Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Bring Harmony between publishers and scanlators

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Natureboy

Natureboy

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,162 posts
  • Locationdeep in the forest

Sounds like a lot of scratch until you read publishers claiming $10 billion in losses from manga/anime piracy in the U.S. market. They're gonna want more per chapter than 0.5€ per view. (Sorry.)

iazeru

iazeru

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 23 posts

Sounds like a lot of scratch until you read publishers claiming $10 billion in losses from manga/anime piracy in the U.S. market. They're gonna want more per chapter than 0.5€ per view. (Sorry.)

I don't think so. The 0.5€ isn't a random number, it's based on the fact that a volume has an average of 10 chaps and in Europe it's sold for 4 to 7€ (print version). If you check prices for amazon kindle, they are around 6$ (digital version). Therefore I think this is a good number, but yes, it's just an estimate. The actual price will be discussed with publishers, but I don't think will be greater than that, it will just hurt sales xD

Furthermore, it will be a victory for them even if we can "steal" only 100k from piracy! That would be lost revenues in any case and they will have more money doing nothing xD

Edited by iazeru, 09 June 2016 - 08:52 PM.

zalhay

zalhay

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts
Didn't read the whole topic, but to me it seems that you made the fatal mistake of not talking to enough people with the actual knowledge you need to even tackle such an endeavor. Did you talk to people working on the digital distribution of media? People with knowledge in financing? Marketing? Licensing?
\\ \\
Here's the thing: Even if somehow everything magically works out and your project officially starts, you won't have any audience. Your FAQ shows one thing clearly: You didn't think about marketing the whole thing. You only say that many people would be willing to pay for your chapters, since they want to support the creators of the things they like. It won't work that way. Most users of manga-reading sites use them only to read the things they want. They don't care about scanlators, they don't care about the community on those sites. \\
If you're providing paid scanlations, you can be sure as hell that they will be ripped almost instantly and be put onto other manga aggregators. How would anyone that reads these scanlations on another site ever find yours? And why would that person pay for something they always got for free?
\\ \\
If you like your project and the work you put into it, continue until you get bored of it. But sure as hell, don't expect it to be even a little tiny bit of a success if you don't get rid of your naive attitude.

Edited by zalhay, 09 June 2016 - 08:01 PM.

iazeru

iazeru

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 23 posts

Didn't read the whole topic, but to me it seems that you made the fatal mistake of not talking to enough people with the actual knowledge you need to even tackle such an endeavor. Did you talk to people working on the digital distribution of media? People with knowledge in financing? Marketing? Licensing?
\\ \\
Here's the thing: Even if somehow everything magically works out and your project officially starts, you won't have any audience. Your FAQ shows one thing clearly: You didn't think about marketing the whole thing. You only say that many people would be willing to pay for your chapters, since they want to support the creators of the things they like. It won't work that way. Most users of manga-reading sites use them only to read the things they want. They don't care about scanlators, they don't care about the community on those sites. \\
If you're providing paid scanlations, you can be sure as hell that they will be ripped almost instantly and be put onto other manga aggregators. How would anyone that reads these scanlations on another site ever find yours? And why would that person pay for something they always got for free?
\\ \\
If you like your project and the work you put into it, continue until you get bored of it. But sure as hell, don't expect it to be even a little tiny bit of a success if you don't get rid of your naive attitude.

I thought very well on it instead, I just haven't talked about it :) The most effective media in marketing will always be word of mouth and I'm already spreading the word right now, because I know it will take time to plant good roots in the community. I hope when the time for the kickstarter will come, many people will be already accustomed with the project and will support it. Just for you to know, this isn't the only thread xD

Another crucial factor is scangroups' support. They already have a good pool of fans, so thanks to their help, the campaign will spread even more. After the launch, I have many others ideas to engage users, you'll see ;)

Edited by iazeru, 09 June 2016 - 08:51 PM.

cmertb

cmertb

Potato

• Contributor
  • 161 posts

That's unexpected xD I see you are a contributor, any chance will you give me your direct support? :3

I'm not sure what kind of support you're looking for. A contributor status on Batoto simply means that I am trusted enough that I can upload manga chapters without them going into the moderation queue.

The most I can do for your project is that I will translate there if it ever works well enough to satisfy me.

はりねずみは誇り高き鳥である。蹴らぬかぎり飛ばぬ。

My JPOP music subs (we consider requests too)

iazeru

iazeru

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 23 posts

I'm not sure what kind of support you're looking for. A contributor status on Batoto simply means that I am trusted enough that I can upload manga chapters without them going into the moderation queue.

The most I can do for your project is that I will translate there if it ever works well enough to satisfy me.

That's exactly what I need and nothing more xD Your willingness to partecipate in the project and possibly your support, such us spreading the word with others scangroups or other people who could be interested :3

By the way, I have two questions for the community:

• What is the most annoying thing of the today online reader?
  • What is the most annoying thing of scanlating?

... Plus anything else you feel like could be better

Edited by iazeru, 11 June 2016 - 03:15 PM.