Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

LPW (Last Post Wins) v5

• Please log in to reply
3101 replies to this topic

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
It's traditional, at least. As for whether it's "good"—if your job involves networking, then the show-off and entertainment value may be worth it.

On the other hand it's the rich people who're still dragging around the car they bought used in college that are the sentimental ones. What does "good" mean?

If you just want a car that's exceedingly pleasant to go places in, last I checked a high-end Lexus seemed to be the thing based on driver appreciation—a luxury car but not a show-off.

But then again maybe if you're rich enough you want a luxury limo with a built-in spa instead, because you don't care how horrible it is to drive because that's what the driver's for.

Of course, at the risk of stating the obvious, if you do like driving and think you're rich enough to ignore speed limits or use private tracks/roads or w/e, you could genuinely want a fancy sportscar that goesrealfast. Some people like such things, others don't.

From what angle were you thinking of though? :'o

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Somehow August was only the month before last. When did it move so close to October? :/

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

I saw a poster for breakfast car meet at santa row the other day - vintage car club over bagels. 

In you're in the nostalgia for the past mood (space race vs the Russians) October Sky is a great movie btw

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
"Santa row" XD The autocorrect is strong with this one? (Though my sister informs me that due to sign-lighting issues is has been both "Santa Row" and "Sa tan Row" before XD)

I have almost zero nostalgia for the Cold War right now, I'm afraid, not with Russia having someone who genuinely seems within the realm of possibility of being their puppet (of sorts) running the country. The preceding sentence has problematic grammar but it's too early in my morning to figure out how to sort the prepositional hierarchy I've just blurted out.

Space, on the other hand, is nice. I have mixed feelings.

Edited by pokari, 14 October 2019 - 08:02 PM.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts
Santana row sorry
Friend lunch over there the other day at magiotos
Did you know amazon actually have a bookstore there? A brick and mortar store right across from the borders that used to be there which they put out of business
I think October is a good time for nostalgia like thinking of a lost goal that was sadly not accomplished. It’s like the middle age of the seasons- when the cold is setting in, whatever you didn’t do you probably have to wait until next year

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
That's really quite poetic. It's quite different from how I experience October.

I quite like October. Things are cooling down and you start to get the earthy fall smells which will eventually give way to the wet of winter. What autumn fog we still have shows up now, too, in fact there was some this morning. It ushers in the holiday season with chocolate bars, promising more offerings of food to come in the coming months.

It is the season of snuggling down into blankets in anticipation of winter.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

So I had a bit of a minor accident, on the highway 101. Had a collision. Remember they tell you to turn your head when you're turning, because there's something called a blind spot?

I came out with minor scratches on the passenger side, and the other drive lost her left side mirror. Pretty minor considering we were going 60 and 70 on the highway. Could've been a hollywood scene. 

Edited by Feishy Pit Boar, 16 October 2019 - 05:27 PM.

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Yikes!

I always figure it's blind luck that I haven't screwed up and had an accident due to something like this.

I'm honestly a pretty absent-minded person. I definitely don't remember to do every check that I should before every manoeuvre. Just like I occasionally leave the driveway with the parking break still on ~.~

Anyway, I'm glad you're okay. v.v

Edited by pokari, 16 October 2019 - 06:19 PM.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

Quite right, if she have simply hit me at a corner I'd go into a tailspin and I would end up on the front page news

how exciting... my ten minutes of fame.... even if it's in the obituary section.... makes me wanna do something daring and exciting... like trying to install a dating app

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

Did it rain last night? It feels a lot warmer when it rains. I still woke up in the middle of the night, 5AM? 5:30 AM?

Lately the mesmerism trick of counting down from 200 has not been working. Too many stray thoughts. How is one to maintain focus in a world with so many distractions and attractions.

Edited by Feishy Pit Boar, 17 October 2019 - 04:58 PM.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

I slept at nine thirty last night. Quite nice for a change. Still woke up a bit tired though 

A part of me still felt I should've went to the la convention to meet with the authors of some of the webtoons that I've been following.

Edited by Feishy Pit Boar, 18 October 2019 - 05:16 PM.

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
:/ I'm sorry that you're having sleeping problems *hugs*

I have no idea what I'd do, meeting an author of a webtoon I like. I'm so used to being a filthy pirate who wouldn't dare reach out to an author (and would have had a language barrier in doing so), the fact that I can comment back and forth with certain English-language webtoon authors whole reading their stuff legitimately is already a little jarring, I don't know if I'd then survive a face-to-face meeting XD

I definitely might freak out a bit.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

if you read their works at webtoon.com the official Line site, not sure how that would be against the rules

i think meeting them face to face might make you realize that they too are human, instead of the super heroes that you imagine them to be

webtoons.com sorry

recently I heard that sulli a Korean kpop star killed herself; they pay you but work you to death, literally  

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

if you read their works at webtoon.com the official Line site, not sure how that would be against the rules

i think meeting them face to face might make you realize that they too are human, instead of the super heroes that you imagine them to be

To clarify, I was comparing my manga reading to my webtoon reading.

And coming from as much or more social anxiety rather than hero-worship. :'p (Though there is a touch of the latter to compound things, I suppose. I am nonetheless 100% aware that everyone are regular folks, however.)

recently I heard that sulli a Korean kpop star killed herself; they pay you but work you to death, literally

Honestly the horrors of the asian pop-star business are mich worse than that, like when aspiring young would-be pop-stars pay them to basically be imprisoned, gaslighted, and worked to death.

Which is not to downplay the horrors that some of the successful ones go through.

I mean, super-stardom kills people even without slave-drivers at the wheel. If you care what people think of you—which presumably many in the relevant stardom professions naturally do—the available psychological stressors at hand seem pretty horrific.

Edited by pokari, 19 October 2019 - 11:42 PM.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

Did you have a good weekend poki? It was a strange weekend for me. Umm... it felt like nothing got resolved, which is not surprising because it was the weekend. 

On the other hand I wanted to do so much more to feel a sense of accomplishment, a sense of resolution. This is a conflicting emotion. 

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
My weekend was very nice and thoroughly unproductive. I was alternating flying spaceships in VR and running through Neverwinter Nights with my sister in a LAN party campaign like it's 2002 again. (Does Neverwinter Nights count as old-school gaming? It's like it's on the cusp between being old-school, and recognizably "modern" but still old, like lots of stuff from the DirectX 8 era.)

On the other hand maybe played too much, when I tried playing VR again Monday morning, it sort of ended up culminating in a sprained neck.

But aside from that tidbit, while I haven't been productive, as far as my 10-year-old-self would be concerned, these past few days have been living the Dream. Pew pew RAWR boom! I'd say it's time well spent. ^^

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

you remind me of myself when i was a lot younger, when you can get immersed into something and not come out of it.... 

i think i last had that feel when I was playing civilization (5?) some six years ago... squeezing the last hour of play before I went to bed at 4 am in the morning... that was great ....oh the nostalgia 

i missed... my self ... 

now i sort of have this sense of fatigue that just doesn't seem to go away, like after you went for a long swim and the fatigue stay with you throughout the night and into next day. except with a swim you can feel the excitement of being alive. This fatigue is a mix of boredom and sadness, like is this it? is that all there is? watching life go through its endless round of conflict, of wills fighting each other, devouring, persisting, becoming, unbecoming.... 

Edited by Feishy Pit Boar, 22 October 2019 - 05:01 PM.

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
*hugs*

It's okay, I too have gone through multiple year stints where I never get the chance to be fully immersed in anything. They suck.

In my case, if I go on too long like that it more or less destroys me. So I take some unpaid vacations (I realize not everyone has this luxury), work part-time, don't rush to get a new job when I lose one. According to society, this makes me a lazy—and, worse, unproductive!—person, I think. I don't understand how other people cope. (Well, by the same token, I know for some people, work and its inherent stressors aren't the problem. It's definitely the big thing for me, though.)

As an aside—your description of fatigue sounds very much like depression. I don't have any advice for that, other than to say that in our society depression is perfectly normal. >_>;;; My coping mechanisms for depression are kind of questionable, and unfortunately those of us that are inherently cynical can have difficulty getting help with it because most help/advice seems predicated on a certain amount of credulity for feel-good advice, which the likes of you and I may treat with natural suspicion.

*additional hugs* :/

Edited by pokari, 22 October 2019 - 05:40 PM.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

I can shrug it off in time. Last night I had a dream that was truly macabre. I will spare you the details, but it was definately inspired by the race riots of Malaysia/Indonesia, and probably echoes of the grandaddy of them all, the India Partition. Suffice to say I wasn't very happy this morning.

Also really sleepy this morning. Kinda absent minded tbh.

Should get better after I go swimming this evening. I usually do.

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

*more hugs*

Just remember that the general consensus is that sometimes you can't just walk things off, and need to talk to people. Today is probably not that day, but it seems important not to get trapped in a mentality where seeking help is always untenable. Not being open to the idea that one might need help has caused many people a great deal of suffering, apocryphaly speaking.

And race violence nightmares, sound horrible. I'm so sorry.

I hope you felt better after your swim.

—Pokari, resident Hug Monster, hoping that everyone has more hugs in their life soon.

Edited by pokari, 24 October 2019 - 04:18 PM.