Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

[RP] Edge of Destiny

In-character fantasy FATE system Noob-GM

• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

Unbelievably Majestic

Unbelievably Majestic

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • LocationRiding the back of the Great A'tuin.

Arenthiel To'rah

"Sure thing cutie." Arenthiel said with an easy smile. And then he was off. He quickly made his way up to the top of the watchtower and laid claim of it's vantage. He took a helm from on of the fallen bandits and jammed it over his face, then receded into the shadows a bit. From a distance he should just look like one of their own to the bandits. But he was watching like a hungry hawk, ready to kill at any moment. The second the bandits spotted any of his team, or his team moved to engage, he would begin shooting off arrows with intent to kill.

It seemed, as he looked out on the camp, that almost all of the bandits were inside a cave. That could prove useful. If they could manage to take out the few bandits on guard up here without causing a disturbance they could probably set up some sort of trap, or at least lure the bandits unsuspectingly into the open before filling them with arrows. Then maybe they'd send a couple more guys up to see what was taking so long. And so it would continue... If this went according to plan Arenthiel might well be able to get everybody to turn this bandit-camp-raiding into an efficient slaughter. He stifled a mild shudder, feeling it tingle up his spine. He'd much prefer some element of a fair fight. But then, they were going to kill these guys anyway. As far as Arenthiel was concerned, once you'd decided to kill someone the method didn't really matter overmuch. He'd have to bring up his ideas if this next part of the attack went smoothly enough that they had some quiet time. Though with all these humans stomping around in heavy metal armour and such it was a wonder the hadn't alerted the entire camp already. He smiled to himself and set his eyes on the three patrolling bandits. He was ready.

Faye

Faye

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • Location黄金の郷

\\ Faye Aurelius Lightfel

\\ Bandit Bashing

As much as I do not want to admit it, that knife-ears is indeed a good shot. Not only did he manage to incapacitate the two bandits, he also managed to do so unnoticed. Well, anyway, now that he's done what he set out to do, it is my turn to fulfill my role. Quickly climbing the ladder after Ziku, I realized that one of the bandits is still alive. Without proper treatment, however, he would not stay that way for long. Ziku, and myself initially, hesitated to kill him. After a brief pondering, however, I decided that mercy killing would be best for both the dying bandit and my team, and thus, I raised my blade and dealt the final blow.

And I will tell you, it was not pretty. The guilt of killing a human, no matter how rotten, is completely different from killing a beast. He was choking, writhing and whimpering for a few seconds before he finally cease to move. And even then, his body still convulses every now and then. If I were not to convince myself that what I did was for the greater good, I don't think I could handle any more taking of life. It was that bad.

Having said my prayer for the fallen, I try my best to stay low while Ziku observes the encampment before us. It's not that I have inferior eyes, mind you! It's simply because neither of the fallen bandits were female, and their garments are not exactly the most.. obscuring. Or whatever word you use for it. I don't know. Ergo, I would be found out immediately if I were to masquerade as the sentry. Anyway! Long story short, I relay the intel Ziku managed to gather to the rest of the group, and return to the post as soon as I can, only to find the ever courageous Ziku gone.

"Man.. There's a limit to playing cool, y'know.." I thought to myself.

Having heard my Honorable Sister's briefing, I readied my sword and slowly move in position. Once the knife-ears - Arienthel, was it? - fire his shot, I would be ready to move in and use the ensuing chaos to pluck out the bandit scouts as the main group, led by Honorable Sister herself, charges towards their main force.

My biggest distraught to this whole ordeal? I would personally say the guilt of having to kill even more human beings. I just hope that the mental block would not negatively affect my actions from here onward...

OOC Info:

Spoiler

Edited by Faye, 09 May 2016 - 08:32 AM.

Muninn

Muninn

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts

Geraint 

Red Team

Geraint stood there idly, overwhelmed by the task at hand. He had never thought of killing people before. Rodents were easy, simple. They were always pests in his eyes and those of others. He never really felt like he was taking a life then. More like indulging in a thrill. But now, he had to kill people. People. Like the ones who served him bar back at the village. Like the Chief, the inn keepers, even the cheap blacksmith counted as people. Somehow, the thought of killing people never occurred to him when he chose to become a mercenary. It went without saying, Geraint knew that, but that was probably the issue. No one ever said it, so he never thought it! Trudging on behind the group, mimicking their movements and positions without taking part in the strategizing or even paying attention, Geraint rubbed his temples fiercely. What was he to do. He rationalized that if a man meant to harm him that Geraint could probably cut him down in the heat of moment, that was okay. It would be self defense. Yet, even if the bandits are those kind of people, Geraint was going out to meet them in combat, not that they knew. Geraint was, technically, the assailant in this scenario. But what about the others, he thought. They seemed cool with it. Even the village chief and the villagers were okay with it. They even wanted it done....

Finally noticing a change of atmosphere, Geraint perked up from his moral quandary at Dierdre looking towards him and listened to Dierdre's plan. "Ah, well, okay!" Geraint said in hushed enthusiasm. Geraint didn't get why they just didn't all pounce on them and pound them into the dirt, but felt that Dierdre was better at this than his. Reaching right hand back over his shoulder he grasped his sword incase it needed to be drawn quickly and followed Dierdre, hoping that he would be able to cut down the bandits like he did the rats. Was that okay, comparing them to rats?

Geraint
Spoiler

ezgif.com-resize_zpsxceqaae1.gif

Crimson Century: Bratumił

Edge of Destiny: Geraint

Diabolical Rhapsody

Diabolical Rhapsody

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 642 posts
  • Locationin Oblivion, checking out the tapestry.

Bandit Bashing

Arenthiel slowly climbed his way to the top of the outpost, his vantage point affording him a clear view and great angle on the gossiping bandits, who were strangely unaware towards the situation they were in. As Ziku shuffled behind the tents inching ever so close towards the group he could overhear some of the chatter.

"The past few days have been rather rough, I don't think I can take this any longer." sighed one of the bandits, a short slim man who had a short sword on his person.

Just the sort of gangly misfit that you'd usually see in the villages. He had a kind of face that was easy to be lost in the crowd, a typically unimpressive face but there was an expression that hinted that he was never up to any good. He seemed like a guy who was only into this business because the money was good and the job dishonest. He didn't have the presence or charisma of being a leader, a perpetual underling. One who would run at the first sign of trouble.

He was flanked by two stockier lads, almost the same age as him, perhaps older. Observing the from this close, Ziku ascertained that these guys were too young to be proper bandits. They were like newbies, who were often on watch duty guarding the hideout and assigned oddjobs for the bigger, badder men that held sway over them. The boys nodded at the words of the lanky one as pity mired Ziku's face. That he was about to kill boys no older than him and that the world was so cruel almost made him puke.

He had not seen the faces of the ones shot by the Elf a while back or perhaps he couldn't stomach to see them. While Faye had been uncharacteristically cold in dispatching them, Ziku had wavered. He had thought that he could will himself to do the right thing but he felt a ting of uneasiness.

Meanwhile, Arenthiel was taking his time picking the arrow, now that he observed carefully, each arrowhead was a bit different. The crudeness of the craftsmanship wasn't missed. In his time in his homelands, he had seen some really talented bowyers and thus he was unaware that a lot of the other species didn't have access to the skilled craftsmanship that the Umbrons had at their command.

A slow whistle escaped his mouth as he picked the one that he felt the best in his hand and idly mounted it on his bow. 'Vixen's Touch', it was a bow that even an Umbron would be proud of. Taking his aim, he drew the string to his ear. Took a breath to stabilize himself and let loose the notched arrow.

Dierdre had a good command of the situation, she had positioned Fay so as to use her speed to back up Ziku if the need arose as her own hand tightened on the sword. She was guided by duty and was faring better than Geraint, who looked a bit lost in thought from the proposition of having to kill people. Her reassuring but firm grasp on his shoulder caused him to shiver a bit before he straightened himself. Now was not the time to go back on his decision. Whatever they were doing, it was for the greater good. Thieves and bandits didn't deserve any of their mercy.

A shriek from their prey alerted the pack, Arenthiel had given them the initiative. All that was let now was to grab it.

Jayden fell like a sack of potatoes, dead from a arrow straight through his eye socket. Arenthiel hadn't aimed for the one on the farthest right but the wind played its part in aiding him for a killshot. The survivors immediately drew their swords and rushed for their assailants. That arrow came from the tower and suddenly thy spotted a shadow perched on its roof. They shouted as they advanced but it seemed that he was not alone as two more came out of the post. What happened to Dons and Dekker. No one would be foolish enough to attack the Grey Tooth bandits in their own den. Like hungry wolves they charged towards the assailants.

Dave ran a step behind Muskin, his gangly built was more suited to flailing than close combat but despite his looks he was no pushover as he charged with his weapons ready he was intercepted by a sneaking Ziku, perhaps the resolve was still lacking but Ziku's strike wasn't as impressive as it should have been. In his hurry to intervene, he had not cared for his strides and rushed in too close for a decent strike, almost banging into the lanky swordsman who parried his attack with minimum fuss. Even Faye's sneak attack was easily seen through and Dave didn't bat even an eyelid as the young maiden's attack was read and he just sidestepped to allow her to crash into her companion but before he could draw his sword to lash at the assailants he felt his will to fight drain completely.

While Muskin had charged bravely into an adverse situation, he had severely underestimated his opposition. Dierdre's movements were precise and waited unlike her sister and her sword hand moved with the intent to relieve the bandit of his mortal coil. She brought down the sword on his head with all her righteous fury as Geraint was a few steps behind waiting for his resolve to solidify. Once he saw the woman's attack miss the vital spot and the bandit ready to bring punishment on her, his sword hand moved like lightening severing his head and right shoulder from the torso as his blade completed a full arc. If Dierdre was in doubt about the intent that the rough looking Arturian carried, his strike had affirmed her trust in his resolve. She didnt fail to acknowledge that the additions to her team were rather an impressive bunch.

The pair advanced towards the lone Bandit as Arenthiel held his form in his cross-hairs, they had an overwhelming advantage. The lanky bandit dropped his sword and knelt before Dierdre as she walked up to him. 

"Please spare me, Knight. I was looking for an opportunity to leave this filthy business. I promise to live a decent life if you all can spare me a second chance." he pleaded with tears in his big brown eyes, cutting a really sorry figure for a famous bandit group.

Dierdre's grip didn't loosen on her sword though, she had a choice to make. When they were dispatched, they were assigned to destroy the operations of the bandits in the area, it can be made to mean only the activities or everything involved. She could very well spare the man, who was ready to change his ways and become civilized. After all, it was all her Order was about. Skadi was as benevolent as she was forgiving, everyone could find warmth in her embrace but it may or may not align to her personal beliefs for starters, she had not been baptized yet and secondly she didn't usually find herself in situations that tested morality.

Whatever may her decision maybe, a new path will open for her either way.

Everyone looked at her to make a call, after all she had distinguished herself as the de facto leader of this ragtag group of young adventurers.

Spoiler

Edited by Diabolical Rhapsody, 23 May 2016 - 02:09 PM.

giphy.gif

If you have the time: 

Spoiler

Unbelievably Majestic

Unbelievably Majestic

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 232 posts

Arenthiel To'Rah

The group was gathered around an injured bandit now. He was surrendering. The one who, by Arenthiel's reckoning, had been the lowliest of them all was surrendering. He couldn't actually hear the man but he knew the words, he'd heard them before. He came down from the tower. Getting closer to the group. He could hear the man now, he was begging. Promising to give up his ways. To go straight and become an honest citizen. Yeah, he'd heard those words before. Someone who just wants a second chance at life. A do-over. One more chance to do it again. To do it right this time. Just one more chance. Just one. Arenthiel had believed those words before, he wouldn't again. He drew near to the group and shot the man in his eye as he walked past. "People don't change." He said to the others in a hollow voice. He walked on and began looking around the mouth of the cave. Looking for somewhere to perch and rain death upon people exiting the cave. Or perhaps some way to cave the place in.

OOC:

Spoiler

I-Am-X

I-Am-X

Mashed Potato

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  • LocationThe Capital

Deirdre Domhnall - Team Red

With Deirdre and Geraint acting as bait, the mission went off without a hitch. There was some initial doubt on Deirdre's part on whether Geraint was truly up to the task before the mission, understanding what he may be going through, but the way he followed up her attack affirmed her trust in giving him this role. He had the skill but needed to find his resolve, after all, 'Justice' wasn't always in black and white. There were times where one may have to make a difficult decision in doing what they believe was 'right'. This situation was exactly one of them, one where one must be prepared to take a human life if need be.

Closing her eyes with a smile on her face, she nodded to Geraint and lead him over to where the last bandit remained. Dropping his sword, he knelt before her and begged for forgiveness with tear in his eyes. Her smile now gone, she looked at him with a stern gaze as she kept a strong grip on her sword, despite the fact that they clearly won. Before she spoke a word, Arenthiel drew near, having left the tower, and shot the man in the eye before parting parting them with some choice words. Glancing at the elf for a moment before looking back at the bandit. What he said wasn't right....but it wasn't wrong either.

Bringing her sword closer to the bandit, with its blade pressed against his neck, drawing blood, she spoke up. "What about all the people that begged to you in a similar manner? The people, whom had no means of defending themselves, you stole from and killed without a care in the world? Do you honestly believe that getting on your knees, begging and 'promising to lead a decent life' will let you atone for all the horrible things you've done?!" Deirdre raised her voice as she looked into his eyes with a frightening expression, as various images flashed in her mind. It was then a past expression of Faye's surfaced in her mind and she stopped, making sure not to let Faye see her expression.

Closing her eyes, she took a deep breathe and calmed down before looking back at the bandit. While easing the blade off his neck, she kept it within cutting distance. "Don't misunderstand," she began as she took note of his surprise. "You'll never be able to atone for all that you've done. You're a coward and what you've done is unforgivable. However, that doesn't mean you don't even try to atone for your crimes. A quick death will negate that attempt. Despite my personal beliefs, my god is benevolent and believes in 2nd chances. I shall believe in my god and give you a second chance. However,"

She pauses before continuing, "It's not just up to me. Whether you get this chance or not rests upon the ones you've wronged. You'll be brought back to village where they'll decide your fate. Should they allow you to live, and you truly wish for a 2nd chance, do as they say, you have no right to refuse. Spend the rest of your miserable life helping others in need. 'That' will be your atonement. Should you stray, you shall meet the other side of my blade. Is that clear?" She glares at him, not really giving him a choice. Without warning, she delivers a solid blow to the back of his neck with her sheath before turning to another group. "Tie him up and make sure he doesn't do anything stupid." She ordered.

Turning towards the others, she motioned towards the cave. "Let's go and wrap things up, it's not over just yet. Arenthiel, watch the cave and surrounding area, make sure that no bandit that crosses your eyes escapes." Though, it didn't really need to be said. She figured it would be best for the elf to remain outside, given his vision and skill with the bow, his talents would be best used in an open area where he has the advantage as opposed to a crowded enclosed location like a cave. "I'll need some to remain out here and help Arenthiel in searching for any remaining bandits." she finished, giving them the choice to either go in the caves with her or check the surrounding area with Arenthiel.

Making her way towards the cave as the rest of the team made their choice, she looks at her hands. Despite what she said...despite the fact she spared the man...If it wasn't for....she'd definitely would've killed that man. Something deep inside her demanded it. With a deep breathe, she moved forward, keeping those feelings to herself.

OOC:

Spoiler

Edited by I-Am-X, 18 June 2016 - 03:31 AM.

tumblr_njivsvv03O1s9nzk7o3_500.gif

The Epic Of X:

Spoiler

Orcraniil

Orcraniil

Russet Potato

• Donator
  • 368 posts
Ziku Kalil -- Team Red

My plan to gather information was foiled a bit short before I could gather any actual information, but not by the bandits. The most he heard out of the bandits was some generic complaints, the kind you made idly and didn't expect a response. These bandits hardly fit the image I would associate with the word. They weren't grizzled, they didn't even look particularly rough if you looked past the equipment. They certainly aren't much younger or older than I am. I felt the thought of killing those around my age roll around in my stomach. Gritting my teeth I fought back the encroaching bile and took slow but deep breath, inhaling and then exhaling until I had calmed down. 

Second thoughts on my plan to eavesdrop began crawling into my mind like a foul miasma. These "bandits" were too young and obviously low in the hierarchy. They wouldn't conveniently talk about some vital information as if this were some kind of novel and it was overly optimistic (and more than a little arrogant) to presume otherwise and think that I could easily listen in and then escape. I glanced towards the guard tower looking for an opening to fall back to. I was greeted by the sight of Fay moving low to the ground but with her blade drawn. They're planning something! I gripped Broken Fang and prepared for a fight. Despite how ready I thought I was, seeing one of the guards crumple so unnaturally and suddenly still caused me to hesitate for a second. I shook my head and made my move towards the lanky bandit. The sword-wielding bandit parried my attack as though it were nothing. Still off balance from the parried strike and more than a little bit mentally shaken, a sudden weight slammed into my side and knocked me flat on my back. I caught a glimpse of brown hair that could've only been Faye's. So that's what happened. I scrambled to retrieve my spear and regain my bearings before both Faye and I get executed. By the time I pulled myself up from the sorry state I was left in after falling the fight was over. Deirdre and the other Arturian had dealt with the other stocky guard, and now the lanky bandit was curled up in a ball and pleading for his life to Deirdre.

It was her decision to make, really. While she thought through her decision I withdrew into my mind and silently berated myself. I had put everyone else at risk because of my arrogance. I had underestimated the bandits, sure, but more so than that I had completely overestimated my resolve. My thoughts were interrupted by the same sound I heard that signalled the start of the earlier battle. A quiet whoosh and resulting thunk as the Elf executed the prisoner without so much as a word to the group. He turned to the rest of us and simply said "People don't change." Well, so much for having to deal with a prisoner I guess. I can see where he was coming from I certainly didn't like the way he undermined Deirdre's authority like that. It would seem we've picked up quite an interesting party member. Despite this, the lanky bandit still lived. He had some tenacity, I'll give him that. Deirdre proceeded to let the bandit know that he didn't deserve mercy after the heinous crimes he'd unleashed on people. I thought a dark expression passed over Deirdre's face, but I didn't really give it a second thought. She was surely thinking about the day the three of them had met. Deirdre passed her judgement on the lad, but it wasn't a damning one. Sure, he'd either hang in the village or serve the rest of his life labouring for the benefit of those he had harmed in the past. He didn't deserve a life that good, but he could maybe earn a little bit of his humanity back. With a solid blow she knocked the kid unconscious and transferred watch over him to a separate group. 

Deirdre left it up to the group (with the exception of Arenthiel, for the obvious reason that a bow might not be so great in a cave) to decide whether they'd enter the cave with her or stay outside with Arenthiel. As much as I wanted to go into the cave and check things out with Deirdre, I decided that either at least Faye or I should stay on the outside. Something about the thought of breaking ranks with the two I'd sworn to stick with prickled my chest, no matter how temporary but I'd made my decision. If we were to split the group up with 2 outside the cave and a group of 3 going inside, it just made more sense that either Faye or I be the one to stay outside the cave. Geraint didn't seem the speedy type, and while I couldn't outrun Faye, I could certainly run down some bandits.

"Hey, I'll stay out here with our new friend Arenthiel. If you run into trouble and can't break off, let loose a shout and we'll come running," I shot Deirdre and Faye a smile "Stay safe."

Spoiler

Edited by Orcraniil, 22 July 2016 - 02:04 AM.

tumblr_n8afhdCGiX1sg8zvco1_500.gif

Spoiler

Muninn

Muninn

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts

Geraint 

Red Team

Geraint rubbed the back of his head, his eyesight being intentionally just off of the situation. The Elf had just murdered on prisoner in cold blood, while Deirdre took one prisoner. Geraint maintained an indifferent expression on his face to mask the turmoil within. He found it easy enough to cut down two attacking men, it was almost entirely reflex and thought nothing of it. Instead, he felt excited in that moment past. Much like before. But the sudden execution of a surrendering man disinterested him entirely. Geraint felt little in the way of sadness or excitement, just disappointment really. Geraint guessed that he didn't care much for executing prisoners on the spot, but at the same time mercy was a luxury. Crossing his arms he stepped forward, "I'll head in with everyone else. No point in staying out here -my sword would only grow dull on prisoners." He said, looking to Arenthiel. Geraint rolled his right shoulder several times before drawing his blade and stepping into the cave with the others, now a little more confident that he could do this.

Geraint
Spoiler

Edited by Muninn, 26 June 2016 - 05:31 PM.

Diabolical Rhapsody

Diabolical Rhapsody

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 642 posts

Bandit Bashing

With the teams split up, Dierdre decided to lead her bunch inside as Arenthiel would keep a lookout. Their roles were reversed with the men they had just killed. It was now imperative for the duo that waited outside to make sure that accidental reinforcements don't arrive and for the cave crawlers to make sure that they clean up good.

As the trio went inside, they came upon a large open space. Burly grown up men guarded the entrance as two more sat by the fire grilling some meat over the fire. The group of five looked like veterans of the trade. The lowest of the low, armed with variety of weapons they crawled about enjoying themselves.

"Do you think that Gaston has finally lost it?" one bandit asked another as the trio kept to the shadows.

"Yeah! I'd say so. Going as far as to drain that weak looking elf and then prattling about the power of the elf flesh, I think Gaston has gone mad." the other said with a laugh.

"But the guy is built like an ox, there is nothing we can do to drill some sense in him and it was that guy's fault. Roaming all alone in these parts." a third chimed in.

The party was surprised about the content of the interaction. It was a good that Arenthiel had volunteered to keep watch outside. He probably won't have liked this at all. Anger surged in Dierdre's vein as her hand tightened on the hilt. She felt like she had heard enough of this conversation and the faster they can get to this Gaston, the faster she can stop this filthy business. Geraint sensed her companions distress. Any issues that he had had earlier regarding his will to dispatch these abominations were wiped clear of his conscious now but he was still vigilant. The group were at a disadvantage, if they engage them here there was a chance that they'd fail in their objective.

Meanwhile, Arenthiel had found a good perch that afforded a good view of the camp. Ziku had seen the elf take point and had decided to hide himself in the nearby foliage so as to leap to his aide should the need arise. Just about the time they had settled, they saw a party of five come back to the settlement with what looked like a humanoid hung on one bandit's shoulder. Perhaps a kidnapping or whatever desire that these scum had. 

A decision lay in front of the duo, should they choose to engage or wait for the group to make their move. For if the group ended up going inside, Dierdre's party would be at a fatal risk. But with just the two of them, it was literally baiting death should they be found out early.

Spoiler

giphy.gif

If you have the time: 

Spoiler

Unbelievably Majestic

Unbelievably Majestic

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 232 posts

Arenthiel To'Rah

The group of bandits brought with them not only a captive. But a question. What will you do now? The answer was simple to Arenthiel's mind. He would kill them all. If he let them in the cave the rest of the squad would be sandwiched between however many bandits were in there, and these five. He didn't love his odds, but he'd have to make do. And with the human down there to distract the bunch, assuming he didn't simply remain in the bush, he might have a good shot at picking them off one by one.

Arenthiel drew and notched an arrow as he waited for the group to wander unknowingly into his ideal range. He pulled back the bowstring, feeling the tension of it mimic the tension of the hunt. Being the one in control. Knowing that a life and death encounter is about to happen, and you are about to start it. And you are damn well going to win it too.

The bandits drew closer.

None of them seemed to be particularly in charge of the others. He could only assume their boss had sent them out on a little job. Probably capturing whomever that was over the one bandit's shoulder, or maybe that was just a spot of good luck, a prize for a job well done. You never knew with scum like this. Still, with no leader to pick off first, the question became; who would make the most chaos? There was an easy answer. The one holding their prize catch. They would, at the very least, stumble after getting hit. Possibly into the others. Maybe they would drop the person they held too, onto someone else if he was very lucky. And if he was even luckier the other bandits might just think their man had stumbled for a short while, perhaps they'll stand around laughing at him for a second and he could get another shot in... Yes. That man was his target. "Let's get this party started." He muttered to himself, soft and low. He fixed his aim and let loose an arrow at the man holding the captive.

OOC:

Spoiler

I-Am-X

I-Am-X

Mashed Potato

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  • LocationThe Capital

As everyone finished making their decision, they made their way towards the cave. With Deirdre was the Swordsman Geraint and, as usual, her sister, Faye. The only change to the team was that instead of Ziku, it was Geraint with them. It was a strange feeling, being separated.... ever since that day happened, they've always been together, especially during missions and they were working with others. Of course there was always exceptions, like during down time, but for the most part, the three of them would always be found in each others company, whether or not they'd admit it or not. However, this time Ziku insisted upon staying outside with elf and search for the remaining bandits.

While different and sudden, Deirdre agreed with the decision and left it to him. She was actually thankful for his decision because, while ideal that the three of them remain as a team, even if the absence was only temporary, due to familiarity, she was actually going to suggest that one of stayed behind, even if he didn't say anything. The reason being, Arenthiel. Despite him being clearly skilled, she didn't trust him to be on his own, especially not after what just happened. Given his behavior, it wouldn't be a surprise if he would kill all of them, even if they surrendered and laid down their weapons.

She wanted someone she trusted to remain behind and keep a watch on him, make sure he doesn't go to far.  It would be one thing if it was in battle but not when the battle was over and they threw down their weapons. Despite what they done, at that point, it wasn't their call to make anymore. It was up to the proper authorities and their victims...the ones they've wronged. Besides.....it left a bad taste in her mouth killing someone that couldn't fight back, her pride wouldn't allow it. No matter how much she detested the being, no matter how much she wanted to do it, she still has her pride!

Regardless of whether or not Ziku shared her concerns or not, the look in her eyes when they parted, when Arenthiel wasn't looking, made her intent quite clear to Ziku. When they went inside, they came upon an open area where there was a group of bandits. There was a pair guarding the entrance while there were 2 more sitting by a fire grilling meat. Going by looks, she could tell that they were quite strong and experienced, definitely on a whole different level than the ones they dealt with outside.

The bandits, completely ignorant of their presence, continued to enjoy themselves while they hid in the shadows. Deciding that engaging them now would be foolish, Deirdre suggested they continue to wait and when there was an opening, split them up and take care of the first group before going after the other one. However, everything changed when the bandits conversation changed topic. While Deirdre and the others tuned out the bandits conversation as they waited, this was one they couldn't ignore.

The more they talked, the more anger welled up inside Deirdre. They were talking about draining and eating people......and they were laughing about?! The ones outside were one thing, being young and ignorant newcomers but the ones that stood before her were seasoned veterans, ones who knew full well of what they were doing and they were laughing about it like it was nothing!! She was livid, even more so then earlier. Reaching an uncontrollable level, Deirdre moved to confront them.

However, Just as she was about to, as if knowing what was going through Deirdre's head, Faye reached out her hand and stopped her, looking into her eyes as she shook her head. While she glared at Faye fiercely, causing her to flinch, Deirdre snapped out of it and calmed down. Planting her face in her hand, she apologized as she took a deep breathe and took a minute to think. Looking back at the bandits with a sharp gaze, her eyes went from the ones at the entrance to the ones near the fire before she finally noticed it. The ones by the fire were paying no attention to the ones at the entrance. This was it, this was their chance.

Turning towards the others, she picked up a few pebbles from the ground and nodded. They needed to take advantage of this and lure the ones by the entrance away from the others. There was no telling if it would work, but they had no other choice. Taking aim, she tossed a pebble in the general direction of the entrance guards and prepared another if they didn't take the bait.

OOC:

Spoiler

The Epic Of X:

Spoiler

Faye

Faye

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • Location黄金の郷

\\ Bandit Bashing

What would you feel when you failed your duty? Is it shame? Is it fear? Depression? For me, in this particular mission, I actually felt glad that I had failed. I was glad that my sword missed its mark, and the bandits' blood did not stain my hand any further. Weird, isn't it? I could justify my first murder as a mercy killing; a way to let the bandit pass on in a less grueling way. But this surprise attack? There is no justification to what I'm doing, other than I'm doing it for a vague concept of "greater good".

Perhaps, I am a failure as a soldier. A soldier is a tool of war; a necessary evil to keep the good safe, by bringing demise to the more evil ones. I took their role, and the mental burden that comes along with it, way too lightly. I thought I could steel my heart and carry out my duty properly, as long as my Honorable Sister is there with me, but I was wrong. Deep down, I do not want to kill another person. I do not wish to be in this battlefield much longer.

Yet we have a mission to accomplish.

As such, I sullenly followed my Honorable Sister inside the Bandit's Cave, with the hope of subduing the Bandit's Leader and end the fight with as little casualty as possible, be it from our side or theirs. As silently as we could, we sneaked into the cave, and was met with five individuals that we believed to be the veteran of the bandit troupe; two guarding the entrance, and three sitting by the fire, gossiping loudly as they roast some kind of mystery meat. After eavesdropping on the content of their idle chat for a while. for the first time during this entire mission, I could see that sometimes, killing might be necessary.

"What kind of life do they live to have a mind that twisted?" I asked to myself. "How.. How could they even talk about draining and eating somebody for strength? What's.. Just. What..?"

As I try to cope with the disturbing image and the shock in my head, from the corner of my eye, I could see my Honored Sister slowly reaching for her blade, her body leaning forward. Instinctively, I reached out for her hand. I know what she would have felt, and what she's planning to do; but this is not the proper situation to act on such impulses. Despite her vicious glare, I did not let go of her hand. I desperately clinged on it and shook my head, hoping that somehow it'd be enough to stop her from doing something rash.

Thankfully, Honorable Sister regained her cool not long after. Having assessed the situation more clearly, she decided that our next course of action is to split the bandits up. The plan was rudimentary at best, but it was really the only better option we could take at the moment. We would make a noise, subtle enough not to draw the attention of the ones by the fire, but not too subtle for the ones by the entrance to ignore.

Thus, the plan was set into motion. Honorable Sister would throw a pebble towards the guards' general direction, which would hopefully draw their attention. Once they do, Honorable Sister and the other dude, Geraint, would hide in the shadows while I creep around slowly while keeping my stare towards the general direction of the ones by the fire, acting as the second bait. If all goes well, the guards would think of me as a spy and seek to dispatch me while my attention was drawn to the fire team's discussion. Once they're close enough, Honorable Sister and Geraint would each dispatch of them before they could alert the other three by the fire.

A far-fetched plan, I know, but it was better than facing all five of them in an open combat.

Diabolical Rhapsody

Diabolical Rhapsody

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 642 posts

Bandit Bashing

Releasing his breath Arenthiel let loose another arrow, straight for his pre-determined target. The bandits meanwhile, had stumbled on the corpses of the sentries, perhaps it would have suited the little group of adventurers to disposes of their evidence of arrival first before delving deeper into the cave. Three of the bigger ones shouted and charged towards the cave, thinking they'd be able to sandwich the intruders responsible for this.

But, the last one of them was stopped cold when he saw his comrade with the hostage fall. An arrow struck into his rib cage, the head out from his back Gunnar fell from impact, releasing the boy he had on his shoulders.

This meant that their attackers were outside. Smith shouted to the ones that had charged inside, asking to smoke out the rats hiding in the foliage around. Decker and Dave had reached the entrance to the inner cave by now, joining the five inside as they heard Smith's call.

"Butch and Moss, leave the steak and help us. The sentries outside are dead, I think some mercenaries have finally headed Silkrin's call for help, we need to teach these guys the meaning of challenging the ---- Bandits.

The two near the fire quickly drew their broadswords and stood up. In the meantime, Smith and Samson looked around frantically as Arenthiel had another free shot to him. Looks like his hiding place hadn't been found out and Ziku's aide won't be necessary.

-

Though Dierdre's plan had failed and the way things were, it meant more trouble for their friends outside. It was still a good opportunity to engage the bandits left inside. If somehow they could sneak up on the one near the fire, they could quickly turn the fight in their favor. Geraint held his sword firmly, he knew that another fight was on the cards but this time he wasn't hunting boys. He was up against men, men who may have forsaken their humanity.

The plan as of now was in disarray. Faye would have to disable the man by the fire or they all have to regroup and start again.

Spoiler

giphy.gif

If you have the time: 

Spoiler

I-Am-X

I-Am-X

Mashed Potato

• Members
  • 5,473 posts
  • LocationThe Capital

Seeing her plan fail, she gritted her teeth and cursed under. Had she thought about things more clearly, she would have thought to hide the sentries bodies before engaging her plan. Though, it didn't turn out too bad. While it may cause a bit more trouble for her comrades outside, their chances of making it through this went up drastically. If they played their cards right, and dispatch the remaining ones in their area, they'll be able to catch the others from behind and take them by surprise. Besides, she had faith in the abilities of the ones outside, so all they got to do is hold them off long enough for them to take out the bandits.

Her last plan failed but that won't be enough to stop her from getting it right this time. Glancing at the remaining bandits, Deirdre figured they could take advantage of the commotion to sneak in close enough to get the drop on them. Relaying it through hand signals and gestures, to cut off as much sound as possible to avoid the chances getting clued in and ruining their chances, she had Geraint take the vanguard position with herself in the middle and Faye taking up the rear. Having Geraint up front and going first would make the most of his skills. Also, with his big frame and Heavy Blade, he would give them ample time to get in a critical hit.

By putting herself in the middle enables Deirdre to not only jump up front to assist Geraint if the situation calls for it but also protect them (and faye) in case they get attacked from the rear. Not only that, it allows her to be in a good enough position to cast her holy magic and have someone up front to give her the room and time to do just that. The key to this would be Faye in the rear. Out of all of them, Faye is clearly the fastest and quietest, meaning if she sees an opening, she can use Deirdre and Geraint as cover, sneak to the front and take them by surprise.

But the most important role she plays would be diversionary tactics, another thing she excels in. So with that being said, Deirdre put Faye in command in those matters with the other two following her lead. They can't mess this one up again, though, at least if they do, it'll be against 3 not 8. Before putting their plan into action, Deirdre closed her eyes and took the moment to pray briefly to Skadi. With that done, they begun their plan and snuck in closer.

OOC:

Spoiler

Edited by I-Am-X, 22 July 2016 - 10:13 AM.

The Epic Of X:

Spoiler

Unbelievably Majestic

Unbelievably Majestic

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 232 posts

Arenthiel To'rah

Well this was going... about as well as it could actually, considering those idiot humans forgot to hide the goddamn bodies. He'd at least took one of the bandits out of the fight, and he still hadn't been located. That was good. Two bandit's left to deal with and then he guessed he'd have to start luring out the ones from inside. Or, just go in and get them. Tight spaces made it harder for him to hide and keep some range, but it also made it harder for others to dodge his arrows. It wasn't his favorite terrain, but he was fairly confident he'd make it out okay if he had to go in.

But that was for later, time to focus on the now. The human was still hiding. Arenthiel couldn't blame him for that, he was still hiding too. Though it would have been nice if he had intercepted the mouthy bandit. Alas, Mr. Bigmouth had sounded the alarm. And Arenthiel had an even nicer line of fire to him and his friend than last time. He knew which one he was going to aim for first. The shouter. A little bit of extra shock for anyone who comes out following his voice. One second he's shouting you to come out, by the time you get there you realize you're just following the voice of a dead man. Leading you right to the place he died. And the enemies are still around. Could it be a trap? Were they about to take an arrow through the neck as they stood here panicking? Oh the mind games of hunter and prey.

Arenthiel smirked to himself as he lined up his next shot. Briefly he wondered if he should really be having this much fun killing people. Maybe that was something to worry about. Then again, this wasn't a murder. It was a hunt. A hunt for criminals and scumbags. And hunting was his happy place. It was his home. Not to mention he was making the world a better place by taking these kinds of people out of it. What did it matter if he had a little fun doing it? Never mind. He'd leave that sort of question to the philosophers. He let his arrow fly.

OOC:

Spoiler

Orcraniil

Orcraniil

Russet Potato

• Donator
  • 368 posts
Ziku Kalil -- Team Red

Well, things had taken quite the messy turn.

In our rush to clear the camp of bandits, we didn't think to hide any of the bodies. A returning party noticed the dead sentrys and one of them let loose a shout warning the guys in the cave of the potential danger. However, Arenthiel was quick to act and his aim was as sharp as ever. He cleanly dropped the bandit who was carrying someone over his shoulders without hitting the hostage. I gotta admit, despite his ruthlessness his skill with the bow is something to be admired. I crouched lower in the foliage as three of the bandits charged towards the mouth of the cave. I cringed as the situation got hairier. They might be bandits, but they weren't to be underestimated. Arenthiel still hadn't been discovered and was preparing to loose another arrow towards the one who had sounded the alarm. I'll move after Arenthiel fires his next shot. I'll target the bandit he doesn't hit and if all goes well I should be able to land a solid hit with the element of surprise as well as the shock from having his ally just taken out right in front of him. Once these guys outside are taken care of we can collapse on the bandits in the cave. I suppose no good plan survives contact with the enemy for long. 

I rolled Broken Fang in my hand once, uttered a small prayer under my breath to whatever God would listen, and steeled my heart for combat.

Spoiler

Edited by Orcraniil, 22 July 2016 - 02:06 AM.

tumblr_n8afhdCGiX1sg8zvco1_500.gif

Spoiler

Muninn

Muninn

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts

Geraint 

Red Team

Geraint felt both at ease and anxious about the turn of  events. With two of the bandits inside the cave leaving, the odds were practically even now. It was a one-one scenario, and Geraint felt that his team and he had the advantage. At the same time, he worried for the ones left outside. Two men  were outnumbered by the four he knew were out there, and there were probably more. It seemed that Deirdre felt it best to stay the course and seize opportunity, her decision helped Geraint put doubt from his mind for the time and focus on the singular task at hand. They would have to come to their aid after the three bandits in front of  them were handled..

Heading the small, sneaking party Geraint moved as carefully as he could on the right cave wall, right hand on the hilt of his sword ready to draw at a moments notice. Geraint inhaled through his nose and out his mouth to regulate and quiet his breathing. Halting just before he felt that he would lead the group too close to stay hidden, Geraint pondered on how to make the approach. Turning back to Deirdre, he whispered "I'll go first, cut left entirely... They'll turn left to greet me, hit them then." The idea was that Deirdre and Faye could attack almost unnoticed if they were focused on him. Geraint closed his eyes for a moment and focused his mind and breathing. He needed to attack quickly and prepare to recieve. After one slow inhale and exhale. Geraint drew his sword and darted to the left wall then straight. His first target was the left most bandit, Geraint lifted his blade over his shoulder mid-stride, minding the cave walls, and brought it down on his adversary.

OOC:

Spoiler

Geraint
Spoiler

Faye

Faye

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • Location黄金の郷

\\ Bandit Bashing

Things.. Are not really looking that good. Thanks to our folly of not hiding the dead bandits, these low-lives have now realized that they have been attacked. Some of them rushed outside while those who remained inside seemed to be preparing for a fight.

"Would Ziku be alright?" I wondered to myself.

Yet there is no time for such idle thoughts in the battlefield. Not if we want to seize the victory, at least. Quickly assessing the situation on hand, we wordlessly agreed that the best way to tackle this ordeal is to quickly root the Bandits left inside, and catch the ones outside in a pincer attack in hopes of making them surrender before too much harm could be done to Ziku and that Knife-ears Arienthel.

Three on three, the idea is for Geraint to launch the first attack and draw the attention of the Bandits (and some blood too, with some luck). Then, Honorable Sister would fire her Magicks at the surviving ones to disable them before they could retaliate to Geraint's assault. In the ensuing chaos, it would be my duty to disable the one by the fire, before he could regroup with the other two and overwhelm us with trained and experience-proven teamwork.

Would I be able to perform my duty? Would I not hesitate to end others' life? Could I, given the lack of experience and training to do so?

Only time will tell.

OOC Info:

Spoiler

Diabolical Rhapsody

Diabolical Rhapsody

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 642 posts

Bandit Bashing

As the trio sneaked around the cave with a better plan this time, Dierdre's leadership and tactics had assigned a tailor made role for everyone, with Geraint being the meat shield and herself as the Paladin, she left Faye to be herself and play the role of a cleaner. Their plan was to hit all the three bandits as one and make them falter from the shock. Sneaking pretty close up their cover was blown when Hagar noticed the silhouettes in the dancing flames and called them out. He immediately reached for his sword and the two sentries followed their comrade's action but it was a bit too late.

Geraint moved first, his movements showing none of the earlier uncertainty and his stance was relaxed. He was now initiated into the world of bounty hunting, whether he liked it or not. His sword came down sharply at the nearest sentry whose shield wasn't up in time, meaning that his heavy blade dug into his shoulder. Grimacing from the pain he retaliated with a thrust to Geraint's ribcage but he just sidestepped it to avoid it.

Dierdre meanwhile had finished her little prayer to Skadi and though she didn't know the incantation or the extent of her goddess's power she did feel the enormity of the blessings she held at her command as a bolt of ice was synthesized out of thin air and assaulted the other guard trying to flank Geraint. Hitting him at the edge of his shield and judging by his shriek she knew that it had found its target.

Faye took advantage of the commotion and assaulted the man by the fire, he was certainly bigger than her and also decently armed. Her quick thrust enabled her to attack his shield hand and make him drop his shield as he momentarily grabbed his left shoulder before lashing out at the speedy knight. The pommel of his sword struck her helmet as she dodged his swing acrobatically, shaking her a little bit but it wasn't something that she couldn't recover from.

--

On the outside however, things were changing up. As the group of five reached the entrance, Miles the fastest of them all. He saw Smith fall to the unknown archer in the woods. Gunnar was barely breathing and now Smith was down too. As he turned to look inside and ask others to hurry, he felt a spear pierce his insides and the world went dark.

Arenthiel had failed to put an arrow through the eye of the shouter, maybe he had misjudged the wind a little but he still did end up crushing his windpipe, that means he won't be shouting anymore. Ziku meanwhile had sneaked up to the entrance and saw a lone bandit come out before the others, this meant that he won't be facing all of them alone. He moved quickly, hoping that his reach would give him the necessary advantage in surprise as his spear pierced through the guts of the bandit standing at the entrance. Finally a kill to his name. What was coming next was a bit harder as the other four saw him and charged.

OOC

Spoiler

Edited by Diabolical Rhapsody, 26 July 2016 - 03:19 AM.

giphy.gif

If you have the time: 

Spoiler

Unbelievably Majestic

Unbelievably Majestic

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 232 posts

Arenthiel To'rah

The human, Arenthiel had not yet caught his name, had joined in. That was good, he'd taken one of them down. Very helpful. He should ask the boy for his name after the battle. When you fight together you earn that. Regardless of anything else, you deserve your name to be known. That was how Arenthiel saw it anyway. He took another arrow and, moving slow and smooth, he placed it to the bowstring. Things weren't going too bad, he mused with a grin. There were more enemies coming, but he and the human had at least taken care of the ones that they were already dealing with. The pair of them were holding the area well and weren't being overrun just yet. They might just make it through this in one piece. He lined up his shot and waited. The first enemy to rush out of the cave, and into his line of fire, would be his next target.

OOC:

Spoiler