Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Last book you completed

Unofficial Books Novels Literature Reading last read

• Please log in to reply
871 replies to this topic

Hjolmar

Hjolmar

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationnoitacoL

Throne of Glass was indeed mediocre. The increasingly obnoxious romance subplot almost kept me from finishing it, although it was capped with a rather underwhelming fight scene that was solved pretty much by deus ex machina.

Edited by Hjolmar, 13 November 2014 - 08:55 AM.

foNwHOH.png

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,650 posts
  • LocationThe Comfy Chair

Kushiel's Scion, by Jacqueline Carey.

Her writing is lovely, but the stakes in the novel are not so high as in the trilogy before. And I'm missing the previous main character. I'm sure the new one will be just as good...eventually...but for this book he was pretty angsty.

Previous Avatars • Music for February 21...not picked out yet.

Supreme_Lurker_Primo

Supreme_Lurker_Primo

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,703 posts
  • LocationSomewhere. Nowhere. Everywhere.

Blood Rite by Jim Butcher. never in my life had I demonstrate so much anger and violence till this point. Now to mend the broken glass

bhestw.jpgTincek-Marincek

Socrates

Socrates

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 273 posts

Re-read The House of the Spirits. It still is the best book I have ever read. If you like magical realism and altering POV books, then a must read. Plus the penultimate chapter still makes me crey. Probably will re-read the Karla trilogy or some Agatha Christie now that I am in a mystery mood.

Hjolmar

Hjolmar

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationnoitacoL

Just finished Sam Bowring's Broken Well Trilogy. Fairly solid build-up and somewhat cliche world-building but handled with enough pizzazz to make it worth it, only to be let down by a terribly cut short ending. Like, he realized he was running out of novel to wrap it up and bam boom bang ta-dah they win. I enjoyed the other 90% of the story though, although I do feel he overwrought his tale a bit, maybe.

foNwHOH.png

Socrates

Socrates

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 273 posts

Finished the first Infected book by Scott Sigler, as recommended to me by Natureboy. 9 out of 10, would recommend

Hummingmoon

Hummingmoon

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • LocationSitting at a table in the Stray Sheep bar.

Tokyo Demons

(Volume 1, that is. I'm can't wait for volume 2 to come out on paperback. :D)

Edited by Hummingmoon, 29 November 2014 - 10:29 PM.

f30f865350027ec95909c0b7c2ad2d5f.jpg

Socrates

Socrates

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 273 posts
Just finished The Name of the Wind. I sadly really hate Denna. Reminds me too much of Brett from the Sun Also Rises and I have a hard time with the Femme Fatale that she represents. Good book though that I have started the second already

9.3/10

phanta

phanta

Baked Potato

• MoonFlower Scans
  • 1,147 posts
  • LocationThe high ground
Magician - Raymond E. Feist
4/5
Mostly good, but like most fantasy books there were several chapters where I didn't give a f*ck about the POV character and had a hard time getting through. Still better than all those Nasuada chapters in Eldest though

penguin1.gif

~The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do~

Spoiler
Spoiler

You

You

Savage Potato

• Members
  • 3,262 posts

Sword of the Bright Lady World of Prime book one
By M.C. Planck

reading it over a few days was a nice change from reading all in one go.

4/5
I was surprised by how much I liked this story. Imo the description didn't quite match the story. I found myself turning the pages and suddenly coming to the end. Which obviously leads into the sequel, which I have to read now. Was kind of looking forward to more magic though.

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_9e1zrqkbvu8s

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,650 posts
  • LocationThe Comfy Chair

I just finished rereading The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss.

I tend to be very fast reader, which basically means that I end up skipping over some of the finer details, and foreshadowing. So rereading a book almost always gives me something new I hadn't noticed before (up to a point, of course). There were some cool little things I picked up this time, about...various people. And things. I read this book, ummm, something like four or five years ago? I didn't remember as much of it as I thought.

Going from being the protagonist's age (in his recalling), to being older gives a new perspective, too. The main character is a bit more conceited and brash than I remembered...

I would give it an 8.5/10 on this read-through. The story wanders around a lot--with Kvothe actually addresses in the novel-- but it still meant there was less of a driving force for the plot. The sort of 'interlude' chapters end up feeling very tedious, even though I can see now that they're just as important as the rest of the story. And I do definitely see why people call the main character a Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu. 

Previous Avatars • Music for February 21...not picked out yet.

Socrates

Socrates

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 273 posts

Finished Wise Man's Fear.

I read through the first one too quickly. I may have thought it to be better than it actually is. But that is only due to the fact that this book's flaws are too apparent.

Nep says that Kvothe is a Gary Stu. To this regard I agree for the most part. Kvothe has a lot going for him in the first story: he can play the lute, he has a brain, and above all he has his dedication. However, he does have weaknesses ranging from his women issues to his pride. This generally leads to his problems throughout the first book. Sadly, WMF fixes this. At the end of the Day 2 for his story, Kvothe now is living somewhat comfortably and is a sex god, two of his major weaknesses resolved. While this generally is not a bad thing, it creates somewhat of a dilemma if he only has 1 true character weakness left with 1 book to go. Character should drive plot, not plot driving plot. In this regard, I really enjoyed the interludes in this story, as broken Kvothe is realistic. Also, making your main character have sex with almost every 'powerful' female character is fucked up. I don't even want to think about the scene about teacher-student relationships.

Another thing that stands out for me is the pacing becomes shit after Kvothe kills the bandits. The two big draws for the story on this day were the Ademre and the Felurian. The Felurian becomes a fuck fest for almost 100 pages, which kind of felt like a Deus Ex Machina. As to the Ademre, I had a difficulty getting through their dialogue as it was extremely bland. I understand that is supposed to be a point about their culture, as you lose the subtle body language, but how it was written made it extremely tedious to read. The worst part is that the best part of the second half of the book was a small adventure of Kvothe saving two girls.

I need more time to think before I give a rating. I'll probably ask Lan and Rol, followed by editing my current rambling post. Just a little disappointed with bitterness from the loss of potential

Edited by Socrates, 04 January 2015 - 02:26 AM.

You

You

Savage Potato

• Members
  • 3,262 posts

The Rook by Daniel O'Malley"Dear You, the body you are wearing used to be mine."

4/5
Something a little bit different.

Rol

Rol

Oui Purée

• Donator
  • 3,270 posts

The Lies of Locke Lamora, by Scott Lynch

Took me ~100 pages to really get into it but it was really great, especially the second part of the book.

wtjpw658v4xz.gif

phanta

phanta

Baked Potato

• MoonFlower Scans
  • 1,147 posts

Hammered by Kevin Hearne

I'd probably rate this meh/10. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't really anything special either. I pretty much just read it to get to the end

penguin1.gif

~The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do~

Spoiler
Spoiler

Misty

Misty

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNowheres That Are Islands

Eating the Dinosaur by Chuck Klosterman 7/10.  Maybe his best work as far as writing goes.  I personally think I enjoyed Sex, Drugs, & Cocoa Puffs more. 

tumblr_ni6jaspy7M1tgmuxgo1_r1_500.png

phanta

phanta

Baked Potato

• MoonFlower Scans
  • 1,147 posts

Firefight - Brandon Sanderson

8/10

I preferred the first book, but like all of Sanderson's novels it was a good read

penguin1.gif

Spoiler
Spoiler

exz

exz

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNC, United States

Natsume Soseki's Kokoro.

Very solid work for sure. Was left speechless for a while after finishing it.

You

You

Savage Potato

• Members
  • 3,262 posts
Oh right, finally finished

Until You're Mine by Samantha Hayes
Seems like it'll be a creepy read~

I'd been putting it off since i accidentally saw the last page, which gave away who the suspect was. Good job book people. It wasn't creepy creepy. And having figured out who the person was, it made for an interesting read actually, as I then knew who was doing what, etc. Plus I was able to notice some things I mightn't have. A good read, though a little slow in the beginning, and the suspicions put on the other person were a bit strong, and I would've liked if there was a bit more at the end.
3.7/5

Lanfear

Lanfear

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationFanfiction.net
Vicious - V. E. Schwab

4/5

It was very enterteining but I would've liked it more if the author had told the story in a more chronological order :/

tumblr_oj88tuwaZo1qh0pg6o1_250.gif

Sigrún Mercy