Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Listen to the Song Above

• Please log in to reply
1596 replies to this topic

LeturLefr

LeturLefr

Potato

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Town Of Duwang
Hmmmm, no matter what you'll always enjoy random easy going song like that,
I hope Part 4 anime enfing will be similiar like that tho.
Spoiler

Viscoun

Viscoun

Couch Potato

• VisTrans
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

the song has a really old-school feel to it. the hiss of the cymbals seems to echo around the studio it's being recorded in, and the vocals are nice - the singer has a good falsetto. the change in tempo halfway through the song is also pretty interesting. i'd definitely play this song if i happened to be driving down the seaside in some coastal city in southern USA.

what bothers me is the isolation of all the instruments between headphones throughout the song - the drums are only in the left ear at the start, and then the synth is only in the left ear at the middle of the song. the vocals also seem to be trapped in the right ear. i guess it's an effect, but it makes the song sound really incohesive. it's all a bit of a headache.

i would listen to other songs by this artist, if i actually liked pop/rock.

Spoiler

Prophet

Prophet

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • LocationCity of Doors

Edited by Prophet, 03 November 2015 - 11:15 AM.

"Our pasts may be scattered and at times overshadowed by sadness, but they´re also an irrevocable part of our lives and personalities. Even if I could change a single thing, I wouldn´t, because my past was what led me here."

~You have sung to me in my aloneness, and I of your longings have built a tower in the sky.

-Almustafa, The Prophet by Khalil Gibran

Aguirre

Aguirre

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 99 posts

^^^I didn't listen to all of it, obviously...! But it sounds like your typical euroclub music. 

Spoiler

Toastur

Toastur

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 16 posts

Huge fan of instrumentals, really enjoyed the song, very relaxing. 

Spoiler

LeturLefr

LeturLefr

Potato

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Town Of Duwang

Man, reminds me of The Trees and The Wild the kind of song I used to chill on my highschool days,

And talkin' about Instrumental song

Spoiler

GeorgeAlex

GeorgeAlex

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 923 posts

Oooooohhhhh! I remember being introduced to this as a kid man and listening to this once again just brought back one of those few good memories I have. Thanks a lot, man. Thank you.

Spoiler

Song of the day:
Castle On The Hill
- Ed Sheeran

Spoiler

Viscoun

Viscoun

Couch Potato

• VisTrans
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

no comments? lol

the vocals are really mousey, which kind of bothered me. but the background accompaniment, from the sleek guitars to the slow, yet somewhat upbeat fizz of the percussion, as well as the occasional cut-in by the chorus, made up for it. sounds like a fusion of hip-hop and jazz styles, which is nice.

Spoiler

Yan Q

Yan Q

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 890 posts
  • Locationwith your lover

hmm... it's not really my style. 

I can appreciate it, but personally it's a bit boring for me especially with the on going e guitar. 

Spoiler

yes, i bite

fp | ig

Toastur

Toastur

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 16 posts

Ah! That intro! My Favorite Things, I remember watching The Sound of Music ages ago as a little kid. Really enjoyed this.

Spoiler

Aguirre

Aguirre

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 99 posts

not bad, good production there.

Spoiler

Edited by Aguirre, 05 November 2015 - 10:42 AM.

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

Equine non grata

• Members
  • 3,853 posts
  • LocationSan Escobar

sounds like a melancholic cutscene theme from a snes-era rpg o:
has one or two short "doesn't sound right" moments but overall it's quite pleasant.

Spoiler

Mod-in-Disguise

FlQCNQa.gif

You <3

Whoever decided to delete this was an idiot.

| Handwritten kanji recognition || KanjiTomo || Kanji converter || J<->E Dictionary |

Akumetsu

Akumetsu

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 637 posts

Ah I love that shamisen sound. It's also quite neat to hear it in combination with modern day instruments.

Kinda reminded me of this, except the badassery:

Spoiler

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

Equine non grata

• Members
  • 3,853 posts
  • LocationSan Escobar

shamisen

It's shanz, actually. I'm in no way an expert and they do sound very similar to me, but google says that they're different enough from each other in construction/playstyle/sound/cultural background to warrant being treated separately (and that apparently there are multiple similar versions of the instrument all over the asia).

More of the band (though mostly without modern instruments):
https://www.facebook.com/behimusic/timeline

There's also Шанз 3/Shanz 3 that has (big surprise) 3 shanz players (they also seem to do covers of modern songs).

@Topic: me likey, you can hear the tension of emotions they put into playing o:

Spoiler

Mod-in-Disguise

FlQCNQa.gif

You <3

Whoever decided to delete this was an idiot.

| Handwritten kanji recognition || KanjiTomo || Kanji converter || J<->E Dictionary |

Akumetsu

Akumetsu

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 637 posts

Ah, my bad. After googling a bit I realize there really are a lot of different variations. Thanks for the info! Now to figure out the sound differences..

Gotta say I find 3/shanz a bit boring sounding and I can't find much shanz music beside that, but BEHI made some cool stuff.

The song you posted is a pretty epic sounding. It's good music, but not my thing. The guitar + violin is a bit overwhelming.

Now for something completely different after listening to shamisen, shanz and dombra's for an hour ^^

Spoiler

ThatYellowFever

ThatYellowFever

Potato

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • LocationIreland

I can't say that that song is my kind of song but I couldn't bring myself to turn it off for a reason I am yet to realise.

Spoiler

Edited by ThatYellowFever, 10 November 2015 - 12:16 AM.

Viscoun

Viscoun

Couch Potato

• VisTrans
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Interesting example of rock. Plays like a rock song in terms of instrumentals and the rhythm/style, but it has tempo and pitch changes that you don't usually see in most rock songs. Nice vocals, and the falsetto is good. The song doesn't seem to have a coherent structure though, so I somehow zoned out a little halfway through, because everything about the song seems too spontaneous, without enough crunch or any sense of theme to back it up. Nonetheless, still a good bit of progressive/pop rock, if that's what it is.

Spoiler

ThatYellowFever

ThatYellowFever

Potato

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • LocationIreland

Interesting example of rock. Plays like a rock song in terms of instrumentals and the rhythm/style, but it has tempo and pitch changes that you don't usually see in most rock songs. Nice vocals, and the falsetto is good. The song doesn't seem to have a coherent structure though, so I somehow zoned out a little halfway through, because everything about the song seems too spontaneous, without enough crunch or any sense of theme to back it up. Nonetheless, still a good bit of progressive/pop rock, if that's what it is.

Spoiler

They bill themselves as progressive/alternative I'm pretty sure, I saw them live at my student's union which is where I got my exposure to them, they're definitely better when you see them live.

Regarding the song posted above it's not particularly thrilling for me, it suffers in the same way most pop music does in that a lot seems to be going on but nothing actually is, the same goes for the song lyrics it felt like (and I may be completely wrong) that there was very little variation lyrically, that combined with the fact that it reached its climax in the first twenty seconds meant that I was just bored the whole way through the song, at one minute it felt like I had already listened to the whole thing. I can see why others may like it but pop music just doesn't do it for me

Spoiler

Viscoun

Viscoun

Couch Potato

• VisTrans
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

The first half of the song is more like the pop rock I've come to know: virtually identical chord progression separated into slow 4/4 bars, and quiet, murmured vocals in the background.

The second half is a little harder to watch - it descends into some kind of guitar frenzy, like a solo that isn't meant to be a solo, and it is progressive in terms of structure and rhythm, so they deserve credit for that. But beyond that, there's nothing to say. The guitarists certainly seem to like the stuff they're playing, though it's hard to see why the crowd would, aside from the impressive flashing light show.

Song wraps up with a little shoegazing, and back to the quiet of the first half. Ending makes the listener feel a little empty.

Spoiler

ThatYellowFever

ThatYellowFever

Potato

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • LocationIreland

That's math rock, I really enjoy the frenzy of the second half the abrupt nature of the rhythm is great and the contrast with the calm and mellow start is a plus for me.

That reminds me a lot of the emo-esque rock that got really popular around 8-6 years ago, it's alright but doesn't inspire me lyrically or musically, that said its an enjoyable song to listen to despite that 

Spoiler