Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Re: Emergency Announcement: Google Adsense

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

Ren

Ren

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 26 posts
  • Locationhttp://lazyass-scans.org
when you are requesting say a chapter of kangoku gakuen (7mb) file to download, it seeks speed and when you are right click saving, you are requesting a 200+kb (b/w png) page. Which won't. Downloading can slow server compratively more then reading. Its like you want to eat a chicken in once or bit by bit. Hehe :D

Posted Image

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts
  • LocationHere of course!
Well, I'm more concerned for group permissions than server provisioning for download issues. Many have rules that says we're not allowed to give download access. We'd have to remove all those groups' works then, though... they may not be much.

We also don't have a full collection of the archives that were once uploaded. They get deleted either due to space requirements or just don't bother copying when we migrate as they take a huge amount of time to do so. For them, we'd have to make a re-archive which isn't all that nice.

Ren

Ren

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 26 posts
  • Locationhttp://lazyass-scans.org
Same here, even I would not like to archive my groups scans since that can be troublesome if ever we did something licensed T_T
hehe

One thing that can be done is when you are reading like comic X then you can see a DOWNLOAD button on top and since we all upload rar/zip the server automatically detects zips and is available to download instead of linking them like crazy manga [DDL] thats possible right?

I'd also like if batoto had something like when we add a manga we get an option to enter mangaupdates ID like www.---.com/series.html?id=63043
Something like Enter mu ID like we enter the " 63043 " and Kangoku Gaukuen is added as the server pulls the data from the site and copies the image,manga name ,alternate names, origin, author,artist,published in, year, publisher.
And and option to add reviews. This would make it more interactive.

Grumpy: This isn't a suggestion thread. So, I'm just going to leave it there.

Edited by Grumpy, 22 March 2012 - 03:41 AM.

Posted Image

Yaomo

Yaomo

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,757 posts
  • Locationwathcing you from some place far away
umm... can't you make a subscription package and a few donation packages? what do i do if i wanna donate more?
あっ ちょっと死んじまった

Gobb

Gobb

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 71 posts
Pretty much the same thing happened to somemanga a year ago, now the sites dead...

foxyeisenhower

foxyeisenhower

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 795 posts
  • LocationKONY 2013 STOP SOPA RIP Spider-man too soon

Pretty much the same thing happened to somemanga a year ago, now the sites dead...

that's not why somemanga went down and you know that
Spoiler

hero

hero

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,381 posts

are you talking about the admin kicking everyone out or at what just happened a month or so ago?

Gobb

Gobb

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 71 posts

i do, but its the reason we closed regisrations and had to go with donations and shit, and then wutz didn't feel like doing that anymore, it's not the whole reason but it definitely played a part in killing the site.

The reason SM ads got shut down was due to copyright infringement though , so it was bound to happen here eventually either way.

are you talking about the admin kicking everyone out or at what just happened a month or so ago?

It was just the server going off.

Edited by Gobb, 25 March 2012 - 01:15 AM.

browser

browser

Potato Sprout

• tC Donator
  • 6 posts
How about... a p2p content hosting system, like e-hentai's hentai@home? I'd contribute a coupla ten's of mb/s.

This isn't going to help with revenue, but I'm assuming that revenue is only needed to cover costs.

Aote

Aote

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • LocationCloud 8

How about... a p2p content hosting system, like e-hentai's hentai@home? I'd contribute a coupla ten's of mb/s.

This isn't going to help with revenue, but I'm assuming that revenue is only needed to cover costs.

I wouldn't know anything about that but I know that Somemanga went down because they weren't good enough to find the loopholes in the copyright law

About that...

browser

browser

Potato Sprout

• tC Donator
  • 6 posts

I wouldn't know anything about that but I know that Somemanga went down because they weren't good enough to find the loopholes in the copyright law

That's a separate problem, almost completely orthogonal from the one of "how to serve lots of content".

The current solution to "how to serve lots of content" is to host it yourself and pay for it using ad revenue, and it had a side benefit of helping to fund scanlators. But this problem happened. And anytime you make revenue, some groups will be even more unhappy, which is why it is not completely orthogonal.

What I'm suggesting is to find an alternate hosting model.

foxyeisenhower

foxyeisenhower

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 795 posts
  • LocationKONY 2013 STOP SOPA RIP Spider-man too soon

I already said this was false
somemanga's community was more than willing to pay for the server themselves the webmaster was flat out too lazy to organize a second drive

That's a separate problem, almost completely orthogonal from the one of "how to serve lots of content".

you generalize too much to be coherent please be more specific
Spoiler

Harrstein

Harrstein

Potato Sprout

• Contributor
  • 5 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands
Posted Image

Is there any progression on this field? as i'd like to know if i have to find alternative sources of income for my group or that i just need to wait till batoto manages to pull something off

Buttock Follicle

Buttock Follicle

Couch Potato

• Contributor
  • 2,433 posts
  • Locationfuttocking away~
There's a thread in the ninja contributors forum about that ;)

Get contrib status then you'll be able to see it C: