Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Bring Harmony between publishers and scanlators

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

iazeru

iazeru

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 23 posts
Hello everyone!
First and foremost: excuse me for my bad English, I'm working on it >_<

Condensed version:
I want to start a project that let Japanese publishers and scanlators work harmoniously, so that manga can thrive even more! Users will pay a small amount that will be shared between the copyright owner, the scangroup and my site, sustaining the economic of the manga industry. If you like this kind of reality, please give me your support, it is the only way to accomplish it!

General FAQs:
  • Do you really think publishers will even talk to you? lol
    Spoiler

• You aren't the first one trying to do it, why should you succeed where others failed?
    Spoiler

• Why should they give precious licenses to a bunch of pirates?
    Spoiler

• What's about users? Why would they buy it when they can just download for free?
    Spoiler

• What's about Quality Assurance?
    Spoiler

• This is impossible. What happens when you fail?
    Spoiler

• Ok, but publishers aren't interested in the international market
    Spoiler

• They will never do a deal with pirates!
    Spoiler

• What languages will be available?
    Spoiler

• What kind of manga will you publish?
    Spoiler

• This aim only to manga?
    Spoiler

• Who are you?
    Spoiler

Scangroup's FAQs:
  • How does it work?
    Spoiler

• Will you expose us to publishers?
    Spoiler

• Hey, are you trying to dismember my group?
    Spoiler

• Sorry, but I don't like to work with others
    Spoiler

• For me this is just an hobby, I don't want to be "hired" nor obligations!
    Spoiler

• I don't think is ethical to take money for an hobby... / I'm scared money will ruin my group...
    Spoiler

• Ok, we could be interested, what we have to do?
    Spoiler

Edited by iazeru, 07 June 2016 - 09:20 PM.

Couch Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 3,043 posts

This is so absurd I can't tell if you are trolling or you are simply ridiculously naive. Have you even tried speaking with some of the Japanese publishers to see if they acknowledge the existence of a nobody gaijin like you, let alone approve of your ``business plan''? Don't even get me started on the whole mess of rewarding scanlators, putting the content behind a paywall, and the rest.

The opinions expressed by this user are solely their own and do not express the views of Batoto and its staff.

Gala Lion

Gala Lion

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 231 posts

TLTR

sUIceyB.gif

sPYGmxY.jpg?1YXp8ZDc.jpg?1

Kakegurui Official Facebook Fan Page click on the images if you want to LIKE!

iazeru

iazeru

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 23 posts

This is so absurd I can't tell if you are trolling or you are simply ridiculously naive. Have you even tried speaking with some of the Japanese publishers to see if they acknowledge the existence of a nobody gaijin like you, let alone approve of your ``business plan''? Don't even get me started on the whole mess of rewarding scanlators, putting the content behind a paywall, and the rest.

Obviously right now they will never acknowledge me nor my project, that's why I need the support of users & scanlators to have any chance. I know this can sound crazy, but I'm confident enough that if all the step are executed with success, this can be accomplished. It's like a domino. If all tiles are aligned correctly, a beautiful motion will unfold. But still, the first tile has to move or nothing will change and stillness will reign.

Regarding your "pay wall", please don't get me wrong now. As I already said, I'm really grateful to scanlators and their work because at the moment this is the only way to stay up to date with manga and sometime to read one at all, without considering the quality of some "official translations"!

However we all should admit that this still cause a damage to the industry. It's a small paradox, I'll say. Scanlators do what they do because manga doesn't receive enough attentions by the various publishers in each Country, but those same publishers don't give much attention to manga also because of scanlators. Will you invest a considerable sum of money in something that it's already distributed for free? This trend is decreasing but it's still there.

What I want to do is not caging manga behind a wall, but instead giving to mangaka and scanlators the credits they deserve. You should remember that the job of mangaka is really a complex one and they do this also for a living. Come up with a good story is hard. Keep up with the schedules and deadlines can be even harder. Is it really that strange to pay for their work? I honestly don't think so.

I also want to keep price affordable for everyone and do something like Steam do: lots of sales. I've a good amount of ideas that I think will satisfy the majority of people.

The Japanese publishers will not be moved by a nobody like me, that's for sure, but by the power and passion of our community IF our community move.

@Gala Lion: I included a very condensed version in the first post just for you! xD

Edited by iazeru, 18 May 2016 - 07:53 PM.

SystematicChaos

SystematicChaos

Fingerling Potato

• Contributor
  • 93 posts
  • LocationLocation, location, location

Look, I appreciate your enthusiasm, and lord knows I want to see broader legal options for translated manga worldwide. But I think this plan is idealistic at best, and even if you had the whole of the scanlation community behind you I don't think this is going to work. You've identified the problem with the business models of different sites as treating scanlators as employees rather than nursing their passion. Having done a bit of work for Manga Reborn in the past I think this is at least partially an accurate assessment, but you may have neglected to think about why this problem exists. Simply put, Japanese entertainment producers in any industry are highly controlling over their properties. If something's going to be translated into a different language, they want to have a say in how it's translated and released. They place a high emphasis on building trust with licensers and foreign publishers. That's how Japanese businesses operate; they're highly conservative and very unlikely to adopt new ideas like crowdsourcing (which is basically what this is). And the last thing they're going to do is leave their intellectual property in the hands of internet randoms, particularly if those randoms have been involved in (what at the very least they most certainly perceive to be, and if we're being honest, what actually is) piracy.

I'm not trying to crush your dreams or tell you to give up. Like I said, the more legal channels there are for translated manga worldwide, the better. But I think what you need to do is go a little bit further in your thinking, planning, and research, certainly before you invest any of your own money into it. JManga and MangaReborn had other problems in their business models that I think were far more central to their failure or underperformance than that they treated their translators as employees, and the solutions to these problems might be far more simple and feasible than your plan as it stands now. But I would especially do some research on the Japanese publishing industry if I were you.

TOKI DIED FOR OUR SINS

Visit http://www.hokutonogun.com/ for all the MANga you can handle!

besiege211

besiege211

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts

I'll go into detail later, but the gist of it is that such a venture is really next to impossible.  The fact of putting most manga behind a paywall and expecting continuous content relies on the acquisition of high profile series that are next to impossible to obtain.  There is a difficulty in gathering enough volunteers for some groups as it is, and to basically require a lawyer for every chapter to be on hand is not even in the realm of possibility for most groups.  

Also, many publishers use the scan community to gauge interest in certain series before they obtain the licence, which the original publishers will want a LOT of money up front as well as royalties.  

I do not mean to discount your ideas, but do not go forward with this before making many inquiries within the industry itself.  Don't start with the scanslators.

Returning in a bit.

iazeru

iazeru

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 23 posts

Look, I appreciate your enthusiasm, and lord knows I want to see broader legal options for translated manga worldwide. But I think this plan is idealistic at best, and even if you had the whole of the scanlation community behind you I don't think this is going to work. You've identified the problem with the business models of different sites as treating scanlators as employees rather than nursing their passion. Having done a bit of work for Manga Reborn in the past I think this is at least partially an accurate assessment, but you may have neglected to think about why this problem exists. Simply put, Japanese entertainment producers in any industry are highly controlling over their properties. If something's going to be translated into a different language, they want to have a say in how it's translated and released. They place a high emphasis on building trust with licensers and foreign publishers. That's how Japanese businesses operate; they're highly conservative and very unlikely to adopt new ideas like crowdsourcing (which is basically what this is). And the last thing they're going to do is leave their intellectual property in the hands of internet randoms, particularly if those randoms have been involved in (what at the very least they most certainly perceive to be, and if we're being honest, what actually is) piracy.

I'm not trying to crush your dreams or tell you to give up. Like I said, the more legal channels there are for translated manga worldwide, the better. But I think what you need to do is go a little bit further in your thinking, planning, and research, certainly before you invest any of your own money into it. JManga and MangaReborn had other problems in their business models that I think were far more central to their failure or underperformance than that they treated their translators as employees, and the solutions to these problems might be far more simple and feasible than your plan as it stands now. But I would especially do some research on the Japanese publishing industry if I were you.

This is the kind of answers I hoped to receive, thank you :) I also know that MangaReborn and the lots had a very big problem confronting with the publishers, especially the bigger one and for the most important series. I think this was also because at the time they can't really guarantee much because it was just and idea supported by a company (JManga) or a team (MangaReborn). It will be the same if I go there alone.

That's said, if you go on Viz or Chruncy, the two only serious digital manga site that I know, are always behind to Japan release. EG: Shokugeki no Soma is a quite popular manga and also got an anime, but on Viz the last volume available is #11, while in Japan it's 18 and you should add another 2 volumes if we consider the unreleased chap.

It's just natural that a company can't keep up with the release of Japan because mangaka works independently and the translation companies will never have enough resources to cover them all.

On the other hand, the collective efforts possible through internet and fired by passion have demonstrated that keep up with Japan IS possible. Because scanlators works with passion, many times the resulting translation is even better than the official one. For example, in my country they tend to change the PGs' name and so Luffy (One Piece) becomes "Rubber" °___° Can you believe that?! I have to say this is another declining trend, but again, it's still there.

I think all this fact if present well to publishers and with the might of our community behind, have a concrete possibility to shake even the Japanese publishers.

There's also a crowdfunding step and if it succeed will be the most amazing and undeniable proof that users are interested and trust the works of scanlators. This should be enough to make it real.

What do you think was the others problem with JManga and MangaReborn? I've only read about them, maybe you can give a more accurate insight? It will be definitely appreciated! More info we collect, less errors we'll do and more chances we'll have! ^^

I'll go into detail later, but the gist of it is that such a venture is really next to impossible.  The fact of putting most manga behind a paywall and expecting continuous content relies on the acquisition of high profile series that are next to impossible to obtain.  There is a difficulty in gathering enough volunteers for some groups as it is, and to basically require a lawyer for every chapter to be on hand is not even in the realm of possibility for most groups.  

Also, many publishers use the scan community to gauge interest in certain series before they obtain the licence, which the original publishers will want a LOT of money up front as well as royalties.  

I do not mean to discount your ideas, but do not go forward with this before making many inquiries within the industry itself.  Don't start with the scanslators.

Returning in a bit.

I will require only non-exclusive licenses, this means that publishers will have nothing to lose because they can give the same license to someone else. This should increase our chance of success on obtaining licenses and also note that they will get a big share of the revenues that will be lost otherwise, forever.

Sorry, I don't get the part about the lawyers, why do you think it will be required for each chap? It will not be necessary, probably a check during the registration to the site or the upload of a chap will be legally enough. In the worst scenario scangroups will have to sign a contract where they just say they will grant the site the rights do distribute their works and also commit to don't distribute any licensed manga for free. Nothing more than that.

As I already said, if I go to the Japanese industry empty handed, they will never even look at me, I know they are an ivory tower. The scanlators and community support is the first step, there's no other way if we want to have any chance to make it real.

Please note that I'm requiring nothing bounding, I just want their word that IF the project comes to life and IF it's like I promised it will be, THEN they will get on board and just use it. I want to trust their word alone, this is the kind of man I am.

I just want commitment: you, they and even the publishers will have nothing to lose, literally. As I said, I don't want to mess with people.

Edited by iazeru, 19 May 2016 - 09:12 AM.

Mrvirus

Mrvirus

Potato

• Donator
  • 142 posts

How will you handle the quality part, if I may ask? HQ scans doesn't means HQ quality, and not every "Scanlators" do it out of passion but something else, another problem is the free for everyone, popular series will have many groups working on them, there will be many many different version to choose(Because money is involved, obviously). Will there be example pages where readers can view before the purchase? Also the paywall, most readers don't give a **** about the authours or Scanlators, all they care about is "free stuff". This also means "Scanlators" will care less about quality, because ealier release = more money, cause most readers read the ealier release. 

Posted Image

Bokuboy

Bokuboy

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 260 posts

Here are my thoughts...

-

So, you're basically saying that you want people to pay you money for something that everyone can get for free* anyways?

(*Please Note: 'free' being a relative term for the availability of content provided by fans (scanlators) for fans)

Yeah, that is NEVER going to happen.

People do this stuff because they like it... and like that they can make other fans really happy by providing the translations they so desperately want because they are fans as well.

If you try to turn it into a business, into something that they HAVE to do, it will die a death so fast that you won't know what happened to it.

I can't really put it more bluntly than that.

-

If, by some sheer fluke, you got enough scanlators/groups, or even just exclusive raw providers with enough manga (and their relative licenses) to justify a paid business model, you'd take away everything that the community has been building for years. I agree with Mrvirus in the above post... the quality will severely decrease and not justify the cost.

That's what I believe, anyways.

*\(シ)/*

Russet potatoes are the most delicious!

Natureboy

Natureboy

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,162 posts
  • Locationdeep in the forest

Not that I've been around the scanlation community as long as many people here, but the only context where I've seen a successful transition from an enthusiast provided scans to a 'work-for-hire' model was translating ecchi/borderline hentai manga (for example, providing professional quality re-releases of Velvet Kiss). As far as I know, those involved direct negotiations among the scanlators and English license holders who didn't want to start from scratch. There wasn't a third party match-maker, the way you envision.

It may have helped that erotic manga already had an established practice of scanlation 'on commission'.

edit: The creation and subsequent failure of Tokyo Pop was before I started reading much manga. Accounts I've read suggested that love for the form helped motivate some of the people working on that project, but the market still needed to pay the bills of a for-profit publisher.

Edited by Natureboy, 22 May 2016 - 06:07 AM.

iazeru

iazeru

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 23 posts

How will you handle the quality part, if I may ask? HQ scans doesn't means HQ quality, and not every "Scanlators" do it out of passion but something else, another problem is the free for everyone, popular series will have many groups working on them, there will be many many different version to choose(Because money is involved, obviously). Will there be example pages where readers can view before the purchase? Also the paywall, most readers don't give a **** about the authours or Scanlators, all they care about is "free stuff". This also means "Scanlators" will care less about quality, because ealier release = more money, cause most readers read the ealier release. 

I have to admit that the QA parts is still in development and any suggestion will be appreciated. At the moment, I plan to have a quality check upfront by an internal team, when the scanlator register and for an X amount of releases, depending on how well they perform. I don't really know if, especially at the beginning, I will have enough resources to do so efficiently. Perhaps we'll just do this when there's more than 1 group who want to translate the same manga or for the more popular ones.

The other part of the system is the user herself. Everyone who bought a chap can also up or downvote it based on the quality; the downvote should be motivated. If some scangroup got too much negative feedback, then the internal team will check and possibly suspend it for that manga or for the entire site.

I will also try to give appeal to other less popular manga raising the % the scangroup get on each sale for it until there's enough monthly sales.

I'm also thinking on giving access to all the various versions of a chap, so the user can choose which group they prefer based on the actual work. We have three way:

• the user choose which scangroup upfront, and maybe will choose another one the next time after checking the others available.
  • the sale go to the chap with the most % of read pages. Two problems: what to do if the user don't read the chap or read more than one completely?
  • the user choose upfront but can also change the sale. Perhaps if they check another version and read at least 30% of it, a dialog popup asking them if they want to change the preferred scangroup. If the prev scangroup haven't been paid yet, then the sale go to the other one.

I was planning on discussing this with the scangroups when the time comes. I don't think will be good for anyone if we lock the various version of the same chap.

We are also considering a subscription model where the dividends are shared based on chap views, but here a question arise: if I read one chap and then another version, should this count as 2 views or 1 view?

Please took in mind that this, like any other project, can't address the needs of everyone and is naïve to hope it will erase manga piracy completely. What it can do is create a nice environment where people who actually care for the scangroups and mangaka, for the opera itself, can express their gratitude and support them. The idea came to me exactly when I searched for a service like this and also found a post where other users were looking for the same thing.

Not that I've been around the scanlation community as long as many people here, but the only context where I've seen a successful transition from an enthusiast provided scans to a 'work-for-hire' model was translating ecchi/borderline hentai manga (for example, providing professional quality re-releases of Velvet Kiss). As far as I know, those involved direct negotiations among the scanlators and English license holders who didn't want to start from scratch. There wasn't a third party match-maker, the way you envision.

It may have helped that erotic manga already had an established practice of scanlation 'on commission'.

edit: The creation and subsequent failure of Tokyo Pop was before I started reading much manga. Accounts I've read suggested that love for the form helped motivate some of the people working on that project, but the market still needed to pay the bills of a for-profit publisher.

I didn't know about Tokyo Pop, I will research it, thanks ^^

Here are my thoughts...

-

So, you're basically saying that you want people to pay you money for something that everyone can get for free* anyways?

(*Please Note: 'free' being a relative term for the availability of content provided by fans (scanlators) for fans)

Yeah, that is NEVER going to happen.

I think I already answered it on the first part of this post.

People do this stuff because they like it... and like that they can make other fans really happy by providing the translations they so desperately want because they are fans as well.

If you try to turn it into a business, into something that they HAVE to do, it will die a death so fast that you won't know what happened to it.

I can't really put it more bluntly than that.

-

If, by some sheer fluke, you got enough scanlators/groups, or even just exclusive raw providers with enough manga (and their relative licenses) to justify a paid business model, you'd take away everything that the community has been building for years. I agree with Mrvirus in the above post... the quality will severely decrease and not justify the cost.

That's what I believe, anyways.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do NOT xD I understand their passion because it is also my passion and I don't want to see it spoiled! That's why I'm 100% committed to give scangroups all the freedom they want and if publishers will not accept this in any way, then the project just fails. But hey, we will never found out if we don't try!

I honestly think that quality will increase in this environment because each sale will be a concrete signal that users are supporting their work. If I was a scangroup's member, this will motivate me to improve myself even more, is always good to see your work appreciated and your passion shared ^^

Edited by iazeru, 22 May 2016 - 11:08 AM.

iazeru

iazeru

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 23 posts

To all of you who think the big publishers will never accept this kind of project, please read this article:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2015-09-15/kodansha-advanced-media-on-the-future-of-manga/.92965

I think now is the right moment to give a try, because the awareness and desire to bring manga outside Japan seems very high!

They even cite JManga as something they miss!

Edited by iazeru, 22 May 2016 - 03:14 PM.

Mrvirus

Mrvirus

Potato

• Donator
  • 142 posts

I plan to have a quality check upfront by an internal team.

What do you mean by this? Like hiring professional to check on the work? Or having a group that you trust checking the work? Then again, how do you know that that group is doing HQ quality?

Everyone who bought a chap can also up or downvote it based on the quality; the downvote should be motivated. If some scangroup got too much negative feedback, then the internal team will check and possibly suspend it for that manga or for the entire site.

Does this mean the user will get refund if they do not like the work? Or only when the work is suspended will they get refund? Or no refund at all?

I honestly think that quality will increase in this environment because each sale will be a concrete signal that users are supporting their work. If I was a scangroup's member, this will motivate me to improve myself even more, is always good to see your work appreciated and your passion shared ^^

This thought of yours has holes in it, like I told you, most readers don't care about quality, but only a few do, and from business point of view: "why bother with quality when quantity gives you more money?" People won't complain as long as it's not shit quality, like very LQ, then why would a group focusing on HQ when MQ/LQ+ brings in more money? It doens't signal them to improve their work, but it signal them to release faster for more $$.

Also this will push small HQ group that care bout the manga and the authour off because they don't have enough resources to keep up with speed scans, and as long as the speed scans keeps the work in LQ+ or MQ, there's no need for them to actually do it in HQ. The point is, when money is involved in scanlation, things will become complicated, and the quality of the work will decrease, unless, it's a big group that can keep up with the competition. But even big and well known group also **** up when there's competition, as I have seen already.

Edited by Mrvirus, 24 May 2016 - 02:24 AM.

Posted Image

iazeru

iazeru

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 23 posts

What do you mean by this? Like hiring professional to check on the work? Or having a group that you trust checking the work? Then again, how do you know that that group is doing HQ quality?

First thing: thank you, this is the kind of answers I hope for! :)
Regarding the team, I'm planning of hiring professionals translators for QA only and maybe as security net in case all the scangroup who translate a big hit just go away at the same time. So, the internal team will try to keep up until someone else doesn't come in.

Does this mean the user will get refund if they do not like the work? Or only when the work is suspended will they get refund? Or no refund at all?

This is a good point that I haven't though about. I suppose all the users who downvoted their works can get a refund or maybe a discount on the next buy if the scangroup is actually suspended.

I'll think more on this, because I don't want user who just downvote everything hoping in a refund °_° But I think is possible installing an algorithm that signal this kind of behaviors

This thought of yours has holes in it, like I told you, most readers don't care about quality, but only a few do, and from business point of view: "why bother with quality when quantity gives you more money?" People won't complain as long as it's not shit quality, like very LQ, then why would a group focusing on HQ when MQ/LQ+ brings in more money? It doens't signal them to improve their work, but it signal them to release faster for more $$.

Also this will push small HQ group that care bout the manga and the authour off because they don't have enough resources to keep up with speed scans, and as long as the speed scans keeps the work in LQ+ or MQ, there's no need for them to actually do it in HQ. The point is, when money is involved in scanlation, things will become complicated, and the quality of the work will decrease, unless, it's a big group that can keep up with the competition. But even big and well known group also **** up when there's competition, as I have seen already.

This is a good point too, but I hope the internal QA will be enough to prevent the shitty releases. I also though that when there's more than one group translating a manga, to delay the first release until all groups have finished or up to 24h. This should discourage a speed LQ release, but can create a mess and I don't really think I'll implement this, but what do you think about?

Do you have any suggestions on how preventing shitty releases? I'm a perfectionist and prefer quality over quantity/speed, so this is a really important point for me.

Mrvirus

Mrvirus

Potato

• Donator
  • 142 posts

This is a good point that I haven't though about. I suppose all the users who downvoted their works can get a refund or maybe a discount on the next buy if the scangroup is actually suspended.

I'll think more on this, because I don't want user who just downvote everything hoping in a refund °_° But I think is possible installing an algorithm that signal this kind of behaviors

Instead of having an upvote and downvote where it's easily mistaken as "good chapter/bad chapter" have a "Report for LQ work" and let's say if a certain amount of percentace of readers report this work, then let the internal team check the work, if it's indeed of LQ then provide a refund, and suspend/warn the group, but then again, this can be abuse. 

This is a good point too, but I hope the internal QA will be enough to prevent the shitty releases. I also though that when there's more than one group translating a manga, to delay the first release until all groups have finished or up to 24h. This should discourage a speed LQ release, but can create a mess and I don't really think I'll implement this, but what do you think about?

Do you have any suggestions on how preventing shitty releases? I'm a perfectionist and prefer quality over quantity/speed, so this is a really important point for me.

Like you said, an upfront check, then at interval, choose a few chapters and have it checked: I.E once a month, select 3 chapters out of 10 chapters the group do and let the internal team check for quality. Not the best method but can prevent shitty release to a certain degree and should reduce the cost, given every time the internal team check means you have to pay them, also you will rely on the good will of the readers to report LQ work. 

And good luck with your project. It's a nice idea, but as Scanlation right now, it's might prove difficult to make it happen.

Edited by Mrvirus, 24 May 2016 - 05:04 PM.

Posted Image

iazeru

iazeru

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 23 posts

Instead of having an upvote and downvote where it's easily mistaken as "good chapter/bad chapter" have a "Report for LQ work" and let's say if a certain amount of percentace of readers report this work, then let the internal team check the work, if it's indeed of LQ then provide a refund, and suspend/warn the group, but then again, this can be abuse.

I totally like this! I suppose having a "like" for the chapter will be good too, but clearly separating the function for reporting bad quality is better than just a downvote!

Like you said, an upfront check, then at interval, choose a few chapters and have it checked: I.E once a month, select 3 chapters out of 10 chapters the group do and let the internal team check for quality. Not the best method but can prevent shitty release to a certain degree and should reduce the cost, given every time the internal team check means you have to pay them, also you will rely on the good will of the readers to report LQ work.

To be honest, I though of checking the scans only for an X amount of times (let's say the first 3 releases if they are all good) and have faith in the group after that, but I think a periodic check will be nice to have when we'll have enough resources ^^

And good luck with your project. It's a nice idea, but as Scanlation right now, it's might prove difficult to make it happen.

Thank you, but why do you think Scanlation isn't prepared for this kind of project yet?

Edited by iazeru, 24 May 2016 - 10:47 PM.

Mrvirus

Mrvirus

Potato

• Donator
  • 142 posts

Thank you, but why do you think Scanlation isn't prepared for this kind of project yet?

Scanlations is no longer "do out of passion/care about the authour" this might still be true for some group/small ones, but as of now it's a business. Big and well known group can support themselves, why would they share the "cake" with other when they can get the whole "cake" for themselves and get away with it?

There's also the free for all rules, but I'm sure you will figure something out :P

GL anyway

Edited by Mrvirus, 26 May 2016 - 04:51 AM.

Posted Image

iazeru

iazeru

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 23 posts

Considering all the scangroups I've talked to, the problem is always they don't want to get money for their hobby xD I don't know, maybe I've just been lucky and found only the right scangroups lol

Regarding the "whole cake", that's not really a problem, it's the same as when you do an IPO and the like: you actually lose a big share of your company revenues, but you can invest more, become bigger and in the hand you make a lot more money than before. Collaborative efforts always repay :) There's also the legal perspective to think about.

So, I think anyone, despite why they are in the scanlation world, can benefit from this project, it's carefully though to be a win-win solution for everyone ^^

Saiko Scans

Saiko Scans

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 23 posts
  • LocationInternet

The whole idea is really good, but nothing new I believe. I do remember MangaReborn doing something similar. The thing is, that we scanlators don't do this so we can make money from it. We do it, because we like it. I'll list some reasons why I scanlate Manga :

1.) Translate manga, so that it can reach many people. People often don't read manga, because they don't know the language. Hence, we remove that barrier.
2.) Giving back to community.
3.) When I see "Dropped Manga Series", it hurts me a lot, because it hurts when you can't read the story ahead because you don't understand the language.
4.) To learn and grasp more experience and knowledge in PhotoShop.
5.) To kill some time.
6.) To get e-penis, lel.

These are just some reasons why I scanlate. It's a hobby and I'd like to keep it that way.

Publishers and Scanlators getting together? erm NOPE, can't see that happening anytime soon.

If scanlation groups do join this "business plan" of yours, that means, they'll be doing a job, which obviously requires dedication to it and deadlines and what not. It's not rare to see that groups drop the projects all the time due to basic reasons like "no translator", "some important person lost the interest in series" etc. etc. If you get paid, you just can't drop the series mid way and you'd have to be consistent.

Even if you have the community on your side, I hardly believe that the publishers will accept this. Why? Legal reasons, duh!

So, the best would be, instead of asking the community first, talk to some publishers first and get their opinion and views on the matter. When you have something to surely back you up, then look for Scanlation groups that'll be interested.

Everyone above this post have already made valid points, and most of us (if not all) share the same POV more or less.

Then there's problem like Quality assurance. let's say I paid to read a chapter and the group did an awful job. The cleaning isn't good, grammatical errors, typo, etc. etc. I'd really hate to pay up and get "crap". Plus, if you say that, you will keep "QC" to check each and every chapter, how many people can you pay up for QC? 'cause there isn't just 1 release to check. Depending upon the group count, the series counts can be high or low. If it's low, that ain't a problem.

Plus, pay per chapter? that is going to be costly for people who read a lot of manga... 20 - 30 manga at the same time. Do you have any plan for that?

Edited by Saiko Scans, 26 May 2016 - 01:26 PM.

iazeru

iazeru

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 23 posts

The whole idea is really good, but nothing new I believe. I do remember MangaReborn doing something similar.

Yep, I know, I've already talked about it in the first post and also said why this project is different.

The thing is, that we scanlators don't do this so we can make money from it. We do it, because we like it. I'll list some reasons why I scanlate Manga :

1.) Translate manga, so that it can reach many people. People often don't read manga, because they don't know the language. Hence, we remove that barrier.
2.) Giving back to community.
3.) When I see "Dropped Manga Series", it hurts me a lot, because it hurts when you can't read the story ahead because you don't understand the language.
4.) To learn and grasp more experience and knowledge in PhotoShop.
5.) To kill some time.
6.) To get e-penis, lel.

These are just some reasons why I scanlate. It's a hobby and I'd like to keep it that way.

That's exactly why I'm totally grateful to you, guys! xD Because I don't know Japanese (yet), your passion and generosity is truly important for me.

If scanlation groups do join this "business plan" of yours, that means, they'll be doing a job, which obviously requires dedication to it and deadlines and what not. It's not rare to see that groups drop the projects all the time due to basic reasons like "no translator", "some important person lost the interest in series" etc. etc. If you get paid, you just can't drop the series mid way and you'd have to be consistent.

Nope. I though I've talked about this enough, but here again, I perfectly know scangroups do this as an hobby and there's lots of reason because a scanlator have to backoff. I also know that if a fundamental person lose his interest, not one but many groups could just die. I know that because I'm studying and this convince me even more that total freedom is the first requisite to make this happen and to be sustainable. This can seems contradictory, but trust me, history tell us it's not.

Please note that you will be paid for what you have done and not for something you will have to do! You get paid when an user buy a chap you already published. You will not sign any contract that force you to translate this or that manga.

You will translate what you want and as much as you want, just like you already do; the only difference will be the limited catalog, but I'll work hard to let you access as much manga as possible!

That's why who want to let this be a simple hobby, can totally do that :)

Even if you have the community on your side, I hardly believe that the publishers will accept this. Why? Legal reasons, duh!

So, the best would be, instead of asking the community first, talk to some publishers first and get their opinion and views on the matter. When you have something to surely back you up, then look for Scanlation groups that'll be interested.

Everyone above this post have already made valid points, and most of us (if not all) share the same POV more or less.

Then there's problem like Quality assurance. let's say I paid to read a chapter and the group did an awful job. The cleaning isn't good, grammatical errors, typo, etc. etc. I'd really hate to pay up and get "crap". Plus, if you say that, you will keep "QC" to check each and every chapter, how many people can you pay up for QC? 'cause there isn't just 1 release to check. Depending upon the group count, the series counts can be high or low. If it's low, that ain't a problem.

Plus, pay per chapter? that is going to be costly for people who read a lot of manga... 20 - 30 manga at the same time. Do you have any plan for that?

I think the legal reason would be exactly why publishers will listen to us. They know that scanlation is a big thing and, even if for some point of view it help the manga culture to spread, it still cause a significant damage to the industry.

However, as MangaHelper demonstrated, they aren't willing to directly cooperate with "pirates". That's why my clean records will come in hand and why I can be the bridge that unite the two facets of the same medal.

That's said, I can't really go to the publishers without your support, sadly I'm not a VIP or anything like that, hence I need you to be credible and tell them this is something concrete if they want to. Please note that in the last year Japan is a lot more interested in the international market for manga, that's why I think this is the right moment to strike!

If you really like the idea as you said, please give me a chance! ^^

Edited by iazeru, 26 May 2016 - 01:58 PM.