Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Protagonist Journey to Villain

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

KeK

KeK

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationCyberworld

Hello batato readers.

As the title states I'm looking for different mangas/manhwa or whatever where our the protagonist start of good but along the way he became the very demon lord he set out to fight against. Or ended up as one by the end of the series.

I'm not at the moment picky since I'm currently looking across the board in this case. Fantasy, Sci-Fi, supernatural I don't really care what genre it is as long it is interesting enough story to tell.

I'll however, give bonus points to the one that can give me a manga that share similarities to the movie Chronicle ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1706593/ ).

That is all for now and thanks in advance.

Edited by KeK, 05 November 2014 - 10:50 PM.

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,650 posts
  • LocationThe Comfy Chair

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is Teppu...which only loosely fits what you're asking for. Still, if you want the protagonist to act like a villain, that's a good manga for it.

• KeK likes this

Previous Avatars • Music for February 21...not picked out yet.

phanta

phanta

Baked Potato

• MoonFlower Scans
  • 1,147 posts
  • LocationThe high ground

Death Note, I guess? You've probably read it already though...

penguin1.gif

~The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do~

Spoiler
Spoiler

Prinny Potato

Prinny Potato

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • LocationLand of Carnage

Lost + Brain

1324153758Prinny-Ahem.jpg

Seikah

Seikah

Potato

• Donator
  • 167 posts

Probably what this will end up as.

KeK

KeK

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationCyberworld

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is Teppu...which only loosely fits what you're asking for. Still, if you want the protagonist to act like a villain, that's a good manga for it.

Hrm... Look interesting I'll look into it.

Death Note, I guess? You've probably read it already though...

Sadly already read those a long time ago.

Probably what this will end up as.

Funny that I just started reading it yesterday and had just the same thought.

Well I should probably broaden the horizon. It hasn't just be mangas. It can also be manhwa or manhua if that helps. Only manhwa that probably fits my discription that I know of is "A Fairytale for the Demon Lord". I have yet to read it though. Other suggestion is appreciated.

P.S slightly off-topic. How do I hyperlink text? So I can avoid pasting the entire URL... ._.

phanta

phanta

Baked Potato

• MoonFlower Scans
  • 1,147 posts
  • LocationThe high ground
To hyperlink, type [ URL=your url here ] text [/ URL ] without the spaces

penguin1.gif

~The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do~

Spoiler
Spoiler

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

Equine non grata

• Members
  • 3,853 posts
  • LocationSan Escobar

Black Lagoon?
Destroy and Revolution, possibly.

P.S slightly off-topic. How do I hyperlink text? So I can avoid pasting the entire URL... ._.

Method #1:
Write whatever you want the link to be called, like "Amazing thingy"
Highlight it.
link.png - click this icon
Paste the url and click OK
Get: Amazing thingy

Method #2:
As phanta said, you can simply write [url=LINK_HERE]NAME_HERE[/url]

Mod-in-Disguise

FlQCNQa.gif

You <3

Whoever decided to delete this was an idiot.

| Handwritten kanji recognition || KanjiTomo || Kanji converter || J<->E Dictionary |

2hot4you

2hot4you

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationThe Wild
Sadly there are not a lot of manga like that, now i want to read them too xD

Cant think of any which havent been mentioned .-.
Ooooh maybeeee

Hanged Doll, though u need to read till the end, i wont spoil it

aovnZo7.png

S.C.

S.C.

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,258 posts
  • LocationThe Epicenter of Indifference

I'm a bit surprised nobody mentioned A Fairytale For The Demon Lord. :V

Posted Image

2hot4you

2hot4you

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationThe Wild

I'm a bit surprised nobody mentioned A Fairytale For The Demon Lord. :V

cause he mentioned it himself :P

You might wanna try this as well https://vatoto.com/comic/_/comics/knight-run-r275

the thing with what you want is, its kinda spoil sensitive. Most of these changes happen in the end, and you have to read the full manga for it to finally happen, and might drop it before it happens. meanwhile we cant tell you who is gonna change, cause that will take all the fun out of it xD

aovnZo7.png

Will of NGE

Will of NGE

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,701 posts
  • LocationGeofront

I suggest WATCHING Code Geass. It's amaizing.

But remember, WATCHING. It has 50 episodes and you'll always see it on TOP LISTS, and for a good reason as well.

Edited by Will of NGE, 31 October 2014 - 12:13 PM.

fkq1S2q.jpg

Gif Response Unit

Spoiler

KeK

KeK

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationCyberworld

First and foremost, thanks for the suggestions and how to hyperlink.

I did however watch Code Geass and even read some of the spin-offs mangas of it. As for knight run I'm currently reading it, awesome manhwa but sadly it isn't on batoto anymore and the offical scans are way behind... I will however, check out Hanged Doll, Black Lagoon and Destroy and Revolution.

the thing with what you want is, its kinda spoil sensitive. Most of these changes happen in the end, and you have to read the full manga for it to finally happen, and might drop it before it happens. meanwhile we cant tell you who is gonna change, cause that will take all the fun out of it xD

Oh I'm fully aware that this can be very spoiler sensitive. And as you said many times this happens at the end. Which in a sense a bummer since sometimes tha just begs for a continuation of some sort. And this doesn't help there is also many cases of anti-heros or outright villian protagonist from the very beginning.

I'm just suprised that there isn't that many series where the protagonist start out good then becomes a villian midway and then perhaps in the end of the story becomes good again, or stays evil or die as a villian. There are so many different outcomes. This seems to be the case that the trope doesn't seem to be that very popular nowadays. I know there are many that serves as a backstory of character(s) but that is not really what I'm looking for. I'll still take it.

I'll still wait and see what other recommendation you guys will give me before calling it a day.

Will of NGE

Will of NGE

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,701 posts
  • LocationGeofront

What about Berserk - The Golden Age Arc?

It starts hero to villian, compared to manga which has villian and then shows how it got to that then continues normaly.

fkq1S2q.jpg

Gif Response Unit

Spoiler

2hot4you

2hot4you

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationThe Wild

First and foremost, thanks for the suggestions and how to hyperlink.
I did however watch Code Geass and even read some of the spin-offs mangas of it. As for knight run I'm currently reading it, awesome manhwa but sadly it isn't on batoto anymore and the offical scans are way behind... I will however, check out Hanged Doll, Black Lagoon and Destroy and Revolution.

Oh I'm fully aware that this can be very spoiler sensitive. And as you said many times this happens at the end. Which in a sense a bummer since sometimes tha just begs for a continuation of some sort. And this doesn't help there is also many cases of anti-heros or outright villian protagonist from the very beginning.

I'm just suprised that there isn't that many series where the protagonist start out good then becomes a villian midway and then perhaps in the end of the story becomes good again, or stays evil or die as a villian. There are so many different outcomes. This seems to be the case that the trope doesn't seem to be that very popular nowadays. I know there are many that serves as a backstory of character(s) but that is not really what I'm looking for. I'll still take it.

I'll still wait and see what other recommendation you guys will give me before calling it a day.

im suprised too actually, but never thought much about it. Guess im used to goody 2 shoes mc's who cant be tempted by evil :/

I hope u can find some more, cause im pretty interested, particulary in mc's who start of good but circumsenses drive them to be evil, either because it seems to be the best choice or because they simply have no choice, and have to to save their friends

Theres gotta be a ton of the latter ._.

aovnZo7.png

KeK

KeK

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationCyberworld

What about Berserk - The Golden Age Arc?

It starts hero to villian, compared to manga which has villian and then shows how it got to that then continues normaly.

Berserk huh... Somehow I always avoided the manga. Still I hear so many great things about it. I guess it was way back when I avoided most of the dark stuff xD

I guess I should take my time and start reading it... But wait you mean the anime? Darn that thing is from the late 90s? I have such a hard time start watching old anime series... *cough* Monster *cough*

im suprised too actually, but never thought much about it. Guess im used to goody 2 shoes mc's who cant be tempted by evil :/

I hope u can find some more, cause im pretty interested, particulary in mc's who start of good but circumsenses drive them to be evil, either because it seems to be the best choice or because they simply have no choice, and have to to save their friends

Theres gotta be a ton of the latter ._.

As you said. Something like that I'm also looking for. Sadly instead these kind of stories serves often as a backstory of the villain.

Concerning this topic reminds me of a spoiler that I read in Mismarca Koukoku Monogatari comment section which happens after several volumes in the LN. Sadly the manga got axed before it got there so it ended on a happy note. There is also no signs of any anime adaptation any time soon and the LN translation seems to be in hiatus... Why?! This seems to be one of the very thing I'm looking for.

Will of NGE

Will of NGE

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,701 posts
  • LocationGeofront
No, not the old anime. The new ones. It's made as three movies, Egg of the King > Battle for Doldrey > Descent.
I do recommend seing the movies instead of episodes, after that you'll grab the manga and won't stop till you drop. I had four people I know watch it, and all four proceeded to read the shit out of it.
DO WATCH NOW! It's about 4 hours to watch all three :D
AND I WANT TO HEAR EVERY THOUGHT YOU HAD WHEN YOU ARE DONE!!!

fkq1S2q.jpg

Gif Response Unit

Spoiler

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

The Golden Age arc of Berserk counts, yes.

Maybe:

- Qualia the Purple: starts like a light-hearted yuri, but later on become a batshit crazy sci-fi with the protagonist hopping dimensions and pulling off the insane.

- Kubera (maybe): it starts like a typical fantasy at first, but becomes really dark later on (you know how Madoka seems like a typical magical girls story at first but then devolves into something unexpected? Kubera is kind of like that, but more drawn out and with several dozen connected mystery threads being developed in parallel). It has 10 main characters and several of the main characters either turn out to be not-so-good or are heading towards a villain path.

- Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind: it won't seem like it for most of the series, but the decision at the end was kind of a shocker (to me).

- Bokurano: well I just spoiled the series. :P But the psychological side of it is quite interesting.

Edited by Mizura, 03 November 2014 - 04:58 AM.

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,
Official English Webtoons: https://www.webtoons.com

Shrimpeh

Shrimpeh

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationCity of Legacia

How about The Rising of the Shield Hero?
I heard that something like that is gonna happen there...

Edited by Shrimperor Alex, 03 November 2014 - 11:28 AM.

Lonely-signature.png

my ideal girl: nice, shy, beautiful, loyal, outgoing, half-traditonal, half modern,  preferably black hair or red hair, has a sense of humor, a little nerd-ish / otaku-ish. 

Archieewee

Archieewee

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 13 posts

Try Holyland. It's not fantasy, but it's pretty good.