Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Last book you completed

Unofficial Books Novels Literature Reading last read

• Please log in to reply
871 replies to this topic

GeorgeAlex

GeorgeAlex

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 923 posts

Finally done reading the 7 Books by Haruki Murakami:

- 1Q84

- A Wild Sheeo Chase

- After the Quake Stories

- Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman

- Hear the Wind Sing

- Norweigan Wood

- The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

Song of the day:
Castle On The Hill
- Ed Sheeran

Spoiler

theroadstopshere

theroadstopshere

Russet Potato

• Donator
  • 366 posts
  • LocationThat great potato farm in the sky

Finally done reading the 7 Books by Haruki Murakami:

- 1Q84

- A Wild Sheeo Chase

- After the Quake Stories

- Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman

- Hear the Wind Sing

- Norweigan Wood

- The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

What good luck, exactly the man I hoped to see written about in here. I love all of Murakami's short story collections, and as soon as I get a paycheck, I'm looking to start grabbing his novels. What were your thoughts?

Most recently, I finished off a number of light novels I'd been meaning to get to (Dungeon ni Deai, Rakuin no Monshou, and two others), and The Hero with a Thousand Faces. Fantastic read, wonderful collection of mythos and theories.

"Life isn't about lasting through the storms, its about learning to dance in the rain."

Alraisen

Alraisen

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 589 posts
  • LocationProbably not here.

Reread Wise Man's Fear - Patrick Rothfuss

6/5 *^* 

I approve this post. 

But just wait until the Auri novel. That's going to be epic.

Spoiler

http://i.imgur.com/FZox7ZH.gif

Spoiler

Rol

Rol

Oui Purée

• Donator
  • 3,270 posts

The Name of the Wind, second time I'm reading it, felt as good as the first time, 10/10.

wtjpw658v4xz.gif

strixflash

strixflash

Potato

• Contributor
  • 198 posts
Read The Way of Kings and it was bad. Not as bad as Kingkiller Chronicles of course but still not a good read.

All the battles were predictable in WOK, and I think Sanderson considers himself more witty & funny than he is. Don't know why every character in book consider Shallan as witty!

Maybe it's just me but I'm tired of loosing someone close to himself as a reason for fuelling character's desire to protect everyone trope ~_~" Kaladin is full of clichés which made him annoying to me at least. I guess I just hate plain black & white characters.

Edited by strixflash, 05 August 2014 - 03:17 PM.

Noblesse Forever!

Spoiler

Lanfear

Lanfear

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationFanfiction.net
^Who the fuck is Kalazan? You don't even read the books properly and then you say this kind of thing ._.

Not to mention you said a book from ASoIaF is one of the best books ever written.

Man you have weird taste.

tumblr_oj88tuwaZo1qh0pg6o1_250.gif

Sigrún Mercy

strixflash

strixflash

Potato

• Contributor
  • 198 posts
@ Lanfear My mistake. Sorry... I mean Kaladin of course . I read the book properly though. My criticism still stands for why I didn't liked the book.

As for me liking Storm of Swords hasn't got anything with this. I find the other books of ASOIF as average and not excellent as the third. I didn't called it my fav book just because of gore but for the plot & conflicts presented in it. You know Storm of Swords was full of witty dialogues by Tyrion. Yes there was no humor but otherwise it was good. Battles were executed well and even all the betrayals were done smartly.

Noblesse Forever!

Spoiler

I-Am-X

I-Am-X

Mashed Potato

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  • LocationThe Capital

9780006172765.jpg

tumblr_njivsvv03O1s9nzk7o3_500.gif

The Epic Of X:

Spoiler

Zero King

Zero King

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 866 posts
  • LocationThe World I Designed

North Korea Kidnapped My Daughter by Sakie Yokota

Mikachu

Mikachu

Potato Sprout

• Contributor
  • 2 posts
  • LocationAZ

The last book I read was Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro. It was a bit depressing, but I like em that way. (: His other one, Never Let Me Go, is a favorite of mine.

Right now I'm reading Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka. I love it so far, the main character is kinda funny. 

美。

GeorgeAlex

GeorgeAlex

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 923 posts

White Oleander by Janet Fitch

Le Scaphandre et le Papillion (The Diving Bell and The Butterfly) by Jean-Dominique Bauby

Song of the day:
Castle On The Hill
- Ed Sheeran

Spoiler

Alraisen

Alraisen

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 589 posts
  • LocationProbably not here.

I finished American Gods, by Neil Gaiman.

I know I should rate the book, to give some advice, but it is Neil-motherfucking-Gaiman. What do you expect? 

It is about Gods, and about a man named Shadow (I'm translating it from spanish, I may be wrong), that accepts a deal with a strange man. It's weird, man, but pretty addictive. It seems it is plenty of metaphors, I haven't been able to see, but even so, I enjoyed the book.

I think now I'm going to read 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami.

Spoiler

http://i.imgur.com/FZox7ZH.gif

Spoiler

anzu2snow

anzu2snow

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • LocationUSA

The Ritual Bath by Faye Kellerman. The first book in the Decker/Lazarus detective series. I read it years ago, but decided to re-read it and continue the series. It's about a rape that happened near a mikvah or 'ritual bath' in an orthodox Jewish community. Even though it's such a 'heavy' topic, it flows quickly. Since it happens in an orthodox Jewish community, there are Jewish themes throughout. It's that way with the rest of the series, too. It's more on the customs, traditions, etc as well. I'm Jewish myself, so it's very interesting that way to me.

Blog: A Day in the Life...

Art: My dA

My first novel: Alliance

My second novel: Sweet Endless Terror

Lanfear

Lanfear

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationFanfiction.net
The Revenge of Seven - Pittacus Lore

4,5/5 - Damn good. Nine is a badass, awesome as always. Marina was just fucking annoying the whole book. And that cliffhanger :/

Sigrún Mercy

phanta

phanta

Baked Potato

• MoonFlower Scans
  • 1,147 posts
  • LocationThe high ground
The Dying of the Light - Derek Landy
4/5
Good end to a good series. Not completely satisfying, but close

Edited by phanta, 01 October 2014 - 07:57 AM.

penguin1.gif

~The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do~

Spoiler
Spoiler

Lanfear

Lanfear

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationFanfiction.net
Blood and Iron - Jon Sprunk

Meh/5

Sigrún Mercy

phanta

phanta

Baked Potato

• MoonFlower Scans
  • 1,147 posts
  • LocationThe high ground
The Young Elites - Marie Lu
4.5/5
Gotta love an anti-hero

Edited by phanta, 22 October 2014 - 05:03 AM.

penguin1.gif

~The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do~

Spoiler
Spoiler

comabap

comabap

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationThe abyss.

Everwild by Neal Shusterman.

It was interesting... but I had to return the last book of the series before i could read it ):<

tumblr_mfdt1pGSY51rshzuyo1_500.gif

Hjolmar

Hjolmar

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationnoitacoL

Read The Way of Kings and it was bad. Not as bad as Kingkiller Chronicles of course but still not a good read.

All the battles were predictable in WOK, and I think Sanderson considers himself more witty & funny than he is. Don't know why every character in book consider Shallan as witty!

Maybe it's just me but I'm tired of loosing someone close to himself as a reason for fuelling character's desire to protect everyone trope ~_~" Kaladin is full of clichés which made him annoying to me at least. I guess I just hate plain black & white characters.

I had held off from reading Sanderson for a variety of reasons, foremost being my thinking that anybody who pumps out novels at his insane pace must be a hack. I was very pleased with both Stormlight Archive books, but then, I also enjoyed Kingkiller Chronicles too. Sanderson is certainly no Pratchet when it comes to humor, but I found Shallan to be amusingly saucy, although I honestly expected somebody to deck her at some point. But Sanderson writes stories with very well-ordered, complex systems (10 Orders, 10 Surges, 5 Oaths, etc.; compare with Allomancy) that I very much enjoy, and writes entertaining, if predictable, fight scenes. He writes like a manga, which I like.

Spoiler

I find it funny that you're tired of plain black and white characters when Kaladin (and Shallan) struggle with their inner demons a fair bit more than most fantasy protagonists, I'd think. Even Dalinar is pretty gray in his motivations.

If there's a main complaint I have, its that Sanderson is a gigantic tease and he gives a lot to keep track of. The well-ordered, complex system that I love can also be a bit of a pain to think about, and I'm left wanting explanations for more. Also, Kaladin and Shallan very, very much remind me of Raoden and Sarene from Elantris.

Recently finished Garth Nix's new Clariel and was mildly disappointed. His original Abhorsen trilogy is a great exercise in worldbuilding and character growth, and Sabriel, Lyriel, and Touchstone are all immensely likeable. Clariel, on the other hand, spends half the novel whining and the other half being rather petulant. If she got angry or actually managed to take action before two thirds of the way through, that'd be one thing, but as it is she just seems... sullen. Even with the tie-in to Lirael (that the post-word by the author pretty much slaps you with, removing any sense of mystery), she's just... bad. It is nice to get a better taste and view of Free Magic, though, since all our previous protagonists have been Charter Mages or Abhorsens.

Also recently powered through the first five books of Simon Green's Something from the Nightside series. It's a poor man's Dresden with a fair bit more pretentious GRIMDARK, or if not GRIMDARK, some sort of neo-punk-hop-DARK. It's actually the second time I've done this, since I got bored around the fifth book maybe two years back, and... gee, well, here I am getting bored again. They're not bad books, and there's something to be enjoyed in his characterization of the Nightside, but boy does it sort of drag on at times. There's this air of mysterious cosmic forces of badassery working just out of sight, which only makes me frustrated that the protagonists never seem to do anything cool except at the very end of every book.

Currently halfway through Sarah J. Maas's Throne of Glass and being satisfied, if underwhelmed. I didn't expect much beyond typical teen fantasy for young women, and that's exactly what's delivered. An unnecessarily saucy protagonist, enough snark and angst radiating off of everyone (oddly, Captain of the Guards Chaol included) to outsnark a class of high schoolers, and a completely awkward and inexplicable romance between famed assasin Celaena and prince playboy Dorian of the Evil Mustache-Twirling Empire. My (pirated) ePub copy also has the formatting screwed up six ways to Sunday, which makes for a fun time, too. I probably won't end up reading the sequel, if only because the author's idea of what's interesting to write about and my idea of what's interesting to read are very different. Not awful enough to warrant dropping, though.

Also partway (and on and off) through the great classic T.H. White's The Once and Future King. It's great, its magical, and its whimsical and grim in alternating beats. It's difficult to describe, and its certainly not the vigorous, page-turning style of novel that's easily digestible and easily readable (cough cough Way of Kings), but that doesn't make it any less amazing. I have a physical copy, for once, so I read it when my phone is dead.

Edited by Hjolmar, 10 November 2014 - 09:08 AM.

foNwHOH.png

Meat

Meat

Potato

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • LocationNorway

I just read crime and punishment & Kafka on the shore ^_____^

68fTUZ3.png

-

Twitter- Deviantart - Ask.fm