Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

[Development] [Discussion] Visual Novel

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

Poll: Visual Novel (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think it's a good idea?

1. Yes (20 votes [68.97%])

Percentage of vote: 68.97%

2. Maybe (8 votes [27.59%])

Percentage of vote: 27.59%

3. No (1 votes [3.45%])

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

What genre would you like out of a Visual Novel?(Choose All that Applies to you)

1. Love (18 votes [26.09%])

Percentage of vote: 26.09%

2. Ero (11 votes [15.94%])

Percentage of vote: 15.94%

3. Action (13 votes [18.84%])

Percentage of vote: 18.84%

4. BL (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. GL (1 votes [1.45%])

Percentage of vote: 1.45%

6. Horror (8 votes [11.59%])

Percentage of vote: 11.59%

7. Comedy (17 votes [24.64%])

Percentage of vote: 24.64%

8. Others(Post Comment with "Genre Poll" and specify any of your liking) (1 votes [1.45%])

Percentage of vote: 1.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Shinmaru

Shinmaru

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico
::UPDATE:: Summus Visual Art
We have our development forum, where the full discussion will take place, you can join us if you'd like and/or join our Dev team.
LINK:
http://summus-va.forums.net.bz/

Have you ever liked to make your own VN but never had the programming know-how?

Well, currently I'm learning Python.
Why python? Because of ren'py, Ren'py is a visual novel engine created in python.

What do we need?
Story-writers - they can be original or fan fiction.

Artist - people that can draw well, this can be of great experience if you want to hone your abilities.

Songwriters/Music Composer - will make opening songs(if they want to) bgm effects and more.

Programmers - you know the drill.

Let me know what do you think about this idea.

Dev Team Members:

Programmer:
Shinmaru

Story-Writer:
Shinmaru
JustAPasserBy

Music Composer:

Artist:
Niiw
VaLkyRiE(UI Designer)

Current Progress:

Characters:
	Takumi Shinji:
		Description:
			The main character in this story, he is smart, looks are a little above average, he is "OK" in Sports.
			He lost his Father at an early age, and his mother at the end of Elementary, He currently lives with
			his Aunt, He attends Nakamura High-school and he is on his freshmen year.

Akihito Mika:
		Description:
			Heroine, Shinji's Childhood "Cousin"/friend, Athletic, considered one of the school beauties, Speculated
			to have a crush on her cousin Shinji, though deny it when questioned, Is the Student Council President,
			very Charismatic. Knows something that she doesn't want Shinji to find out.

Kitamura Mizuru:
		Description:
			Heroine, She is Vice President of the Photography Club, She has an unorthodox way of seeing things, she
			has many admirers but her personality makes her extremely hard to approach, can be mainly seen taking scene
			photos or "things" that catches her interest.

Saionji Karen:
		Description:
			Heroine, A half-blood Japanese/British, Somewhat outgoing and very assertive, been a bully to a particular
			"someone"(since middle school), Great Athlete and Ace Member of the School's Volleyball Team, has a bit
			of a "Tsun" personality, has rejected many love attempts from all of the guys, some have come to believe
			she is a "Lez".

Haname Aoi:
		Description:
			Heroine, The intellectual Girl, Very Smart, has no interest in the opposite nor same sex as that or so they
			say, member of the Literature Club, can be somewhat of a daydreamer, some say she reads BL books but no one
			has ever seen her reading it.

Yamamoto Sango:
		Description:
			Shinji's friend, Short Stop for the baseball team, usually hangs out with Shinji, but it's short-lived
			because of baseball practice, has a goofy personality and likes to tease Shinji about Mika.
			Dependable, but somewhat stupid from time to time.

Story:

Have you ever thought you might be forgetting something...something important...that...you might have forgotten?
	I've felt this kind of feeling even since my parents passed away, I've had this prick in my heart that I have forgotten something that, even I would be scared to remember.
	I just... don't know...what...Shinji...huh?...Shinji,,,Wa...U...p...	

Mika: SHINJI WAKE UP!!!!!! It's time to go to SCHOOL!
	Shinji: WAAAGH!!! Mi-Mika what the heck are ya doing!?
	Mika: Waking you up, ofcouse! Wake up we'll be late for breakfast and school if you don't hurry!
	Shinji: I get it, I get it, I'll wake up.
	Mika: Alright, I'll be downstairs.

Mika has been cheery lately, it must be since we are starting the second term of my freshmen year, well time to get up.

*Goes to washroom*

Hmmm, we are almost out of toothpaste.

Shinji: OBA-SAN WE ARE ALMOST OUT OF TOOTHPASTE!!
	Oba-san: I"M GOING OUT SHOPPING LATER, I'LL BE SURE TO BUY SOME!!

*Brushes teeth*

I've been living with Oba-san ever since the end of elementary when my mother passed away. It has been good my time with them, since Mika and Oba-san take good care of me. Still I never knew... SHIJI!!!!
	Shinji: ACK! HACK!! CHOUGH CHOUGH!!! YOU TRYING TO KILL ME!!!
	Mika: Waaa! I-I'm sorry Shinji.
	Shinji: *Sigh* Don't worry!
	Mika: Thank you! Anyways, we are going to be late, Shinji!
	Shinji: What time is it?
	Mika: 15 till 8!
	Shinji: WHAT? It takes us 15 minutes just to get to the gate!

I run and get ready as soon as possible, barely getting properly dressed.
	I run down stairs and rush right out the door!

Oba-san: Be careful when you run!!
	Shinji & Mika: We Will!
	Mika: Come one Shinji, run faster, I'm going to be late!!
	Shinji: I'm...run..ning..as...fast...as..I..can!
	Mika: Sheesh, you're helpless!
	Shinji: Yo..u..know...I'm..not..good...with..sports..even...less...running!
	Mika: ok I'll help you out!

Mika suddenly grabs my hand, wow, a girls hands are so... *YANK*... Huh?

Shinji: Mi-Mika! S-slow down, you're pulling too hard!!!!
	Mika: What cha say, Shinji?
	Shinji: AAAAHHGGG!!!

Oto-san, Oka-san, I'll be there with you soon!!!

Mika: We made it and with 5 minutes to spare!
	Shinji: T-that...must..be...a...new..world..record!
	Mika: right? I'm fast aren't I?

Maybe too fast for my own good, note to self, never keep Mika waiting!

Mika: Come, you have to get to your class.
	Shinji: Ok..I'll...be..there,..let...me..catch...my..breath!
	Mika: Ok Shinji, see you at lunch!
	Shinji: Right..See you later!

*CHAACHIII*

Shinji: huh? did I hear a camera shutter?

*Spots the culprit.*

Girl: He hee!

*Girl runs away.*

Who the heck was that girl? Anyhow, I need to get to class, before I get yelled at!

Development Pictures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Shinmaru, 12 July 2012 - 10:45 PM.

Icee

Icee

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 666 posts
Wow that sounds like a really interesting idea. It'd be fun if you could get people and then achieve something... hm...
I have to say I doubt I could help much... Don't know codes or any of that stuff so can't help with the programming part... dunno 'bout motivation to learn a language haha... hm... Can't compose for my life xD Artist... meh, I'm not a good artist, though I could have fun just drawing a draft of something... Well, I mean, it takes me hours for something that doesn't look decent XD Storywriter... um... I don't think I'd be able to write a story for a visual novel ;.; Could probably help add details to the story though from a general idea or something... >.>
But all in all, you got a good idea... hm... maybe you could try to team up with the manga development..? xD I mean, some people seem to be trying to make a manga so... there could be a visual novel of it...

IM or it's for naught

Yaomo

Yaomo

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,757 posts
  • Locationwathcing you from some place far away
the artists are the hardest ones to get

/experience from manga group
あっ ちょっと死んじまった

Shinmaru

Shinmaru

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico
I'm the type of guy that is "all around" I know a little of everything, programming is my stronger point, next is Storywriting, then drawing and my "Can't do it to save my own life" is music composition.

Joining the Manga group maybe a great idea, but I have heard that they have few artist as it is, and if I go and drop in my idea most artist may prefer to make a VN since it is much easier to make than a manga(Art side), though in reality it is harder than a manga because of their programming learning curve.

Any bit of help is welcome, plus I'm still learning, so if this picks up it will be a while till we can get a good story rolling and that is enough time for me to get better at Python.

the artists are the hardest ones to get

/experience from manga group

Making a VN is similar to making a manga except that manga can't barely reuse art pieces meanwhile VN can reuse them with out hurting it. In an Artist perspective it would be easier to make a VN than a manga.

Yaomo

Yaomo

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,757 posts
sure, i realize that. haven't played bl games for nothing....
but the artists still tend to be busy people

already gave up on the manga project, so just go ask in the graphix section
if anything at all was created here, i'd just be glad
あっ ちょっと死んじまった

Supreme_Lurker_Primo

Supreme_Lurker_Primo

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,703 posts
  • LocationSomewhere. Nowhere. Everywhere.
Sound interesting, I`m technologically- challenge so programming is a no-go for me. I can possible do a story board, though it really depends if I have time or not and my grammar is beyond any grammar nazi can salvage. I do not think I can be of much used, I do play a instrument and a some background in creating scores and the likes ,but I don't I can be helpful much due to summer classes .
bhestw.jpgTincek-Marincek

codetoki

codetoki

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 389 posts
I wanna write a story but i'll need people to review my work because sometimes it can be pretty bad and I'm busy till the 23rd
Spoiler

Spoiler

manga2x

manga2x

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 575 posts
  • LocationTawi Tawi naval district
If you are seeking an artist
I suggest you recruit them from Deviant Art, post your suggestion there
http://www.deviantart.com/

Liar

Liar

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 472 posts
This sounds nifty! I can help write a story!

Shinmaru

Shinmaru

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico

If you are seeking an artist
I suggest you recruit them from Deviant Art, post your suggestion there
http://www.deviantart.com/

I like your idea, but I honestly want to make it with the people of batoto, I know that there are great artist in devianart, but what better than to make it from the community you belong to.

sure, i realize that. haven't played bl games for nothing....
but the artists still tend to be busy people

already gave up on the manga project, so just go ask in the graphix section
if anything at all was created here, i'd just be glad

Yeah, if I see good feedback from here I will post a recruitment thread in there.

Sound interesting, I`m technologically- challenge so programming is a no-go for me. I can possible do a story board, though it really depends if I have time or not and my grammar is beyond any grammar nazi can salvage. I do not think I can be of much used, I do play a instrument and a some background in creating scores and the likes ,but I don't I can be helpful much due to summer classes .

i understand, anyways any help is welcome, also, this goes for anyone, be more confident, you never know if you are good or not till you try, I'm not a savant in Programming, but I do get the concept and that helps me move in and learn it, even if it takes time, I basically started learning Lua then Bash(Unix language) then Java, VB and now I'm self teaching Python. Grammar is not a problem because stories get revised to check for any bad grammar what matters is the content.

I wanna write a story but i'll need people to review my work because sometimes it can be pretty bad and I'm busy till the 23rd

Same as I told Supreme, grammar is no real issue(nothing is concrete until final release).

This sounds nifty! I can help write a story!

I figured it would be a good idea, I was mainly inspired by "Katawa Shoujo" and (Fan Fic VN) "Clannad: The Past Path".

manga2x

manga2x

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 575 posts
  • LocationTawi Tawi naval district
You need to explain a bit more on What is Renpy
plus, provide a link to Renpy VN engine and an example of fan made VN

Thanks

Shinmaru

Shinmaru

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico

You need to explain a bit more on What is Renpy
plus, provide a link to Renpy VN engine and an example of fan made VN

Thanks

No problem.
http://www.renpy.org/
Ren'Py is a free Visual Novel Engine based on Python, it allows users(with some programming language, basically Python) to make basic VNs to Completely Advanced VN Games(Date Sim, VNRPG, SIMULATOR, etc) some of those advanced VN are Pay 2 Play, but basically Ren'Py is an Unlimited VN tool in the hands of a real Python Programmer.

Most notable(In My Opinion) are "Katawa Shoujo" http://katawa-shoujo.com/ and Clannad: The Past Path(for those of you who are Clannad fans) http://clannadppvisualproject.wordpress.com/ both of those VN are free and very good example of what Ren'Py can do(there more advanced games, but they are mainly Pay 2 Play).

Edited by Shinmaru, 18 June 2012 - 10:18 PM.

wEr4

wEr4

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,068 posts

Ren'Py is an Unlimited VN tool in the hands of a real Python Programmer.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I had some fun making an (in progress) KN with Ren'Py as a sort of a Hello World into the system.

I believe a Visual Novel is a next-generation version of the novel which is more appealing to the senses and paper-saving. A new way to tell the story. (But a good author can still enthrall with a good ol' book.)

You have a great idea and I've seen some pretty great artists here. Go for it~~!!

*Votes yes and for love* because I don't think Action has that much scope if you're looking for a VN. I think Romance or the Other category are much more in line with the VN system. Actions more suited for an RPG (made using RPG maker) or something similar(but this is just my opinion).

Edited by wEr4, 19 June 2012 - 05:20 AM.

Posted Image

Rien ne pèse tant qu'un secret...

Shinmaru

Shinmaru

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I had some fun making an (in progress) KN with Ren'Py as a sort of a Hello World into the system.

I believe a Visual Novel is a next-generation version of the novel which is more appealing to the senses and paper-saving. A new way to tell the story. (But a good author can still enthrall with a good ol' book.)

You have a great idea and I've seen some pretty great artists here. Go for it~~!!

*Votes yes and for love* because I don't think Action has that much scope if you're looking for a VN. I think Romance or the Other category are much more in line with the VN system. Actions more suited for an RPG (made using RPG maker) or something similar(but this is just my opinion).

Completely Understand you, I placed Action since, VN RPG have become somewhat popular, the RPG aspect is only in player stats and such, but the fundamental part of storytelling is purely intact. This just adds the "game" part into a VN similar to how Date Sim are.

I was just browsing the Ren'Py Documentation for reference and I'm working With my Python Book(Learn Python The Hard Way),which goes without saying, it is a very good book for learning the Python Programming Language.

MezzoParody

MezzoParody

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 388 posts
I've dabbled a bit with Ren'Py before, but I got bored very quickly when I realized I didn't have a story I wanted to tell. I wish you guys the very best of luck, though I'm always highly skeptical of open-community projects like this. It's usually easier to start with a solid idea and then try to find people to match it, rather than gathering people and then trying to come up an idea...

I don't think Action has that much scope if you're looking for a VN. I think Romance or the Other category are much more in line with the VN system. Actions more suited for an RPG (made using RPG maker) or something similar(but this is just my opinion).

Well, I'd say the visual novel format is good at handling just about any genre. Fate/Stay Night is a great example of an action VN, and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni pretty much defines mystery/horror. So it really just comes down to writing whatever genre the writer is most comfortable with. Visual novels are just as versatile as the non-visual kind of novel. And just as difficult to write, I imagine =/

wEr4

wEr4

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,068 posts

Completely Understand you, I placed Action since, VN RPG have become somewhat popular, the RPG aspect is only in player stats and such, but the fundamental part of storytelling is purely intact. This just adds the "game" part into a VN similar to how Date Sim are.

I was just browsing the Ren'Py Documentation for reference and I'm working With my Python Book(Learn Python The Hard Way),which goes without saying, it is a very good book for learning the Python Programming Language.

I see...Hmm... I'll look into that particular book, thanks for the info. I was looking around for a good Python book. If you want, I can show you my (incomplete) KN for ze musical compostions, the feel and all... It's still in stage v0.1 though... We can compare ideas and all too.

I've dabbled a bit with Ren'Py before, but I got bored very quickly when I realized I didn't have a story I wanted to tell. I wish you guys the very best of luck, though I'm always highly skeptical of open-community projects like this. It's usually easier to start with a solid idea and then try to find people to match it, rather than gathering people and then trying to come up an idea...

Well, I'd say the visual novel format is good at handling just about any genre. Fate/Stay Night is a great example of an action VN, and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni pretty much defines mystery/horror. So it really just comes down to writing whatever genre the writer is most comfortable with. Visual novels are just as versatile as the non-visual kind of novel. And just as difficult to write, I imagine =/

Agreed. That's why I'm doing my KN on my own until it's story gets concrete. Zen I'll ask for help since I can't draw worth a damn...

Yes, while that may be true (and I believe it is). I was just saying that Action's more suited to and RPG form and aspect of gameplay so it can better immerse the user. I am not saying that an action VN can't engage the user. It most certainly can as a good author can mesmerize with his writing alone.

Well, this may be a matter of opinion, but I find VN's to be more harder to write due to the branching story and endings, making sure each ending is given the same care and attention as others. That's why I opted for a KN which is basically a VN without choices and a single simple story. :)
Posted Image

Rien ne pèse tant qu'un secret...

Yaomo

Yaomo

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,757 posts

http://www.renpy.org/
Ren'Py is a free Visual Novel Engine based on Python, it allows users(with some programming language, basically Python) to make basic VNs to Completely Advanced VN Games(Date Sim, VNRPG, SIMULATOR, etc) some of those advanced VN are Pay 2 Play, but basically Ren'Py is an Unlimited VN tool in the hands of a real Python Programmer.

even with my non-existent skills in programming, i feel like i should try to learn that
would be interesting
あっ ちょっと死んじまった

Shinmaru

Shinmaru

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico

I agree that not making a solid plan before requiting is not a good idea(I had projects fall like that too), what I can do is attempt to make a start up on the story, since I can see most would probably like to see a love/romance story.

I see...Hmm... I'll look into that particular book, thanks for the info. I was looking around for a good Python book. If you want, I can show you my (incomplete) KN for ze musical compostions, the feel and all... It's still in stage v0.1 though... We can compare ideas and all too.

Agreed. That's why I'm doing my KN on my own until it's story gets concrete. Zen I'll ask for help since I can't draw worth a damn...

Yes, while that may be true (and I believe it is). I was just saying that Action's more suited to and RPG form and aspect of gameplay so it can better immerse the user. I am not saying that an action VN can't engage the user. It most certainly can as a good author can mesmerize with his writing alone.

Well, this may be a matter of opinion, but I find VN's to be more harder to write due to the branching story and endings, making sure each ending is given the same care and attention as others. That's why I opted for a KN which is basically a VN without choices and a single simple story. :)

http://www.demonoid.me/files/details/2735349/009063660195/ this is the torrent for the pdf file of Learn Python the Hard Way Second Edition, Enjoy, to anyone that uses it!

even with my non-existent skills in programming, i feel like i should try to learn that
would be interesting

That's the thing, have some confidence, try is better than just saying, I can't because I do not have the skills. I can understand that some may be intimidated by programming languages, but really, if you think logically, you will notice what do you need to do!

I choose the following Genders:
Love
Romance
Comedy
Drama
Tragic

Setting:
Typical plot, High School.

Type:
Boy to Girls

# of Heroines:
3 - 5

I'll try to cook up a start point story with these settings, I will post results later. Also, I'm bad at making character names, so is i make the characters, I wish someone can really cook up the name.

Yaomo

Yaomo

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,757 posts

That's the thing, have some confidence, try is better than just saying, I can't because I do not have the skills. I can understand that some may be intimidated by programming languages, but really, if you think logically, you will notice what do you need to do!

the only programming language i understood anything of at all was prolog
and i also learned some funny features in lkb, which looks very similar to it in a way
i only saw java after that, and it looked like complete gibberish

python looks readable tho
i can somewhat understand what i'm reading when i look at it, so that's why i thought learning that vn program would be interesting
but not today. maybe when i have a little more time to spare

another little thing...
you may want to change that "gender poll" into a "genre poll"
not that it sounds so bad to be a "horror" instead of a "man"
あっ ちょっと死んじまった

Shinmaru

Shinmaru

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico

the only programming language i understood anything of at all was prolog
and i also learned some funny features in lkb, which looks very similar to it in a way
i only saw java after that, and it looked like complete gibberish

python looks readable tho
i can somewhat understand what i'm reading when i look at it, so that's why i thought learning that vn program would be interesting
but not today. maybe when i have a little more time to spare

another little thing...
you may want to change that "gender poll" into a "genre poll"
not that it sounds so bad to be a "horror" instead of a "man"

Thanks for the correction, to be honest, I did not know that word even existed, I feel a little ashamed, English being my first language. I know English and Spanish at Native Level, comes to show, no matter how much you know, you never know!

You can read Python better than most Languages, because Python is a High Level Programming Language, this means that it is closer to human language.

Don't worry, the doors are always open, so take your time!