Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Re: Emergency Announcement: Google Adsense

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

kkk

kkk

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
http://archive.foolz.us/a/thread/62229964/#62240594

woxxy

woxxy

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

http://archive.foolz.us/a/thread/62229964/#62240594

There we go, thanks for finding the data for me.

Ren

Ren

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 26 posts
  • Locationhttp://lazyass-scans.org
wowie >.>

If you guys really wanted to fuck 'em over why don't you just keep clicking the ads over and over like 500 times in a day? Adsense will ban the account for life, and they rarely repeal. Google will ban no questions asked, even if it wasn't the fault of the account holder.

Even if the groups use another person's SSN/tax payer ID, it would be easy to keep doing it until no ones left.

Edited by Ren, 16 March 2012 - 07:32 AM.

Posted Image

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts
  • LocationHere of course!

wowie >.>

Yes, I've seen that too. My assumptions about click bomb were actually preceding my read of that /a/ post on March 3rd and precedes the gather of intel on other groups' infos. And I'd like the quell the potential start of fire that might be slung both ways.

But here's the reason why I chose to retract my statement regarding click bomb afterwards.
1. I check my adsense everyday. I have seen zero noticeable increase in adsense click activity until the 14th. And for the 14th, I have no stats. While google does ban easily, they don't ban the second the action takes place. It was wrong for me to assume they would previously. Although someone has reported to me that they did see increase in adsense activity in the past few weeks, I can't see how that would extend to us. Whether or not selective others were click bombed, I cannot say.
2. From what I see, all the bans (for those who did get banned) took place within the same hour, possibly down to a second. This would suggest that it would have been none other than Google pressing the ban for all related to batoto or more precisely those with the behavior of batoto.
3. Google is able to detect basic forms of click bomb attacks. While, I wouldn't put my life on their defensive measures, or even my cup of tea, it does exist. While I can't deny that click bomb may have existed, it is possible that I was never able to witness such anomaly due to such defensive measures.

My current best guess as to why we may have reached the threshold of their "invalid click activity" is that we may have rather reached the borders of their impressions, not clicks. While the phrase "invalid click activity" seems obvious that it refers to clicking, per google's definition, it actually includes impressions. Google adsense pays a mix of CPC (pay on clicks) and CPM (pay on views). So they have a motive to "protect" their view counts as well. Batoto generates extremely high view counts per person, very low click through ratio and very small viewing window. We are very far out side of the norm in behaviors of websites that would use Google Adsense. Google also makes frequent adjustments to who they deem to keep and who to expel. From their new tweak, we may have fallen out of grace. While such adjustments would be made under prevention of false page views and ours are legitimate page views, it is comprehendable how they could mix up such. I can only say it is likely bad luck that had fallen upon us and some jackass google employee who thought he was awesome for adjusting these combined with jackass google policies that allow such practices with minimal repercussions. Putting this down as an explanation does make all the pieces we have fit, including why you-know-who that wasn't banned, though I will not disclose the details of business of other parties in public.

On a small note regarding quoted topic, it's unfortunate that there are people who hate us despite our sincere efforts to make it a better place to scanlate. It's unfortunate that they choose to bash us instead of suggesting us on how we can improve. It's unfortunate that much of their hate is based on untrue statements such as you-know-who is doing it purely for profit when they never withdrew a single cent from adsense.

It is most unfortunate that many will now be short on funding. People tend to spend the expected earnings they see on adsense. But when that disappears, you tend to find yourself having a dug a grave for yourself. So, I can only write a public plea to the community to aid those who need. We pretty much all lose from this event. I guess when the universe expands, not all of it happens the way we wish it to be.

Ren

Ren

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 26 posts

Putting this down as an explanation does make all the pieces we have fit, including why you-know-who that wasn't banned, though I will not disclose the details of business of other parties in public.

You caught up fast on who they are.

It's unfortunate that much of their hate is based on untrue statements such as you-know-who is doing it purely for profit when they never withdrew a single cent from adsense.

Ya, Seriously instead of suggesting us on how we can improve they just attacked on Batoto, and they clearly stated "Attack the public reader first"
~sigh

Posted Image

lel191919

lel191919

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
I think my post is deleted.

Please respond.

Edited by lel191919, 16 March 2012 - 09:29 AM.

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts
  • LocationHere of course!

I think my post is deleted.

Please respond.

Your post was moved to suggestions.
http://vatoto.com/forums/topic/4905-banning-large-watermark-groups/

if your post was deleted, you'll see a big red thingy.

hero

hero

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,381 posts
I have a question, what does it mean when I subscribing? is it something different than how I am now logged in?

Yaomo

Yaomo

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,757 posts
  • Locationwathcing you from some place far away
why not start with taking donations?
i wouldn't ask for anything in return, but it would be cool to at least get a donator status

i don't really like the idea of getting any privileges for money
so how about no ads for logged in members, if this site could survive on only donations and ad money from visitors?
あっ ちょっと死んじまった

soranokira

soranokira

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 687 posts
well, my understanding is that grumpy feels that donators should be thanked for their donation, hence the removal of ads for them. I don't think removing ads for all members who are logged will be good, (though it is viable IF batoto gets enough donations to cover the costs.)

On the other hand, although this is not pertaining to this topic, but since the minor announcement thread is locked I'll just mention it here.
To my understanding, it is possible for certain forums (not sure if it is so for batoto's) to have an auto-cut off signature function. As in, I believe it was at Sakurahana.com or maybe some other site, but any signatures beyond the set limit i.e. 400 pixel height are automatically cut off and cannot be seen. If that function is implemented over here, it would make the actual implementation of the 'hard limits against signature' automatic (instead of having mods/admins remove the sig of the user manually when seen)

The other point is, I think there should also be a minor announcement about the new mini-search box on the homepage right above the google one now? (and, no more google adsense = no more need for the not very effective google search box, right?)
Posted Image
Favorite Manga: Record of Fallen Vampire, Hayate the Combat Butler, Kekkaishi
Main reason: Akabara Strauss and plot/story flow, Tennousu Athena arc/Katsura Hinagiku, Kidoin Nura and story flow

Yu Han Sung

Yu Han Sung

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,989 posts
  • LocationIn Cake Heaven, stuffing myself with cakes(chocolate, fruit, etc.). Mmm... :D
Hmmmm... man, the more I read, the more deppressing the entire affair is:

1) An appeal via Google's official invalid clicks form was probably filed and rejected.

For those curious, this is the form: https://support.google.com/adsense/bin/request.py?hl=en&contact_type=appeal_form&rd=2

And poor Grumpy probably had to undergo this entire process, just to get kicked in the head. :/
http://www.pinoymoneytalk.com/how-to-reinstate-banned-adsense-account/

2) Google doesn't listen much, except when it wants to.

3) Some people are probably out to target this site, for whatever reasons. And they might try to screw Batoto if they're given a second chance to.

Edited by Yu Han Sang, 16 March 2012 - 04:46 PM.

http://www.cakewrecks.com/home/2012/3/29/sheep-who-must-not-be-named.html
For pony!!! :D

Miseng is supposedly the Prince of Zahard and thus, a trap. SIU, you've completely outdone yourself this time. :D :D :D

And I'm very sorry, I just rarely accept friend requests these days. I don't really do Facebook friend requests. Maybe next time. :P
------------------
Even though I like TOG, I have no favourite characters. There are only characters I get attached to, for the moment and some traits I adore, just for a while. In the same way, there is no character I hate or dislike. I may get annoyed, angry and so on, for a while.

Ren

Ren

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 26 posts
Screwing Batoto overall is difficult I bet >.>

Posted Image

©®åƒ†¥µåGGø†

©®åƒ†¥µåGGø†

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • LocationIn your ear.
Assuming this were the result of a click bomb attack or someone just decided to execute one in the future, are there measures that can be taken to prevent something like this from happening with future advertisers?
Looks like a duck? Tastes like a duck? Walks like a duck? It's a panda! :batoto_010:
oh darn.

Ren

Ren

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 26 posts
I bet there are ways to stop otherwise big mangareaders site like mangafox,mangareader etc could be brought down aite?
or maybe noo~~ot... :|

Posted Image

k.i.s.s

k.i.s.s

Potato Spud

• Kiss Scans
  • 21 posts
Has anyone heard of what happened to the tvshack guy? For getting revenue off the site he's being extradited to the USA to be held responsible for his "crimes"...

It could be just me but I think Google maybe preventing a lawsuit against them for "promoting illegal activity" or something when the publishers decide to get serious about scans...

Btw my account got banned :( that was supposed to pay for new books! (and possibly a translation or two...)

Oh btw if batoto needs a hand with anything just ask me I'll be glad to help out :)

Edited by k.i.s.s, 16 March 2012 - 06:28 PM.

raenef

raenef

Potato

• Validating
  • 101 posts
and odd thing is mf with connections to the us doesnt get banned odd indeed...
Typesetter & Redrawer for CWL

Arcenciel

Arcenciel

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 26 posts
USA doesn't have extradition treaties with China. Mf is based in Hong Kong. They're untouchable unless China starts respecting copyright, but that won't happen anytime soon.

Laurens D

Laurens D

Baked Potato

• tC Donator
  • 1,475 posts
  • Locationin the tower!
Yes, Google suck ass.... No offense, they block the account or they will ignore your mails send. Had that once my account blocked for no reason they will send a message back with your account is suspended due invalid click activity and when sending a appeal there is a big chance to be ignored. Or they just say denied without showing any proof.

To me it's just blutant rip off, Atleast try to connect them to send your money. The money on the account is yours even when disabled it must remain yours. Don't give up. Although i heard they come with a excuse that they paid the companies back who paid for it...

Edited by Laurens D, 16 March 2012 - 07:31 PM.

Posted Image

This is not my fault!

You could have bought my cookies.

TheCrowSword

TheCrowSword

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Yes, Google suck ass.... No offense, they block the account or they will ignore your mails send. Had that once my account blocked for no reason they will send a message back with your account is suspended due invalid click activity and when sending a appeal there is a big chance to be ignored. Or they just say denied without showing any proof.

To me it's just blutant rip off, Atleast try to connect them to send your money. The money on the account is yours even when disabled it must remain yours. Don't give up.

actually, this is the first time I have heard of people not being able to get their money back from google... I thought they would send any amount of money back as long as it was above 10 bucks... when you disable it... bit sad if they are lost forever ;(
Posted Image
Spoiler

Yu Han Sung

Yu Han Sung

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,989 posts
  • LocationIn Cake Heaven, stuffing myself with cakes(chocolate, fruit, etc.). Mmm... :D

actually, this is the first time I have heard of people not being able to get their money back from google... I thought they would send any amount of money back as long as it was above 10 bucks... when you disable it... bit sad if they are lost forever ;(

Try telling that to those who'd over 1 million dollars "frozen" by Google.
http://www.cakewrecks.com/home/2012/3/29/sheep-who-must-not-be-named.html
For pony!!! :D

Miseng is supposedly the Prince of Zahard and thus, a trap. SIU, you've completely outdone yourself this time. :D :D :D

And I'm very sorry, I just rarely accept friend requests these days. I don't really do Facebook friend requests. Maybe next time. :P
------------------
Even though I like TOG, I have no favourite characters. There are only characters I get attached to, for the moment and some traits I adore, just for a while. In the same way, there is no character I hate or dislike. I may get annoyed, angry and so on, for a while.