Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

[OOC] On Stranger Tides

Pirates Fantasy One Piece

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

Deviruchi

Deviruchi

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

M7cpZHu.jpg?1

On Stranger Tides

Seventeen years ago, the world changed. One man of implacable zeal and indomitable will, the Pirate King, met his end after sharing with the world the existence of his greatest treasure. Lust, greed, and pride brought a slew of pirates, invoking the wrath of the World Government and the Marines, starting something more akin to a war in this new age of piracy.

Some seas fared better than others: the Grand Line saw a boom of commerce as adventurers and pirates alike arrived, but with so many bloody accidents, costly miscalculations, and gruesome battles, the death toll seemed to rise much more. The East Blue remained mostly tranquil, as it had often been, as did the West. The North boomed loudly, but in the South, there was trouble. Though it was the largest of the seas by population, it did not have the peace of the East, the technology of the North, or the history of the West. Without the staying power of tranquility, craft, or tradition, the South saw the largest boom in piracy from the Blue Seas. Some tales traded of chaos at Reverse Mountain where too many ships tried to enter simultaneously in the dawn light, rushing as if One Piece was just on the other side. Worse yet, the increased piracy left less of the able bodied to defend cities, making it all to easy for failed pirates to return to their seas with many undefended islands to plunder. Some failed pirates turned to other avenues of crime, abusing the fact that the Marines and law enforcement were spread thin.

Countries fell, only to be replaced with new regimes, just to fall once again. Marines, fatigued from the constant struggle, fell to corruption and greed to ease their burden. The seas have quieted in parts, but under the surface lies a thick layer of blight, and thundering skies approach. The seas have never been stranger.

What Is This?

Spoiler

Premise

Spoiler

Character Sheet:

Spoiler

Taken Devil Fruits

Spoiler

Our Heroes?

Edited by Deviruchi, 21 June 2016 - 08:16 AM.

Johnny Paradise

Johnny Paradise

Potato

• Members
  • 133 posts

hihi

I'm thinking up character ideas now and I'd like to run one by you since it's a bit out there as far as DFs go, and I'm not sure if it would really make sense/fit by the inherent rules of Devil Fruits that we've seen in the series. I would like to be a living hive, where my character spawns swarms of Locust-like insects that live in his body and commands them. In a sense it'd be like Capone's fruit, but all inherent--rather than putting things in, things would come out.

Since they're insects, they'd be mindless and whatnot, but move according to my commands.

If you're familiar with Pathfinder, I'm taking a lot of inspiration from the Pestilence Bloodline Sorcerer class.

If that don't fly, I'll do something else (:

Edited by Johnny Paradise, 16 June 2016 - 11:43 PM.

here's to a long life and dead friends

tumblr_inline_nep6qkNSe41sok0j2.png

Deviruchi

Deviruchi

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

hihi

I'm thinking up character ideas now and I'd like to run one by you since it's a bit out there as far as DFs go, and I'm not sure if it would really make sense/fit by the inherent rules of Devil Fruits that we've seen in the series. I would like to be a living hive, where my character spawns swarms of Locust-like insects that live in his body and commands them. In a sense it'd be like Capone's fruit, but all inherent--rather than putting things in, things would come out.

Since they're insects, they'd be mindless and whatnot, but move according to my commands.

If you're familiar with Pathfinder, I'm taking a lot of inspiration from the Pestilence Bloodline Sorcerer class.

If that don't fly, I'll do something else (:

I looked up Pestilence Bloodline. So its the ability to create and command locust-like insects? If that's the case, I don't see why we can't have that. :) It think its versatile and allows a lot of room for growth. A living hive paramecia gives me the same vibe as Basil Hawkins' devil fruit.

It would be similar to the abilities of the Aburame Clan (Naruto) or maybe Tommyrod (Toriko)? This is the image that comes to mind; I'm assuming you wouldn't want to be as grotesque.

Edited by Deviruchi, 17 June 2016 - 01:19 AM.

Johnny Paradise

Johnny Paradise

Potato

• Members
  • 133 posts

More Shino, less Tommyrod, but yeah, that would be the gist of it--tho I imagine it as slightly different, which will hopefully come out when I finish the ideation process and actually make the character.

And yes, much less grotesque :V I imagine the character as frail and sickly, not in danger on the basis of his powers, but still having the wan and slightly turgid appearance that you'd expect from someone living their whole lives in squalor in this sort of universe. Unfortunately, I can't find images to that effect with the hive-like skin, so I'm just going to end up using an image I like then saying "but he totally has gross shit on his face." I'm thinking of him as a scion of filth, an omen of horrible plagues to come--not mechanically, but the perception of him from his home island, which would be a stark contrast to his actual demeanor.

Also I need to find some sort of japanese translation site so I can name the DF x.x

Deviruchi

Deviruchi

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

More Shino, less Tommyrod, but yeah, that would be the gist of it--tho I imagine it as slightly different, which will hopefully come out when I finish the ideation process and actually make the character.

And yes, much less grotesque :V I imagine the character as frail and sickly, not in danger on the basis of his powers, but still having the wan and slightly turgid appearance that you'd expect from someone living their whole lives in squalor in this sort of universe. Unfortunately, I can't find images to that effect with the hive-like skin, so I'm just going to end up using an image I like then saying "but he totally has gross shit on his face." I'm thinking of him as a scion of filth, an omen of horrible plagues to come--not mechanically, but the perception of him from his home island, which would be a stark contrast to his actual demeanor.

Also I need to find some sort of japanese translation site so I can name the DF x.x

I believe I understand what you're going for. Definitely an acceptable ability.

I'm actually looking for an image myself. Having close to zero progress.

Maybe the onomatopoeia of insects? Bu-n this is the annoying buzz of insects such as bees or flies. Smaller insects, like gnats and mosquitoes, make a very similar buzzing sound, that is Pu-n. Tsu/tsuuuu is also often use to depict the buzzing sound (flutter of their wings) of insects.

Johnny Paradise

Johnny Paradise

Potato

• Members
  • 133 posts

Have to figure out some super anime moves and whatnot, but I wanted to just get something down. Possibly hefty WIP, or possibly all done except for techniques and equipment. Depends on how I feel about it in the morning :V

Spoiler

Edited by Johnny Paradise, 18 June 2016 - 11:03 AM.

Deviruchi

Deviruchi

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

Have to figure out some super anime moves and whatnot, but I wanted to just get something down. Possibly hefty WIP, or possibly all done except for techniques and equipment. Depends on how I feel about it in the morning :V

Spoiler

Everything seems fine. I was actually thinking of maybe removing the Techniques an Skills section from the character sheet all together. Might replace it with something else instead.

Hopefully we get a few more. If not, it would make it quite difficult to start this. That's life though.

Edited by Deviruchi, 17 June 2016 - 08:02 AM.

Johnny Paradise

Johnny Paradise

Potato

• Members
  • 133 posts

the dream

Deviruchi

Deviruchi

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

Its fine. I'm practically over the five stages of grief. lol

Unbelievably Majestic

Unbelievably Majestic

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • LocationRiding the back of the Great A'tuin.

Have no fear, character two is here. :3

I wanted to make the Usopp of this RP.

I believe I have done it.

I'm sorry.

Also, I left techs and skills blank because you said you were thinking about dropping that bit. Let me know.

Spoiler

Edited by Unbelievably Majestic, 17 June 2016 - 03:10 PM.

Deviruchi

Deviruchi

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts
Incredibly funny. I was laughing while reading through the sheet. Good job! Definitely a notch above Ussop.

Regarding the skills and techniques, would having to list down your moves be an inconvenience? Or would it limit any of your plans on how he wwould fight?

Unbelievably Majestic

Unbelievably Majestic

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 232 posts

I mean, personally I generally struggle to come up with them. But I could probably come up with some silly finishing move things or intimidating poses easier than it would usually be. Han would undoubtedly have made up such moves for his sword-style.

The problem I usually have is that as a swordsman the move is essentially, I slash you. And it remains that for a while. Eventually you reach the point of samurai-style invisible slash as you fly past someone and land dramatically for so long nobody is sure who got hit and who didn't and then finally you're like oh, I won. Or the throwing out sword slices thing and hitting the walls from a distance. And I'm definitely not wanting to start out at that level. So I don't know what I could have as skills. :/

Mors

Mors

Potato

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationSupra
Interested in this. CS pending.

a6f4b732-ee1c-43f9-a007-079ff2b01822_zps

"The sun is new each day."

Deviruchi

Deviruchi

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

I mean, personally I generally struggle to come up with them. But I could probably come up with some silly finishing move things or intimidating poses easier than it would usually be. Han would undoubtedly have made up such moves for his sword-style.

The problem I usually have is that as a swordsman the move is essentially, I slash you. And it remains that for a while. Eventually you reach the point of samurai-style invisible slash as you fly past someone and land dramatically for so long nobody is sure who got hit and who didn't and then finally you're like oh, I won. Or the throwing out sword slices thing and hitting the walls from a distance. And I'm definitely not wanting to start out at that level. So I don't know what I could have as skills. :/

I'm getting where you're coming from. Given what Johnny's come up with in his sheet, his character is probably around the same level as yours. I could just make the skills and techniques something you earn through time.

Unbelievably Majestic

Unbelievably Majestic

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 232 posts

That sounds much simpler. :3

Deviruchi

Deviruchi

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

How about for the stats and talents? Do you think its okay to leave it as it is or also include some sort of limiter to it? Just so that the scope of one's talent or ability would be clearly be defined.

If I used Johnny's character as an example, he has the Hive Devil Fruit and Student of Medicine as his abilities. I could assign grades or levels to it which would correspond to what he can actually do with them. 

The Hive Devil Fruit would start of as just having the ability to house, produce and command locust-like insects. With each improvement/upgrade, it would allow him to add another facet/aspect to it. Examples would include maybe making them poisonous, carry a certain type of disease, fuse together to create constructs, or transform into a different form of insect. Higher-tier abilities could grant feats. Perhaps something similar to that of Basil Hawkins' transformation to a scarecrow. 

With Student of Medicine, from simply having medical knowledge, facets/aspects that could be added on to it per upgrade would be actual application of his knowledge. Basically first aid, minor procedures, pharmacy. Later on, maybe far more complicated tasks such as surgery, body altering medications, and the like. The image of just using his insects to perform surgery or deliver medical treatment would be quite entertaining.

The same could be applied to Han's poses and swordplay. Your thoughts?

Hopefully I made sense.

I'm just brainstorming here. I know my ideas are probably in between decent/acceptable to "What did he just say?".

Unbelievably Majestic

Unbelievably Majestic

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 232 posts

Sounds good to me. People have done similar things with One Piece RP's in the past. It works.

Deviruchi

Deviruchi

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

Great! I'll just wait for Johnny's response and maybe Mors' as well before completely changing it.

Johnny Paradise

Johnny Paradise

Potato

• Members
  • 133 posts

I much prefer what you just described to skills and techniques lists. Like, so long as you can define what the current tier allows a character to do, then they can have the freedom to come up with however many finishing moves they need without going overboard. Like Joker said, I'm really not very good at listing out all my random ass finishers, but the tiers you've listed were some of the things I wanted to build towards anyways, so everything I want from the RP I can get through that system without the added hassle of individually crafting everything :V

but I am lazy so there's that

KDPtheKing

KDPtheKing

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 67 posts
I'll go back to the old favorite of mine. Another non pirate king aspiring person to whom it matters not to the position since who cares
Spoiler