Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Aired episodes discussion (beware the spoilers)

• Please log in to reply
567 replies to this topic

Nyuu3

Nyuu3

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 82 posts

If they do a split cour, ending episode 12/13 with Owl's appearance would be the biggest troll move I can think of. On the other hand, the second cour would start with Owl and end with Owl.

I once read on 2ch that the booklet some people got with volume 12 contains hints that they intend to animate the Kanou lab arc. I don't know what kind of hints the booklet contained exactly. But it's a slight hope that they want to do a split cour.

Edit: OK, it's the second greatest troll move. The greatest troll move would be stopping with Kaneki sitting in the torture chair.

Okay, that actually worries me. I figured they'd rush to the currently scanlated chapters, but it didn't occur to me they might rush past them.

I guess I could avoid watching anything the scanlations haven't covered, but I'm sure the other readers will let me know what happened.

Damn it, Pierrot, hold your horses.

Jaded

Jaded

Potato Spud

• Donator
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Southeast US.

It will probably make a decent anime even at 13 eps.  At the same time, all they will have to sacrifice to reach where the translations are now will be a terrible shame.  Would Kaneki's reunion with Touka have had the same impact if we hadn't followed them both through so much?

Old McDonald

Old McDonald

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 850 posts

Well, that was some heavy censoring... Or maybe it was also my livestream, I will have to rewatch it...

Edited by Old McDonald, 10 July 2014 - 04:42 PM.

favole

favole

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

Not bad, I actually liked the pace this time. What I thought was funny was that Rize is probably going to be more around in the anime than she was in the manga (but again, the first manga arc was a long time ago for me, so I may not be remembering things accurately) and even if I'm not sure whether I'll like that or not, for the moment it's interesting.

Two moments were weird though: was it the same for you guys? Right before the opening, it turned all black during the last part of the "fight" with Touka and I didn't understand why... One more thing: when Kaneki was beating Nishiki up, maybe they wanted to avoid showing lots of blood but the colors used instead were...weird. I didn't like it.

Other than that, good pace, and I'm glad Amon and Mado were introduced at the end, even if the concept of "Doves" wasn't explained yet (but it's probably still too early).

x-cube323

x-cube323

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 237 posts

the animation was average... but we can't expect more from Studio Pierrot I guess. They never were very talented when it comes to animation.

The censorship in this episode was extremely annoying...especially when Kaneki stabbed Nishiki (I hope the blu ray versions keep the colour format like it's supposed to be)

Kaneki's psycho moments were good though. I think Pierrot did a pretty good job with integrating Rize more in the anime.

The pacing was ok this time...although we already got introduced to Mado and Amon at the end. (I already love Mado's voiceactor)

I REALLY hope that the TV version won't get censored too much. I want to see those blurred scenes when somebody uploads the blu ray versions^^

Oh and the opening f*cking spoiled white haired Kaneki xD

Edited by x-cube323, 10 July 2014 - 05:26 PM.

Usha

Usha

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 12 posts

How was that integrating Rize into Kaneki? God, I'm a bit ragey right now. Kaneki is Kaneki, and Rize is a concept now, Rize has her moments where it is important that she appears (manga Aogiri arc). 

This way it seems Rize is pulling the strings on Kaneki's hunger or ghoul thinking, while it's all Kaneki, 100% of it. 

Also .........  Kaneki rode Nishiki's blue kagune. What... (why is it blue? xD). 

Some things I didn't like but I'll accept, the only accurate part was the omake animated after the ending xD. 

But really really really, Rize doesn't need to be "integrated" there. Since Rize is gone. And this is all Kaneki on his own. 

PS: Still shocked on Kaneki riding the kagune.

この 世界 は 間違っている!

bakaneki

bakaneki

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 39 posts

Quick question, anyone know who is the artist for the illustration in the ED? I LOVED it!

favole

favole

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

Quick question, anyone know who is the artist for the illustration in the ED? I LOVED it!

I know right? :) it was beautiful! Maybe Ishida-sensei?

Edited by favole, 10 July 2014 - 06:41 PM.

DorkingtonPugsly

DorkingtonPugsly

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Liked the op animation a lot but I was expecting more movement and stuff and not so many still scenes.

White Kaneki gave me the chills :> 

EDIT: Both Juuzou and Ayato are in the op and Akira's in the ending image and from the episode summaries Old Mcdonald posted, even if my deduction that it'll be a split-cour turns out right (because of the weird bluray releases) I have no idea where they're taking this series. 

From Natsuki Hanae's voice when Kaneki was going off his rocker, I can expect him to do super well as white kaneki (and hopefully sometime in the future as half-kakuja kaneki) it was perfect.

Once the scene with Kaneki ripping through Nishiki is in normal colors it'll look great. I enjoyed the animation/voice acting there despite the colors. Reminded me of Monogatari series.

Two moments were weird though: was it the same for you guys? Right before the opening, it turned all black during the last part of the "fight" with Touka and I didn't understand why... 

They just had to censor a lot of the stuff like the head she through onto his lap.

Oh and the opening f*cking spoiled white haired Kaneki xD

I know right :c But they've been showing white haired kaneki for sometime now in the promotional posters and everything so it's not a surprise anymore.

I know right? :) it was beautiful! Maybe Ishida-sensei?

That wasn't Ishida but the art seems familiar to it's gotta be someone I know, just can't think of it...

It's gorgeous though

Edited by DorkingtonPugsly, 10 July 2014 - 07:13 PM.

favole

favole

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

A quick question because I can't check it myself, sorry: did Hide really wake up in the manga, like he did in the anime? I don't remember it that way, in the manga...

x-cube323

x-cube323

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 237 posts

That's how Kaneki vs. Nishiki would've looked without the colour change (just pictures)

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/3157856392

Edited by x-cube323, 10 July 2014 - 08:35 PM.

ello

ello

Russet Potato

• Renzokusei Scans
  • 241 posts

I really liked the first episode but didnt like the pacing this time and the Rize thing wasnt neccessary either imo.....

A quick question because I can't check it myself, sorry: did Hide really wake up in the manga, like he did in the anime? I don't remember it that way, in the manga...

yeah, he woke up in the manga as well but hasnt been mentioned later at all IIRC...

http://vatoto.com/read/_/157195/tokyo-ghoul_v1_ch9_by_twisted-hel-scans/22

Edited by Usamaro, 10 July 2014 - 08:38 PM.

Coralira

Coralira

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 96 posts
I'm finding this adaption painful to watch but.. I must.. See.. The other characters.
They didn't explain that ghouls can heal fast did they? Yet we see Kaneki walking around with this huge gash In his stomach. It feels so shounen lol.
They are putting Rize in for fanservice if you ask me...

Edited by Coralira, 10 July 2014 - 09:47 PM.

Traumatic Tomato

Traumatic Tomato

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 203 posts

Wth, censoring escalated to almost 70% of the screen is dark and black in the beginning. Sad day for anime, being heavily censored by Japanese media.

Update: Just finished watching new episode

Things I liked:

- ED and pics

- That omake in the end

- The voices and animation (Yoshimura's voice sounds more stern than I expected, quite good indeed)

- Hide's dashing technique

- So much content, I can probably watch it over again

Disliked the:

- Censorship, although I thought that fight with Nishiki was brilliantly done through since it shifts Kaneki's state of mind from battle to insanity.

- Almost never a minute of brief silence, they added a lot of dialogue and it gave me that feeling of being rushed into the plot

Trailer song was used again as OP and the OP song itself wasn't within my tastes. But they revamped the art style in a cool way. It's a decent episode.

Update2: Posted in the wrong thread, was a long day today.

Edited by Traumatic Tomato, 11 July 2014 - 12:03 AM.

Old McDonald

Old McDonald

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 850 posts

EDIT: Both Juuzou and Ayato are in the op and Akira's in the ending image and from the episode summaries Old Mcdonald posted, even if my deduction that it'll be a split-cour turns out right (because of the weird bluray releases) I have no idea where they're taking this series.

I suspect that the playwright Mikasano only agreed to write the script under the condition that he is allowed to change the story how he sees fit. I think these changes are mostly his doing. But I fear many manga readers will start screaming "but in the manga it wasn't this way!!!!111eleven" and won't judge the anime for itself. Looking at the episode summaries, the anime will not follow the manga to the letter, they are doing their own thing. That may turn out great, that may turn out bad, but it's not a good idea to watch this anime while constantly comparing it to the manga. That will just destroy any possible enjoyment from the anime. Maybe it's better to consider it an alternate story and not a retelling of the same one, even if they keep all the important plot points and only rearrange the events in time.

At least episodes 3-5 won't need that much censoring, they will probably be quite light-hearted.

Edited by Old McDonald, 10 July 2014 - 11:18 PM.

meridian meriadoc

meridian meriadoc

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 12 posts

I suspect that the playwright Mikasano only agreed to write the script under the condition that he is allowed to change the story how he sees fit. I think these changes are mostly his doing. But I fear many manga readers will start screaming "but in the manga it wasn't this way!!!!111eleven" and won't judge the anime for itself. Looking at the episode summaries, the anime will not follow the manga to the letter, they are doing their own thing. That may turn out great, that may turn out bad, but it's not a good idea to watch this anime while constantly comparing it to the manga. That will just destroy any possible enjoyment from the anime. Maybe it's better to consider it an alternate story and not a retelling of the same one, even if they keep all the important plot points and only rearrange the events in time.

At least episodes 3-5 won't need that much censoring, they will probably be quite light-hearted.

I agree with you---I think the better approach is just to enjoy the anime as it is without comparing it TOO much to the manga. I think there are pros and cons whenever any kind of literature is adapted to TV or film and the biggest complaints I've always noticed is pacing and 'OMG they changed it now it sux'

that being said, I feel like they won't butcher it too much. At least we know the action will be good! As for the censoring--I'm sure when the blu-rays come out it'll be a better experience. 

I for one am not going to nit-pick unless a major development is fumbled--namely, the Aogiri arc. The torture and subsequent Kaneki/Yamori showdown better be visceral or else i'm going to stay away until the uncensored DVDs come out!

x-cube323

x-cube323

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 237 posts

I actually don't care if they change a lot of stuff...

I just want that the anime get's more people to read the manga so that it can become more popular in Europe and America

The manga definitely deserves more readers and so far the anime does an amzing job on hooking the viewers

Edited by x-cube323, 11 July 2014 - 01:07 AM.

epitope

epitope

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 13 posts

Not sure if I'm gleaning too much from the second episode, but what do you all think of

Spoiler

I have no idea if what I spoiler'd was already mentioned elsewhere, or whether the raws already confirmed it. However, I'll still be happy that I deduced this on my own. :D

favole

favole

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

Not sure if I'm gleaning too much from the second episode, but what do you all think of

Spoiler

I have no idea if what I spoiler'd was already mentioned elsewhere, or whether the raws already confirmed it. However, I'll still be happy that I deduced this on my own. :D

If you don't wanna know the answer, don't read my spoiler.

Spoiler

Come to the raw thread, if you want the answer to be elaborated :) (expect spoilers for everything though!)

Last Phantom

Last Phantom

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

I completely lost it during the scene after the credits when Kaneki was spreading rumors of Nishio eating manure... "You're a disgrace as a ghoul." *SOB*

Only problem so far is the censorship, rushed feeling, and the overkill of Rize hallucinations.

600full-my-profile.jpg600full-my-profile.jpg600full-my-profile.jpg