mika: Waaa! I-I'm sorry Shinji.
Shinji: *Sigh* Don't worry!

This part just confused me... what happen at the time? ....other than that , I think it is a good start.~^-^~.. If I don't have my own scanlation team to manage I would like to join too though I never can draw the same character twice... that is the bad thing ....><;;.Need to practice on that.

Sorry I forgot, to state that he was brushing his teeth while thinking what he thought, then Mika surprised him out of his daydream/thought.

I need to learn how to convey my visual images in words.

Yaomo

Yaomo

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,757 posts
well, that's a start

but it might be nice to have a rough plan of where you want the story to go, and the different routes?
あっ ちょっと死んじまった

Shinmaru

Shinmaru

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico

well, that's a start

but it might be nice to have a rough plan of where you want the story to go, and the different routes?

this first part will be to decide what route to take, I was thinking of making a Hidden Affection Meter. where depending on the affection is where it will be decide what route to take.

We can assign some of yous the characters route, you can make the story line of Haname Aoi's Route you can also collaborate with other users too.

The Artist part will have to be a hierarchy the main artist and his support, why like this? so we don't have a mess of different art styles, if you guys don't like it, feel free to suggest me anything, I'm all ears.

Music artist and sound effects can be independent.

Yaomo

Yaomo

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,757 posts

this first part will be to decide what route to take, I was thinking of making a Hidden Affection Meter. where depending on the affection is where it will be decide what route to take.

sounds like hunks workshop... that's an annoying game to play without a walkthrough. the affection meter isn't really hidden, but it's shown by a rose beside the character avatar at the beginning of every workday in the game

but what i mean by different routes are things like how to gain a character's affection, what type of bad and good ends for them, setting, date locations etc... what you're supposed to do with a character, and where choices can be made to obstruct a good outcome

now i'm not sure any longer if i wrote what i meant to write... this sudden good weather is giving me a headache
あっ ちょっと死んじまった

MezzoParody

MezzoParody

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 388 posts

sounds like hunks workshop... that's an annoying game to play without a walkthrough. the affection meter isn't really hidden, but it's shown by a rose beside the character avatar at the beginning of every workday in the game

Sounds like most romance VNs I've played, actually. Or even non-romance ones. Kagestu Tohya has a hidden affection meter type thing, and that is the absolute most painful game to play without a walkthrough. Actually, it's painful even with the walkthrough.

but what i mean by different routes are things like how to gain a character's affection, what type of bad and good ends for them, setting, date locations etc... what you're supposed to do with a character, and where choices can be made to obstruct a good outcome

Yeah, that's some important stuff to consider. Like, is the game 100% purely about the romance? Or does it have some interweaving main plot, like Little Busters! or Clannad? Little Busters! has a really strong example of a main plot, since each route has your character and his friends make a baseball team, and certain things related to that don't change no matter which route you play. The baseball team works as a connecting point, giving you opportunities to interact with all of the different characters and make different choices about them. On the other hand, Clannad is much looser, with several of the routes involving the main heroine and the drama club she starts. The drama club also works as a connecting point for different characters, but there are also routes that have nothing to do with it.

I mean, it's good to have some kind of driving force in the game besides the girls. Even if it's only prominent in the beginning.

...and yeah. Don't mind me, I just like talking about visual novels.

Yaomo

Yaomo

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,757 posts

I mean, it's good to have some kind of driving force in the game besides the girls. Even if it's only prominent in the beginning.

that would be a good idea. i can't remember any game that had girls/boys as the goal in the story. it's usually something else, even though it may be directly connected to the characters

Sounds like most romance VNs I've played, actually. Or even non-romance ones. Kagestu Tohya has a hidden affection meter type thing, and that is the absolute most painful game to play without a walkthrough. Actually, it's painful even with the walkthrough.

there are also shorter, simpler games that are easy to get through. that hidden affection meter can get annoying in some games, because it's so hard to find out what choices make the affection score go up and down. in hunks workshop, the affection points were mostly gotten through what jobs the guys were given, and figuring out which ones to choose for what character wasn't exactly easy, since they behaved just the same outside work

might be better to start with something easy where different choices open different routes, so it's easier to figure out when you make a good or bad choice
あっ ちょっと死んじまった

Shinmaru

Shinmaru

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico
I'll try to organize things later on, it's really difficult to juggle learning Python and making a story plus organizing it. :unsure:

Yaomo

Yaomo

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,757 posts
so you're learning python first?
あっ ちょっと死んじまった

Shinmaru

Shinmaru

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico
pretty much all together, I get the main concept since I have prior experience with other languages and this one is not too hard either, I just want to learn everything properly so I can make it as advanced as possible, to use renpy you barely need python knowledge but with it, you can make advanced and complicated structures, I plant to make it divided, the dialog apart from everything else, so editing the story can be easier, I have seen many Renpy VN scripts that others had made and most just stick to one single main file, I think that's just a foolish clutter in programming.

Building a proper story at the same time can be time consuming, you can also say that I'm a little uninspired when I try to cook up stories but if I get in a roll, there is no stopping me! :P

Yaomo

Yaomo

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,757 posts
give me some example code later... i learn easier if i see how it's done first
i just realized that i really want to learn this
あっ ちょっと死んじまった

Shinmaru

Shinmaru

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico
Renpy or Python?
Either way, here:
Renpy:
http://renpy.org/doc/html/language_basics.html
it give examples as you go reading be sure to check documentations, they are highly informational.

Python:
PDF - Learn Python The Hard Way 2nd Edition Torrent(Don't be scared, it's not the "hard way", just read the introduction you'll understand.)
http://www.demonoid.me/files/details/2735349/009063660195/

http://python.org/doc/
All you need to know about Python in full detail

I would suggest to start with the book, so you get the idea or with renpy if you want the basic idea about renpy language(Python based).